ImageImageImage

Sixers v Celtics Round 1

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Sixers v Celtics Round 1 

Post#1 » by 76ciology » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:15 am

Before the bubble, IMO we have the most favorable match-up against the Celtics.

We are 3-1 against them in regular season.

We have watched the same story in the last 2 playoff runs. Easy series if opponents can’t slow down Embiid. Embiid has a history of struggling against them with Baynes and Al. Both guys are not playing for the Celts now. And their replacement? Theis and Kanter. Embiid can probably watch dragon ball and eat his burger pre game now.

I sometimes wonder why Celts don’t stack their frontcourt and have atleast a “joel anthony” type player that plays a role for this type of match-up.

You have to understand how Brad Stevens play his defense. And that works well specially with Ben on the court. Celts build “wall” and swarms guys like Embiid to get deflections or force TOs. I believe Stevens plan is to pull Biid out and have Kanter or Theis to shoot 3s while they will have Tatum (defending Ben) to constantly send help in the paint. I think it’s going to be harder to execute without Ben. I’m really high with our spacing right now.

Playing without Ben does have it’s trade-offs. Ben usually thrives against the Celts. For some reason Brad likes to put Hayward at him, hayward is just not that big to defend Ben.

Expect Stevens to hunt Milton on defense. Either Kemba will run 1-5 PnR and tire him out or Jaylen will try to post him up. Can Al defend Tatum? I think he can. But I expect to see Embiid to defend Tatum at some stretch.

Celts’ entire game revolves around it’s 3 headed wings. Ben would have been the perfect guy against this. Now, you’re relying on Thybulle, Tobi or Al against their wing. Those three are no slouch on D, BTW. But I would have been more confident with Ben. Or maybe not, after his defense against TJ Warren and Kawhi against the Raps last season :lol:

Overall, I like how our team is playing now. Specially on offense, with the spacing and our guys like Burks, Neto or Milton stepping up. I like how a team is tactical on their match-ups.

I expect a career best playoff performance for Biid. He’s heading to the playoff, freshest as he can ever be. He has been playing well and he will prove that this is his team and this is how he wants the team to be played now and in the future.

And lastly I’m a big fan of underdogs that plays beautiful basketball. But are we really the underdogs? :wink:

P.S. expect teams to put a lot of pressure to our ball handlers
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,803

Re: Sixers v Celtics Round 1 

Post#2 » by kriss73 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:52 am

On the flipside, no one on our roster can defend their wings.

And Kemba could be a problem too.

Shake-Kemba
Jrich-Brown
?? - Hayward/Smart
Tobias-Tatum
Joel-Theis

On defense we're going to lose at least 3 duels.
At least.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Dnt hate
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Post#3 » by Dnt hate » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:51 am

This forum is full of raptors and celtics fans dont listen to all the bs talk, I honestly think we are clear favorites this series and the only chance we have of losing is an Embiid injury, I'm pumped for the playoffs its finally here baby
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,882

Post#4 » by Wilfried » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:27 am

Kemba is not really the one I fear. The trio of Brown/Tatum/Hayward are the ones to contain.
One of them will be guarded by Horford I assume.

But do the Celtics have any kind of bench, besides Smart. I feel we have a big advantage there
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,847

Post#5 » by kuclas » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:02 pm

Harris on Hayward
Thybulle on brown
Horford on Tatum
Richardson on walker
Embiid vs embiid bigs

I don’t know Milton will playable much in the series since he’s a defensive liability. Maybe Brett can get 10-15 minutes out of him. Expect Alex burks/thybulle/mike Scott bench rotation. Scott will play the 5 with Boston small ball as the 2nd team unit.

Overall it comes down to Boston making their shots vs sixers size. If Boston’s wings make their shots. It will be a difficult series for sixers to win. That’s why sixers have to take advantage of size and rebounding for 2nd chance opportunities.

There are many ways to overcoming hot shooting from opponents. Offensive rebounding and limit turnovers.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#6 » by 76ciology » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:06 pm

kuclas wrote:Harris on Hayward
Thybulle on brown
Horford on Tatum
Richardson on walker
Embiid vs embiid bigs

I don’t know Milton will playable much in the series since he’s a defensive liability. Maybe Brett can get 10-15 minutes out of him. Expect Alex burks/thybulle/mike Scott bench rotation. Scott will play the 5 with Boston small ball as the 2nd team unit.

Overall it comes down to Boston making their shots vs sixers size. If Boston’s wings make their shots. It will be a difficult series for sixers to win. That’s why sixers have to take advantage of size and rebounding for 2nd chance opportunities.

There are many ways to overcoming hot shooting from opponents. Offensive rebounding and limit turnovers.

I expect Burks to play a larger role than Milton in the playoffs
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,608

Post#7 » by mithrandir17 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:52 pm

To match-up with Boston's wings, this lineup should at least play 20 mins together.
Burks -> Brown
JRich -> Tatum
Thybulle -> Kemba
Harris -> Hayward
Embiid -> Kanter
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#8 » by VDT » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:10 pm

I think they are going to start Kanter on Embiid and try to crowd him with soft doubles. The key for Embiid here is to not settle for bad shots because he has to score nor to try to hunt for assists making risky passes. Just pass the ball to the open man and let him drive or make the final pass.

If they play Hayward on Horford i think this is a matchup we can exploit and give Horford possessions in the post.

Ultimately, the Celtics are a jump shooting team. If we dont turn the ball over to give them easy points and they dont get hot from the 3 we should win.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#9 » by LloydFree » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:29 pm

I like it when Brad Stevens' Celtics are considered the favorites. They are a different team when they have expectations.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#10 » by LloydFree » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:34 pm

kriss73 wrote:On the flipside, no one on our roster can defend their wings.

Shake-Kemba
Jrich-Brown

?? - Hayward/Smart
Tobias-Tatum
Joel-Theis

At least.

Richardson was acquired specifically to defend PGs, based on how we got torched by every single PG in '18/19. Richardson guarded him in the early season games as well.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,665

Post#11 » by Negrodamus » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:27 pm

Embiid needs to average 35 a game for us to win. It’s the only mismatch we have. This is his “legendary” playoffs if he has aspirations for all time greatness.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#12 » by youngcrev » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:38 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Embiid needs to average 35 a game for us to win. It’s the only mismatch we have. This is his “legendary” playoffs if he has aspirations for all time greatness.

He definitely needs to be dominant and the clear cut best player on either team for us to win. I don't know if that means scoring at that level though. Him being a dominant force offensively is going to have more to do with his passing and decision making on that end IMO.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,803

Post#13 » by kriss73 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:43 pm

LloydFree wrote:

Shake-Kemba
Jrich-Brown

?? - Hayward/Smart
Tobias-Tatum
Joel-Theis

At least.

Richardson was acquired specifically to defend PGs, based on how we got torched by every single PG in '18/19. Richardson guarded him in the early season games as well.
So Shake is gonna be murdered by Brown
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#14 » by LloydFree » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:56 pm

kriss73 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

Shake-Kemba
Jrich-Brown

?? - Hayward/Smart
Tobias-Tatum
Joel-Theis

At least.

So Shake is gonna be murdered by Brown

Early in the season, I saw Tobias on Brown. I don't really think it matters. The whole team is wings. They're going to hunt the mismatch no matter what, just like we are down low. But the 76ers aren't (or I say shouldn't) sit back and let the Kemba Walker win this series, when they specifically picked up Richardson to slow PGs.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#15 » by Negrodamus » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:32 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Embiid needs to average 35 a game for us to win. It’s the only mismatch we have. This is his “legendary” playoffs if he has aspirations for all time greatness.

He definitely needs to be dominant and the clear cut best player on either team for us to win. I don't know if that means scoring at that level though. Him being a dominant force offensively is going to have more to do with his passing and decision making on that end IMO.

Based completely off memory, so I could be wrong, but when great centers, like Olajuwon, are leaned upon in the playoffs, they have usually answered the calling with 30+ppg series. I expect Embiid to do the same, especially against Kanter.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#16 » by VDT » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:41 pm

Kanter is not that bad post defender. He doesnt protect the rim and cant switch but he is relatively strong so he can offer some resistance in the post.

I would be surprised if Embiid averaged 30+. They will try to take the ball out of his hands and the team needs to prove first that they can punish that. Embiid trying to score over double teams wont likely lead to a win.

Also comparing him to Hakeem is not something that Embiid has earned yet. If anything he has a lot to prove.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#17 » by Sixerscan » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:43 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Based completely off memory, so I could be wrong, but when great centers, like Olajuwon, are leaned upon in the playoffs, they have usually answered the calling with 30+ppg series. I expect Embiid to do the same, especially against Kanter.

Dream never faced zone though (officially, anyway).

Embiid needs to get his points but there will be times they just refuse to let him get inside and he's gotta be smart about picking when and when not to go.

And on the other end he's gotta figure out how to cover for all the other matchup issues. He might have to leave their centers more than usual and hope Theis doesn't hit half his threes.

And if Horford could keep things afloat when he's out that would be preferred.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#18 » by Negrodamus » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:47 pm

VDT wrote:Kanter is not that bad post defender. He doesnt protect the rim and cant switch but he is relatively strong so he can offer some resistance in the post.

I would be surprised if Embiid averaged 30+. They will try to take the ball out of his hands and the team needs to prove first that they can punish that. Embiid trying to score over double teams wont likely lead to a win.

Also comparing him to Hakeem is not something that Embiid has earned yet. If anything he has a lot to prove.

Correct, which is why I’m saying he has to dominate this series, and possibly playoffs, to begin that discussion.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#19 » by youngcrev » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:14 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

I think rule changes and schemes make that a lot more difficult, though I'd certainly love to see it. I think where he can dominate this series is scoring efficiently, limiting turnovers, and shutting down the paint defensively.

If Kanter is on him I'd love for them to try to PnR him to death. Same for Gasol if they manage to make it to the next round. Seems like all the guys that are big enough to give Jo trouble in the post are terrible in space.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,847

Post#20 » by kuclas » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:41 pm

No. Not just about the points. It’s about the efficiency.

I’d rather him get 24 but get 8 assists and get to foul line 10-12 times on 15 shots

Embiid jacking up 28 shots and getting 35 points with 3 assists is not good. That’s what Boston wants. Plus he will likely end up with 7-8 turnovers handling the ball that much. He had 5 turnovers in one had last time. That’s not good

Some combination of horford or Harris/Richardson or both will have to average 17-20 point range for us to win the series.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers