Image ImageImage Image

If you were AK, who is the first core player you would trade?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#1 » by 2018C3 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:37 pm

If I had the power, I'd dangle out both Lauri, and Wendell, and see what is offered in return, and build from there, I don't see either guy becoming a star, and would take the chance on trading either while the value is still somewhat high.

If you had all the power, which players you dangle out for a trade?
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Re: If you were AK, who is the first core player you would trade? 

Post#2 » by coldfish » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:41 pm

It takes two to tango. If some other team was willing to offer up something good, no player currently on the team would be untouchable.

The only player I would even attach a significant price tag to would be Lavine. Lauri in particular could be had for a song and a dance given his contract status.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#3 » by Andi Obst » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:42 pm

It always comes down to what you can get back. Everyone should be available at the right price.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
2018C3
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by 2018C3 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:46 pm

I agree, Lavine is this organizations largest asset. If we were to go into complete rebuild mode, he could help kickstart a complete new era.

But I'd personally like to see him stay.

Maybe the question that needs to be asked, is in 2-3 years is Lavine a guy who other players will want to come here here and play with. Honestly I do not know?
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#5 » by dougthonus » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:46 pm

There isn't much desirable on our roster right now. I'd guess that it ends up being the case that not trading core players is better than the offers that will be on the table.

Thad Young seems like a guy whom makes sense to move that will probably have an offer that's reasonable relative to our situation.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
JimmyButler21
Starter
And1: 1,570

Post#6 » by JimmyButler21 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:00 pm

Carter Jr is probably the only piece I don't want to see traded right now.

Edit: And Coby White but if they were to determine that they'd rather trade him at sky high value, I'd even be fine with that
2018C3
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by 2018C3 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:01 pm

Yea, Thad should be moved to team that is closer to the goal than we are. That's a given.
2018C3
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by 2018C3 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:06 pm

JimmyButler21 wrote:Carter Jr is probably the only piece I don't want to see traded right now.

I respect your opinion, but am ready to move on towards younger prospects if the opportunity arises. I just don't see any championship star quality in Wendell, and think his position could be easily replaced at a similar production with a cheaper vet fill in place holder.
MikeDC
Analyst
And1: 1,917

Post#9 » by MikeDC » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:11 pm

Jim Boylen traded to Subway for a Five Dollar Footlong.

Otherwise the only guy that is sensible to trade is Lauri because he’s going to be due a new contract and he might get a decent return. His trade porridge is just right.

There’s not much sense in trading The other somewhat valuable guys because they aren’t likely to get anything back that makes sense for us. That’s Coby, Zach, and Wendell. Listen but don’t expect anything that makes sense.

If we can get out from under Thad or Sato’s contracts then sure, do it, but I don’t expect that to happen.

Really the question is backwards. You don’t want to work by process of elimination. They question should be what does AKME want to build.

A trade is about what you are getting back more than what you are getting rid of.
MikeDC
Analyst
And1: 1,917

Post#10 » by MikeDC » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:12 pm

2018C3 wrote:
JimmyButler21 wrote:Carter Jr is probably the only piece I don't want to see traded right now.

I respect your opinion, but am ready to move on towards younger prospects if the opportunity arises. I just don't see any championship star quality in Wendell, and think his position could be easily replaced at a similar production with a cheaper vet fill in place holder.

Er... you can’t get a lot younger than him.
2018C3
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by 2018C3 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:19 pm

Its a general concurrences that Pax did a horrible job in filling this this roster. That's one of the reasons he is no longer are GM. It's foolish to think his plan of picks will have success, If you believe that we should have kept him.

Its now a new era, and I believe moves should be made sooner rather than later.

This team needs a new identity, and culture change.

The obvious move to stir the pot is to bring in a new coach, but I'm starting to loose faith that will happen.
mack2354
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#12 » by mack2354 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:34 pm

I'm going to say Lauri. I like Zach a lot and think he'd be an All - Star if he had better players with him. I liked what I saw in Coby and he got better as the year went on so I'd keep him. For "core" that leaves Lauri and WCJ. I think WCJ's poor performance can be blamed on Boylen and the system where as I think Lauri's poor performance has more to do with what's in between his ears. It is a guarantee that Boylen will be gone either 1 month from now or 1 year from now. It's not a guarantee that Lauri will ever fix himself.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#13 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:26 pm

Carter and/or Lauri. Carter has show much offensive skill at all and defensively I'm not sure he is much better than the guy from Arkansas who is MUCH better finisher around the rim.

Lauri is a head case. Seems to somehow have become a soft Euro after looking be a well rounder scorer initially. I would not pay him based on his current resume.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#14 » by League Circles » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:26 pm

Obviously every player on the team should be aggressively shopped right now. And for the past few years. The only players you don't shop are really good players on good teams. We suck.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,697

Post#15 » by nitetrain8603 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:41 pm

The only one I would hesitate with is LaVine. He's still really young and he's a monster offensively. He also has good relationships around the NBA. Lauri/Wendell would be put out there simultaneously and I'd even be fine packaging them together if the return is worth it. I know we wouldn't get a star with them, but a very high pick would do it.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,652

Post#16 » by sco » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:52 pm

Should have been a poll.

I think they won't trade any of Coby, Zach, Lauri, WCJ or Gafford before next season's trade deadline at the soonest. They all shown enough to warrant a closer look under a new coach/with a healthy line-up. Also, nobody on that list has enough trade value to bring back a young budding star.

IMO the value ranking in terms of what guys could bring back in trade from that group are:

Zach
Coby
Lauri
Gafford
WCJ

If I were AK and just ordering the guys I'd want to be rid of with the hope of replacing with equal talent, it would be:

WCJ
Lauri
Gafford
Coby
Zach

I like WCJ, but I think his career will be defined by his tweener problem. Next is Lauri, who's potential may top out as a starting stretch 4 who isn't a playmaker or a good defender.
:clap:
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,610

Post#17 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:29 am

With Gafford's solid rookie year I won't be shocked if WCJ is on the table to be moved.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,636

Post#18 » by Dez » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:41 am

Repeat 3-peat wrote:With Gafford's solid rookie year I won't be shocked if WCJ is on the table to be moved.

I would be given Gafford is just a back-up big, his play was good but in no way did he make WCJ expendable.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#19 » by drosereturn » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:43 am

coldfish wrote:The only player I would even attach a significant price tag to would be Lavine. Lauri in particular could be had for a song and a dance given his contract status.

I dont buy this argument as it lacks logic. You say trade Lauri bc of contract status but its better Lauri didnt sign an extension earlier bc he will be getting way less money than he is worth. I am looking MLE numbers due to covid when he should have gotten twice that.

As much as I want to keep Lavine, its impossible due to his contract status. He is a UFA in 2yrs and with guys like Jamal, CJ struggling, he will get paid more than those guys minimum going by market rate. Also he has by far the highest trade value so if you want to rebuild fast, trading him first makes sense to turn him into multiple young stars drafted by AK. In terms of trade value, he has already hit absolute peak there is no way to go up but only down.

Same with White. He had a terrible rookie season and yet he seems to have better value than his draft position due to the impressive 1 month performance. Would actively try to trade him if I get at least #7 this yr given that you save 1 more yr.

As much as I absolutely hate Carter, he is not getting traded because of his garbage trade value. It would make sense to up his value and Lauri's before even looking to explore trade scenarios.
As much as Gafford is my favorite Bull, would look to trade him for a lottery pick this yr since he has more value than Carter.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#20 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:54 am

Dez wrote:
Repeat 3-peat wrote:With Gafford's solid rookie year I won't be shocked if WCJ is on the table to be moved.

I would be given Gafford is just a back-up big, his play was good but in no way did he make WCJ expendable.

Could easily see Gafford being a starter. He plays good defense, finishes well and can rebound. Carter is nothing special.

Return to Chicago Bulls