Michael Porter Jr

Moderator: THE J0KER

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Re: Michael Porter Jr 

Post#101 » by THE J0KER » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:32 am

3 monster games in just 4 days! 3 times in the row at least 27 points and at least 12 rebounds!

To see how big it is, Murray never has 3 consecutive 27+ games, while Jokic's personal record so far is three 29+ games.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#102 » by The Rebel » Fri Aug 7, 2020 12:55 pm

With the way that MPJ has been playing both in January and in the bubble than I think he needs to be the permanent starter at SF, Barton can help fix the offensive issues for the bench for the rest of this season.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#103 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Aug 7, 2020 2:13 pm

Interesting article - ends with Porter

https://fansided.com/2020/08/07/whiteboard-5-under-radar-players-breaking-out-nba-bubble/

Okay, so we’re stretching a little bit in the “under-the-radar” department, but considering what Michael Porter Jr. is doing in the bubble after averaging just 15.2 minutes per game during the regular season, he deserves his own shout-out (just don’t ask him about the coronavirus).

The Nuggets rookie, after struggling with an 11-point, 4-for-11 shooting night in Denver’s first seeding game, has been a human torch since then. He dropped a career-high 37 points and 12 rebounds in an overtime win against the Oklahoma City Thunder, followed it up with 30 points and 15 boards against the Spurs and then kept it going with 27 points and 12 rebounds against Portland.

Even including that poor opening game, Porter boasts .578/.500/.941 shooting splits in Orlando thus far. Sure, the Nuggets need more minutes from him with Jamal Murray and Gary Harris still sidelined, but he’s actually delivering in those minutes and already looks like a franchise cornerstone, which is all Denver could’ve hoped for in his first season.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#104 » by skywalker33 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 6:18 pm

The Rebel wrote:With the way that MPJ has been playing both in January and in the bubble than I think he needs to be the permanent starter at SF, Barton can help fix the offensive issues for the bench for the rest of this season.

Read on Twitter

Sounds to me like he just painted himself onto the bench.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,760

Post#105 » by TunaFish » Sat Aug 8, 2020 5:06 am

What if he is legitimately on track to becoming the league’s next top-ten or even top-five caliber superstar?

And what if that is happening far faster than anybody saw coming?

As far from guaranteed as any of that is, especially given Porter’s injury history, the Denver Nuggets owe it to themselves to find out the answers to those questions which are potentially the most important ones for the future of the team on the court and the organization as a whole over the next decade.

Following the Spurs game, in response to the developing chemistry between Jokic and Porter it was Malone himself who referred to MPJ as a “cornerstone.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelrush/2020/08/08/its-time-for-michael-porter-jr-the-nuggets-third-cornerstone-to-become-a-permanent-starter/#683a04ea451e
Canned in Denver.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#106 » by THE J0KER » Sat Aug 8, 2020 9:27 am

Michael Porter Jr real breakthrough already happens around Christmas. It was hidden only thanks to his reduced playing time (including ZERO career 30+ minutes games before this restart, and just a few games over 25 minutes).

BEFORE BUBBLE Denver Nuggets record was 14-3 (82%) in all games where MPJ played over 15 minutes (60%, 29-19 in others)!

His per-36 minutes' numbers are 21-11 (TS% 62%), and 3 starters are out in Orlando, including Will Barton, so it was obvious what will comes. MPJ bubble numbers are more like 30-10 than 20-10, which means he improved more in the meantime, and also his chemistry with Jokic goes on the next level (+Murray out makes MPJ ultimate offensive option).

I'm pretty sure MPJ already secured his starting job and 30+ mpg for the rest of the season and playoff when all injured players back. Malone is stubborn but for sure not stupid or mad, so we can be more relaxed and more excited now at the same time!
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,327

Post#107 » by DaFan334 » Sat Aug 8, 2020 4:36 pm

Yeah, if Harris doesn't get healthy, I could see Barton moving back to the 2 if not the Bench. The bench would make more sense with Craig starting, but to finish games on offense, its gotta be Barton and Porter at the 2 and 3.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#108 » by THE J0KER » Sat Aug 8, 2020 6:12 pm

DaFan334 wrote:Yeah, if Harris doesn't get healthy, I could see Barton moving back to the 2 if not the Bench. The bench would make more sense with Craig starting, but to finish games on offense, its gotta be Barton and Porter at the 2 and 3.

With three elite offensive options in Jokic-MPJ-Murray, good defenders should take advantage of the remaining two spots, which means Harris over Barton. That is how I see a solution for starting lineup. Barton can play as a backup-SG and backup-SF both (even backup-PG if necessary), so he will play over 25mpg... but from the bench, which is actually better for him to be on the floor all these minutes when Jokic not playing.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#109 » by TunaFish » Sat Aug 8, 2020 7:04 pm

THE J0KER wrote:
DaFan334 wrote:Yeah, if Harris doesn't get healthy, I could see Barton moving back to the 2 if not the Bench. The bench would make more sense with Craig starting, but to finish games on offense, its gotta be Barton and Porter at the 2 and 3.

With three elite offensive options in Jokic-MPJ-Murray, good defenders should take advantage of the remaining two spots, which means Harris over Barton. That is how I see a solution for starting lineup. Barton can play as a backup-SG and backup-SF both (even backup-PG if necessary), so he will play over 25mpg... but from the bench, which is actually better for him to be on the floor all these minutes when Jokic not playing.

Barton and Millsap coming off the bench strengthens the team's chances of advancing.

Harris has to show something. Here is to hoping he can return.
Canned in Denver.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#110 » by THE J0KER » Sat Aug 8, 2020 7:51 pm

TunaFish wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:

Barton and Millsap coming off the bench strengthens the team's chances of advancing.

Harris has to show something. Here is to hoping he can return.

I would stay with expiring Millsap as a starter until the end of the season.
Both options are legit, but potential backfire of the decision to grant starting job to Grant this playoff can be his too much pumped price.
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#111 » by yellowknifer » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:07 am

He's a scary good talent. When I heard he introduced animal protein back into his diet I knew his injury issues would resolve themselves. If there is science promoting plants for health it exclusively comes from 7th day Adventist funded institutions and its total garbage. They believe we should all be following the Adam and Eve diet. They run the American Dietetics association. Its actually insane the history when you look into it.

Its pretty well documented too in 7th day Adventist literature itself.

I'm wondering if you guys have any links to some good stories about his diet shift?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:47 am

yellowknifer wrote:He's a scary good talent. When I heard he introduced animal protein back into his diet I knew his injury issues would resolve themselves. If there is science promoting plants for health it exclusively comes from 7th day Adventist funded institutions and its total garbage. They believe we should all be following the Adam and Eve diet. They run the American Dietetics association. Its actually insane the history when you look into it.

I'm wondering if you guys have any links to some good stories about his diet shift?

Not sure "he introduced animal protein back into his diet". I think he was raised as a vegan - but I'm not 100%. I don't know about anyone else, but I have no links to stories about his diet shift. He's not the only player to be a vegan. I'll let everyone make their own choice. If it makes them better or worse, that's just the way their career will go.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#113 » by The Rebel » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:14 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
yellowknifer wrote:He's a scary good talent. When I heard he introduced animal protein back into his diet I knew his injury issues would resolve themselves. If there is science promoting plants for health it exclusively comes from 7th day Adventist funded institutions and its total garbage. They believe we should all be following the Adam and Eve diet. They run the American Dietetics association. Its actually insane the history when you look into it.

Not sure "he introduced animal protein back into his diet". I think he was raised as a vegan - but I'm not 100%. I don't know about anyone else, but I have no links to stories about his diet shift. He's not the only player to be a vegan. I'll let everyone make their own choice. If it makes them better or worse, that's just the way their career will go.

He was raised vegetarian and they only went full on raw food vegan his last couple of years of high school, but I do remember interviews with him and the trainer talking about how he has added fish and bacon to his diet since he has been in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#114 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:25 pm

The Rebel wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

He was raised vegetarian and they only went full on raw food vegan his last couple of years of high school, but I do remember interviews with him and the trainer talking about how he has added fish and bacon to his diet since he has been in Denver.

Bacon is one of the most addictive substances I've run into. :laugh:
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#115 » by TunaFish » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:07 pm

Michael Malone confirmed to ESPN's Doris Burke and Mike Breen that the Denver Nuggets plan on keeping Michael Porter Jr. as their starting small forward.

The Nuggets inserted Porter into the starting lineup as the restart began.

Porter is averaging 23.1 points and 8.7 rebounds through seven games as a starter.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259137/Nuggets-To-Keep-Michael-Porter-Jr-In-Starting-Lineup

I think we all saw that coming.
Canned in Denver.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 331

Post#116 » by Mac1958 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:01 pm

TunaFish wrote:Michael Malone confirmed to ESPN's Doris Burke and Mike Breen that the Denver Nuggets plan on keeping Michael Porter Jr. as their starting small forward.

The Nuggets inserted Porter into the starting lineup as the restart began.

Porter is averaging 23.1 points and 8.7 rebounds through seven games as a starter.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259137/Nuggets-To-Keep-Michael-Porter-Jr-In-Starting-Lineup

I think we all saw that coming.

Yeah. Good.

Porter Jr. is not just an elite-level talent, but an A-1 alpha dog, which is just what this team needed.

If he stays healthy, this is an all-time great draft steal.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#117 » by psimanic1 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:51 pm

This could also mean atleast one of Harris or Barton wont get back for the playoffs.
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#118 » by yellowknifer » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:00 pm

The Rebel wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

Right but most kids get breastfed although there is a chance he wasn't. Probably should have written it differently. Still curious if anyone has any articles where he discusses the subject. Its a fascinating one for me.

Also should add that I think the nuggets are setup for a potential dynasty.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by The Rebel » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:34 am

yellowknifer wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Not sure "he introduced animal protein back into his diet". I think he was raised as a vegan - but I'm not 100%. I don't know about anyone else, but I have no links to stories about his diet shift. He's not the only player to be a vegan. I'll let everyone make their own choice. If it makes them better or worse, that's just the way their career will go.

Right but most kids get breastfed although there is a chance he wasn't. Probably should have written it differently. Still curious if anyone has any articles where he discusses the subject. Its a fascinating one for me.

Also should add that I think the nuggets are setup for a potential dynasty.

Sorry, I guess I am a little too far past my preteen years, it took me a while to even figure out how you got to there from the conversation we were having.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#120 » by skywalker33 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:48 am

I care more about MPJ's on-floor production rather than his diet but that's just me
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!

Return to Denver Nuggets