Around the NBA, Season 2019-2020

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2019-2020 

Post#221 » by KqWIN » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:16 pm

sipclip wrote:Knicks making the slow play on Mitchell. I don't like the way this shaping up.

Well, when that trade demand comes I hope it's a good draft.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#222 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:46 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

Damn, we are losing coaching talent.

Knicks going after Don.

That was my first thought when I saw this announcement.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#223 » by stitches » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:29 pm

KqWIN wrote:
sipclip wrote:Knicks making the slow play on Mitchell. I don't like the way this shaping up.

Well, when that trade demand comes I hope it's a good draft.

2022 - Emoni Bates, here we come!
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#224 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:54 pm

I don't begrudge players for wanting to play for other teams (not that DM said so as far as I know) but at least from a competitive perspective, I don't see why any player would want to go to the Knicks. More monetization opportunities, sure. A better cultural \lifestyle fit, maybe that too. But man, that place wrecks the career of almost any player that goes there. DM will win more games here than he will with the Knicks. As much as I bitch about the Jazz's FO and management, they are infinitely more competent than the Knicks.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM

Post#225 » by stitches » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:48 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I don't begrudge players for wanting to play for other teams (not that DM said so as far as I know) but at least from a competitive perspective, I don't see why any player would want to go to the Knicks. More monetization opportunities, sure. A better cultural \lifestyle fit, maybe that too. But man, that place wrecks the career of almost any player that goes there. DM will win more games here than he will with the Knicks. As much as I bitch about the Jazz's FO and management, they are infinitely more competent than the Knicks.

The Knicks have a new management that seems to be very competent and they've been making good hires from other successful franchises and they've been going for lesser known but respected names(like Johnnie Bryant) and supposedly Dolan has been staying out of Leon Rose and co's way... for now.

Now the question is - for how long will Dolan be able to stay out of the new management's way? But don't forget that BKN was looked at as one of the worst run teams in the league just 2 years ago and they managed to turn that into a promising young team that was able to attract 2 of the biggest FAs in the league in KD and Kyrie. Teams can turn around relatively quickly with good management and a few lucky rolls of the dice. And if they start looking like a competently run franchise, players like DM would definitely have to at least consider them as options. And in the case with DM he has the hometown factor play in his decision too.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 977

Post#226 » by red4hf » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:09 pm

Trey Burke with a great game for the Mavs as they tie their series......
stitches
RealGM

Post#227 » by stitches » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:04 am

Best defense in the history of the NBA got swept by Boston. :D

Also... Luka is filthy. How do you miss on THAT PLAYER? Ayton? Bagley? Even Trae? :noway:
Denizfeital
Starter
And1: 198

Post#228 » by Denizfeital » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:17 pm

stitches wrote:... Luka is filthy. How do you miss on THAT PLAYER? Ayton? Bagley? Even Trae? :noway:

There is not excuse. They should fire all the GMs who passed on him.

And seriously, it is not like he turned himself into a star overnight. He had it written all over his body.

I know nothing, but at the time, I knew that those GMs were being really dumb not taking him.

Regards,
red4hf

Post#229 » by red4hf » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:11 pm

Wasn't he the MVP of the Euroleague at 19? I mean that's gotta mean something.......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#230 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:24 pm

The Pacers just fired McMillan. I think he's done a terrific job with that team, they are very well coached. I think they made a mistake by firing him. He's a good coach.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
red4hf

Re: Round 1, Game 6: Utah Jazz vs. Denver Nuggets 

Post#231 » by red4hf » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:17 pm

over/under on the game being "boycotted"?
red4hf

Post#232 » by red4hf » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:18 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:The Pacers just fired McMillan. I think he's done a terrific job with that team, they are very well coached. I think they made a mistake by firing him. He's a good coach.

Didn't they just extend his contract? What kind of management is that?
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#233 » by KqWIN » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:57 pm

Pretty sure the season is over. The players are not going to allow themselves to be a distraction for issues they deeply care about. Instead, they’re doing everything in their power to make sure that gets heard.
red4hf

Post#234 » by red4hf » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:05 pm

KqWIN wrote:Pretty sure the season is over. The players are not going to allow themselves to be a distraction for issues they deeply care about. Instead, they’re doing everything in their power to make sure that gets heard.

No, the games are going to be rescheduled....... They are not going to give up millions of dollars......
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#235 » by KqWIN » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:12 pm

red4hf wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Pretty sure the season is over. The players are not going to allow themselves to be a distraction for issues they deeply care about. Instead, they’re doing everything in their power to make sure that gets heard.

No, the games are going to be rescheduled....... They are not going to give up millions of dollars......

Maybe, maybe not. We’ll see what the response is. Money is not the only thing at stake here. Like I said, these are issues they deeply care about. The season is in jeopardy.

Personally I believe the players have the largest platform while they’re playing. If they decided against the restart, for example, they wouldn’t be able to send a strong message like they are now. I hope they keep playing for this reason...but they’re going to handle it however they decide to, because they can.
red4hf

Post#236 » by red4hf » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:19 pm

KqWIN wrote:
red4hf wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. We’ll see what the response is. Money is not the only thing at stake here. Like I said, these are issues they deeply care about. The season is in jeopardy.

Personally I believe the players have the largest platform while they’re playing. If they decided against the restart, for example, they wouldn’t be able to send a strong message like they are now. I hope they keep playing for this reason...but they’re going to handle it however they decide to, because they can.

People don't care about what athletes say about politics....... Doesn't mean the players don't have a right to express their opinions, they certainly do...... But people don't care....... They never have, and especially now, when so many are out of work and suffering..... They don't care what a millionaire has to say....... About anything...... The players are in for a rude awakening...... If they decide to cancel the season, no one will care and it will make no difference.......
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#237 » by KqWIN » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:41 pm

red4hf wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
red4hf wrote:

People don't care about what athletes say about politics....... Doesn't mean the players don't have a right to express their opinions, they certainly do...... But people don't care....... They never have, and especially now, when so many are out of work and suffering..... They don't care what a millionaire has to say....... About anything...... The players are in for a rude awakening...... If they decide to cancel the season, no one will care and it will make no difference.......

The players want their own message out there. If you don't think that NBA players are able to spread influence, you must not understand how the NBA works. People don't give a damn about Rudy Gobert has to say about Vivint but Vivint pays millions of dollars to the Jazz to be a corporate sponsor. The NBA has and always will operate on what the NBA and it's players are advertising. Patch on the jersey, logo on the floor, commercial during the break, corny commercial featuring players with bad acting...That all has value. Given that this is a message that the players actually care about and not a home security system, I definitely think they are in a position to make a difference.
red4hf

Post#238 » by red4hf » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:47 pm

KqWIN wrote:
red4hf wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

The players want their own message out there. If you don't think that NBA players are able to spread influence, you must not understand how the NBA works. People don't give a damn about Rudy Gobert has to say about Vivint but Vivint pays millions of dollars to the Jazz to be a corporate sponsor. The NBA has and always will operate on what the NBA and it's players are advertising. Patch on the jersey, logo on the floor, commercial during the break, corny commercial featuring players with bad acting...That all has value. Given that this is a message that the players actually care about and not a home security system, I definitely think they are in a position to make a difference.

I guess we can agree to disagree.......
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#239 » by Catchall » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:29 am

I don't see how the players can focus on tomorrow's game with everything happening inside and outside the bubble.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#240 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:52 am

The only reason people care about what NBA players (or any athlete, really) says about anything is because they play. They gain their fame by playing and being good at what they do. If they didn't play basketball, no one would care about what they have to say anyway. Deciding to not play only hurts their cause, imho. It's not going to change anything regarding the subject they are protesting about. All it will do is divert the talk from the cause they are supporting to talk about them boycotting the season, and will further alienate many of the fans who still remained (NBA rating are down big) and who disagree with their opinions and only want to watch some basketball.

They have a cause they care about and that's fine. Talk about it before and after the game to raise awareness. Cancelling games just makes them irrelevant.

Return to Utah Jazz