Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:45 am

Meyers Leonard stood for the national anthem before the Miami Heat played the Denver Nuggets.

"I think I can be a beacon of light ... not only for my voice or platform and action, but in everything I'm doing," Leonard, who is white, told Marc J. Spears of ESPN's The Undefeated after the game. "I certainly support Black Lives Matter. ... I am very aware of what is going on. But I can be both. My patriotism runs deep."

Jonathan Isaac, Gregg Popovich and Becky Hammon have also stood for the anthem.

Leonard cited his respect for the U.S. military. His brother Bailey Leonard served two tours in Afghanistan with the Marines.

"I haven't slept. I'm a zombie right now. It's been difficult because the truth of the matter is I have a loving heart, very compassionate and I'm very aware of what is happening in America today and what has been going on for many years," Leonard told Spears.

"I [was] aware some of the backlash that could happen. I understand. However, I believe in my heart that I did the right thing," Leonard told Spears. "Our world right now is black and white. There is a line in the sand, and it says if I don't kneel, then I'm not with Black Lives Matter. That is not true."

Leonard also spoke to his brother and Navy SEALs.

"I understand that [kneeling during the anthem] is not about the flag and the military, but to me, it is. Based upon real-life experiences and real raw emotion that I've had in my life, that is what that means to me," said Leonard, who was wearing military-style boots, backpack and mask.

He added: "And I'm hopeful that people that don't know me can either learn or ask. I did in my heart what was right to me."

Via Marc J. Spears/The Undefeated

alienpick
Starter
And1: 617

Re: 

Post#2 » by alienpick » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:56 am

Are you seriously going to have everyone who stands for the anthem have to justify their choices to you? ‘Prove the aren’t racist’ to you? The media makes me sick. We seriously need to start calling out media BS if we truly want to end division. They are a LARGE part of the problem. We need to demand ethical, unbiased, journalism again, instead of this agenda pushing, partisan, crap we’re getting.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Re: 

Post#3 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:46 am

Making people stand for the anthem is fascist anyway. Choice is freedom. Respect should never be imposed
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Re: Re: 

Post#4 » by Ernest » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:54 am

alienpick wrote:Are you seriously going to have everyone who stands for the anthem have to justify their choices to you? ‘Prove the aren’t racist’ to you? The media makes me sick. We seriously need to start calling out media BS if we truly want to end division. They are a LARGE part of the problem. We need to demand ethical, unbiased, journalism again, instead of this agenda pushing, partisan, crap we’re getting.

I guess we are as your post proves people do care. hits baby, clicks and hits.
FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Re: 

Post#5 » by FreeBoosie » Sun Aug 2, 2020 10:32 am

Just as Colin Kaepernick or Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf shouldn’t have been criticized and blackballed from their leagues for exercising their freedom of speech by protesting against the anthem, so shouldn’t be Meyers Leonard, Gregg Popovich or Drew Brees for defending their choice to stand up for it. Plain and simple. Enough of this circle jerk and immature peer pressuring from cupcakes on both sides of aisle already.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Re: 

Post#6 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:29 pm

They don’t gotta keep tracking who stands and who doesn’t. Kinda silly.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 78

Re: 

Post#7 » by elmdawgg69 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 1:59 pm

This standing/kneeling hysteria is turning into an artistic expression contest. The National Anthem isn’t shown on TV, and there are no fans in the stadium to watch. The main points and messages are being lost in the charades.

Players not having their names on the back of their jerseys makes it very confusing watching on TV. A younger player should absolutely put his name on the back if he wants his brand to be more visible. I have no idea who 20-30% of the players out there are because I can’t recognize them by body type on a TV angle cam.
GooniousMaximus
Sophomore
And1: 59

Re: 

Post#8 » by GooniousMaximus » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:02 pm

yknow the anthem in sports is kind of f***king weird anyway. its always been awkward (having a lot of my family, like many, who have served) never understood what it had to do with a sport especially a non-olympic/international sport..to save time, grief, hysteria and get to the game, change the ritual to something else if you want but just get it out of there. and thats not an anti-this or that thing..just seems goofy. the other thing that is awkward when going to games they'd parade out someone from the armed forces onto the court for service..again not anti-this or that but for us it was a bit awkward and always questioned what's the catch what does this have to do with anything?

tldr; there is a time and place for everything, why even have these things in sports anymore (at a local/national level)?
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 181

Re: 

Post#9 » by Rip32 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:59 pm

No justice...no peace...shet not complex at all

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
Chronz
Starter
And1: 467

Re: 

Post#10 » by Chronz » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:38 pm

Burn him at the stake. Join the cult or die
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,045

Re: 

Post#11 » by Laimbeer » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:45 pm

Just stop playing it! I don't know why that incredibly simple solution isn't being embraced.
Bottomsouth
Pro Prospect
And1: 268

Re: 

Post#12 » by Bottomsouth » Sun Aug 2, 2020 7:28 pm

Good for him. No need to explain.
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Re: 

Post#13 » by popfan » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:49 pm

Honestly Myers Leonard is barely qualified to be in the NBA. He's a mentally weak player. Leonard could be out of the NBA in 12 months. So why does his opinion matter?

Instead of involving a pawn like Leonard, just ask 100 random US Marines if they would take a knee at a pro basketball game. It's a slam dunk that 30-50% would stand in our current political crisis. One can fight for your country yet be firmly against Nordic slavery/racism/lynching/pogroms/hate. It's not one or the other. For many it's both. One can salute during taps on a Marine Corps base when the sun sets yet stand during the anthem at an NBA game. One could fight side by side with a Nordic racist soldier against a common foreign enemy yet fight against the same soldier on US soil regarding social issues. This is the definition of being American.

That RealGM is promoting the idea that Leonard is a role model is disturbing.
Heavyhitter10
Sophomore
And1: 12

Re: 

Post#14 » by Heavyhitter10 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 9:34 pm

I have the perfect solution. STOP WATCHING!! I have.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Re: 

Post#15 » by tarantism » Sun Aug 2, 2020 10:15 pm

if you don't stand for the special song, the magic sky cloth won't freedom!
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
alienpick
Starter
And1: 617

Post#16 » by alienpick » Mon Aug 3, 2020 12:57 am

Ernest wrote:
alienpick wrote:Are you seriously going to have everyone who stands for the anthem have to justify their choices to you? ‘Prove the aren’t racist’ to you? The media makes me sick. We seriously need to start calling out media BS if we truly want to end division. They are a LARGE part of the problem. We need to demand ethical, unbiased, journalism again, instead of this agenda pushing, partisan, crap we’re getting.

I guess we are as your post proves people do care. hits baby, clicks and hits.

haha! Clickity, click, click, click. that's all they care about these days.
swenjj
Senior
And1: 25

Post#17 » by swenjj » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:30 am

Rip32 wrote:No justice...no peace...shet not complex at all

Not complex ,yet you don't understand it.the cop that killed Floyd is gonna be in jail for decades ..so you want more justice ? Burning up cities works for ya?
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#18 » by DimesandKnicks » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:06 pm

swenjj wrote:
Rip32 wrote:No justice...no peace...shet not complex at all

Not complex ,yet you don't understand it.the cop that killed Floyd is gonna be in jail for decades ..so you want more justice ? Burning up cities works for ya?

Clearly you are so detached from the issue at hand that you don't understand it.

And the ops that killed Breonna Taylor?

Um, this movement isn't about George Floyd. Its about Police misconduct/abuse which has continued since his death.

Burning up cities seems to have scared Americans into giving a ****. Or maybe, it took a pandemic for America to give a **** about an issue thats been going on for centuries. Welcome to the table.

Return to Wiretap Discussion