Jerome Robinson thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Re: Jerome Robinson thread 

Post#81 » by prime1time » Wed Mar 4, 2020 9:19 pm

Ruzious wrote:
prime1time wrote:If anyone has made an argument to send Robinson t o the g-league based on development and not because he's a bad/sucky player I'd love to hear it. Because I clearly missed it. Seems like the people in this thread want it both ways. Argue that he's sucky, then call out posters who say we shouldn't send him to the g-league because you think he's bad. What's the logic of sending a guy to the g-league to develop his game when he's getting solid minutes right now? Bizarre.

Tbh, I can't figure out what you're trying to say there, but he probably should go to the G League to develop his skills. Even after last night's game - his stats on the season are awful. That doesn't mean he can't improve. That's one thing that's so great about the G League - you can develop players there without forcing NBA fans to watch them flounder in the NBA.

Who said he's floundering? He just played 30 minutes a game. Shot 4-8 from the field, 2-4 from 3 and had 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals. Tbh, I don't understand what you're saying. Scott Brooks see's it fit to give him 30 minutes a game. Why would we send him to the G-League. Perhaps you should first argue he doesn't deserve any minutes. Then when he doesn't get minutes, we can argue the merits of him going to the G-League. As it stands since he's been acquired by the Wizards he's gotten consistent minutes. If he's going to get consistent minutes with the NBA squad saying we should send him to the G-League is bizarre. Not sure how that isn't clear.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#82 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 4, 2020 9:36 pm

prime1time wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
prime1time wrote:If anyone has made an argument to send Robinson t o the g-league based on development and not because he's a bad/sucky player I'd love to hear it. Because I clearly missed it. Seems like the people in this thread want it both ways. Argue that he's sucky, then call out posters who say we shouldn't send him to the g-league because you think he's bad. What's the logic of sending a guy to the g-league to develop his game when he's getting solid minutes right now? Bizarre.

Tbh, I can't figure out what you're trying to say there, but he probably should go to the G League to develop his skills. Even after last night's game - his stats on the season are awful. That doesn't mean he can't improve. That's one thing that's so great about the G League - you can develop players there without forcing NBA fans to watch them flounder in the NBA.

Who said he's floundering? He just played 30 minutes a game. Shot 4-8 from the field, 2-4 from 3 and had 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals. Tbh, I don't understand what you're saying. Scott Brooks see's it fit to give him 30 minutes a game. Why would we send him to the G-League. Perhaps you should first argue he doesn't deserve any minutes. Then when he doesn't get minutes, we can argue the merits of him going to the G-League. As it stands since he's been acquired by the Wizards he's gotten consistent minutes. If he's going to get consistent minutes with the NBA squad saying we should send him to the G-League is bizarre. Not sure how that isn't clear.

Give it a frikkin rest. One game vs one season; actually 2 seasons.

It's been said a bunch of times why he's playing. He's guaranteed 3.7 mil next season, and sometime before next season, the Wiz have to decide whether or not to guarantee the season after that.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#83 » by dckingsfan » Thu Mar 5, 2020 12:36 am

prime1time wrote:If anyone has made an argument to send Robinson to the g-league based on development and not because he's a bad/sucky player I'd love to hear it. Because I clearly missed it. Seems like the people in this thread want it both ways. Argue that he's sucky, then call out posters who say we shouldn't send him to the g-league because you think he's bad. What's the logic of sending a guy to the g-league to develop his game when he's getting solid minutes right now? Bizarre.

Waving arms back and forth, jumping up and down...

We know what he is struggling with... our D League development team is actually really good at developing our players!
prime1time
Analyst

Post#84 » by prime1time » Thu Mar 5, 2020 6:37 am

Ruzious wrote:
prime1time wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Tbh, I can't figure out what you're trying to say there, but he probably should go to the G League to develop his skills. Even after last night's game - his stats on the season are awful. That doesn't mean he can't improve. That's one thing that's so great about the G League - you can develop players there without forcing NBA fans to watch them flounder in the NBA.

It's been said a bunch of times why he's playing. He's guaranteed 3.7 mil next season, and sometime before next season, the Wiz have to decide whether or not to guarantee the season after that.

Lol, your argument isn’t with me. It’s with Scott Brooks. He started today. I’m just explaining your thinking. One game vs. two seasons. Lol. More like our scouting report from the 2018 nba draft vs a player who was not put in a position to succeed. I get it you think he sucks. obviously the organization does not.

And you know what? Crazier things have happened in the NBA than Jerome Robinson becoming a competent player.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 5, 2020 11:23 am

prime1time wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
prime1time wrote:Who said he's floundering? He just played 30 minutes a game. Shot 4-8 from the field, 2-4 from 3 and had 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals. Tbh, I don't understand what you're saying. Scott Brooks see's it fit to give him 30 minutes a game. Why would we send him to the G-League. Perhaps you should first argue he doesn't deserve any minutes. Then when he doesn't get minutes, we can argue the merits of him going to the G-League. As it stands since he's been acquired by the Wizards he's gotten consistent minutes. If he's going to get consistent minutes with the NBA squad saying we should send him to the G-League is bizarre. Not sure how that isn't clear.

Lol, your argument isn’t with me. It’s with Scott Brooks. He started today. I’m just explaining your thinking. One game vs. two seasons. Lol. More like our scouting report from the 2018 nba draft vs a player who was not put in a position to succeed. I get it you think he sucks. obviously the organization does not.

And you know what? Crazier things have happened in the NBA than Jerome Robinson becoming a competent player.

You've completely misinterpreted everything I've said. This conversation is over for me.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#86 » by dckingsfan » Thu Mar 5, 2020 3:35 pm

Well, the good news is that Robinson's play didn't hurt the bench :D
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#87 » by payitforward » Thu Mar 5, 2020 3:45 pm

prime1time wrote:...Crazier things have happened in the NBA than Jerome Robinson becoming a competent player.

I'm sure you are right. Can you name a few, please? :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#88 » by I_Like_Dirt » Thu Mar 5, 2020 3:45 pm

prime1time wrote:Who said he's floundering? He just played 30 minutes a game. Shot 4-8 from the field, 2-4 from 3 and had 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals. Tbh, I don't understand what you're saying. Scott Brooks see's it fit to give him 30 minutes a game. Why would we send him to the G-League. Perhaps you should first argue he doesn't deserve any minutes. Then when he doesn't get minutes, we can argue the merits of him going to the G-League. As it stands since he's been acquired by the Wizards he's gotten consistent minutes. If he's going to get consistent minutes with the NBA squad saying we should send him to the G-League is bizarre. Not sure how that isn't clear.

Who are you? Jerome Robinson's auntie or something?

Nobody is saying the Robinson is terrible and should be cut loose. You're just making up random straw men in your own mind. If people actually wanted him gone they'd be suggesting Robinson should just be cut. Sending him to the d league IS an argument for developing him down there. That's basically the argument absolutely everyone is making and you're changing it because it's easier to argue against something else. He had one game where he was okay and hasn't been good at all otherwise. The argument isn't to dump him; it's to give someone else an opportunity.

If the Wizards are going to give him a chance, you're right, there's nothing anybody can do here. Based on that premise, though, there is 0 reason to actually discuss anything because there's nothing any of us can do about anything. It's a logical trap that renders everything meaningless. And the thing is, the Wizards can't actually send him to the d league next season without his consent. That only works in his first two seasons. It's quite possible there's more to it and he isn't consenting but the early returns really aren't impressive.
Bucket! Bucket!
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 510

Post#89 » by The Consiglieri » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:22 pm

What do we think so far?
MDStar
Senior
And1: 94

Post#90 » by MDStar » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:51 pm

The Consiglieri wrote:What do we think so far?

He's shown some improvement in the bubble, that I would contribute more to playing-time and column, than I would to instilling any confidence in is long term success of becoming a rotational player on a good team. In the past 4 games, in 30 min per game, he's shooting 49%/39% respectively and averaging 17 pts per game. He seems to have a low turnover rate, but doesn't really do anything else. Low rebs, even less assists and poor defense in general.

Overall, I'm glad to see him get an opportunity, I just don't see much in his game to be more than a 11th or 12th man at the end of the bench. I hope I'm wrong and his scoring ability takes another step to where he can be a microwave type guy that just get's buckets for the 2nd unit. Not very optimistic though.
Just let the young boys play! It's truly the only hope at this point.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,970

Post#91 » by DCZards » Thu Aug 6, 2020 6:21 pm

MDStar wrote:
He's shown some improvement in the bubble, that I would contribute more to playing-time and column, than I would to instilling any confidence in is long term success of becoming a rotational player on a good team. In the past 4 games, in 30 min per game, he's shooting 49%/39% respectively and averaging 17 pts per game. He seems to have a low turnover rate, but doesn't really do anything else. Low rebs, even less assists and poor defense in general.

Overall, I'm glad to see him get an opportunity, I just don't see much in his game to be more than a 11th or 12th man at the end of the bench. I hope I'm wrong and his scoring ability takes another step to where he can be a microwave type guy that just get's buckets for the 2nd unit. Not very optimistic though.

^^^Robinson is actually a pretty good one-on-one defender, which is something he showed prior to the shutdown and has continued to display during the restart.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#92 » by payitforward » Thu Aug 6, 2020 7:24 pm

He had a pretty nice game last night. Not great -- but pretty good. Keep playing at that level, Jerome!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
prime1time
Analyst

Post#93 » by prime1time » Thu Aug 6, 2020 8:09 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:

Nobody is saying the Robinson is terrible and should be cut loose. You're just making up random straw men in your own mind. If people actually wanted him gone they'd be suggesting Robinson should just be cut. Sending him to the d league IS an argument for developing him down there. That's basically the argument absolutely everyone is making and you're changing it because it's easier to argue against something else. He had one game where he was okay and hasn't been good at all otherwise. The argument isn't to dump him; it's to give someone else an opportunity.

If the Wizards are going to give him a chance, you're right, there's nothing anybody can do here. Based on that premise, though, there is 0 reason to actually discuss anything because there's nothing any of us can do about anything. It's a logical trap that renders everything meaningless. And the thing is, the Wizards can't actually send him to the d league next season without his consent. That only works in his first two seasons. It's quite possible there's more to it and he isn't consenting but the early returns really aren't impressive.

Yes, I'm Jerome Robinson's auntie. But back to the actual conversation, perhaps I'm a fan who watches basketball and understands that players need to be given opportunities. Why would you trade for a player then send him to the D-League when the team sucks? We are literally one of the worst teams in the league. If this team was genuinely competitive and Robinson was hurting us? Fine. Sending him to the D-League would make sense. BUt n a team that's struggling and obviously separating chaff from wheat and deciding who's staying and who's going, what purpose would it serve. The only person creating a logical trap is yourself. Read what you wrote, either everyone jumps on board with sending Robinson to the D-League or there's nothing to discuss. There's a ton to discuss. Like ways that Jerome Robinson could improve his game to become a better player. Is that such a crazy concept?
prime1time
Analyst

Post#94 » by prime1time » Thu Aug 6, 2020 8:23 pm

Jerome Robinson still has a lot of developing to do. I think he needs to figure out how he fits in the NBA. In college, he mostly played with the ball in his hands but now he's not going to be doing that as much. So he needs to figure out what his niche would be. I expect Robinson to work on his set 3-point shooting, attacking close-outs and reading defensive rotations so that when other players attack and dish to him he'd be ready. I think in summer league he's back in his comfort zone with the offense flowing through him, but he's not a good enough offensive player to have that happen normally. I must say that I 100% disagree with anyone who believes Robinson doesn't have a chance to even be a rotational player. He can shoot the 3, put the ball on the floor and create for others. He still has a long way to go to become a major piece on this team but the potential is there. I'm excited to see his development.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#95 » by doclinkin » Thu Aug 6, 2020 9:20 pm

My in depth analysis of his game suggests that Jerome Robinson has a weird lookin head.
The Consiglieri
Starter

Post#96 » by The Consiglieri » Thu Aug 6, 2020 11:59 pm

prime1time wrote:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:

Yes, I'm Jerome Robinson's auntie. But back to the actual conversation, perhaps I'm a fan who watches basketball and understands that players need to be given opportunities. Why would you trade for a player then send him to the D-League when the team sucks? We are literally one of the worst teams in the league. If this team was genuinely competitive and Robinson was hurting us? Fine. Sending him to the D-League would make sense. BUt n a team that's struggling and obviously separating chaff from wheat and deciding who's staying and who's going, what purpose would it serve. The only person creating a logical trap is yourself. Read what you wrote, either everyone jumps on board with sending Robinson to the D-League or there's nothing to discuss. There's a ton to discuss. Like ways that Jerome Robinson could improve his game to become a better player. Is that such a crazy concept?

In fairness, he wrote that five months ago.
prime1time
Analyst

Post#97 » by prime1time » Fri Aug 7, 2020 12:19 am

The Consiglieri wrote:
prime1time wrote:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:

In fairness, he wrote that five months ago.

In terms of actual games...
The Consiglieri
Starter

Post#98 » by The Consiglieri » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:34 am

I know but I doubt I’m the first person to change or at least modify opinions w/the passage of time playing the key role. Then again maybe he hasn’t at all. I have hopes for Robinson, they liked him, saw him as potentially filling a specific role, not as a superstar. Time will tell.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#99 » by Kanyewest » Fri Aug 7, 2020 4:44 am

Robinson's bubble stats - 17 ppg 3 rpg 2 APG in 29 minutes per game with a 58.7 TS%.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 7, 2020 12:32 pm

prime1time wrote:Jerome Robinson still has a lot of developing to do. I think he needs to figure out how he fits in the NBA. In college, he mostly played with the ball in his hands but now he's not going to be doing that as much. So he needs to figure out what his niche would be. I expect Robinson to work on his set 3-point shooting, attacking close-outs and reading defensive rotations so that when other players attack and dish to him he'd be ready. I think in summer league he's back in his comfort zone with the offense flowing through him, but he's not a good enough offensive player to have that happen normally. I must say that I 100% disagree with anyone who believes Robinson doesn't have a chance to even be a rotational player. He can shoot the 3, put the ball on the floor and create for others. He still has a long way to go to become a major piece on this team but the potential is there. I'm excited to see his development.

Yeah, he could develop into a decent backup 2, but that's not something I'd get excited about.

His PER this season - even after the decent games he's had recently is still just 7.7, so obviously he needs to produce a lot more. He was a good college 3 point shooter in his junior year, and he's got to get up to that level in the NBA. He's not particularly physically gifted. He's built more like a PG than a shooting guard - with short reach and a thin frame. He's not an explosive athlete, and he doesn't match up well defensively against big wings. Pretty good ball-handler, but I don't agree that he creates for others. I don't think we're that far off on our evaluations, but I'm less excited. It's not like he's a 19/20 year old unpolished gem. He's a backup 2 that could be solid in that role if he develops a more consistent 3.

Return to Washington Wizards