ImageImageImageImageImage

Jerome Robinson thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Re: Jerome Robinson thread 

Post#101 » by pcbothwel » Fri Aug 7, 2020 12:35 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Robinson's bubble stats - 17 ppg 3 rpg 2 APG in 29 minutes per game with a 58.7 TS%.

I said when we made the trade that it was a clear win. We had no cap room this next year, but were far under the tax. So taking a flyer on a prospect like Robinson was well worth it. I see a lot of Gary Harris to his game. Good, not great athlete with high level college experience. Disappointing as a shooter compared to college, but better overall scorer and defender than originally thought.

I could see him having breakout year in the next year or 2 on paper if his shot falls (See 2016-17 Harris), but doesnt create, draw fouls, or rebound at a high level.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#102 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 7, 2020 1:28 pm

prime1time wrote:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:
prime1time wrote:Who said he's floundering? He just played 30 minutes a game. Shot 4-8 from the field, 2-4 from 3 and had 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals. Tbh, I don't understand what you're saying. Scott Brooks see's it fit to give him 30 minutes a game. Why would we send him to the G-League. Perhaps you should first argue he doesn't deserve any minutes. Then when he doesn't get minutes, we can argue the merits of him going to the G-League. As it stands since he's been acquired by the Wizards he's gotten consistent minutes. If he's going to get consistent minutes with the NBA squad saying we should send him to the G-League is bizarre. Not sure how that isn't clear.

Who are you? Jerome Robinson's auntie or something?

Nobody is saying the Robinson is terrible and should be cut loose. You're just making up random straw men in your own mind. If people actually wanted him gone they'd be suggesting Robinson should just be cut. Sending him to the d league IS an argument for developing him down there. That's basically the argument absolutely everyone is making and you're changing it because it's easier to argue against something else. He had one game where he was okay and hasn't been good at all otherwise. The argument isn't to dump him; it's to give someone else an opportunity.

If the Wizards are going to give him a chance, you're right, there's nothing anybody can do here. Based on that premise, though, there is 0 reason to actually discuss anything because there's nothing any of us can do about anything. It's a logical trap that renders everything meaningless. And the thing is, the Wizards can't actually send him to the d league next season without his consent. That only works in his first two seasons. It's quite possible there's more to it and he isn't consenting but the early returns really aren't impressive.

Yes, I'm Jerome Robinson's auntie. But back to the actual conversation, perhaps I'm a fan who watches basketball and understands that players need to be given opportunities. Why would you trade for a player then send him to the D-League when the team sucks? We are literally one of the worst teams in the league. If this team was genuinely competitive and Robinson was hurting us? Fine. Sending him to the D-League would make sense. BUt n a team that's struggling and obviously separating chaff from wheat and deciding who's staying and who's going, what purpose would it serve. The only person creating a logical trap is yourself. Read what you wrote, either everyone jumps on board with sending Robinson to the D-League or there's nothing to discuss. There's a ton to discuss. Like ways that Jerome Robinson could improve his game to become a better player. Is that such a crazy concept?

I think primetime's pov here is common sense.

Robinson is guaranteed for this year, & the deadline for picking up his 2021-22 contract ($5+ m) is only 7-8 weeks away! We need to make a judgment about him. He should play 30 minutes a game!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#103 » by DCZards » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:02 pm

payitforward wrote:
Robinson is guaranteed for this year, & the deadline for picking up his 2021-22 contract ($5+ m) is only 7-8 weeks away! We need to make a judgment about him. He should play 30 minutes a game!

I think that decision has already been made. Robinson has played well enough during the restart to prove that he deserves a longer look. I expect his 2021-22 contract to be picked up.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#104 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 7, 2020 4:07 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:Robinson is guaranteed for this year, & the deadline for picking up his 2021-22 contract ($5+ m) is only 7-8 weeks away! We need to make a judgment about him. He should play 30 minutes a game!

I think that decision has already been made. Robinson has played well enough during the restart to prove that he deserves a longer look. I expect his 2021-22 contract to be picked up.

You might be right that the decision has already been made. But even if it hasn't, I also expect them to pick up the option.

& I can understand the decision: after all, Robinson cost us nothing to acquire, & we are a bad team. We aren't going to be a good team in 2021-22 either. Not enough "there" there. So it makes sense to give him some rope.

If he works out, great. If not, his spot will open up.

Of course, if we were a good team, why then it would not make sense to pick up that option. That's why the Clippers, who are a good team & who did have a cost to acquire Jerome Robinson gave him away for nothing whatever (except to save the cost of his 2020-21 salary).
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#105 » by payitforward » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:56 pm

Worth noting what Jerome Robinson did during the bubble. Here are the overall shooting numbers. Anyone who has other info could add it...

Overall, Jerome went 53-134 -- 39.6%

But, he went 24-69 on 3-point attempts -- 34.8% -- which brought his efg% up 48.5%. The average efg% for an NBA wing is 51.8%

Those numbers, btw, are virtually identical to his overall season numbers as a Wizard.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#106 » by NatP4 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 5:19 am

Anybody still optimistic about Robinson in here? Curious if everyone is ready to write him off or if there are still some believers.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#107 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 8, 2020 12:08 pm

NatP4 wrote:Anybody still optimistic about Robinson in here? Curious if everyone is ready to write him off or if there are still some believers.

It makes no sense to pay him 3.7 million and potentially block some PT for TBJ. If they keep him next season, he'll cost 5.3 million. Tommy gloats that he got something for nothing, but he's completely wrong on this one.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#108 » by pcbothwel » Tue Dec 8, 2020 1:49 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Anybody still optimistic about Robinson in here? Curious if everyone is ready to write him off or if there are still some believers.

It makes no sense to pay him 3.7 million and potentially block some PT for TBJ. If they keep him next season, he'll cost 5.3 million. Tommy gloats that he got something for nothing, but he's completely wrong on this one.

Huh... Robinson profiles as a Gary Harris type guard. Strong defender and C&S 3 point shooter. Assuming natural progression he should be a solid 9th man off the bench, so I dont see how that blocks Brown.

He's obviously getting his option next year declined.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#109 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 1:58 pm

The way I see it, there is one spot in the regular rotation for a guard who plays behind Beal, and one more spot for a guard who rides the bench and only plays garbage time or if someone is injured. There are three guys fighting for those two spots: Brown, Robinson and Mathews.

Robinson definitely wasn't as good as Brown last year and I don't really think he was as good as Mathews either. But to be fair, those were low minute sample sizes for both Robinson and Mathews. Brooks saw Robinson and Mathews a lot more in practice, so maybe he had his reasons for liking Robinson more. I won't criticize Brooks too much for going with Robinson over Mathews last year.

I figure this year, it will come down to training camp. I certainly expect Brown to get that regular rotation spot but I don't begrudge Brooks for letting them fight it out. Maybe Robinson makes a big leap. We will soon find out. If Brooks does go with Robinson, then they should definitely put Brown on the trading block. He is too good of a player to wallow on the bench and then depart via free agency for nothing.

The biggest casualty is Mathews. Brown and Robinson will be the guys that suit up every game. Mathews won't get a fair shot because Brown and Robinson each make $4M and Mathews makes almost nothing on a 2-way contract. We do have RFA rights on Mathews next summer, so if we like him, we can match any offer for him.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 8, 2020 2:06 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Huh... Robinson profiles as a Gary Harris type guard. Strong defender and C&S 3 point shooter. Assuming natural progression he should be a solid 9th man off the bench, so I dont see how that blocks Brown.

I think you're a little too certain with your opinions.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#111 » by mhd » Tue Dec 8, 2020 2:09 pm

nate33 wrote:

The way I see it, there is one spot in the regular rotation for a guard who plays behind Beal, and one more spot for a guard who rides the bench and only plays garbage time or if someone is injured. There are three guys fighting for those two spots: Brown, Robinson and Mathews.

Robinson definitely wasn't as good as Brown last year and I don't really think he was as good as Mathews either. But to be fair, those were low minute sample sizes for both Robinson and Mathews. Brooks saw Robinson and Mathews a lot more in practice, so maybe he had his reasons for liking Robinson more. I won't criticize Brooks too much for going with Robinson over Mathews last year.

I figure this year, it will come down to training camp. I certainly expect Brown to get that regular rotation spot but I don't begrudge Brooks for letting them fight it out. Maybe Robinson makes a big leap. We will soon find out. If Brooks does go with Robinson, then they should definitely put Brown on the trading block. He is too good of a player to wallow on the bench and then depart via free agency for nothing.

The biggest casualty is Mathews. Brown and Robinson will be the guys that suit up every game. Mathews won't get a fair shot because Brown and Robinson each make $4M and Mathews makes almost nothing on a 2-way contract. We do have RFA rights on Mathews next summer, so if we like him, we can match any offer for him.

Maybe it could be proactive to trade TBJ for a future 1st and go with the cheaper Matthews (who balled in his limited sample size). I think OKC would be more than willing to trade one of its war-chest for TBJ. I like TBJ, but his size limits him to be a combo guard. If he wants to get paid, we might have consider it, especially if Beal is resigned long-term.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#112 » by queridiculo » Tue Dec 8, 2020 2:22 pm

mhd wrote:Maybe it could be proactive to trade TBJ for a future 1st and go with the cheaper Matthews (who balled in his limited sample size). I think OKC would be more than willing to trade one of its war-chest for TBJ. I like TBJ, but his size limits him to be a combo guard. If he wants to get paid, we might have consider it, especially if Beal is resigned long-term.

What's wrong with Troy's size?

There's a reason why he's such prolific rebounder, he's long.

8'9" standing reach, near 6'11" wing span and measured at around 6'7" in shoes.

He just turned 21, I really don't see the point of moving him for a future selection.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#113 » by pcbothwel » Tue Dec 8, 2020 2:45 pm

Ruzious wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
Ruzious wrote:It makes no sense to pay him 3.7 million and potentially block some PT for TBJ. If they keep him next season, he'll cost 5.3 million. Tommy gloats that he got something for nothing, but he's completely wrong on this one.

Is this statement specific to this discussion or a generalization?
If the former, I dont see how profiling a medium floor, low ceiling lotto pick as a 9th man is particularly outlandish.

I didnt really give much opinion. He does indeed profile as a above average 3pt shooter in the C&S. He has also been a average defender on the perimeter. He's 23 y/o with a good work ethic and BBIQ... so Im sure the standard incremental improvement will occur with him like most other prospects.
If you look at his rookie year, then compare to his time with us (Both in and out of the bubble), you can see where his career path is more than likely headed.

PIF is pretty tepid on Robinson (Thats putting it nicely), but I dont even he agrees that Robinson profiles as a rotation worthy bench player.

Now, if your statement is about my opinions overall, I'd like to hear why you think so.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#114 » by NatP4 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 2:53 pm

I’ll be watching Robinson’s defense closely this year. Seems like he will definitely develop into a solid 3pt shooter, have a good assist/turnover, and be able to create his own shot a little bit. Being able to be atleast average defensively is what will separate him as a solid rotational piece.

Problem is, Mathews is already a great 3pt shooter and an average defender, so it’s hard to see how both of them fit or will have meaningful playing time to develop. We’ll see though.

Having a couple of ball dominant guards already, doesn’t help Robinson. Mathews is a much better fit again. Wonder what would happen if we just let Robinson be the backup PG along with Brown Jr, instead of having a traditional backup PG.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#115 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 8, 2020 3:08 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

If the former, I dont see how profiling a medium floor, low ceiling lotto pick as a 9th man is particularly outlandish.

I didnt really give much opinion. He does indeed profile as a above average 3pt shooter in the C&S. He has also been a average defender on the perimeter. He's 23 y/o with a good work ethic and BBIQ... so Im sure the standard incremental improvement will occur with him like most other prospects.
If you look at his rookie year, then compare to his time with us (Both in and out of the bubble), you can see where his career path is more than likely headed.

PIF is pretty tepid on Robinson (Thats putting it nicely), but I dont even he agrees that Robinson profiles as a rotation worthy bench player.

Now, if your statement is about my opinions overall, I'd like to hear why you think so.

Too certain as to label anyone a 9th man - It struck me as being too specific unless you're using some time of formula for coming up with that. Also not sure how Gary Harris - who was once good enough to get a 4/84 million deal before getting injury-prone - gets in the conversation. And saying it's obvious that he's not getting his option next year declined... I think that's likely true - but saying it's obvious seemed over the top to me. That was the icing on the cake that led to my comment. Hope that helps.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#116 » by NatP4 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 3:35 pm

His 3rd year of college, his TS% jumped to .608 from .515 his sophomore year. Last year in the G league he shot 41% from 3 and had a .560 TS%. There are some good signs of becoming an efficient scorer. As others have pointed out, in his last 10 games in the NBA last year, he posted a .554 TS%.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#117 » by pcbothwel » Tue Dec 8, 2020 3:38 pm

Ruzious wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I think you're a little too certain with your opinions.

Too certain as to label anyone a 9th man - It struck me as being too specific unless you're using some time of formula for coming up with that. Also not sure how Gary Harris - who was once good enough to get a 4/84 million deal before getting injury-prone - gets in the conversation. And saying it's obvious that he's not getting his option next year declined... I think that's likely true - but saying it's obvious seemed over the top to me. That was the icing on the cake that led to my comment. Hope that helps.

Ahhh. Understood.
1) My comp to Harris is current, 53% TS and plus defense version. Not the early 60% TS one. I think Robinson, like Harris, is an underrated perimeter defender.

2) 9th/10th man isnt that specific. You have starters (1-5), 6th man/rotation players (6-8) that usually include 1 player from each level (Guard, Wing, Big), situational deep bench players (9-11), and inactive (12-15).

3) You are right about the option, but I cant see us paying him 5.3M + Tax (~13M total) to be a deep bench player. I think they will use that 5.3M on Bonga, which will put us right around the tax... but you're right, who knows
payitforward
RealGM

Post#118 » by payitforward » Tue Dec 8, 2020 4:00 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

If his option for next year is declined, which I sure hope it is, then it doesn't matter whether we keep him or he leaves. If the former, it'll be for little enough $$ that it doesn't matter much. If the latter... that's a little better. Frees up a spot.

I wish he was gone already, of course, b/c it'd open up a roster spot for Garrison Mathews or Cassius Winston. But... you can't always get what you want... we'll see if we wind up getting what we need.*

(*Is anyone here old enough to get that reference, I wonder?)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 8, 2020 4:08 pm

payitforward wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
Ruzious wrote:It makes no sense to pay him 3.7 million and potentially block some PT for TBJ. If they keep him next season, he'll cost 5.3 million. Tommy gloats that he got something for nothing, but he's completely wrong on this one.

If his option for next year is declined, which I sure hope it is, then it doesn't matter whether we keep him or he leaves. If the former, it'll be for little enough $$ that it doesn't matter much. If the latter... that's a little better. Frees up a spot.

I wish he was gone already, of course, b/c it'd open up a roster spot for Garrison Mathews or Cassius Winston. But... you can't always get what you want... we'll see if we wind up getting what we need.*

(*Is anyone here old enough to get that reference, I wonder?)

Wild horses couldn't get me to answer that question.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#120 » by DCZards » Tue Dec 8, 2020 5:26 pm

Robinson has shown little to warrant being a lottery pick or a regular rotation player in the NBA. But then again he’s only played 1300 NBA minutes and very sporadically at that. What’s wrong with a little competition between him, Brown and Mathews for playing time?

Jerome has struggled as a shooter since coming into the NBA…although he did shoot .349% from 3 in his 21 games with the Zards, including a game winner against the Nets. But he’s a better defender than I realized. On D he moves his feet well and has shown the ability to put pressure on his man on the perimeter and stay in from of him. That’s a plus…especially given the defensive woes of the Zards overall.

In the bubble, where he was given the opportunity to be a primary ballhandler, Robinson got to the rim and free throw line…and created for teammates. He had 6 assists in one game and 7 in another.

Return to Washington Wizards