Nate signs 1 year extension (No Hot Seat)

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,234

Re: Nate in the Hot Seat?? 

Post#21 » by boomershadow » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:00 pm

Well that puts that rumor to rest pretty firmly.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#22 » by Pacers_Freak » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:22 pm

boomershadow wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:
Tom White wrote:
I think Nate gets more blame than he is due for the offense. I'm not sure about Doug, but Justin has been getting looks, he just isn't hitting right now. Yes, they do miss Domas. That is part of the problem with the offense currently. He is one very basketball-smart guy. You don't expect Myles to make the same plays or passes out of the post that Domas makes, do you? 'Cause that is not gonna happen, and that's not on Nate. Its only that Myles simply doesn't think the game on the same level Domas does. Also, how do you explain Warren having a career defining stretch? Must be bad coaching?

It just seems a bit knee-jerk that after they have had only one bad game since the restart, someone thinks Nate is on the hot seat.

Darn, guys, the team is on a 4-1 streak. Let's enjoy it.

Nate should get credit for things such as Warren's play, Domas' play, Vic's play, Aaron's play, etc. I've generally defended Nate on here, including in this thread. He has some very good strengths and I'm not for replacing him but that also has to do with the fact that there isn't a great option out there that I'm aware of.

But there are issues with his offense that will continue to limit the team's ceiling unless TJ keeps playing like a superstar iso scorer. We should be able to get more open looks for shooters than we currently are. Sure, we won't get nearly as many without Domas. We get nearly none out of sets without Domas though and that's an issue. At that point we're relying on fast breaks and hot shooting, which always fails in the playoffs.

Too many plays end with whoever has the ball making something up. That works for TJ, Vic, and Domas generally. It works for Brogdon some of the time. It doesn't work for Myles or any of the bench players except Lamb. And it doesn't work to put pressure on the defense.

Other than JVG mentioning it and the quote getting spread around though, I wouldn't necessarily call it knee jerk. It's been talked about routinely that Nate just likely isn't the guy to take the team to the next level. Maybe management is thinking now is the time to look at someone else? Maybe it's just JVG blowing smoke.

The biggest issue for me is that the hands off approach to offense doesnt work as well in the playoffs when other teams' defense really has time and energy to clamp down. Regardless of the talent level on the team, making it up on fly doesnt work n the postseason unless you got a legit star level creator.

The curent team has more offensive firepower now than it did a year ago, which is encouraging, but last year's team wasn't devoid of offensive talent when it scored 71, 94, 96, and 106 points against a Celtics team that only won one game in the second round.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying. In fact, I do agree. I do find it interesting that back in the day many on here complained about how structured Voegel's offense was. He always called plays and didn't let the players play. Now Nate is too hands off. Is there a middle ground? Or when things don't work do we clamor for the opposite approach? This question is not directed at you or your points. Just thinking out loud.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#23 » by boomershadow » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:25 pm

Read on Twitter
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#24 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:11 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
boomershadow wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:
Nate should get credit for things such as Warren's play, Domas' play, Vic's play, Aaron's play, etc. I've generally defended Nate on here, including in this thread. He has some very good strengths and I'm not for replacing him but that also has to do with the fact that there isn't a great option out there that I'm aware of.

But there are issues with his offense that will continue to limit the team's ceiling unless TJ keeps playing like a superstar iso scorer. We should be able to get more open looks for shooters than we currently are. Sure, we won't get nearly as many without Domas. We get nearly none out of sets without Domas though and that's an issue. At that point we're relying on fast breaks and hot shooting, which always fails in the playoffs.

Too many plays end with whoever has the ball making something up. That works for TJ, Vic, and Domas generally. It works for Brogdon some of the time. It doesn't work for Myles or any of the bench players except Lamb. And it doesn't work to put pressure on the defense.

Other than JVG mentioning it and the quote getting spread around though, I wouldn't necessarily call it knee jerk. It's been talked about routinely that Nate just likely isn't the guy to take the team to the next level. Maybe management is thinking now is the time to look at someone else? Maybe it's just JVG blowing smoke.

The biggest issue for me is that the hands off approach to offense doesnt work as well in the playoffs when other teams' defense really has time and energy to clamp down. Regardless of the talent level on the team, making it up on fly doesnt work n the postseason unless you got a legit star level creator.

The curent team has more offensive firepower now than it did a year ago, which is encouraging, but last year's team wasn't devoid of offensive talent when it scored 71, 94, 96, and 106 points against a Celtics team that only won one game in the second round.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying. In fact, I do agree. I do find it interesting that back in the day many on here complained about how structured Voegel's offense was. He always called plays and didn't let the players play. Now Nate is too hands off. Is there a middle ground? Or when things don't work do we clamor for the opposite approach? This question is not directed at you or your points. Just thinking out loud.

Yeah, last year I would've been more interested in moving on, personally, but dang. McMillan really tried and stretched his comfort zone this year. He played Justin Holiday at the 4! He played two centers together! He played TJ Warren at the 4! He's played a Brogdon/Oladipo/AHoliday starting lineup here in the bubble! He's played Jakarr Sampson as the 5! The guy is CLEARLY more willing to keep up with the times than we thought he may have been. He didn't cling to a TJ Leaf just to maintain appearances of his normal lineups. As I said earlier in the thread, I'd like to see him bring in a more offensive mind on the bench next to him, to pair with Burke on defense. Add in a better developmental program that seems more focused, and I'm in. Maybe make sure the health and fitness/training staff program is up to date, too?
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#25 » by boomershadow » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:22 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote: As I said earlier in the thread, I'd like to see him bring in a more offensive mind on the bench next to him, to pair with Burke on defense.

If that happens, I would be 100% on board. That's basically what Larry Bird did with Rick Carlisle well before that was a name anyone knew.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#26 » by Jake0890 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:10 pm

I am not a Nate McMillan fan. I am in no way a fan of this but at the same time this feels like a totally predictable Pacers move.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#27 » by Tom White » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:24 pm

Guess Van Gundy is going to have to try to poke at someone else's beehive.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#28 » by pacers33granger » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:06 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
boomershadow wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

Personally, my issues with Frank's offense was that it just sucked. He had a structure, but it just wasn't good. I'm skeptical he's gotten better as he now has two top 10 guys after failing miserably in Orlando. Tbf, the personnel wasn't great either, so it wasn't all Frank.

Nate lets the wrong guys play freely. It works for guys like Vic and Domas. It doesn't work for most of our other players and limits how much time we can give for development as guys like Sumner, Alize, etc. can't just "play a role" and end up having to create at some point. I prefer it to Frank's approach FWIW.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:07 pm

Just a one year extension. So, may not stick long term either.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#30 » by pacers33granger » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:00 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Just a one year extension. So, may not stick long term either.

Yeah this seems like a move to keep stability. Not in a reactive way to the quote from JVG, I'm sure it was planned and in the works before. But a lot has been up in the air over the past year between Vic, the Domas/Myles pairing, and speculation even in the offseason about Nate's job.

It is what it is ultimately and management has earned the benefit of the doubt generally when it comes to sticking to their gameplan. I do wish we had a more inspired offensive assistant. I guess that's what Bayno was always supposed to be, but eh. Nate may not be too keen on an assistant picked by management having that much pull either given that's how he got the job.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#31 » by Pacersike » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:26 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Just a one year extension. So, may not stick long term either.

Can someone change the title of the thread? #positivevibes
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#32 » by boomershadow » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:01 pm

Pacersike wrote:

Can someone change the title of the thread? #positivevibes

Done.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by Tom White » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:06 pm

I thought I read somewhere it was a two year deal?
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Re: Nate signs 1 year extension (No Hot Seat) 

Post#34 » by boomershadow » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:08 pm

From there, after receiving that glowing review, which made today’s announcement seem like the only possible outcome while also highlighting the benefit of organizational synergy when coach and executive are walking in-step with each other in pursuit of a strong team culture, McMillan didn’t have the benefit of his star player during last postseason and likely won’t have the benefit of his other star player during this postseason.

Admittedly, nagging concerns linger. Putting Bogdanovic in the position to play hero-ball without a hero was cringe-inducing against Boston’s switches, and the refusal to pivot toward experimenting with the Turner-Sabonis pairing once Oladipo went down was short-sighted; however, even with the warranted criticism that McMillan could stand to glance a little further into the future while also focusing on the here and now, a roster short on shot-creation and spacing at the four position wasn’t likely to stay competitive against a team that was actively trading defensive assignments.

Now, with T.J. Warren’s emergence lending the team increased flexibility to adapt to the modern-era, McMillan deserves a chance to grow along with his team into an extension he rightfully earned, but the ceiling can’t continue to be the heightened floor.

C. Cooper
https://www.indycornrows.com/2020/8/12/21364785/nate-mcmillan-needs-to-grow-into-the-extension-he-earned-with-the-pacers
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#35 » by boomershadow » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:20 pm

Tom White wrote:

"McMillan told reporters that his extension was for one year. He had one year left on his contract before agreeing to the extension."

www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29645044/sources-pacers-coach-nate-mcmillan-agrees-contract-extension

So this extension takes him through 21-22? I believe. Unless the one year left means this year?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:21 pm

boomershadow wrote:
Tom White wrote:

"McMillan told reporters that his extension was for one year. He had one year left on his contract before agreeing to the extension."

www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29645044/sources-pacers-coach-nate-mcmillan-agrees-contract-extension

So this extension takes him through 21-22? I believe. Unless the one year left means this year?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Team option for next year. His one year remaining was next year. They added another on it through 21-22.

Rarely, if ever, do teams allow coaches to hit the final year of their contract, as it makes it harder to negotiate a long term deal with them if they’re able to hit free agency shortly, and coaches like longer term security so that players are more likely to buy in.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by Tom White » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:23 pm

Tom White wrote:I'd sooner believe that Van Gundy is angling for a coaching job than that Nate is on the hot seat. Look at the injuries this team has had this year, then look at their record. Over-achieving I'd say.

So, I'm going to quote myself here in relation to what I said about Van Gundy.

Just one day after it was announced Nate has been extended and is not "on the hot seat", we now are treated to an article stating Van Gundy is "likely leading the way" as a candidate to replace D'Antoni should the Rockets decide to part ways with him.

Interesting timing all around, I'd say.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#38 » by boomershadow » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:54 pm

Tom White wrote:
Tom White wrote:I'd sooner believe that Van Gundy is angling for a coaching job than that Nate is on the hot seat. Look at the injuries this team has had this year, then look at their record. Over-achieving I'd say.

Just one day after it was announced Nate has been extended and is not "on the hot seat", we now are treated to an article stating Van Gundy is "likely leading the way" as a candidate to replace D'Antoni should the Rockets decide to part ways with him.

I've never understood the JVG rumor mill. It doesn't even seem like he is interested in coaching again. Why would he be? He has a super cushy job. He hasn't coached since 06-07. I don't even remember him having an interview for a coaching job in half a decade. Yet in every coaching vacancy, and every rumored one, his name seems to pop up in the media around it. And he never turns out to be a serious candidate. The front office was never even looking at him, and he never seemed that interested anyways. And yet....when the next coaching vacancy happens, his name is gonna pop up no doubt.

Is it all just to make him seem like a more relevant announcer?
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by Tom White » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:03 pm

boomershadow wrote:I've never understood the JVG rumor mill......

It certainly keeps his name in the news, doesn't it? Maybe that is the whole point?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:03 pm

boomershadow wrote:
Tom White wrote:

I've never understood the JVG rumor mill. It doesn't even seem like he is interested in coaching again. Why would he be? He has a super cushy job. He hasn't coached since 06-07. I don't even remember him having an interview for a coaching job in half a decade. Yet in every coaching vacancy, and every rumored one, his name seems to pop up in the media around it. And he never turns out to be a serious candidate. The front office was never even looking at him, and he never seemed that interested anyways. And yet....when the next coaching vacancy happens, his name is gonna pop up no doubt.

Many former coaches have used these rumors to up their salaries every year with the networks for their announcing gigs, sure. Think of Jon Gruden getting raises year over year until he finally took the Raiders job. Although, he even parlayed college jobs into pay raises.

Return to Indiana Pacers