Playoff game 3 RD 1 Portland vs Los Angeles 5:30 PM KATU

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,798

Re: Playoff game 3 RD 1 Portland vs Los Angeles 5:30 PM KATU 

Post#101 » by The Sebastian Express » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:13 am

Someone in the general board thread tried to act like the disparity in free throws didn't matter if the Lakers were missing the shots. That it wasn't hurting the Blazers.

Yes, disparity in the whistle and the free throws does add up. Doesn't matter if they're missing them. Our gets get into foul trouble, their team keeps getting more opportunities to make them and when it isn't called on our end our guys are concerned about driving since the contact won't be called.

And we saw that today.

I was okay with losing game two. We couldn't hit anything. That was on us. This wasn't a fair game or fun to watch in any way. It isn't enjoyable to watch an already undermanned team have to play three refs too.
Klinky
Assistant Coach
And1: 536

Post#102 » by Klinky » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:14 am

At least it wasn't an embarrassment like last game. I am sure we can get at least one more win and make the series competitive.
Circus Americano!
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Post#103 » by PDXKnight » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:17 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:Someone in the general board thread tried to act like the disparity in free throws didn't matter if the Lakers were missing the shots. That it wasn't hurting the Blazers.

Yes, disparity in the whistle and the free throws does add up. Doesn't matter if they're missing them. Our gets get into foul trouble, their team keeps getting more opportunities to make them and when it isn't called on our end our guys are concerned about driving since the contact won't be called.

And we saw that today.

I was okay with losing game two. We couldn't hit anything. That was on us. This wasn't a fair game or fun to watch in any way. It isn't enjoyable to watch an already undermanned team have to play three refs too.

Unfortunately we all knew Before the series started that these calls would happen. The blazers just have to roll with the punches and use this as motivation. Hard to imagine we will be “allowed” to win the series but it’d be nice to take it to 6 or 7

What makes me more irate than anything is I think if we were the 1 seed and la was the 8 LA would be treated far far better than us because of the nba’s unbridled love for big markets
The Sebastian Express

Post#104 » by The Sebastian Express » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:19 am

Moonbeam wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:Shame it couldn't be a fair game. Would've been nice to have.

Yeah, it’s been rough. But Portland has had so many opportunities for buckets that have gone astray, including potentially momentum-shifting ones. Portland could have made this a one-possession game despite the foul differential.

Could've, yes. But momentum and runs, rhythm gets ruined when you can't do what the other team is allowed to do.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#105 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:21 am

I never figured the Blazers would win the series. The Lakers have 2 stars to our 1 star and have better players on the roster. I did hope the series would go 7 games though.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#106 » by PDXKnight » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:22 am

Klinky wrote:At least it wasn't an embarrassment like last game. I am sure we can get at least one more win and make the series competitive.

Yes might win 1 or 2 more. I cannot imagine the nba letting us win the series. I’d like to think we have a shot and if the calls were fair we would but I don’t see the calls being fair at all the rest of the way.

On the bright side it was a much better game as you said. But a competitive series would be a nice take away for sure and Dame won’t shoot this bad again yet it was still close
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#107 » by Sinobas » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:22 am

Dame, CJ and Melo played big minutes and had pretty good games overall. Trent and Whiteside were ok, but everyone else was total garbage. Due to injury and Ariza not coming, we're forced to play guys that shouldn't even be in the rotation of a regular season game, let alone the playoffs.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#108 » by PDXKnight » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:31 am

Sinobas wrote:Dame, CJ and Melo played big minutes and had pretty good games overall. Trent and Whiteside were ok, but everyone else was total garbage. Due to injury and Ariza not coming, we're forced to play guys that shouldn't even be in the rotation of a regular season game, let alone the playoffs.

The nba wouldn’t let ariza come in it sounded like? If so I’m calling bs on that especially if he was willing to do the quarantine

Man zco would be nice. I’d rather whiteside have gone down than Collins at least for this matchup against ad. Both ariza and Collins would’ve done better on ad than this rag tag lineup of a center in whiteside and a tenth man in gabrille
blazersfan52
Senior
And1: 224

Post#109 » by blazersfan52 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:34 am

Such an ugly game. Lakers got the benefit of the calls (no surprise there) But the Blazers had a chance in the game still, and just didn't capitalize on it. Taking bad shots, and not making an passes when they should have. Nurk looked completely gassed out there, why he was left in that long no idea. On to the next one
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,436

Post#110 » by Pattycakes » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:40 am

That wasn’t even basketball. Next
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 851

Post#111 » by Epicurus » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:22 am

The Blazers had to play defense 41 possessions in the penalty. The Lakers needed to play 8 possessions with the Blazers getting penalty shots. Tell me which is advantaged. Which can play tighter defense? Further how did the disparity get this large at all.
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#112 » by Epicurus » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:24 am

blazersfan52 wrote:Such an ugly game. Lakers got the benefit of the calls (no surprise there) But the Blazers had a chance in the game still, and just didn't capitalize on it. Taking bad shots, and not making an passes when they should have. Nurk looked completely gassed out there, why he was left in that long no idea. On to the next one
Because getting a game turning contribution from his replacement was even less than from a gassed Nurk (if nothing else, better chance of freeing Lillard with screens or finding an open man with a pass). But yes, Nurk had little in the tank.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#113 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:13 am

Nurk hasn't played basketball in like 16 months. He has now played 12 games and just might be a bit gassed. Even if he is in shape, he probably wasnt in game shaped so I'm willing to give him a bit if a pass. No one else gets a pass though.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,221

Post#114 » by monopoman » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:45 am

It's tough to blame Nurk dude lost someone he was very close to and on top of that has played 12 games of NBA ball in the past 16 or so months. Asking him to go out there and be at his highest level is a VERY tough, even if he kept himself in shape playing NBA ball is nothing like working out.
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#115 » by Epicurus » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:55 am

monopoman wrote:It's tough to blame Nurk dude lost someone he was very close to and on top of that has played 12 games of NBA ball in the past 16 or so months. Asking him to go out there and be at his highest level is a VERY tough, even if he kept himself in shape playing NBA ball is nothing like working out.
Quite true, but his flipping up very makeable shots is disappointing, to be kind.
zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#116 » by zzaj » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:09 am

The Blazers and us as fans should know this--despite what would be a 'feel good' Cinderella story starring Lillard, it is not good for the NBA to have LeBron and Davis and the biggest market team in the league bounced in the first round.

They have to make shots to win, they can't count on equal refereeing. A 43 vs. 19 FT disparity will be the norm. The Blazers have to have more assists and high percentage shots than the Lakers. Additionally, there is simply no excuse based on matchups that the Blazers should be outrebounded by this Lakers team.
LillardTime
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#117 » by LillardTime » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:45 am

The Lakers relentlessly attack the paint with Lebron and Davis, Howard and McGee are always fighting hard in the paint. They will always get more whistles than the Blazers. Look at Nurk catching the ball down low and trying to side step around the defence and throw the ball up at the rim. AD or Lebron would look for the contact rather than trying to avoid it. That’s the difference.

Nurk needs to spend the off season working on his post game and his foul line jumper. 3 point shots are nice and all but AD being able to hit the elbow jumper made Caruso look like it was Steve Nash distributing time him. Nurk is not built to play 36 minutes so we need to get a good quality 3rd big assuming we let Hassan walk.

I’d love to know what the Blazers hierarchy are thinking right now because it’s clear that Dame does not have the support to be able to take out LAL, LAC, HOU in a 7 game series. One would imagine you can add DEN, DAL and UTA to the list of formidable sides once next season begins. Watching these three games has shown the trapping of the pick and roll forcing Dame to give up the ball is still an issue without enough play makers and shooting to make the opposition pay. Dame is 30 and probably has 3 more elite seasons left before he starts to decline. Olshey needs to bite the bullet and make some big phone calls this offseason. I’d rather get to the other side of Dames prime knowing we swung for the fences and tried everything.
The Sebastian Express

Post#118 » by The Sebastian Express » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:42 pm

There's a small issue, though, with preaching to attack and create contact.

When they 1. Don't call the foul. Or 2. Worse, they call you for an offensive foul.

Just to repeat - they called a foul on us for LeBron tripping on Danny Green. We were in the penalty so he got two shots for this.

For tripping on his own teammate.

Yes, we can play more physical. But also no, we can't - because the contact isn't being treated equal. That's the whole issue.

I don't care if they call ticky tacky fouls (though I think it's cheap to do in the playoffs) or if they let them give hard fouls. Just let both teams do it.

CJ got pushed in the back mid-air and out of bounds in the second quarter. They called it out of bounds, gave the ball to us.

LeBron tripped over Danny Green. They called it a foul on us.

That wears on players.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#119 » by GEE » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:20 pm

With the obvious rigging of these games, why is it that nobody will speak out. I would love to see Stotts grow a pair, stand in front of those cameras and simply say, "we're getting screwed by the refs". Is he afraid of being fined?

The NBA is looking more and more like professional wrestling with each passing season... A money making machine with no real integrity for the actual sport.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#120 » by Sinobas » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:36 pm

I still love the foul they called on Nurkic when Anthony Davis ran into his back.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers