ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: USA, China, Taiwan and Hong Kong thread (2020-2021)

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,785

Re: OT: USA, China, Taiwan and Hong Kong thread (2020 edition) 

Post#41 » by matchman » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:50 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Are you fans of the team or the player?
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#42 » by matchman » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:18 am

Read on Twitter

Ok so here we go.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by matchman » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:38 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by matchman » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:06 am

President Trump said on Thursday that Hong Kong's global financial centre will "go to hell" under tightened mainland rule.

"Hong Kong can never succeed having China as opposed to the thousands of geniuses that ran it, having China run it," Trump told Fox Business news. "The Hong Kong markets will go to hell. Nobody's going to do business."

Trump announced in May that he was ending the special US trading relationship with Hong Kong in retaliation for Beijing's clampdown on the previously largely autonomous territory.

Trump told Fox Business that the end to the special status meant that Hong Kong would lose its ability to attract business and serve as one of the world's chief financial hubs, along with New York and London.

Trump said he had approved of the longstanding relationship, which amounted to a "tremendous amount of money in the form of incentives to make Hong Kong free."

But "once China got aggressive and took it over, I took everything back. Everything's back now and it will fail," he said.

Trump has made a trade war with China, followed by a truce at the start of this year, a pillar of his foreign policy.

However, hopes for a follow-up "phase two" trade deal that would resolve some of the underlying issues in the rivalry between the world's two largest economies have been dashed by tensions over the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump has seen his election chances seriously hurt by fallout from the pandemic and is increasingly focusing blame on China, where the virus first appeared.

"My mindset has changed on China since they allowed the plague," he said. "It's before plague and after plague. Right now I view China differently than I did before plague."

Asked, however, if he agreed with critics that President Xi Jinping should step aside, he answered: "Look, they're running their country. We're running our country." (AFP)
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,167

Post#45 » by aq_ua » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:44 am

Hi match - are you seeing any sort of exodus of US firms out of HK? I've been watching the headlines, but it seems there was more talk than action, especially from the financial services side of things.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,610

Post#46 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:45 am

Scariest part of this was that China indicted a US citizen under its new national security law.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by matchman » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:09 am

aq_ua wrote:Hi match - are you seeing any sort of exodus of US firms out of HK? I've been watching the headlines, but it seems there was more talk than action, especially from the financial services side of things.

Hi Aqua, I think the exodus will be a gradual movement, since people are watching how HK gov is leveraging the newly set up national security law. Theoretically this law gives them power to arrest people from any nations harming or attempting to harm national security of PRC and Hong Kong.

Red line is Hong Kong while blue line is Singapore. Singapore's gain is Hong Kong's loss. Previously there are rumour suggesting the possibility of Taiwan replacing Hong Kong, but Taiwan has their own problems and risks, they are in the firing zone of PRC (which many think there is a possibility of hot war, either Taiwan or South China Sea area.)

Meanwhile Hong Kong stock market is getting polluted by a lot of malicious company enlisting. One of the recent examples, Nongfu Spring, the market leader of bottled water in China.

https://www.jqknews.com/news/498098-Nongfu_Shanquans_96-billion_dividend_of_84_billion_yuan_goes_into_Zhong_Zhuos_pocket_to_borrow_money_before_going_public.html

"Nongfu Shanquans 9.6-billion dividend of 8.4 billion yuan goes into Zhong Zhuos pocket to borrow money before going public"

Where is the compliance, due diligence and ordinance? This enlisting is set up for a fraud at the end, just like that of Luckin' Coffee.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by matchman » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:13 am

KnicksGadfly wrote:Scariest part of this was that China indicted a US citizen under its new national security law.

Yes, literally the whole planet Earth or even the moon is under this new law.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by matchman » Sat Sep 5, 2020 4:23 am

Although I really dislike MDA and Rockets style of basketball bit hey I am totally fine with Rockets advancing the playoffs this year.

Chinese audience are being blacked out for all Rockets game (yes CCP has strong memory) up to now. :nod:
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by matchman » Sat Sep 5, 2020 4:31 am

https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pacific/inner-mongolians-boycott-classes-protest-chinese-language-policy

Tuesday marked the first day of school in China’s northern Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, but a boycott of classes left many classrooms and playgrounds empty. Hundreds of ethnic Mongolian students, parents and teachers are protesting a new bilingual education policy they say will endanger Mongolian language and culture.

The policy, announced before the start of the fall semester, requires schools to use national textbooks in Mandarin starting in the first grade of primary schools and in middle schools, replacing the current Mongolian textbooks. The Mandarin instruction is expected to expand to politics and morality courses and history classes over the next two years.

Over the past few days, protests by Mongolian students, parents, teachers and ordinary herders have taken place in many cities in Inner Mongolia, all opposing the "bilingual teaching" policy implemented by the Inner Mongolia Education Department.

Videos provided by the South Mongolia Human Rights Information Center show hundreds of middle school students in school uniforms chanting, "Defend Mongolian culture and language," while some of them, with the help of parents and citizens, are seen breaking through a closed gate and leaving school.

Many others are not choosing to make public demonstrations against the policy, fearing possible violent retaliation by Chinese authorities. Dagula, a mother of an elementary student, told VOA she was keeping her child at home.

Winnie the Pooh is so good at making his own enemies.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by matchman » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:15 am

More controversy about Mulan film.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-54064654

Disney is under fire for shooting its new film Mulan in parts of China where the government is accused of serious human rights abuses.

The final credits thank a government security agency in Xinjiang province, where about 1m people - mostly Muslim Uighurs - are thought to be detained.

The film was already the target of a boycott after its lead actress backed a crackdown on Hong Kong protesters.

Disney has not commented on the row over the locations and the credits.

China says its detention camps in Xinjiang are necessary to improve security.

The live-action film, which is one of the biggest releases of the year, is a remake of the 1998 animated story of a young girl who takes her father's place in the army.

But fans in some Asian countries called for a boycott after Chinese-born actress Liu Yifei made comments supporting Hong Kong's police who have been accused of violence against pro-democracy protesters in recent months.

Then, on Monday, social media users noticed that in the credits Disney thanked a number of government entities in Xinjiang , including the public security bureau in the city of Turpan and the "publicity department of CPC Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomy Region Committee".
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by matchman » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:28 pm

https://nypost.com/2020/10/15/emails-reveal-how-hunter-biden-tried-to-cash-in-big-with-chinese-firm/?utm_source=url_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

So Hong Kong ex-officials Chi Ping, Ho and his affiliated "non-government organization" is related with the Hunter Biden email gate, wow. And to consider the timing of this leaked repaired notebook, we may wonder what price Joe Biden is going to pay to win this election.
hugolizard
Junior
And1: 10

Post#53 » by hugolizard » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:23 am

Y’all need to stop posting politics in this forum. I live in HK and there was no stopping to the violence by these mobs who were just selfish and simply wanted what would benefit themselves.

The only reason Trump has stopped talking about the issue is because of how he handled the BLM protest. Imagine China had their army down in HK to take care of protestors like it did in the US. The world would’ve been all over China with 10000 sanctions.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by aq_ua » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:24 am

hugolizard wrote:Y’all need to stop posting politics in this forum. I live in HK and there was no stopping to the violence by these mobs who were just selfish and simply wanted what would benefit themselves.

The only reason Trump has stopped talking about the issue is because of how he handled the BLM protest. Imagine China had their army down in HK to take care of protestors like it did in the US. The world would’ve been all over China with 10000 sanctions.

Interesting take - selfish in what way?
watchmen77
Bench Warmer
And1: 27

Post#55 » by watchmen77 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:58 am

aq_ua wrote:
hugolizard wrote:Y’all need to stop posting politics in this forum. I live in HK and there was no stopping to the violence by these mobs who were just selfish and simply wanted what would benefit themselves.

Stop damaging other people's business
Stop asking other people to fight for your freedom
Last time a country got USA to involved to fight for their freedom is Iraq, and you want to guess how many people died since then in that country?
Some people just want to make money and build a living, you want to fight then go ahead, but don't burn other people's house down.
What's sad to me is that we could have had them BOTH. Harvard learning from one of the GOAT.

Now we have Fat learning from Drunk.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by aq_ua » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:45 am

watchmen77 wrote:
aq_ua wrote:

Last time a country got USA to involved to fight for their freedom is Iraq, and you want to guess how many people died since then in that country?
Some people just want to make money and build a living, you want to fight then go ahead, but don't burn other people's house down.

Well, if the definition of selfish is the pursuit of happiness and life without consideration for those that don't share the same world view, then it appears selfishness is a common trait.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by matchman » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:39 am

aq_ua wrote:
watchmen77 wrote:
aq_ua wrote:Interesting take - selfish in what way?

Well, if the definition of selfish is the pursuit of happiness and life without consideration for those that don't share the same world view, then it appears selfishness is a common trait.

If the fight is for one's personal benefit and interest only, I would say it is selfish.

But now as more and more freedom, rule of law and universal value is distorted and suppressed by the communists in the name of "national security", "fight against pandemic" etc, we could be the last generation of Hong Kongese that can still distinguish themselves among other Chinese under CCP rule.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by matchman » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:47 am

With so much dislike against Morey's basketball philosophy and ESPN's prejudice against Knicks, I still need to share this article. Morey earns much of my respect by risking his job and career while still voicing out.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30587457/philadelphia-76ers-daryl-morey-was-worried-hong-kong-tweet-end-nba-career

Here I quote the essence if you don't want to feed ESPN with that click.

What James did not know was that Morey had befriended a number of Hong Kong residents while attending business school and had intimate knowledge of the challenges they faced living in a semi-autonomous region. His decision to tweet his support was neither rash nor uninformed, but a conscious effort to express his solidarity for people he knew well.

Asked months later if he regrets his decision to support the protests in Hong Kong, Morey paused for several seconds before responding, "I'm very comfortable with what I did."

When you compare and contrast those players' different attitude against CCP on Hong Kong, and the BLM movement, people may wonder how sincere they are against the police violence, and also the "tyranny" of one strong superpower.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,648

Post#59 » by nedleeds » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:34 pm

aq_ua wrote:Hi match - are you seeing any sort of exodus of US firms out of HK? I've been watching the headlines, but it seems there was more talk than action, especially from the financial services side of things.

Not sure if it's related but real estate in Taiwan (Taipei is where I'm buying) has been going up and up since June. This could be the ex-pats returning back to live a Covid free existence, or HK folks wanting to get away.

I'm kicking myself for not buying back last Summer.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by matchman » Mon Mar 1, 2021 5:15 pm

nedleeds wrote:

Not sure if it's related but real estate in Taiwan (Taipei is where I'm buying) has been going up and up since June. This could be the ex-pats returning back to live a Covid free existence, or HK folks wanting to get away.

I'm kicking myself for not buying back last Summer.

For investment opportunities (real estates, stock market e.g. Taiwan SemiConductor) in Taiwan there are plenty but still there is some certain risks.

With Biden and Democrat in the US government right now, no one can predict what will happen to Taiwan if China decides to "send troops to take back their land" and across the Taiwan strait.

Back in 2017,

"According to an alleged e-mail by Hillary Clinton published by WikiLeaks, the former United States Secretary of State was willing to discuss a New York Times editorial calling on Washington to ditch Taiwan in return for China writing off debt."

And yeah there are numerous Hong Kongers moving to Taiwan since 2019, that may drive the price of real estates to upward trend.

Return to New York Knicks