ImageImageImage

Free Agents

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,665

Re: Free Agents 

Post#21 » by Invictus88 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:17 am

The_Irony wrote:After seeing the Pistons waste their chance to draft a foundational young piece in KPJ or Bol Bol with pick 30, choosing to draft arn tellems sons client who may never wear a Pistons uniform instead, I knew the connections will mean a lot atleast with this team.

Below are some realistic options with Ties to Weaver and Tellem:

Serge Ibaka
Jeremi Grant (player option at the end of the season)
Danilo Gallinari
Mario Hezonja
Josh Jackson (BJ Armstrong is his agent. BJ is also Roses' Agent and very close with Weaver and Tellem. Obvious Detroit connection with Josh being from Southfield)

This team has to find a way to get rid of Snell if he decides to opt in his final year.

Why? What are we really trying to accomplish next year that Snell of all people is going to block us from achieving? It's not like we have to play him if we don't want to.

I mean if anything he helps the tank; which is really the only thing we should be thinking about heading into next year's draft besides developing young players.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#22 » by The_Irony » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:05 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
The_Irony wrote:After seeing the Pistons waste their chance to draft a foundational young piece in KPJ or Bol Bol with pick 30, choosing to draft arn tellems sons client who may never wear a Pistons uniform instead, I knew the connections will mean a lot atleast with this team.

Serge Ibaka
Danilo Gallinari
Mario Hezonja
Josh Jackson (BJ Armstrong is his agent. BJ is also Roses' Agent and very close with Weaver and Tellem. Obvious Detroit connection with Josh being from Southfield)

This team has to find a way to get rid of Snell if he decides to opt in his final year.

Why? What are we really trying to accomplish next year that Snell of all people is going to block us from achieving? It's not like we have to play him if we don't want to.

I mean if anything he helps the tank; which is really the only thing we should be thinking about heading into next year's draft besides developing young players.

From a team building perspective hes a waste of space. This isnt a video game so "we dont have to play him if we dont want to" doesnt apply. Its not realistic to think he'll go from a starter to a DNP guy so he's effectively holding back potential progress of players that should play or players that may be better than him long term simply because he's a trusted vet. Reminds me of Michael Curry. His salary coming off the books may not mean much depending on whats done this season with signings or trades. If his expiring is enticing to a team looking for more cap flexibility next summer i rather take a future 2nd rounder and give svi, sekou or whoever more mins at the 3
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#23 » by Manocad » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:15 pm

jakebernat wrote:here’s a real question: do people still hate signing FVV if we can pull off a sign-and-trade? say we could swing a snell & Luke for FVV, is that a bad deal? resign wood, hit on our draft pick, and let the season play out to determine our next move.

not saying that I necessarily want this move, but it’s worth discussing.

Pass. Build that 80% of a contending team first made up of young, developed players then go get the star. Getting the star first means you’re paying big money right off the bat and hoping the rest of the team turns into something, e.g. Blake Griffin.
Invictus88
Analyst

Post#24 » by Invictus88 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:26 pm

The_Irony wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

Serge Ibaka
Danilo Gallinari
Mario Hezonja

From a team building perspective hes a waste of space. This isnt a video game so "we dont have to play him if we dont want to" doesnt apply. Its not realistic to think he'll go from a starter to a DNP guy so he's effectively holding back potential progress of players that should play or players that may be better than him long term simply because he's a trusted vet. Reminds me of Michael Curry. His salary coming off the books may not mean much depending on whats done this season with signings or trades. If his expiring is enticing to a team looking for more cap flexibility next summer i rather take a future 2nd rounder and give svi, sekou or whoever more mins at the 3

He is a waste of space. So much so that we received the #30 pick in the 2019 draft for acquiring him in exchange for Jon Leuer. That alone should tell you how valued he was coming into the Pistons.

The line of thought "He's entitled to minutes because he was a starter last year" has no merit. If he's playing well and we want to win then he rightfully earns them. If winning isn't our biggest priority and we want to give them to someone else for development purposes then we will.

He's going to be gone after this year. The Pistons have made no promises to him and he rightfully knows that his days here end after the season is over. So there really is no reason for the Pistons to play him other than to fill minutes that wouldn't otherwise be taken by someone else.

If we want to develop Sekou and Snell is in the way then Snell will sit. If we want to develop Svi and Snell is in the way then Snell will sit. If we want to play Wood at the three and Snell is in the way then Snell will sit. If we draft a 3 and we want to give him minutes than Snell will sit. These aren't hard concepts to grasp and be comfortable with.

If we are able to flip his expiring for another pick then that's great. But there is no urgency here. We are way under the cap. We are far developmentally from being desperate for extra cap space to contend. He's blocking no one.
Invictus88
Analyst

Post#25 » by Invictus88 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:32 pm

Manocad wrote:
jakebernat wrote:here’s a real question: do people still hate signing FVV if we can pull off a sign-and-trade? say we could swing a snell & Luke for FVV, is that a bad deal? resign wood, hit on our draft pick, and let the season play out to determine our next move.

Pass. Build that 80% of a contending team first made up of young, developed players then go get the star. Getting the star first means you’re paying big money right off the bat and hoping the rest of the team turns into something, e.g. Blake Griffin.

Agreed. My initial reaction was that getting FVV and looking to sign other FAs in this offseason's class is just an express ticket to Treadmill-town (population: The Pistons for the last decade).

It's funny. We are potentially closer to starting fresh then we have been in years and people are still trying to find ways to screw it up.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#26 » by chrbal » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:59 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
Manocad wrote:

Agreed. My initial reaction was that getting FVV and looking to sign other FAs in this offseason's class is just an express ticket to Treadmill-town (population: The Pistons for the last decade).

It's funny. We are potentially closer to starting fresh then we have been in years and people are still trying to find ways to screw it up.

I completely agree. I worry this off-season goes like the year we got Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva. We had a real shot at properly rebuilding and then we spent money just to spend it.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,928

Post#27 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon Aug 3, 2020 12:06 pm

Manocad wrote:

My hunch is that FVV is more like that young developed player that will get overpaid like a star.
If I'm going to pay big $ for a star, get an actual star who puts butts in seats with a few good years left.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#28 » by rmfc » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:28 pm

Manocad wrote:

Agreed. These are the kind of moves you should make AFTER a pretty good team already in place.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#29 » by Billl » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:04 pm

FVV is only 26, but I still don't think he should be a target. He's a good player, but not the type of star talent you build around. The only way I could see him coming here is on a complete overpay anyway. We really need to build up the talent base of the team considerably before we consider locking in a guy like that.
the_l_train
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#30 » by the_l_train » Tue Aug 4, 2020 4:02 am

My wishlist, in order:
Poeltl
Melton
Boucher
Kris Dunn
Hezonja
Denzel Valentine

Nobody that will make stupid money, but still fun to watch.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#31 » by The_Irony » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:06 pm

I like Malik Beasley as well. Hes a RFA but would fit perfectly in a restore.

The FVV situation is weird because he's an ideal Piston. A no nonsense and mentally tough player. Opposite of Reggie Jackson. I've warmed up to the idea but I hope it doesnt happen without the team completely restructuring in a season or 2. Signing FVV and keeping the same guys is how they'll stay in the 7-10 seed range. We'll know if FVV is in the cards if Detroit drafts an Okoro over a Hayes.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#32 » by MotownMadness » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:58 pm

Beasley would definitely be my first choice and I also like Melton and his potential. Other than that there's not really much out there I'm looking at.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#33 » by MotownMadness » Tue Aug 4, 2020 6:00 pm

The_Irony wrote:I like Malik Beasley as well. Hes a RFA but would fit perfectly in a restore.

The FVV situation is weird because he's an ideal Piston. A no nonsense and mentally tough player. Opposite of Reggie Jackson. I've warmed up to the idea but I hope it doesnt happen without the team completely restructuring in a season or 2. Signing FVV and keeping the same guys is how they'll stay in the 7-10 seed range. We'll know if FVV is in the cards if Detroit drafts an Okoro over a Hayes.

Wolves have said they will retain Beasley but they could end up with Edward's and decide to go that route instead. Or we could end up with Edward's and not care about Beasley lol.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#34 » by BJK1 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 8:00 pm

I’m watching PG Chris Chiozza for the Nets versus the Bucks right now. He’s definitely small (5’11”), but he’s got really impressive handles, quickness, and vision. With that said, I’ve been unimpressed with his shooting. He’s taken some ill advised deep shots and given his lack of length, he’s struggled going to the rim. But for the right price, he could be a nice developmental talent.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 556

Post#35 » by LaSheed » Tue Aug 4, 2020 8:32 pm

BJK1 wrote:I’m watching PG Chris Chiozza for the Nets versus the Bucks right now. He’s definitely small (5’11”), but he’s got really impressive handles, quickness, and vision. With that said, I’ve been unimpressed with his shooting. He’s taken some ill advised deep shots and given his lack of length, he’s struggled going to the rim. But for the right price, he could be a nice developmental talent.

He's my choice for PG's that fits our timeline as well.

FVV Jr.

Think we could get him for 5 million cap exception.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#36 » by BJK1 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 9:48 pm

PHX picked up a former OKC lottery pick in Cameron Payne to give them minutes at back up PG. I’m watching him play some nice ball versus the Clippers right now. Seems to have regained his health and confidence while standing out in the G League. Maybe another guy to keep an eye on.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#37 » by DetroitDon15 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 1:25 pm

My thoughts are that we avoid overpaying anyone in free agency. My main goal is to resign Wood. If we can get him to resign for Max amount allowed via bird rights and delay the signings to use cap space in salary dumps for first rounders would be my direction. I dont want the FVV types who would have to be overpaid to be brought here. I’d like Ball in the draft (if he falls) or Deni (he can be a good point forward player for this lineup). This team needs scoring/play making. I really want to build around the success of Christian Wood.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 556

Post#38 » by LaSheed » Wed Aug 5, 2020 1:55 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:My thoughts are that we avoid overpaying anyone in free agency. My main goal is to resign Wood. If we can get him to resign for Max amount allowed via bird rights and delay the signings to use cap space in salary dumps for first rounders would be my direction. I dont want the FVV types who would have to be overpaid to be brought here. I’d like Ball in the draft (if he falls) or Deni (he can be a good point forward player for this lineup). This team needs scoring/play making. I really want to build around the success of Christian Wood.

Building around Wood makes me nervous. Such a small sample size. Really wanna keep him around though.

100% with you on the max allowed bird rights and absorbing deals for assets.

Best way to go.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#39 » by DetroitDon15 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 2:57 pm

LaSheed wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:My thoughts are that we avoid overpaying anyone in free agency. My main goal is to resign Wood. If we can get him to resign for Max amount allowed via bird rights and delay the signings to use cap space in salary dumps for first rounders would be my direction. I dont want the FVV types who would have to be overpaid to be brought here. I’d like Ball in the draft (if he falls) or Deni (he can be a good point forward player for this lineup). This team needs scoring/play making. I really want to build around the success of Christian Wood.

Building around Wood makes me nervous. Such a small sample size. Really wanna keep him around though.

100% with you on the max allowed bird rights and absorbing deals for assets.

Best way to go.

I am nervous on this point as well. The issue is that we don't have alot right now. He might be the best piece that we have going forward. Best to make it work.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#40 » by rmfc » Wed Aug 5, 2020 8:26 pm

LaSheed wrote:
Building around Wood ....

:o :o :o :o

Why would anyone do that? :banghead: :banghead:

Return to Detroit Pistons