ImageImageImage

NBA 2020 Playoffs | R1 G3 | Mavs vs Clippers, Friday 9PM ET

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Re: NBA 2020 Playoffs | R1 G3 | Mavs vs Clippers, Friday 9PM ET 

Post#21 » by dirkforpres » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:32 am

EXTREMELY idiotic decision from the training staff and from the coaches putting Luka out there after the injury. He is way too important to risk a career altering injury for a round 1 game in his sophomore season. I hope they keep him out the rest of the playoffs. I am stunned they would think that’s ok
FIRE JASON KIDD
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#22 » by dirkforpres » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:41 am

Ship Maxi out in the off-season. Dude sucks
FIRE JASON KIDD
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#23 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:45 am

Hey Mavs fans, just chiming in to express how much I like watching you guys play. Really appreciate how well Carlyle has made your pieces fit. Hardaway is in the best situation he could possibly find as the 3rd scorer. Curry and Burke are utilized perfectly off the bench.

But DFS is not good enough to be a starter. You won't be a contender until you upgrade one of your starting forward spots with a legitimately dangerous offensive player. Kleber is useful so it seems like SF is the spot that most needs upgrading.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#24 » by aggerrard » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:45 am

Maxi have struggled this series. 1 for 12 or something on 3's now - all open looks prob.
aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#25 » by aggerrard » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:50 am

Let's hope Luka is available for the next game. I highly doubt it though.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 923

Post#26 » by Captain_Obvious » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:53 am

KP only 18 shots
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#27 » by frothbrain » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:55 am

Sign Fred Van Vleet and make the finals next season when it actually matters.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#28 » by fuller4379 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:08 am

KP's huge game was wasted. Paul George can't the broad side of a barn this series.
OpiumDose
Sophomore
And1: 228

Post#29 » by OpiumDose » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:00 am

Still feels like KP is not getting enough shots. He has been shooting really well. THJ on the other hand feels like has a way too green of a light to shoot anything and everything.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#30 » by arkuo » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:55 am

They need to run more offense through KP. That's a max contract player they need to maximize.
nbahd
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#31 » by nbahd » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:48 am

Hardaway Jr. with the decisive drive and tough finish
https://streamable.com/8keheb
NBA Full Game Replay - https://nbahd.com :D
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#32 » by Darren » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:15 am

frothbrain wrote:Sign Fred Van Vleet and make the finals next season when it actually matters.

I second that. The Mavs need penetrator and shooter who's quick. FVV is simply the perfect fit. Unfortunately, the Mavs is over the cap if Hardaway opts in this offseason.

From Game 3, it's quite clear: when Doncic is the only penetrator and playmaking option on the floor. It hurts against great defensive team. I think the Mavs target Kemba last offseason is correct. But ending up with Wright and giving away pick is problematic. Signing Powell to extension even if they know Powell has lost a step is also a source of problem.

For good defensive players, it's available within the draft range. But I'm not sure the Mavs could get one that can shoot lightout. It expects the Mavs to get 2 if they keep the picks.
Darren
RealGM

Post#33 » by Darren » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:17 am

With Doncic bothers by injury, it's time to the coach to try something new. Putting Maxi on Kawhi looks bad. Maybe trying of MKG or Barea instead.
Darren
RealGM

Post#34 » by Darren » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:22 am

Guarding Kawhi with 2 players normally end up with an open 3 from the corner. That's why the Clippers' role players are so effective. If DFS doesn't work out, let's try MKG instead and put Hardaway on George. let Barea to take Maxi's starting job. So you have 2 PG on the floor at the same time. MKG should have longer arm, size and athleticism to fill the role. Whoever guarding Kawhi will lose the leg power to shoot anyway. Why not giving MKG a try? No more unnecessary double team and unnecessary wide-open 3s. let's put Reaves into rotation as well. No more Wright.

C - KP / Boban
PF - MKG / Maxi
SF - Doncic / Reaves / Jackson
SG - TH // Curry / Wright
PG - Barea / Burke / Cleveland

let's call some plays for Boban as well. When help defenders come to the playmakers, delivery the ball to unattended Boban.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#35 » by Pinkyring » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:10 pm

Some mavs fans dont like this but we need to shop maxi and dfs, they're nice backups but we need starters and the probably have the higher value of guys outside ouka and kp obviously
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#36 » by Teffer10 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:07 pm

Pinkyring wrote:Some mavs fans dont like this but we need to shop maxi and dfs, they're nice backups but we need starters and the probably have the higher value of guys outside ouka and kp obviously

I doubt if there are any Mavs fans that wouldn't want the Mavs to shop Maxi and DFS if there is a legit 3rd option player available.
This team is loaded with role players and everyone outside of Luka and KP should be shopped. I'd even say KP would be available for a young superstar like Giannis or AD. If a guy like Beal becomes remotely realistic for us there is no doubt Maxi and DFS would be available.

I've mentioned before that I'd love to see the Mavs move up in the draft using our two picks and Brunson to draft Vassell who is basically the same player as DFS but a much higher ceiling imo. I'm not down on DFS as much as you but I think he is one of our best trade pieces to help improve our SL because he is young and has good value with that contract. Brunson is another nice trade piece and I think Burke makes him expendable for a trade.

I really like Josh Richardson and if there is any way we could draft Vassell and trade for Richardson using DFS as our main piece I would be happy with our off-season. My guess is that the Mavs will push hard for Jrue Holiday who is a good fit and should be achievable. DFS and/or Maxi would most likely have to be part of that deal.

People need to realize that role players are always available by other means and that securing a strong core will attract good veteran FAs to fill those roles. Mavs should definitely shop DFS, Maxi, Brunson, Wright and our picks to improve the starting/closing core.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#37 » by Pinkyring » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Some mavs fans dont like this but we need to shop maxi and dfs, they're nice backups but we need starters and the probably have the higher value of guys outside ouka and kp obviously

I doubt if there are any Mavs fans that wouldn't want the Mavs to shop Maxi and DFS if there is a legit 3rd option player available.
This team is loaded with role players and everyone outside of Luka and KP should be shopped. I'd even say KP would be available for a young superstar like Giannis or AD. If a guy like Beal becomes remotely realistic for us there is no doubt Maxi and DFS would be available.

I've mentioned before that I'd love to see the Mavs move up in the draft using our two picks and Brunson to draft Vassell who is basically the same player as DFS but a much higher ceiling imo. I'm not down on DFS as much as you but I think he is one of our best trade pieces to help improve our SL because he is young and has good value with that contract. Brunson is another nice trade piece and I think Burke makes him expendable for a trade.

I really like Josh Richardson and if there is any way we could draft Vassell and trade for Richardson using DFS as our main piece I would be happy with our off-season.

People need to realize that role players are always available by other means and that securing a strong core will attract good veteran FAs to fill those roles. Mavs should definitely shop DFS, Maxi, Brunson, Wright and our picks to improve the starting/closing core.

Thats the thing the overinflated value, those guys combined aren't worth a third option. Id trade maxi first becsuse his contract is higher but im down to move both
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#38 » by Teffer10 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:22 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

I really like Josh Richardson and if there is any way we could draft Vassell and trade for Richardson using DFS as our main piece I would be happy with our off-season.

Thats the thing the overinflated value, those guys combined aren't worth a third option. Id trade maxi first becsuse his contract is higher but im down to move both

Are you suggesting to trade them to create cap space? I'm not down for that.
Maxi and DFS are nice backup caliber players and serve a nice role. However, putting them up against superstars are exposing their limits so I definitely agree to use them to improve.
I don't see them as individual trade pieces to improve. They would definitely have to be packaged with other players or draft picks.
I don't think they are necessarily overvalued. DFS at 4m is a bargain for any team and that provides nice trade value for us.

Teams that have established cores that need a role player would find great value in a player like DFS and even Maxi to some degree. The problem for us is that we are still building a core but are trying to fill that void with role players like DFS and Maxi. That is where I definitely agree with you and feel they should be shopped.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#39 » by Pinkyring » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:33 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

Maxi and DFS are nice backup caliber players and serve a nice role. However, putting them up against superstars are exposing their limits so I definitely agree to use them to improve.
I don't see them as individual trade pieces to improve. They would definitely have to be packaged with other players or draft picks.
I don't think they are necessarily overvalued. DFS at 4m is a bargain for any team and that provides nice trade value for us.

Teams that have established cores that need a role player would find great value in a player like DFS and even Maxi to some degree. The problem for us is that we are still building a core but are trying to fill that void with role players like DFS and Maxi. That is where I definitely agree with you and feel they should be shopped.

Nop3 dont care about cap room the bigger salary just allows for a bigger pool of players, we'd have to add to it obviously to upgrade but yes we need to consolidate some of these role players
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#40 » by Teffer10 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:56 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Thats the thing the overinflated value, those guys combined aren't worth a third option. Id trade maxi first becsuse his contract is higher but im down to move both

Nop3 dont care about cap room the bigger salary just allows for a bigger pool of players, we'd have to add to it obviously to upgrade but yes we need to consolidate some of these role players

In your opinion, what does Maxi/DFS/#18/#31 yield us in a package deal?
Who would be a realistic target?

Return to Dallas Mavericks