Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: NBA Free Agency 

Post#21 » by Jedzz » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:42 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

I have irrational faith in Vanderbilt as long term solution at PF because of three things:

1) defensive versatility. NBA.com wrote after 2018 draft: Has terrific tools and potential as a defender especially if he can continue to get stronger. Length and lateral quickness could allow him to comfortably guard multiple positions. Allowed just 0.750 points per Isolation possession[56th percentile] showing impressive recovery speed sliding his feet to stay step-for-step with smaller players.

2) rebounding potential. This is such underrated yet very important skill if we are going to play 1-3-1 scheme. I believe that Vanderbilt-KAT duo can fix our rebounding issues.

3) passing ability. Surrounded by three elite shooters in DLo-Beasley-KAT it is crucial for PF/SF in our system to move the ball well. Vanderbilt seems to be willing passer who can facilitate offense, stay within offensive flow.

He certainly has potential, but maybe 1 player out of 10 lives up to potential. He's a very strong rebounder no question. Good passer for a big.

His highlights look strong working inside. But can he make any shots outside 0-3ft. I hope he's been working on that.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#22 » by Norseman79 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:18 pm

Here is the thing on Vanderbilt, I think he is a 3...the same thing I would classify Ben Simmons as. This is me talking, not saying what everyone else says. Only the Wolves know what they have in Vanderbilt. That being said, I would be shocked if he is more than the 8th man this year. The potential is there, no doubt, but given how we want to play and his apparent lack of 3pt shot, I just can't see it.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,703

Post#23 » by thinktank » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:49 pm

Jerami Grant.

We’d have to do something with JJ tho.

If you can’t do that then try to trade down for Okongwu or even take him outright with our pick.

This team is a couple of defensive PFs away from competing. Not too bad.
"a poor addition to the board"
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#24 » by Mattya » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:14 pm

You take away any versatility Vanderbilt gives you by playing him at the three.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#25 » by Norseman79 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:07 pm

Mattya wrote:You take away any versatility Vanderbilt gives you by playing him at the three.

Care to elaborate?
Mattya
RealGM

Post#26 » by Mattya » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:01 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
Mattya wrote:You take away any versatility Vanderbilt gives you by playing him at the three.

Care to elaborate?

1. Look at his skill set. Rebounding, ability to defend bigs and on the perimeter, and some ability to push the ball and distribute probably as your third playmaker if he is any feature of an offense. His versatility should be able to contain a lot more actions on offense if he is forced to contain or switch onto faster players, while not giving up any of the rebounding you usually lose by not playing bigger. Why have him guard SFs if they are going to run pick and rolls to try and force a switch? What benefit does he bring at SF on offense?

2. On top of that, it’s going to be a lot harder to find and PF who can play defense and space the floor to compliment Vanderbilt than it would be to find a small forward who can play defense and space the floor.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Post#27 » by Klomp » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:25 pm

I wonder (cue shrink)....

Could we hypothetically trade Johnson for the GSW TPE, and then use that TPE to acquire a free agent in a sign-and-trade? I think that this probably would functionally have to look like a 3-way deal rather than two separate moves, but just a thought.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#28 » by old school 34 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:18 am

Klomp wrote:I wonder (cue shrink)....

Could we hypothetically trade Johnson for the GSW TPE, and then use that TPE to acquire a free agent in a sign-and-trade? I think that this probably would functionally have to look like a 3-way deal rather than two separate moves, but just a thought.
My understanding is ultimately if JJ went for GSW's TE, then that ultimately creates a TE for us @ JJ's annual amount (so it would be 16+ vs GSW's 17?).....& then you also lose some flexibility in that the player needs to not exceed said new TE...vs the 125% rule or whatever it is if trading JJ himself?

Now maybe, the TE may have more value in that it's immediate cap relief with the cap going down vs. JJ's expiring....but it would be hard to say?

Would LeVert fit into a JJ TE? Not that Brooklyn would be interested in that per say, but would Was in part of a 3 way deal putting Beal in Brooklyn?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,713

Post#29 » by minimus » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:23 am

Norseman79 wrote:

Care to elaborate?

While Vanderbilt can defend some SFs, he has skillset of modern C: rim runner, roll man, sets screens, can pass and hopefully hit some open 3s. But considering how raw he is, we need to start him at position where his skillset would give him maximum of opportunities. As Mattya wrote: let his versatility be an advantage over opponent. At the moment his motor, quickness and mobility are his physical attributes that might give him biggest advantage against PFs. I understand the idea of playing him at SF, where his height might be an advantage, but Vanderbilt does not have lower body strength to play in post, nor advanced foot work, nor back to the basket game, nor consistent jumper. The only position he can play right not is a smallball big man next to KAT.
minimus
RealGM

Post#30 » by minimus » Sat Sep 5, 2020 9:28 am

Well... It seems that the new contract of Crowder will be more than full MLE.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,801

Post#31 » by KGdaBom » Sat Sep 5, 2020 5:19 pm

thinktank wrote:Jerami Grant.

We’d have to do something with JJ tho.

If you can’t do that then try to trade down for Okongwu or even take him outright with our pick.

This team is a couple of defensive PFs away from competing. Not too bad.

Okongwu IMO is just what we need. We have enough 3 point shooting.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#32 » by Mattya » Sat Sep 5, 2020 5:25 pm

Been saying it for a while but Derrick Jones Jr. is my free agency target. Only 23 years old, super versatile defender, one of the best lob threats in the league, keep working with him to improve his spot ups.
minimus
RealGM

Post#33 » by minimus » Sat Sep 5, 2020 6:31 pm

The recent news that the Jazz will likely extend All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell with a five-year maximum contract takes him off the table as a Knicks trade target this offseason, per Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News.

It was expected. Small market teams cannot afford losing their stars. Glad we got DLo.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#34 » by KGdaBom » Sat Sep 5, 2020 9:25 pm

minimus wrote:
The recent news that the Jazz will likely extend All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell with a five-year maximum contract takes him off the table as a Knicks trade target this offseason, per Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News.

It was expected. Small market teams cannot afford losing their stars. Glad we got DLo.

We're not a small market. We're a mid market. I'm glad we got Russell also.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#35 » by KGdaBom » Sat Sep 5, 2020 9:25 pm

Mattya wrote:Been saying it for a while but Derrick Jones Jr. is my free agency target. Only 23 years old, super versatile defender, one of the best lob threats in the league, keep working with him to improve his spot ups.

Pretty good target.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#36 » by theGreatRC » Sun Sep 6, 2020 6:42 am

Been keeping up with Malik Beasley's IG...dude has been working his ass off on the court and on his body every single day. Dude is primed and ready for a breakout year. I think we get him for 4 years 15m per year

Thing is, Josh has been working hard too, I LOVE the mentality those two have, i'll be side if either one of them is traded.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
minimus
RealGM

Post#37 » by minimus » Sun Sep 6, 2020 12:23 pm

theGreatRC wrote:Been keeping up with Malik Beasley's IG...dude has been working his ass off on the court and on his body every single day. Dude is primed and ready for a breakout year. I think we get him for 4 years 15m per year

Thing is, Josh has been working hard too, I LOVE the mentality those two have, i'll be side if either one of them is traded.

Yea, it seems that Malik just has got it. You can never teach this winning fire, competitiveness. I think this is a very underrated skill
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#38 » by KGdaBom » Sun Sep 6, 2020 1:09 pm

theGreatRC wrote:Been keeping up with Malik Beasley's IG...dude has been working his ass off on the court and on his body every single day. Dude is primed and ready for a breakout year. I think we get him for 4 years 15m per year

Nice to hear. I'm confused about the use of the word side in your post. Did you mean something else? Perhaps sad?
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#39 » by theGreatRC » Sun Sep 6, 2020 9:32 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

Nice to hear. I'm confused about the use of the word side in your post. Did you mean something else? Perhaps sad?

Oops, yeah I meant sad lol. Don't know why it said side
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#40 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 7, 2020 12:15 am

theGreatRC wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Oops, yeah I meant sad lol. Don't know why it said side

:lol:
I'd be sad, but more angry. Unless we get better return than I'm expecting.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves