ImageImageImage

NBA Free Agency

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

NBA Free Agency 

Post#1 » by Norseman79 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:01 pm

Figured since we have a draft and a trade thread, might as well throw in a free agent thread. Who do you guys like? What do we have to spend? Given what we see in the draft, what players in free agency would mesh with what we need?

Discussion question, could we go after a Max player?
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Re: NBA Free Agency 

Post#2 » by KGdaBom » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:16 am

I'm of the trade and draft camp at the moment. Maybe make a move on Campazzo.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,385

Post#3 » by shrink » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:56 am

Norseman79 wrote:Figured since we have a draft and a trade thread, might as well throw in a free agent thread. Who do you guys like? What do we have to spend? Given what we see in the draft, what players in free agency would mesh with what we need?

Good idea for the thread.

We won’t have cap space next season, or probably for a long time with two max players on the books the next three years. However, since we can bring back Malik Beasley with Bird rights, we could still have the Mid-Level Exception available, to offer free agents a deal that starts at around $10 mil.

Here’s a list of the top free agents.

https://hoopshype.com/2020/01/20/nba-free-agency-2020-the-top-players/
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,385

Post#4 » by shrink » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:33 am

To make it easier, we’re probably looking hardest at a PF/SF. Here’s a list.

UFA. Marcus Morris
UFA. Paul Milsap
UFA. Davis Bertans
T.O. Bobby Portis
P.O. Jerami Grant
RFA. Dario Saric
P.O. Jabari Parker

UFA. Danilo Gallinari
UFA. Jae Crowder
P.O. Otto Porter
UFA. Carmelo Anthony
UFA. Andre Iguodala
UFA. Moe Harkless
P.O. James Ennis
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#5 » by old school 34 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:56 am

shrink wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:Figured since we have a draft and a trade thread, might as well throw in a free agent thread. Who do you guys like? What do we have to spend? Given what we see in the draft, what players in free agency would mesh with what we need?

Good idea for the thread.

We won’t have cap space next season, or probably for a long time with two max players on the books the next three years. However, since we can bring back Malik Beasley with Bird rights, we could still have the Mid-Level Exception available, to offer free agents a deal that starts at around $10 mil.

Here’s a list of the top free agents.

https://hoopshype.com/2020/01/20/nba-free-agency-2020-the-top-players/
There's maybe 3 guys that I have some interest in spending said full mid level for...but chances are remote that you can get any of the 3...but you take your shot until they're for sure out...

1. Grant
2. Harris
3. Harkless

Lots of guys have mentioned these guys already...so nothing earth shattering...but all make sense for obvious reasons.

After that...I guess ensure Sac has to pay Bogdanovic at least the full mid level @ minimum...even with Covid & the reduced cap, a near certainty.

Then we're back to maybe just breaking it up an a couple minimum types starting with a longer defensive bench big to compete with Naz? Won't be a lot of those guys like last year though, cause you already have too many guys vs. roster spots...so any of those types they'd have to be fairly confident that he'll be a clear upgrade over someone already on roster...not saying that's impossible to do...but if your doing it on the minimum that's a little trickier?

I think Rosas has proven (last year anyways)....that he won't use the mid level just to do it? The guy has to be a long term rotation piece that's close to his end game....meaning I can't see him signing a guy like Bazemore for full mid level cause he struck out on the others and he's a vet upgrade over Nowell & he cuts Nowell then. He'd rather have the lesser or unproven talent on a flexible cheap deal than that overpaid middle class guy on a 3-4 deal which I 100% support!

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#6 » by Rookie-Mistake » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:07 am

Can this be renamed the Gupta thread? Going off that list.. gimme Bertans.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,285

Post#7 » by winforlose » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:59 pm

Three problems.

1. Team is for sale. This could impact front office and honestly could even end the team. I would not watch the Seattle Timberwolves or Seattle SuperSonics. So at that point FA is totally irrelevant.
2. The salary cap is taking a major hit from Covid. We don’t know if exemptions are going to be effected, or how the cap hit will effect the value of contracts moving forward. Will players be league minimum because teams can not afford to pay them?
3. We don’t know with certainty that there will be a next season. The bubble could collapse at any point during the playoffs. All it would take is one false negative test and a player could infect enough people to collapse the league. Also account for the fact that playing a whole season in a bubble is a bad idea for any number of reasons. If the second waive hits and the vaccine doesn’t happen soon enough the season just won’t be played (or will be heavily delayed and shortened.)

For all these reasons it seems impossible to talk about free agency at this point.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by Norseman79 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:04 pm

winforlose wrote:Three problems.

1. Team is for sale. This could impact front office and honestly could even end the team. I would not watch the Seattle Timberwolves or Seattle SuperSonics. So at that point FA is totally irrelevant.
2. The salary cap is taking a major hit from Covid. We don’t know if exemptions are going to be effected, or how the cap hit will effect the value of contracts moving forward. Will players be league minimum because teams can not afford to pay them?
3. We don’t know with certainty that there will be a next season. The bubble could collapse at any point during the playoffs. All it would take is one false negative test and a player could infect enough people to collapse the league. Also account for the fact that playing a whole season in a bubble is a bad idea for any number of reasons. If the second waive hits and the vaccine doesn’t happen soon enough the season just won’t be played (or will be heavily delayed and shortened.)

For all these reasons it seems impossible to talk about free agency at this point.

Then why talk about any of it?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,792

Post#9 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:14 pm

winforlose wrote:Three problems.

This is actually a good point to bring up, though I disagree with your entire reasoning.

The team would not end. Your interest in the team may not continue, but the team going for sale isn't going to drop the NBA to a 29-team league. Front office changes also likely wouldn't be immediate.

However, it's a good point to bring up that a pending sale likely means no drastic changes. In the days/weeks leading up to the sale of the Sonics in 2006, there were no drastic changes. The only transaction outside of the draft was trading a player for a future 2nd round pick. Similar story when the Kings changed hands. Now, I've previously brought up the possibility of no drastic changes for continuity's sake, but this is something real to keep in mind as well.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,699

Post#10 » by minimus » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:07 am

It depends on price. I would love to sign Jae Crowder for 28mil/4yrs deal, Moe Harkless for 16mil/4yrs etc. Many MIN fans say to would give Jeremi Grant a deal more than his current contract which 9mil per year. Honestly, his rebounding numbers scare me. We are bad at rebounding, and inserting Grant as starting PF will make our defense even worse. Glenn Robinson for 2-3mil as SF.

Other options in case JMac leaves are Campazzo, Melton.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by Norseman79 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:55 pm

minimus wrote:It depends on price. I would love to sign Jae Crowder for 28mil/4yrs deal, Moe Harkless for 16mil/4yrs etc. Many MIN fans say to would give Jeremi Grant a deal more than his current contract which 9mil per year. Honestly, his rebounding numbers scare me. We are bad at rebounding, and inserting Grant as starting PF will make our defense even worse. Glenn Robinson for 2-3mil as SF.

What about Grant as a SF? Also, my understanding is that Grant is a plus defender capable of guarding 2-5. If wrong, then I see your point. I do like Harkless depending on price and what we do in draft as he has familiarity and had success in Portland with David V.
minimus
RealGM

Post#12 » by minimus » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:13 am

Norseman79 wrote:
minimus wrote:It depends on price. I would love to sign Jae Crowder for 28mil/4yrs deal, Moe Harkless for 16mil/4yrs etc. Many MIN fans say to would give Jeremi Grant a deal more than his current contract which 9mil per year. Honestly, his rebounding numbers scare me. We are bad at rebounding, and inserting Grant as starting PF will make our defense even worse. Glenn Robinson for 2-3mil as SF.

What about Grant as a SF? Also, my understanding is that Grant is a plus defender capable of guarding 2-5. If wrong, then I see your point. I do like Harkless depending on price and what we do in draft as he has familiarity and had success in Portland with David V.

Regarding Grant as a SF, I think we need a dynamic ballhandler in lineup next to DLo. If we put Grant at SF position, Beasley at SG, then we must find ballhandler at PF, or at least above average, creative passer at PF. We can try to hide Grant rebounding at SF, but even for SF he is below average rebounder. I am wondering how he fails to rebound with such athletic tools.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#13 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:28 am

minimus wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:

Regarding Grant as a SF, I think we need a dynamic ballhandler in lineup next to DLo. If we put Grant at SF position, Beasley at SG, then we must find ballhandler at PF, or at least above average, creative passer at PF. We can try to hide Grant rebounding at SF, but even for SF he is below average rebounder. I am wondering how he fails to rebound with such athletic tools.

I didn't realize that Grant was that poor of a rebounder, but last year he was at 4.7 per 36 so quite bad. Just a couple years ago he was at 7 boards per 36. Quite respectable for an SF and that is the position I would like him in. I appreciate the rest of his game.
minimus
RealGM

NBA Free Agency 

Post#14 » by minimus » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:34 pm

Read on Twitter

I have irrational faith in Vanderbilt as long term solution at PF because of three things:

1) defensive versatility. NBA.com wrote after 2018 draft: Has terrific tools and potential as a defender especially if he can continue to get stronger. Length and lateral quickness could allow him to comfortably guard multiple positions. Allowed just 0.750 points per Isolation possession[56th percentile] showing impressive recovery speed sliding his feet to stay step-for-step with smaller players.

2) rebounding potential. This is such underrated yet very important skill if we are going to play 1-3-1 scheme. I believe that Vanderbilt-KAT duo can fix our rebounding issues.

3) passing ability. Surrounded by three elite shooters in DLo-Beasley-KAT it is crucial for PF/SF in our system to move the ball well. Vanderbilt seems to be willing passer who can facilitate offense, stay within offensive flow.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#15 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:36 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

I have irrational faith in Vanderbilt as long term solution at PF.

I agree. Very irrational. :lol:
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#16 » by Mattya » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:47 pm

If we traded Johnson for the Warriors TPE would that clear cap space?

If so, then I’m going after Joe Harris.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Klomp » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:04 pm

Mattya wrote:If we traded Johnson for the Warriors TPE would that clear cap space?

I'd have to run the numbers with cap holds and such, but I don't believe so
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#18 » by Mattya » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:36 pm

Klomp wrote:
Mattya wrote:If we traded Johnson for the Warriors TPE would that clear cap space?

I'd have to run the numbers with cap holds and such, but I don't believe so

RIP to my dream
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#19 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:44 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

I have irrational faith in Vanderbilt as long term solution at PF because of three things:

1) defensive versatility. NBA.com wrote after 2018 draft: Has terrific tools and potential as a defender especially if he can continue to get stronger. Length and lateral quickness could allow him to comfortably guard multiple positions. Allowed just 0.750 points per Isolation possession[56th percentile] showing impressive recovery speed sliding his feet to stay step-for-step with smaller players.

2) rebounding potential. This is such underrated yet very important skill if we are going to play 1-3-1 scheme. I believe that Vanderbilt-KAT duo can fix our rebounding issues.

3) passing ability. Surrounded by three elite shooters in DLo-Beasley-KAT it is crucial for PF/SF in our system to move the ball well. Vanderbilt seems to be willing passer who can facilitate offense, stay within offensive flow.

He certainly has potential, but maybe 1 player out of 10 lives up to potential. He's a very strong rebounder no question. Good passer for a big.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Klomp » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:13 pm

I have faith in Vanderbilt as a rotational piece right now, but he'll have to do more to prove he's a long-term solution.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves