ImageImage

2020 free agent targets and draft picks

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Re: 2020 free agent targets and draft picks 

Post#301 » by Blazinaway » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:53 pm

Goldbum wrote:I like a lot of your trade ideas GEE but that feels like an awful deal for Ross. Like a serious serious overpay. He could be a nice mid level talent to look at but thats 3 positive assets for an non star player.

EDIT: I could see a TPE/Little/#44 for Ross. We then cut Ariza and Ross becomes our starting SF. I hate to give up little so early but you're right we are in a win now mode and Ross would really open up the floor as a catch and shoot weapon. So that's 2 lesser assets plus the TPE for a player in Ross who fits the Dame/CJ time-line. GTJ stays on as a 6th man and we can get another piece for the bench in round 1.

and if Trent is for real which it appears do we really want/need Ross?
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#302 » by GEE » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:45 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
GEE wrote:As far as trades, I stand firm on my belief that we are in the window NOW, we are close to fully built, and I feel a big trade is both unnecessary and risky. Like a boat in the water, it's currently smooth sailing, but if you add a big personality like AG or Bamba, it could rock the boat. If you do this trade we would be saying bye to Whiteside and likely Hood as well, and I love both going forward.

Lastly, I did punch up the proposed trade in the trade checker, and stumbled onto my newest, most favorite and boring trade of the year... the finishing touch: GTJ / TPE / #14 for Terrence Ross. I absolutely love this second unit with:
We added two big personalities in Melo and Whiteside and that seemed to go well enough from the cultural fit perspective. I'm not worried about Gordon. He seems like a guy who would be happy in a complimentary and more efficient role. Bamba has the exact same mental and "attitude" problems Nurkic did when we acquired him except his physical profile is more impressive. I am perfectly happy letting Whiteside go if we get Bamba. I would like to keep Hood though and doubt there is a market for him as anything other than an ending contract given the nature of his injury. He has no value until he steps on a court again and proves his worth.

I love Ross and his game fits us perfectly. Your trade isn't legal though since you can't combine a TPE with a player to reach the matching salary threshold.

I'm aware of the overpay in that trade idea, but meant to, to prove a point. We have the assets, and if we can get that perfect fit, final piece, then overpay if needed.

I also admit to not being familiar with how TPEs work in trades, but Olshey sure seems to enjoy acquiring them. Maybe someone wants to school me on this.

How does a TPE work exactly? What is legal? Is it generally just TPE for a player, or can a pick be added to the TPE with cost of pick being weighed? If a players from both sides are involved, does it then need to be like: player X and TPE traded for player Y and Z?

Another solid piece like Ross (but not necessarily Ross) without giving up GTJ, would be great, TPE + #14 for best wing available. Aaron Gordon just feels like too big a splash, plus if he can't shoot the 3 well, good luck getting in Stott's good graces.

Last, What level of player could we get with a bigger package" of Little, TPE/s, #14, and 2022 FRP? Can that get you a AG level of player? AG is a big name, but will he improve the team more than Hood will?

I will now go into evaluation mode with our current squad over the remainder of this season to see how well they all gell together for the common cause... the title, a trophy parade for the city, and an MVP for Dame.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#303 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:25 am

Whoever brought up TJ Warren's name... I like what I've seen from.him. how do you get him to leave Indiana?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#304 » by Goldbum » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:52 pm

Obviously the draft is a crap shoot. As fans.we have no idea how a guy is going to develop. Go back and read the scouting report on GTJ before he was drafted...i mean comparison =Buddy Hield ? ??
An extended piece about how he can't guard NBA wings?
Wow. I remember telling the wife after the draft that it was funny because if we had taken Trent in round 1 and Simons round 2 I would have been happier just because I had followed GTJ's career as a fan of his dad. Guarantee half the guy picked before us will be busts. We have got to trust N.O. and believe he is going to capitalize on someone's mistake. Right now I've changed my top picks from wings to PG as I feel ANT is a modern 2 guard and Gary may start at SF next year. Both Kira Lewis and Cole Anthony could be available and that's serious value in the middle of round one. I like Anthony for a lot of the same sentimental reasons I liked GTJ, but a Lewis and Ant combo off the bench could be the fastest PG/SG combo in the entire league. I draft a center in round 2 as it seems like another position with quality guys getting pushed down the board in a wing hungry league.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,846

Post#305 » by Norm2953 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:15 am

THis is going to be an interesting summer for depending on the final numbers of the cap and tax lines
for there will be glut of free agents with only a handful of teams able to pay them. The big question
we all know is how this team can deepen its front court and unless the NBA allows teams to workout
players prior to the draft, teams will be left with zoom interviews making this draft a real crap shoot.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#306 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Aug 6, 2020 7:13 pm

Assuming that we are not in the spending game because of COVID, which I think will be our move, I am looking at this as a semi realistic offseason (In this scenario, we get the 8 seed and pick 17)

TPE + 44 to Boston for Kanter + 30 *** Boston saves money after a Gordon extension, PDX gets a cheap'ish backup who was previously a good fit ***

17 - Tyler Bey PF - Yes, I think he is a PF despite being 6'7 and 216lbs. We give him a year to put on weight and he can become the small ball PF compliment to our jumbo Collins. His motor is insane, his defensive is elite at the college level and he has a developing 3PT shot. There is a chance that Little is the PF and Bey the SF, but regardless I want to load this team with high effort, defensive oriented athletes. He is just that. https://www.nba.com/draft/2020/prospects/tyler-bey#/

30 - Tre Jones PG - He has a low ceiling but as a backup PG his skillset is ideal. Defensive oriented, enough of a 3 to keep them honest and more natural playmaking abilities than we have had in a backup PG for years. I expect he would take the spot from Simons as a rookie. https://www.nba.com/draft/2020/prospects/tre-jones#/

Waive Ariza to save $, give Melo some sort of 1 year deal, start GTJ until Hood is healthy. When healthy, we are looking at:

G - Damian Lillard / Tre Jones / Anfernee Simons
G - CJ McCollum / Gary Trent Jr / Anfernee Simons
F - Rodney Hood / Gary Trent Jr / Nassir Little / Weynen Gabriel / Tyler Bey
F - Zach Collins / Carmelo Anthony / Weynen Gabriel / Tyler Bey
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Enes Kanter / Moses Brown

Pretty straightforward. I dont think we see any big moves with the money crunch and due to the fact we have not seen what this team can do healthy. Just run it back but make a few tweaks.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#307 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Aug 6, 2020 8:25 pm

Lillard / Jonew
McCollum / Trent Jr
Ariza / Hood / Little
Collins / Melo / Gabriel
Nurkic / Kanter

I would try and move Simon's and Hezonja. I do like the idea of Kanter so I'd be stoked if there were some way to make that happen. He and Nurkic were a great 1 - 2 combo last year. I'd also look for a defensive PG. I dunno college players at all so I'll defer to you about Tre Jones. I dont anticipate him playing much cuz I think either Lillard or CJ will always be on the floor. Hood will take time to regain his form, if he is able to so I'd start Ariza. I'd round out the bench with young players or veterans if Olshey can manage to entice them to come here.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#308 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Aug 6, 2020 8:58 pm

Lillard / Jonew
McCollum / Trent Jr
Ariza / Hood / Little
Collins / Melo / Gabriel
Nurkic / Kanter

I would try and move Simon's and Hezonja. I do like the idea of Kanter so I'd be stoked if there were some way to make that happen. He and Nurkic were a great 1 - 2 combo last year. I'd also look for a defensive PG. I dunno college players at all so I'll defer to you about Tre Jones. I dont anticipate him playing much cuz I think either Lillard or CJ will always be on the floor. Hood will take time to regain his form, if he is able to so I'd start Ariza. I'd round out the bench with young players or veterans if Olshey can manage to entice them to come here.

I am starting to think Ariza will be a cap casualty, not a 'he chose his kid' casualty like some zealots argue. I would love to keep him though. Also, once Hood is back if GTJ keeps progressing like we hope the minutes crunch could be an issue. Trent looks like a guy who is owed 24mpg+ next season.

I would move Simons, but am not sure his value is worth much in a 1st round trade up. I think he could get us from 17 to 13/14 maybe. I wonder if CHI would move Daniel Gafford for him? Gafford is a springy center who managed 5.1ppg, 2.5rpg, 1.4bpg in 14mpg. If they are commited to Carter at C, they may see Simons as a scoring lead to compliment White long term?

If not, using him to trade up for Precious Achiuwa would be my hope. He is a super springy athlete that could compliment Zach and Nurkic as a rim runner and quick twitch guy, which neither of them are IMO. Or the enigmatic Poku, who has crazy upside. I can see him as the next Turkoglu.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#309 » by d-train » Thu Aug 6, 2020 9:14 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Assuming that we are not in the spending game because of COVID, which I think will be our move, I am looking at this as a semi realistic offseason (In this scenario, we get the 8 seed and pick 17)

TPE + 44 to Boston for Kanter + 30 *** Boston saves money after a Gordon extension, PDX gets a cheap'ish backup who was previously a good fit ***

17 - Tyler Bey PF - Yes, I think he is a PF despite being 6'7 and 216lbs. We give him a year to put on weight and he can become the small ball PF compliment to our jumbo Collins. His motor is insane, his defensive is elite at the college level and he has a developing 3PT shot. There is a chance that Little is the PF and Bey the SF, but regardless I want to load this team with high effort, defensive oriented athletes. He is just that. https://www.nba.com/draft/2020/prospects/tyler-bey#/

30 - Tre Jones PG - He has a low ceiling but as a backup PG his skillset is ideal. Defensive oriented, enough of a 3 to keep them honest and more natural playmaking abilities than we have had in a backup PG for years. I expect he would take the spot from Simons as a rookie. https://www.nba.com/draft/2020/prospects/tre-jones#/

Waive Ariza to save $, give Melo some sort of 1 year deal, start GTJ until Hood is healthy. When healthy, we are looking at:

G - Damian Lillard / Tre Jones / Anfernee Simons
G - CJ McCollum / Gary Trent Jr / Anfernee Simons
F - Rodney Hood / Gary Trent Jr / Nassir Little / Weynen Gabriel / Tyler Bey
F - Zach Collins / Carmelo Anthony / Weynen Gabriel / Tyler Bey
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Enes Kanter / Moses Brown

Pretty straightforward. I dont think we see any big moves with the money crunch and due to the fact we have not seen what this team can do healthy. Just run it back but make a few tweaks.

This is a reasonable plan, except I have no idea who would be the best picks at 17 and 30. And, Melo is now and will be our starting SF. I like your trade and Kanter. Your plan is also consistent with staying under the tax, which most plans from fans here are not.

Edit: I would also say we could get Kanter without giving up our 2nd round pick. Boston would give us Kanter and a 1st to get rid of the guaranteed contract. I wonder if it's against CBA rules for Celtics to pay Kanter $1M to not pick up his option. Celtics don't need Kanter and can't afford him.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,958

Post#310 » by Tim Lehrbach » Fri Aug 7, 2020 12:59 am

I'm starting to think this draft is really undervalued. And, I'm not a draft guy -- I'm usually all for trading picks to get proven contributors. I just wonder whether the combination of teams eager to shed salary (and dumping draft picks for future ones or cash is the single easiest way to save money on payroll), generally low opinion of the draft class, and predominance of players at Portland's positions of need (big wings, mostly, but size, defense, and handling at all spots are priorities) among the top prospects creates an opportunity to load up on talent. I don't know how many players would help right away, but I quite like what I've seen when looking into Okoro, Deni, Vassell, Nesmith, S. Bey, and a few others. Could the likes of Phoenix, Chicago, Dallas (the latter not a poor team but one that is mindful of its 2021 salary commitments/flexibility) have their picks on the table for bargain prices?
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#311 » by Tim Lehrbach » Fri Aug 7, 2020 1:19 am

Also, I haven't been following the discussions lately, but does anybody share my hunch that Wenyen Gabriel is gonna shock the league with a break out in the next two years? His measurables had him as too slight and too slow to be a modern NBA big, and you can see it a little bit, but man, his combination of tenacity and instincts screams roaming defensive monster to me. And he can shoot and finish inside, too. I see a ceiling of Draymond-lite, which would be an incredible weapon. I'd like to see the Blazers use their rights to give him a two-year deal and see if my hopes come to fruition.
Clipsz 4 Life

Saxon

d-train
RealGM

Post#312 » by d-train » Fri Aug 7, 2020 1:28 am

Tim Lehrbach wrote:Also, I haven't been following the discussions lately, but does anybody share my hunch that Wenyen Gabriel is gonna shock the league with a break out in the next two years? His measurables had him as too slight and too slow to be a modern NBA big, and you can see it a little bit, but man, his combination of tenacity and instincts screams roaming defensive monster to me. And he can shoot and finish inside, too. I see a ceiling of Draymond-lite, which would be an incredible weapon. I'd like to see the Blazers use their rights to give him a two-year deal and see if my hopes come to fruition.

I like him for what we have invested in him. He has some intriguing skills.
d-train
RealGM

Post#313 » by d-train » Fri Aug 7, 2020 1:31 am

Tim Lehrbach wrote:I'm starting to think this draft is really undervalued. And, I'm not a draft guy -- I'm usually all for trading picks to get proven contributors. I just wonder whether the combination of teams eager to shed salary (and dumping draft picks for future ones or cash is the single easiest way to save money on payroll), generally low opinion of the draft class, and predominance of players at Portland's positions of need (big wings, mostly, but size, defense, and handling at all spots are priorities) among the top prospects creates an opportunity to load up on talent. I don't know how many players would help right away, but I quite like what I've seen when looking into Okoro, Deni, Vassell, Nesmith, S. Bey, and a few others. Could the likes of Phoenix, Chicago, Dallas (the latter not a poor team but one that is mindful of its 2021 salary commitments/flexibility) have their picks on the table for bargain prices?

I think draft picks are going to be cheap to get. There is going to be a larger than norman supply of good vets on subsidized contracts, which is going to entice teams on tight budgets to dump expensive late 1st round picks.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#314 » by GEE » Fri Aug 7, 2020 4:10 am

I think GTJ is going to make this off-season very interesting. He is not a SF, but has played so well this year, he's become impossible to keep off the court. I'm starting to wonder what a package of CJ, Little and #17 could get us. So many options for Olshey, I just hope he continues to make smart moves.

Don't get me wrong. I like CJ, but the ongoing combo of him and Dame, and now GTJ at SF is what's killing us on the perimeter defense. Teams are finding it fairly easy to just shoot over these guys.

IMO, Dame, CJ and Trent should be sharing the both guard spot minutes. Simons only in blowouts or if there is foul trouble concerns. Stop playing small-ball Stotts!
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#315 » by Sinobas » Fri Aug 7, 2020 1:33 pm

Tim Lehrbach wrote:Also, I haven't been following the discussions lately, but does anybody share my hunch that Wenyen Gabriel is gonna shock the league with a break out in the next two years? His measurables had him as too slight and too slow to be a modern NBA big, and you can see it a little bit, but man, his combination of tenacity and instincts screams roaming defensive monster to me. And he can shoot and finish inside, too. I see a ceiling of Draymond-lite, which would be an incredible weapon. I'd like to see the Blazers use their rights to give him a two-year deal and see if my hopes come to fruition.

He flashed some mad defensive skills in his brief playing time, but so did Wade Baldwin.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#316 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Aug 7, 2020 2:09 pm

He flashed some mad defensive skills in his brief playing time, but so did Wade Baldwin.

Yep. The idea that a guy who flashed for a few moments in a scrimmage is going to become Draymond Lite is about as optimistic as you can get. Especially when one has led the league in DBPM twice and has an INSANE career average of 2.8 DBPM. Gabriel will be lucky to develop into a Dorrell Wright level guy with slightly better defense. I dont think he has shown nearly enough to circumvent drafting a swing forward in this draft. After PG, which is easily the strongest position in this draft, the swing forward spot looks pretty deep.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#317 » by Tim Lehrbach » Fri Aug 7, 2020 11:50 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I dont think he has shown nearly enough to circumvent drafting a swing forward in this draft. After PG, which is easily the strongest position in this draft, the swing forward spot looks pretty deep.

Certainly I agree with this, hence the post immediately preceding that one.

Comparisons to Wade Baldwin were on my mind too. The potential may be there, or it might not be. I was intrigued by Baldwin, and I think there's still a chance he sticks if he can make himself useful on offense. Or maybe he'll wash out.

Gabriel has showcased (not only in scrimmages but in college) a pretty rare combination of abilities... and some glaring limitations. I wouldn't bet the house on him becoming Draymond-lite, but I'm sure as heck willing to be excited about both his potential and the low cost of seeing what he's got.
Clipsz 4 Life

Saxon

Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#318 » by Goldbum » Sat Aug 8, 2020 2:17 am

Gabriel can guard on the perimeter and in space. We are awful at both.. He is a surprisingly capable hitting the corner and elbow 3 (nearly 40% in college 47% in the g-league on enough attempts to believe its real). We need a PF who can open up the interior for Nurkic and driving guards. He's long and twitchy enough to affect passing/driving lanes. Wenyen has the type of activity on defense that could potentially influence game plans. Porlands drop down and react defense leaves them at the mercy of what holes teams are able to read and locate. Gabriel shrinks the court on defense and opens it on offense. That's enough for me to cross back up PF off my needs list.
If his both Gabriel and Collins grow their game they will be an excellent PF/C combo guarding the perimeter.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#319 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Aug 8, 2020 1:15 pm

Gabriel can guard on the perimeter and in space. We are awful at both.. He is a surprisingly capable hitting the corner and elbow 3 (nearly 40% in college 47% in the g-league on enough attempts to believe its real). We need a PF who can open up the interior for Nurkic and driving guards. He's long and twitchy enough to affect passing/driving lanes. Wenyen has the type of activity on defense that could potentially influence game plans. Porlands drop down and react defense leaves them at the mercy of what holes teams are able to read and locate. Gabriel shrinks the court on defense and opens it on offense. That's enough for me to cross back up PF off my needs list.
If his both Gabriel and Collins grow their game they will be an excellent PF/C combo guarding the perimeter.

Ya, I just dont have the faith. He has the tools, but outside a few scrimmages and PS games he hasnt done anything in this league and his Kansas career was equally as looks-like-Tarzan-plays-like-Jane. I would be OK with pushing off targeting a future backup PF if Melo returns and we wanna give Gabriel another year to develop though. IMO there will be some nice PG and C talent in this draft and both those positions will be undervalued as the league wide demand is lower than SG/SF/PF IMO.

Jalen Smith really interest me. He is a bit of a tweener PF/C but has excellent athleticism (2.4bpg), a great shot (1-2.8 37%) from 3 for his size, is a competent rebounder and moves well for his size. His legs / base are really the only worry to me, but we drafted Zach who was even more undeveloped. Guy should be a good swing backup big, but also has a profile that is near identical to Zach and if Collins gets big money offers, maybe Smith can slide into his starting spot? The idea scenario would be Zach is cheaper than expected, Gabriel shows out as the twitchy, rim running backup with a shot and Jalen Smith slides into a long term backup Center role. This would be sick as a long term rotation:

PF - Zach Collins / Weynen Gabriel
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Jalen Smith / Kylor Kelley

I added Kylor Kelley because he has Oregon roots and would be a great 6 foul 3rd stringer. Terrible rebounder but 3.45bpg is very impressive. Could be a poor mans Birdman in time IMO.

If not Smith, tons of PG talent avaliable. I could see Cole Anthony fall but he is more of a scorer. I think we really, really need a backup PG who can defend, initiate the offense decently and hit a open 3. I have zero belief that Simons is a PG.

I think Tyler Bey potentially is everything we want in a SF but dont think we draft a SF unless a top guy slips as the team wont give up on Nassir that easily.
Orange_Blue
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#320 » by Orange_Blue » Sat Aug 8, 2020 2:28 pm

Would a smaller deal that improves the bench + addresses the forward concerns, move the needle for Portland.

Portland trades: Ariza/A. Simons/future pick
Chicago trades: Thad Young/Chandler Hutchinson

Nature of the deal: Chicago gains immediate cap space w/ Ariza only guranteed $2mil (before waive date) compared to paying Young remaining 2yrs/$37mil plus add two rookie scale players as they move in a new direction. Portland gains depth @ the forward positions while retaining all core pieces. Incoming forwards have legit positional size, complementary skill sets& allow current starters to bolster the bench unit.

Portland post trade (starters):
Lillard/McCullom/Hutchinson/Young/Nurkic
Bench:
Adams (FA add)/Trent Jr/Hood/Carmelo/Collins
Remaing roster: N. Little + others

Thoughts?

Return to Portland Trail Blazers