ImageImage

John Collins Edited: (Hawks Seek Lottery Pick For Collins)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Re: John Collins 

Post#201 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:55 pm

Read on Twitter

Jackie MacMullan wrote:"Sure, I'm pissed off we're not in the bubble," John Collins admits. "I love basketball. But I had a big part in why our team wasn't in the bubble.

"I'm not going to keep holding that against myself. It doesn't do us any good."

The NBA is brimming with intriguing young talent such as John Collins, but it was Trae Young who stole most of the Atlanta highlights with his exceptional long-distance range. Meanwhile, Collins quietly averaged 21.6 points and 10.1 boards for the season. A career .571 field goal percentage shooter, Collins shot 58.3% from the floor, 40.1% from the 3-point line and 80% from the free throw line.

"My game is efficiency," Collins says. "Right when everything stopped, I felt like I was just catching my midseason groove. I had never been able to hit my stride like that previously. In my rookie year, Coach [Mike Budenholzer] was in charge, and he had friction with the front office and they ended up splitting. And I didn't play as much as I hoped. My second year, I was injured. And then this year, my third, I had the suspension."

Collins says, he and Young talk all the time about how they can elevate Atlanta into a playoff contender.

"If we want to take the next step -- me and Trae -- we have to tighten up our defense," Collins says. "We need some sort of chemistry or spark. Something has to change on that end of the floor. We have an excellent young core, but we could probably use a few older vets that can give us that little push mentally.

"We need to be locked in more, be in our stance consistently, be smarter, stronger. And that takes me back to the weight room."

Collins says he'll continue to watch some of the NBA bubble playoffs but that he is done beating himself up and playing the "what if" game. He is looking forward, not back.

"This year, we weren't ready," he says. "Next year, we will be."
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#202 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:12 pm

Oh, my...

Every NBA Team's Dream Offseason Trade Target

Boston Celtics: PF John Collins

If Atlanta is hesitant to give Collins a big contract extension, the Celtics should make an offer. Power forward remains an area of need for the Celtics as Jayson Tatum's future is on the wing.

If the Celtics want to keep their spacing and add a lob target for their talented collection of guards, John Collins would be an ideal fit.

The 22-year-old forward shot a career-high 40.1 percent from three this season, scoring 21.6 points while pulling down 10.1 rebounds per game. He's still on his rookie contract, so the Celtics wouldn't be forced to flip one of their big deals for him and could instead build a package based around draft picks and young players.

Collins isn't a particularly good defender, so keeping starting center Daniel Theis to do the dirty work is a must. When Boston needs some offense, however, going small with Collins at the 5 and shooters all around would certainly generate some points in a hurry.
Bleacher Report
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Post#203 » by jayu70 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:43 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Oh, my...

Every NBA Team's Dream Offseason Trade Target

Boston Celtics: PF John Collins

If Atlanta is hesitant to give Collins a big contract extension, the Celtics should make an offer. Power forward remains an area of need for the Celtics as Jayson Tatum's future is on the wing.

If the Celtics want to keep their spacing and add a lob target for their talented collection of guards, John Collins would be an ideal fit.

The 22-year-old forward shot a career-high 40.1 percent from three this season, scoring 21.6 points while pulling down 10.1 rebounds per game. He's still on his rookie contract, so the Celtics wouldn't be forced to flip one of their big deals for him and could instead build a package based around draft picks and young players.

Collins isn't a particularly good defender, so keeping starting center Daniel Theis to do the dirty work is a must. When Boston needs some offense, however, going small with Collins at the 5 and shooters all around would certainly generate some points in a hurry.
Bleacher Report

Not a chance.
The only young players they have we'd be interested in are Brown and Tatum and they're not on the block. #14 and #26 does nothing for me.
They are right- it's a DREAM! Wake me up please.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#204 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Sep 1, 2020 2:24 pm

Toughest Decision Every NBA Team Must Make This Offseason

Atlanta Hawks: John Collins' Future

Between their words and actions, the Hawks have talked out of both sides of their mouth when it comes to John Collins' future.

They rebuffed inquiries about him at the trade deadline, and when asked if Collins was a priority for the franchise, general manager Travis Schlenk replied, "Yeah, John is one of our best players," per The Athletic's Chris Kirschner. At the same time, Kirschner reported a "hesitation" on Atlanta's end about giving Collins "significant money," which is an issue when the bouncy big man sees himself as a max-caliber talent.

Plus, Atlanta's deadline deal for Clint Capela creates an awkward fit for Collins. While he expanded his offensive range this season (1.4 triples per game at a 40.1 percent clip), he's still at his best rolling to the rim for explosive aerial finishes. That's exactly where Capela does his best offensive work. Neither is the most competent defender in space, either, so the concerns of how they can coexist reach both ends of the floor.

All of this creates a tricky situation with Collins becoming extension-eligible this offseason. Is Atlanta ready to put a max (or near-max) offer on the table right now? Is it best to punt this decision to next offseason when he hits restricted free agency? Or might the Hawks consider shopping the 22-year-old for a clearer roster fit? He could enter next season with building-block status in Atlanta or be wearing a different jersey elsewhere, and neither outcome would be shocking.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#205 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 2, 2020 2:08 pm

Read on Twitter

John Collins wrote: The trade talks I’m always aware that could be an option just because of me being an NBA player. I get it. I wasn’t too hung up over that. Whenever I’m in trade talks, that’s a good thing. That means other teams are seeing my value, want me, and so I try to take it as a good thing.
saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Post#206 » by saloonyk8 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 8:42 pm

If we wait until 2021 to match or give him a max deal, does that impact cap space in anyway? Like could we re-sign Collins AND two max FA? I think you'd have to release cap hold for Collins to sign TWO FA
Commit to the process
jayu70
RealGM

Post#207 » by jayu70 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 9:15 pm

saloonyk8 wrote:If we wait until 2021 to match or give him a max deal, does that impact cap space in anyway? Like could we re-sign Collins AND two max FA? I think you'd have to release cap hold for Collins to sign TWO FA
If we resign him to his extention this offseason at $20 million per or greater than counts against the cap next season. If we hold on resigning, his caphold for next season is $12 million, a difference of $8 million you use to calculate your available capspace. Dedmon's salary for next season is only guaranteed for $1 million so he can be released, that's additional $12 million. So by waiting to extend JC and releasing Dedmon that's already $20 million in capspace. Plus, what ever we have from not signing long term deals this offseason.
It depends also if you are signing a 25%/30%/35% max player based on their years of service.
saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Post#208 » by saloonyk8 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 1:33 am

jayu70 wrote:
saloonyk8 wrote:If we wait until 2021 to match or give him a max deal, does that impact cap space in anyway? Like could we re-sign Collins AND two max FA? I think you'd have to release cap hold for Collins to sign TWO FA
If we resign him to his extention this offseason at $20 million per or greater than counts against the cap next season. If we hold on resigning, his caphold for next season is $12 million, a difference of $8 million you use to calculate your available capspace. Dedmon's salary for next season is only guaranteed for $1 million so he can be released, that's additional $12 million. So by waiting to extend JC and releasing Dedmon that's already $20 million in capspace. Plus, what ever we have from not signing long term deals this offseason.
It depends also if you are signing a 25%/30%/35% max player based on their years of service.

So there's at least $8M in cap space extra for waiting on Collins. I guess he could play himself into a bigger contract as well. He probably won't settle for less than max now or then
Commit to the process
jayu70
RealGM

Post#209 » by jayu70 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:01 am

saloonyk8 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

So there's at least $8M in cap space extra for waiting on Collins. I guess he could play himself into a bigger contract as well. He probably won't settle for less than max now or then

I don't think he gets a max contract. His max is 25% of the cap, $27 mil if the cap remains at $109 (Covid related)....I said previously I see him getting somewhere inbetween what Sabonis got and what Jalen Brown got, $18 - $23 mil...so say 20% of the cap which would be $21 mil-ish.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#210 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:04 pm

21M seems like a good number. I want to keep JC and I want him to invest in the Hawks
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#211 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:33 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#212 » by jayu70 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
jayu70
RealGM

Post#213 » by jayu70 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:06 pm

JohnJams!
Read on Twitter

The last clip - from the perimeter for the dunk :nod:
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#214 » by Radioblacktive1 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:40 pm

My hope is for JC to develop Blake's current skillset (+ better defense) way faster than he did and without the injuries. If John can get wicked off the dribble like Blake then I would be ecstatic.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#215 » by kg01 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:36 pm

All these Collins trade suggestions are plain comical. It's like "John Collins is trash, he puts up empty stats, cain't do this, cain't do that .... but I'd trade for him."

:lol:
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#216 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:37 am

Read on Twitter
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#217 » by Radioblacktive1 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:22 pm

kg01 wrote:All these Collins trade suggestions are plain comical. It's like "John Collins is trash, he puts up empty stats, cain't do this, cain't do that .... but I'd trade for him."

Every trade is framed like the other team is doing us a favor by taking him off our hands and giving us garbage in return so we don’t have to pay him. When we understandably decline, they start trashing him. The equivalent of getting rejected by a girl and then calling her ugly afterwards.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#218 » by kg01 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:28 pm

Radioblacktive1 wrote:
kg01 wrote:All these Collins trade suggestions are plain comical. It's like "John Collins is trash, he puts up empty stats, cain't do this, cain't do that .... but I'd trade for him."

Every trade is framed like the other team is doing us a favor by taking him off our hands and giving us garbage in return so we don’t have to pay him. When we understandably decline, they start trashing him. The equivalent of getting rejected by a girl and then calling her ugly afterwards.

Eggggsactly.
king01 :king:
jayu70
RealGM

Post#219 » by jayu70 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Adding a competency on the short roll for Collins could make the Hawks that much better offensively because defenders will have to close out on him as he rolls to the rim. That likely would leave someone like Kevin Huerter or another shooter in the corner alone.

“Eventually that pass he makes after the pick-and-roll from Trae to the corner to Kevin is going to be something that he isn’t even thinking about anymore,” assistant general manager Landry Fields said. “It’ll be an unconscious confidence that he’d have achieved. That’s what we’re fighting for, and I think what he’s fighting for.”John Collins wants to be known as a do-it-all big man in the NBA. His growth during his first three seasons suggests that he can get to the level he aspires to reach. He became a 40-percent 3-point shooter this past season in just his second year as a perimeter shooter during his entire basketball career....Collins isn’t close to being a finished product, but the Hawks have to be pleased with the work he has put in to become one of the best young power forwards in the league. After struggling for most of his second season as a rim protector, Collins finished 16th in block percentage this year.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2020/10/18151942/Collins-passing-.mp4?_=1

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#220 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:30 pm

JC is such a good kid. He might be the best ambassador for the city and the franchise we've ever drafted.

Return to Atlanta Hawks