TPE/MLE/Draft

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Re: TPE/MLE/Draft 

Post#41 » by DAWill1128 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:44 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:Satoransky I have always felt made sense for us, he's 6-7 and has a strong bball iq and floor vision. Satoransky is not the defender Livingston was who was a really strong defender for a point guard. But Satoransky has a better outside shot than Shaun ever had and the extra spacing could be nice.

I was really surprised tonight seeing Reggie Jackson being matched up to defend LeBron tonight. I would never think of a point guard defending LeBron by tactical choice, but was really impressed by his ability to stave off LeBron in match ups. LeBron had a great game but I was impressed with the job Reggie did. I guess it makes sense in some ways because Reggie is strong laterally and LeBron really doesn't post up hardly ever and nobody fears his jump shot. I would take Reggie if we could get him.

I agree on RJax, I think he's going to settle in as a longtime backup PG. Unfortunately for us, he's perfect for the Clippers and could play just as many minutes as Beverley. He's also ideal opposite Lou Williams defensively with his strong frame and quick feet. I think he gets a multi-year MLE deal with them next season.

The one thing I wonder about the Clippers is how are they going to pay everyone next year. If you look at the Clippers roster construction you realize the reason they are the favorites is because Lou (8M) and Harrell (6M) are on big time discounts. Harrell, Morris, Jackson, Patterson are all free agents and even Green can turn down a player option, how do they pay all these guys? If Harrell draws solid interest than that basically locks in the core of players they have, they won't really have any wiggle room going forward to improve. If they lost Harrell and as Lou draws towards 35 are they really the favorites? The Clippers are great on depth of discount deals, but this year is the best they will be imo.

I could see the Bulls being discontent with Satoransky, he's not a good starting point guard and he's blocking minutes from a high draft pick which every fan base hates. But for Satoransky for us is just a tall backup ball handler (Livingston), not a terrible use of the TPE.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#42 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:39 pm

TB wrote:Thad Young still seems like the best option of players that may not require giving any picks up. Let's say we can't snag a guy like Smart or Oubre using TPE and a pick...

Not sure what you mean by not giving up any picks. You have to give up something, at least a second rounder. Maybe you mean not a 1st.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,144

Post#43 » by TB » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:48 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
TB wrote:Thad Young still seems like the best option of players that may not require giving any picks up. Let's say we can't snag a guy like Smart or Oubre using TPE and a pick...

Not sure what you mean by not giving up any picks. You have to give up something, at least a second rounder. Maybe you mean not a 1st.

I could be wrong, but can't you just trade a TPE for a player? If a team doesn't want to have that 14m on their books, they would just trade the player for the TPE. We wouldn't need to "sweeten the deal" by adding picks, since we are saving the team money.

Whereas, a guy like Marcus Smart is too good to just dump salary (especially since the Celtics are in win now and he helps them). In that scenario, the TPE isn't enough and we'd need to sweeten the deal with at least 1 first round pick.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#44 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:17 pm

TB wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

I could be wrong, but can't you just trade a TPE for a player? If a team doesn't want to have that 14m on their books, they would just trade the player for the TPE. We wouldn't need to "sweeten the deal" by adding picks, since we are saving the team money.

Trade exceptions are never traded. The Warriors' trade exception is merely a continuation of the Iguodala trade (a non-simultaneous trade), where the Warriors can take back up to Iguodala's salary (plus 100k). IOW, the Warriors can trade $0 (a draft pick) and take back up to $17.3M, to complete the Iggy trade. They can break it up and, for instance, take Barton into the TE and someone else for the rest of it.

Sometimes it looks like the trade exceptions are traded because, in this case, for instance, Denver would get a $13.9M trade exception (Barton's salary) but they are two separate things.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#45 » by The Maestro » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:24 am

TPE: Iggy
MLE: GR3 and MCW
Draft: Wiseman (Trade him with Wiggins/picks for Giannis)
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#46 » by ShayDee » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:06 am

TPE: Tony Snell
MLE: Dragic (Pls just take it)
Draft: Wiseman + one of Sam Merill/Desmond Bane/Saddiq Bey
Mins: GR3, Spellman

Trade: Looney to Celtics for 26
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,205

Post#47 » by wco81 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:45 pm

Why trade Looney? To shed salary?

He's played big minutes in big playoffs games.

Are they going to get a player who's ready to step in in such games?
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by DAWill1128 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:55 pm

I think the franchise grabs a large contract like James Johnson with the TPE no matter what and monitors Looney going into the trade deadline. At the deadline they will package the TPE player plus James Johnson to get into the 20 million range where they can get someone like Gordon or Aldridge for pennies on the dollar. Look at how the Cavs got Drummond for like nothing.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#49 » by ShayDee » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:21 pm

wco81 wrote:Why trade Looney? To shed salary?

He's played big minutes in big playoffs games.

Are they going to get a player who's ready to step in in such games?

I mean the question is, is he going to be healthy enough? He is also on an expiring so are we going to pay him after next year? Also We have Chriss that everyone supposedly loves that seems healthy and capable, Draymond would play small ball 5 and Every one wants to get a starting C if it's not Wiseman. That's already 3 Cs ahead of Looney? So where does that leave him?

Would he take all Chriss minutes in the playoffs? Because I think he might get like 8 mins/game and I think we can relocate them to Dray, the Starting C and Chriss
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#50 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:28 pm

Looney, when healthy, is a quality NBA big. I hope his health issues last year were made to look more severe because of the tanking, and don't represent his real injury severity.

Unfortunately in sports everything can be qualified with "if healthy".

Curry is a dominant 2 time MVP and helped make the Warriors nearly unbeatable over the last 5 years ... if they are healthy. If healthy the Warriors probably are looking at going for their 6th straight title in a row.

That said, teams are going to keep betting on player health while trying to maximize their chances of being healthy by managing their minutes. It's true for Kawhi, and it's true for Looney.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#51 » by ShayDee » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:52 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:Looney, when healthy, is a quality NBA big. I hope his health issues last year were made to look more severe because of the tanking, and don't represent his real injury severity.

Curry is a dominant 2 time MVP and helped make the Warriors nearly unbeatable over the last 5 years ... if they are healthy. If healthy the Warriors probably are looking at going for their 6th straight title in a row.

That said, teams are going to keep betting on player health while trying to maximize their chances of being healthy by managing their minutes. It's true for Kawhi, and it's true for Looney.

Question. How much you willing to give Looney 2021 FA?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,205

Post#52 » by wco81 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:08 pm

If he still has health issues, Looney isn't going to fetch much in a trade anyways.

Chriss may be okay in big games but we don't know yet.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#53 » by xdrta+ » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:34 pm

ShayDee wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:Looney, when healthy, is a quality NBA big. I hope his health issues last year were made to look more severe because of the tanking, and don't represent his real injury severity.

Looney has a $5M player option for 2021, so the Warriors may not have much choice.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#54 » by ShayDee » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:46 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

Looney has a $5M player option for 2021, so the Warriors may not have much choice.

Oh wait I forgot they gave him 3 years. Alright then, but if he plays like this year in 2021 season then would you be ok to give up on him? That's 6 years in nba with no real improvement from college, injury concerns, undersozed, not really athletic and even by then he wont be worth anything in the trade market, maybe a 2nd
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#55 » by xdrta+ » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:22 pm

ShayDee wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

Oh wait I forgot they gave him 3 years. Alright then, but if he plays like this year in 2021 season then would you be ok to give up on him? That's 6 years in nba with no real improvement from college, injury concerns, undersozed, not really athletic and even by then he wont be worth anything in the trade market, maybe a 2nd

Oh, for sure, if the next two years are like this year, I'm pretty sure the Warriors would give up on him.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by DAWill1128 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:23 pm

If we don't take a center at the top of the draft I would be interested in moving up from our 2nd rounders to get Paul Reed. Reed measures out like Looney only he's a more fluid athlete with an actual outside shot and some touch around the hoop.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:34 am

ShayDee wrote:

Sorry, I'm not the person to ask. I figure it isn't my team so I don't care what he makes. The Warriors did pretty good with Curry's contract when he was injured, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I will say that Looney's scoring offensive game has disappointed me, but his game overall, when healthy, was FAR better than I ever expected it to be.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,816

Post#58 » by cdubbz » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:26 am

Dion Waiters for MLE?! Would be a nice 6th man. Wild card for sure though.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:09 pm

ShayDee wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

He has significantly improved since college, but his health hasn't which is his biggest issue. But yeah, if he can't play 60+ games this year he's unlikely to get another contract, and certainly not more than a minimum.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,816

Post#60 » by cdubbz » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:13 am

Gary Trent Jr is going off. Was hoping to steal him from the Blazers
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.

Return to Golden State Warriors