Backup C
16%

Total votes: 64

phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Re: What position(s) are the most important to address this off-season 

Post#41 » by phx#7 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:27 am

A starting PF that can play next to Ayton that also has the ability to slide to the 5 and a playmaking perimeter player I think are the biggest needs imo.

I liked what Cam Johnson did with the starting unit but the more I think about it the more I like the idea of acquiring Christian Wood(or AD in a dream world) which would provide a lot of line-up versatility and depth.

I also really like the movement the team has on offense but even in the bubble there were still times where the team struggled and relied on Booker to break down the defense and create. Having another player able to do that if something happens to Booker should be a priority and I have warmed up to guys like Hayes, Haliburton and Deni in the draft.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#42 » by Bogyo » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:26 am

Desertfox wrote:Just an idea but what about trading Oubre for some solid backups? Could the Mavs use him? I'm thinking Oubre for Kleber + Curry, you get a solid 4-5 and 1-2 backup.

I'd do that easily - Dallas wouldn't. But I'd be even willing to throw in our pick at 10 for their at 18.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,150

Post#43 » by bigfoot » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:33 pm

phx#7 wrote:A starting PF that can play next to Ayton that also has the ability to slide to the 5 and a playmaking perimeter player I think are the biggest needs imo.

I liked what Cam Johnson did with the starting unit but the more I think about it the more I like the idea of acquiring Christian Wood(or AD in a dream world) which would provide a lot of line-up versatility and depth.

I also really like the movement the team has on offense but even in the bubble there were still times where the team struggled and relied on Booker to break down the defense and create. Having another player able to do that if something happens to Booker should be a priority and I have warmed up to guys like Hayes, Haliburton and Deni in the draft.

We do have both Booker and Rubio as playmakers. Obviously Booker is really the only player who can break down the defense and then is a willing passer. Any injury to Booker would be devastating to the team. The question is who is the guy who could replace his numbers. I don't think Oubre could do it as he is not a willing passer. His assist numbers might go up a bit but I don't see him ever averaging 6-7 assists per game.

Cameron Payne for his eight games in the bubble had some pretty darn good numbers. He and Rubio could probably start together although we would have a smaller backcourt. I certainly was impressed with his ability to get to the bucket, his three-point shooting, and his defense was darn good. He is certainly a willing passer and could average 5-6 assists per game. The question we need to answer is he a flash in pan? Obviously there are some worries about this.

I do believe Saric could be an excellent option for running the offense with Rubio if Booker went down. I never realized how good he is at initiating the offense. I've gone back and looked at some of his highlights with the Sixers and he was pretty special. What I find interesting is that teams have not used these abilities to the fullest potential. In the Suns starting lineup it really hid his strengths being paired with Rubio/Booker/Ayton. Basically, he stands around on the three-point line which I don't believe is his game.

Still, that being said, we obviously need another reliable playmaker for the bench that could help out if Booker or Rubio went down. I would prefer a veteran over a rookie. I don't know what it would take to get Dragic to come back to Phoenix but I could see him covering backup duties at PG/SG and if needed, step-in at a starting role because of injury.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,763

Post#44 » by darealjuice » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:28 pm

The more I think about it, the less willing I am to bet next season on Cameron Payne being our back-up point guard next year. He played well in Orlando, but there's too much risk for him being a flash in the pan in an abnormal situation to trust him when we are trying to push for the playoffs. He's not going to shoot 50% from 3 all year, and who knows if you can count on him bringing the same intensity on defense for a full season. I don't mind bringing him back because he's cheap, but we should still be looking for a better option.
Weemsickew14
Sophomore
And1: 196

Post#45 » by Weemsickew14 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:10 pm

Would love to see Goran come back to the team is a 6th man role. I think he could play with Booker or Rubio and he is the 3rd perimeter shot creator we desperately need. The problem is the money, I would offer him a front loaded 1 year contract with a player/team option if he would take it.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#46 » by cberry78 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:26 am

What about Ty Jerome getting time at backup SG next year? He apparently (so far) doesn't have the athleticism to play PG a lot, but he has the size (6'5.5") and should have the shooting to be a 2nd string SG.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#47 » by nevetsov » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:41 am

cberry78 wrote:What about Ty Jerome getting time at backup SG next year? He apparently (so far) doesn't have the athleticism to play PG a lot, but he has the size (6'5.5") and should have the shooting to be a 2nd string SG.

Couldn't agree more.

Given we've jagged talent on rookie deals at SF (Bridges), PF (Johnson), and C (Ayton), I would be surprised if we double down at the frontcourt positions. The only remaining rookie deal is Jerome, who may be better suited to a SG in the NBA. I see us targeting a PG in the draft that can complement Jerome, by creating offense and defending. That will give us a third PG option behind Rubio and Payne that may end up being a valuable rotation piece, given the short turnaround between seasons and Rubio coming off nearly 2 straight years of bball already.

Rubio, Payne, PGOF
Booker, Carter, Jerome
Bridges, Oubre
Johnson, Saric
Ayton, Baynes

With exceptions to flesh out the roster. Hell, we could even pick up Frank and Diallo as third stringers so we have salary to match in trades.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,505

Post#48 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:40 am

cberry78 wrote:What about Ty Jerome getting time at backup SG next year? He apparently (so far) doesn't have the athleticism to play PG a lot, but he has the size (6'5.5") and should have the shooting to be a 2nd string SG.

Reminds me a lot of Okobo. Trying to turn them into playmaking PG's when they either don't have the BBIQ or the athletic abilities. I'm much more interested in turning Jerome into a shooter
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bigfoot

Post#49 » by bigfoot » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:27 am

nevetsov wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

Given we've jagged talent on rookie deals at SF (Bridges), PF (Johnson), and C (Ayton), I would be surprised if we double down at the frontcourt positions. The only remaining rookie deal is Jerome, who may be better suited to a SG in the NBA. I see us targeting a PG in the draft that can complement Jerome, by creating offense and defending. That will give us a third PG option behind Rubio and Payne that may end up being a valuable rotation piece, given the short turnaround between seasons and Rubio coming off nearly 2 straight years of bball already.

Rubio, Payne, PGOF
Booker, Carter, Jerome
Bridges, Oubre
Johnson, Saric
Ayton, Baynes

With exceptions to flesh out the roster. Hell, we could even pick up Frank and Diallo as third stringers so we have salary to match in trades.

I'm actually counting on Carter to become/remain a very, very good 3 point shooter. The guy is dedicated. Lunch pail type of player. He knows his bread and butter is defense and the ability to hit the three-ball. He was basically our best three-point shooter this season at .425 on 2.5 attempts per game. I don't think Jerome will bring the same level of defense or 3-point shooting in the near future. If Jerome sticks with the Suns it will be because he learns how to run the offense like Rubio. I think he's got a long way to go to make it as a rotation player.
cberry78
Bench Warmer

Post#50 » by cberry78 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:10 am

lilfishi22 wrote:

Reminds me a lot of Okobo. Trying to turn them into playmaking PG's when they either don't have the BBIQ or the athletic abilities. I'm much more interested in turning Jerome into a shooter

Well, Okobo is only 6'3 and 180 lbs, at that point you almost have to make him a PG. Jerome at least has the height to play SG, and he's listed at 195, so much closer to SG numbers.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,637

Post#51 » by Saberestar » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:34 am

cberry78 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

Well, Okobo is only 6'3 and 180 lbs, at that point you almost have to make him a PG. Jerome at least has the height to play SG, and he's listed at 195, so much closer to SG numbers.

Ty Jerome plays small. Some players play bigger than his size because of his mentality and some players play smaller...Ty Jerome plays like he is 6'2 or something like that.

And he is not that tall or big. He is actually 6'4.25" with just a 6'4 wingspan... so he doesn't have a truly advantage in that regard.
https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/

I wouldn't count on him as a rotation player for next season. He needs to earn it. That's why I think it's a MUST to add another good PG/SG who could play minutes every single night.
cberry78
Bench Warmer

Post#52 » by cberry78 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:01 am

Saberestar wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Reminds me a lot of Okobo. Trying to turn them into playmaking PG's when they either don't have the BBIQ or the athletic abilities. I'm much more interested in turning Jerome into a shooter

Ty Jerome plays small. Some players play bigger than his size because of his mentality and some players play smaller...Ty Jerome plays like he is 6'2 or something like that.

And he is not that tall or big. He is actually 6'4.25" with just a 6'4 wingspan... so he doesn't have a truly advantage in that regard.
https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/

I wouldn't count on him as a rotation player for next season. He needs to earn it. That's why I think it's a MUST to add another good PG/SG who could play minutes every single night.

I'm not counting on him being a rotation player next year, or ever for that matter, I just REALLY don't want to see the Suns completely blow the development of another young player by forcing them into a role they can't handle. Official NBA measurements (NBA.com) has Ty listed at 6'5", and I've read the same number as you posted for his wingspan.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#53 » by Bogyo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:49 am

Ty Jerome is not an NBA player. Never was, never will be.
We are wasting electricity talking about him in this regard. Save the planet, and some of my time - please stop.

(If he comes over to Europe, he can have a nice career though, I'll root for him, he seems to be a good guy.)
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,505

Post#54 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:55 pm

cberry78 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

I know that's what they try to make him but there are plenty guys who have been good undersized scoring guards (not the typical 6'6 SG). Guys like Lou Williams is very much undersized at the SG spot so he's become a really good scoring PG. That's what I wanted Okobo to be. Some of his best games was when he looked to score and make smart passes rather than trying to create plays for the team. Look at Blazers with Dame and CJ, neither guys are taller than 6'3 - 6'4. My point is that height alone isn't the only determination for position in today's NBA. It's all about maximising what a player is good at and limiting what they aren't good at.

I think Okobo has a future as a scoring PG and I believe if Jerome is to make it in the NBA, he'll have to be a shooter like a JJ Reddick or Shamet.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,405

Post#55 » by Barkley6 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:27 am

I think you go PF in the draft, and backup guard in FA.

Gotta go for a big in the draft because Ayton is the only big guaranteed to return. Diallo is likely waived, option declined on Kaminsky, Baynes probably gets bigger money elsewhere and who knows with Dario, did his bubble play price him out of the Suns comfort zone?

I don't want to go into FA worrying about needing to bring in a minimum of two big men, so I'd rather take care of that in the draft. We've seen that Bridges, Oubre, and Cam will all get time at the 4, so there wouldn't be too much pressure for a rookie to make big waves from the jump. Just come in and be a solid rotation player.

In terms of guards, I think you gotta look at Dragic at the top choice. He can score, is a solid floor leader and wont get burned on the defensive side. The thing I prize most in his game is that he's way more consistent than we can expect Carter or Payne to be. He'll get it done night in and night out.

Then we'd be filling in the back end of the roster with some projects or bodies.

Rotation would look like:
Rubio-Payne-Carter
Booker-Dragic
Mikal-Oubre
Cam-Draft Pick
Ayton-Saric

I'd be thrilled with that group. The bench is easily the best in the league.
bigfoot

Post#56 » by bigfoot » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:12 am

Barkley6 wrote:I think you go PF in the draft, and backup guard in FA.

Gotta go for a big in the draft because Ayton is the only big guaranteed to return. Diallo is likely waived, option declined on Kaminsky, Baynes probably gets bigger money elsewhere and who knows with Dario, did his bubble play price him out of the Suns comfort zone?

I don't want to go into FA worrying about needing to bring in a minimum of two big men, so I'd rather take care of that in the draft. We've seen that Bridges, Oubre, and Cam will all get time at the 4, so there wouldn't be too much pressure for a rookie to make big waves from the jump. Just come in and be a solid rotation player.

In terms of guards, I think you gotta look at Dragic at the top choice. He can score, is a solid floor leader and wont get burned on the defensive side. The thing I prize most in his game is that he's way more consistent than we can expect Carter or Payne to be. He'll get it done night in and night out.

Then we'd be filling in the back end of the roster with some projects or bodies.

Rubio-Payne-Carter
Booker-Dragic
Mikal-Oubre
Cam-Draft Pick
Ayton-Saric

I would love to have Dragic back on the Suns. Not sure if he would take the MLE for a borderline playoff team like the Suns. I figure he would want to play for a chip.
cberry78
Bench Warmer

Post#57 » by cberry78 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:19 am

bigfoot wrote:

Rubio-Payne-Carter
Booker-Dragic
Mikal-Oubre
Cam-Draft Pick
Ayton-Saric

I would love to have Dragic back on the Suns. Not sure if he would take the MLE for a borderline playoff team like the Suns. I figure he would want to play for a chip.

This is why he would choose the Suns. 8-)
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#58 » by suns12345 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:25 am

Ideal offseason, Christian wood as backup 4/5, Kennard as bench scorer.

Ideally without losing oubre would move him if needed.
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,405

Post#59 » by Barkley6 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:21 pm

bigfoot wrote:

Rubio-Payne-Carter
Booker-Dragic
Mikal-Oubre
Cam-Draft Pick
Ayton-Saric

Depending on how things shake out, we could end up with some usable cap space. If we re-signed Saric for around 10million, and Carter for around 3-4 million, picked up Payne's option and renounced everyone else, we'd be at approximately 100 Million in guaranteed salary. That gives us 9 million (assuming the cap stays the same and doesnt fall) to spend, which is slightly larger than the MLE.

The only other team who even sniffed the playoffs that could offer more than the MLE is the Heat, my guess is that Miami is looking to spend money on younger players so they can build a core around Jimmy Butler, not hamstring themselves by using half their cap space, or the MLE, to sign a 34 year old vet. I see Montrezl Harrell as their top target, and he'll easily command a large portion of the projected 20 million they have available.

So, if we are the closest team to competing and offering the most money (even by just a little bit), I think that's a reasonable proposal for Dragic. Not sure how he'd feel about Round 3 with Phoenix, but I have confidence Monty Williams would be able to sell him on our philosophy.

I genuinely believe that if we are able to bring him in as our 6th man, not only would he be the leading candidate for 6MoTY, but would elevate our bench to such a high level that the 5 or 6 seed in the West and winning 50 games wouldn't be unthinkable for next season. Maybe that's being too optimistic, but our 82 game projected W/L for 2019-20 was 39-43, factor in more growth by our young players, a healthy roster (hopefully!) all season and a valuable free agent signing? Not unthinkable to improve our record by 11 games.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,297

Post#60 » by sunskerr » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:39 pm

If Montrezl wants to start he probably won’t sign with the Heat. He is a center now (and really good at defense there to boot) and they already have Bam.

As for us in the draft we should go BPA every pick regardless of position.

Return to Phoenix Suns