ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA 2020 Lottery Results - We Got #2 Overall

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

What to do with our 2020 #2 Overall Draft Pick?

Draft Anthony Edwards
7%
Draft James Wiseman
61%
Draft Someone Else
4%
Trade Down
14%
Trade for proven/quality talent
14%

Total votes: 57

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Re: NBA 2020 Lottery Results - We Got #2 Overall 

Post#161 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:52 am

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:ILOVEIT and ShadDEeey are big advocates for Beal from the posts I'm seeing. :lol:

I like the impact a player like Beal gives you. He would not be my first choice. But imagine Curry, Beal, Klay, Green...Who is going to stop that team?

On the other hand...who is Beal going to stop lol.

At this point I wouldn't trade Wiggins and the 2nd pick for him. I think Wiggins is a better fit and Beal isn't THAT much better of a scorer to overcome Wiggins defense and SF fit.

BTW...most of my posts for Beal were before we got the second pick ;)
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#162 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:55 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
floppymoose wrote:Happy for Minny to get #1. Good for them and for GSW, as they will invest in playing that player when the losses mount and that will lead to a good pick for GS.

With Athony Edwards throwing up high volume bricks while, and Towns and Russell wanting their shots the rest of the team gets frozen out and sulks on defense because Towns and Russel won't play defense. Russell is a better scorer than he is acpoint guard.

This might work too well. TWolves may get a protected top 3 pick.

If you are down on acquiring Beal, ya can't be high on Anthony Edwards. Beal will be twice the player for at least 2 more years....
I'd prefer at two way gifted SF or Center or even Obi Topin in terms of fit for this team.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
FloydWarrior
Junior
And1: 182

Post#163 » by FloydWarrior » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:44 am

Unless some big fish move comes along, just keep the pick.

Lebron, your movie ain't gonna have a happy ending.

superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 414

Post#164 » by superunknown » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:27 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:
superunknown wrote:
TJ warren so far hasn't proved to be better than wiggins and Turner is a good C but he's not that edge.
I understand the wiseman brings along question marks and legit doubts (like any other player in this draft class and rookies in general), but he has the potential to develop in a player like turner if not better in few years. moreover, in that proposed trade, dubs also throw in paschall who is a decent contributor form the bench (who can still improve) in a roster which lacks depth.
so, basically, it's a 3 for 2 where those 2 are not a big upgrade and the bench gets further depleted.

????

I'm a Wiggins optimist, but this take is way off. Warren is a really good player. He's way way better than Wiggins.

bubble basketball is not real basketball.
I don't remember all this hype around TJ Warren before he "exploded" in the bubble.
I'm not saying he's not a good player, just I don't see all this upgrade over wiggins.
In any case, I'd like to see TJ Warren put on those numbers in normal conditions before to conclude he's way better than wiggins.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#165 » by lars_rosenberg » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:14 pm

superunknown wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
superunknown wrote:
TJ warren so far hasn't proved to be better than wiggins and Turner is a good C but he's not that edge.
I understand the wiseman brings along question marks and legit doubts (like any other player in this draft class and rookies in general), but he has the potential to develop in a player like turner if not better in few years. moreover, in that proposed trade, dubs also throw in paschall who is a decent contributor form the bench (who can still improve) in a roster which lacks depth.
so, basically, it's a 3 for 2 where those 2 are not a big upgrade and the bench gets further depleted.

????

I'm a Wiggins optimist, but this take is way off. Warren is a really good player. He's way way better than Wiggins.

bubble basketball is not real basketball.
I don't remember all this hype around TJ Warren before he "exploded" in the bubble.
I'm not saying he's not a good player, just I don't see all this upgrade over wiggins.
In any case, I'd like to see TJ Warren put on those numbers in normal conditions before to conclude he's way better than wiggins.

The difference is that Warren is making 12 millions next season, Wiggins 29.
If Wiggins had TJ's contract it would be a great fit, but he doesn't so he's negative value.

I've spent the last few hours watching scouting reports and I think Wiseman and Avdija are the best players the Warriors could get. I also like Edwards and Okongwu, but they are more of a project and would need more time to become real contributors in a winning team. Edwards is a great talent, but he needs to work on his shot and defense, I wouldn't be confident in playing him in the playoff. Okongwu projects as a great defender and he would be a good fit as a small ball 5 for us, but his shot is terrible and in general he lacks offensive skills, he's not good enough for #2. I'd consider him if we trade down though, he's gonna be a really good role player.

Avdija is the most mature player in the class and it's not even close. He's a true pro, with high BBIQ and not many weaknesses in his game. He can improve as a shooter but he's not bad at all. His 1 on 1 defense will never be great, but he looks to be a good team defender. Maybe getting him at the #2 is a reach, but in a weak draft I'd rather get him than half players like Obi Toppin who is an offensive juggernaut but he's probably the worst defender I've ever seen.

Wiseman is good. He won't be ready day 1, but his talent is huge. He's probably the best choice if we don't trade the pick.

If we can trade down a couple spots and get Avdija + a good role player, it would be the best imho, otherwise just get Wiseman.

I also like LaMelo a lot, he's amazing, but it will take 2-3 years at the very least to develop his potential, so he's not a fit for this team. His passing is unbelievable though, he will be fun to watch.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#166 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:14 pm

It’s gotta be Wiseman unless Kerr & Co. are truly abandoning the big man and just want to keep doing their endless revolving door of rando bigs
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#167 » by Mylie10 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:30 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:ILOVEIT and ShadDEeey are big advocates for Beal from the posts I'm seeing. :lol:

I like the impact a player like Beal gives you. He would not be my first choice. But imagine Curry, Beal, Klay, Green...Who is going to stop that team?

On the other hand...who is Beal going to stop lol.

At this point I wouldn't trade Wiggins and the 2nd pick for him. I think Wiggins is a better fit and Beal isn't THAT much better of a scorer to overcome Wiggins defense and SF fit.

BTW...most of my posts for Beal were before we got the second pick ;)

I’m not advocating Beal either.

But like you said, just imagine that offense with those 3. Steph, Klay, and Beal. All three are elite at moving without the ball. It would be incredible to watch. And if you stagger Steph and Beal somewhat, you will always have a guy on the floor who can create shots.

If that ever happened, then you’d have to have the rest of your focus be on defensive players. Which is also fine.

I will say that Beal is a much better defender than many people think, but with our defense, Beal would have to guard some forwards. Although with teams going five out, you just have to be able to guard up top.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#168 » by Mylie10 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:42 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:It’s gotta be Wiseman unless Kerr & Co. are truly abandoning the big man and just want to keep doing their endless revolving door of rando bigs

Agreed!

The Warriors are one of the smallest teams on paper right now. And among their bigs we have;

A guy (Looney) who we don’t know if he can even play. And when he did play last year, he was really out of shape.

We have a guy who has bounced around the league after being a lottery pick, who once they decided he is a center and not a power forward, he started to become a reliable player.

We have Draymond of course who is the perfect fit for the type of defense needed these days with all of these teams playing five out. Draymond guards every position, so he’s still invaluable on that end, because he can slide down and block shots.

Paschall can’t be considered a big really. He’s only 6’7” and not much of a defender right now.

After that, the cupboard is bare.

Give me Wiseman and that length. Then we can get to work with our other assets.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#169 » by wco81 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:46 pm

Avija shoots in the 50s from FT line.

In the Israeli league.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Post#170 » by xdrta+ » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:51 pm

wco81 wrote:Avija shoots in the 50s from FT line.

In the Israeli league.

Whoa. That's kinda scary.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 360

Post#171 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:55 pm

wco81 wrote:Avija shoots in the 50s from FT line.

In the Israeli league.

I’m sure it’s just a confidence/mentality issue. Much like Klay earlier in his career. If his shots weren’t sinking, a dark cloud will hover over his head throughout the game.

If Avija puts effort into other things (e.g., passing, ball-handling, defense, rebounding), that’s all people would ask. If he were on our squad and system, he won’t solely be relied upon for offense/scoring.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#172 » by wco81 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:58 pm

You want two bad shooters out there, Avija and Dray?

Iggy shot poorly too but he'd make big shots often enough to add to his defensive and playmaking prowess.

That's not to say inefficient shooters can't contribute. Luka is not an efficient shooter but he hits enough of those 3s to create room for hi to drive to the basket.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 414

Post#173 » by superunknown » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:59 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:
The difference is that Warren is making 12 millions next season, Wiggins 29.
If Wiggins had TJ's contract it would be a great fit, but he doesn't so he's negative value.

I understand the contract value argument, but the proposed trade was 2nd pick (wiseman? edwards?)+wiggings+paschall for TJ Warren and Turner. Again, TJ warren is not an upgrade over wiggings, Turner might be better NOW than Wiseman/Edwards or whoever else that 2nd pick could translate to but in a few years he might not and anyway he's not that edge, and you also would lose paschall. Dubs would not come out better from that trade.

lars_rosenberg wrote:I've spent the last few hours watching scouting reports and I think Wiseman and Avdija are the best players the Warriors could get. I also like Edwards and Okongwu, but they are more of a project and would need more time to become real contributors in a winning team. Edwards is a great talent, but he needs to work on his shot and defense, I wouldn't be confident in playing him in the playoff. Okongwu projects as a great defender and he would be a good fit as a small ball 5 for us, but his shot is terrible and in general he lacks offensive skills, he's not good enough for #2. I'd consider him if we trade down though, he's gonna be a really good role player.

Avdija is the most mature player in the class and it's not even close. He's a true pro, with high BBIQ and not many weaknesses in his game. He can improve as a shooter but he's not bad at all. His 1 on 1 defense will never be great, but he looks to be a good team defender. Maybe getting him at the #2 is a reach, but in a weak draft I'd rather get him than half players like Obi Toppin who is an offensive juggernaut but he's probably the worst defender I've ever seen.

Wiseman is good. He won't be ready day 1, but his talent is huge. He's probably the best choice if we don't trade the pick.

If we can trade down a couple spots and get Avdija + a good role player, it would be the best imho, otherwise just get Wiseman.

I also like LaMelo a lot, he's amazing, but it will take 2-3 years at the very least to develop his potential, so he's not a fit for this team. His passing is unbelievable though, he will be fun to watch.

avdija may be the most mature player in the draft but he is a project too. he's not like doncic who was way ahead of him in terms of player development and European basketball experience. IMO getting him at #2 would be a reach.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#174 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:28 pm

You guys should look at Avdija's most recent game logs rather than relying on shooting percentages over a long period of time. He's a young player, he's improving a lot right now but he's still not the sort of player that's taking over the scoring load on his team every game. If you asked me if I thought he would develop into a top-5 SF in the NBA, I would say I don't think so. More like top-15 to -20.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Deni-Avdija/GameLogs/116938
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#175 » by HiRez » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:44 pm

If it turns out the Warriors aren't interested in a rookie and are picking for a future trade, it's going to be tricky. Let's say Minny takes Edwards. Which player do the Warriors then take to a) maximize trade value, while at the same time b) providing contributions in the interim (or in case no trade happens), and c) can show development in the short term or at least not show regression/bust?

Wiseman is a little iffy in that scenario because he may not have the highest trade value as a center and may have a longer development roadmap than other players. Centers (even talented ones) struggling in their first few years is not uncommon.

Ball is probably not a good choice here since first of all he'll be stuck behind Steph for playing time, and secondly IMO he has high bust potential, so if he does get playing time his flaws may be exposed at the NBA level and his trade stock may plummet. And if he becomes untradeable, we're stuck with him.

So I'm thinking maybe someone like Toppin or Avdija who have some experience, can showcase a few things while not struggling to fit in.

Just hard to make a pick for that scenario with so many variables.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#176 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:26 pm

I've been a fan of Avdija from the beginning, but I was thinking they'd end up with maybe the #7 pick or something. He's one of the reasons I was a fan of a trade back as their record got worse and worse.

I've been saying all along that if they LOVE a player and can't trade down and be assured of getting him, then just take him wherever they draft.

Edwards, Ball, and Toppin are the common top 5 players I have the most issue with.

Wiseman, Avdija, Okongwu, Okoro, Haliburton are the common top 10 players I like the best
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#177 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:27 pm

HiRez wrote:If it turns out the Warriors aren't interested in a rookie and are picking for a future trade, it's going to be tricky. Let's say Minny takes Edwards. Which player do the Warriors then take to a) maximize trade value, while at the same time b) providing contributions in the interim (or in case no trade happens), and c) can show development in the short term or at least not show regression/bust?

Wiseman is a little iffy in that scenario because he may not have the highest trade value as a center and may have a longer development roadmap than other players. Centers (even talented ones) struggling in their first few years is not uncommon.

Ball is probably not a good choice here since first of all he'll be stuck behind Steph for playing time, and secondly IMO he has high bust potential, so if he does get playing time his flaws may be exposed at the NBA level and his trade stock may plummet. And if he becomes untradeable, we're stuck with him.

So I'm thinking maybe someone like Toppin or Avdija who have some experience, can showcase a few things while not struggling to fit in.

Just hard to make a pick for that scenario with so many variables.

They will have the trade in place before the pick or they will draft for themselves.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#178 » by The Maestro » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:12 pm

Hmmm...pretty sure I brought up this exact scenario a few pages ago. Warriors would be all over it if Giannis and Simmons don’t work out. Myers would drive Wiggins to the airport himself.

To be clear: Settling for whatever shouldn't be on the Warriors' menu. Turning No. 2 into Aaron Gordon won't cut it. (Gordon and Terrence Ross is a different story.) But their overarching goal should be to maximize what's already in place. And they're more likely to do that by moving this year's pick.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2905724-keep-or-trade-what-every-nba-lottery-team-should-do-with-its-1st-round-pick
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#179 » by Mylie10 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:23 pm

The Maestro wrote:Hmmm...pretty sure I brought up this exact scenario a few pages ago. Warriors would be all over it if Giannis and Simmons don’t work out. Myers would drive Wiggins to the airport himself.

To be clear: Settling for whatever shouldn't be on the Warriors' menu. Turning No. 2 into Aaron Gordon won't cut it. (Gordon and Terrence Ross is a different story.) But their overarching goal should be to maximize what's already in place. And they're more likely to do that by moving this year's pick.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2905724-keep-or-trade-what-every-nba-lottery-team-should-do-with-its-1st-round-pick

I think I’d rather have Vucevic than Gordon with a gun to my head. I would really love to see Vuc play for a winning team. He’d be nice next to Draymond. He’s not as bad a defender as many claim. Solid three point shooter.

But overall I’m not dealing Wiggins and any picks unless we are getting Giannis. Or someone we aren’t talking about who is worth losing the assets.

Mostly because the positives for keeping Wiggins right now is this;

A.) We need the salary slot
B.) He fits positionally
C.) In order to move him, we actually lose assets
D.) The pressure is off for him to carry a team. Perfect situation for him.
Khoee wrote “
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#180 » by ShayDee » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:24 pm

The Maestro wrote:Hmmm...pretty sure I brought up this exact scenario a few pages ago. Warriors would be all over it if Giannis and Simmons don’t work out. Myers would drive Wiggins to the airport himself.

Why does it have to be this pick? Why not the Minny 1st for Gordon and Ross?

Return to Golden State Warriors