ImageImage

Prospect Spotlight -- Obi Toppin

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Re: Prospect Spotlight -- Obi Toppin 

Post#21 » by King Ken » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:19 am

Tier 3.5 for me which is tied with Edwards and Ball. Also tied with Reddish/Bol/Clarke/White/Garland from last year's draft and my #1 overall prospect in this draft class.

He's just a tremendous offensive talent. I strongly think he's a potential 25/8-10/4-5 guy and just a massive offensive impact. Defensively, I think he has more potential than some but not as much as some others. I do think he will pretty much top out at below average overall on that end. I am just a huge fan of this kid.

Movement skills like John although not as fast or quick
He's a nice perimeter feel like Kuzma.
First, step and uses his body like a young Jabari Parker
Moves and explodes like Amar'e.
Passing and has the feel for the game like Horford.

I just love this kid offensively. My favorite offensive-minded PF prospect to have entered in ages. He does so much well, I can see him making an impact anywhere offensively regardless of the situation. Ideally, I would like to see him used to the best of his abilities like Dayton was doing. I think Atlanta is a terrific offensive fit especially since Atlanta has Collins as well so Toppin can learn and grow without being forced into action. Love this kid. He has it all on the offensive end.

CP War Hawks wrote:My issues with Toppin are height and his hip flexibility. i suspect he's between 6-7 to 6-8 w/o shoes. A mannequin has looser hips. I just hate his defensive fit but his finishing ability I'd describe as Collins esque with a bit more diversity.

He's 6'9.5 without shoes. He literally grew again before the season started from 6'8 barefeet.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#22 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:21 am

King Ken wrote:Tier 3.5 for me which is tied with Edwards and Ball. Also tied with Reddish/Bol/Clarke/White/Garland from last year's draft and my #1 overall prospect in this draft class.

He's just a tremendous offensive talent. I strongly think he's a potential 25/8-10/4-5 guy and just a massive offensive impact. Defensively, I think he has more potential than some but not as much as some others. I do think he will pretty much top out at below average overall on that end. I am just a huge fan of this kid.

I just love this kid offensively. My favorite offensive-minded PF prospect to have entered in ages. He does so much well, I can see him making an impact anywhere offensively regardless of the situation. Ideally, I would like to see him used to the best of his abilities like Dayton was doing. I think Atlanta is a terrific offensive fit especially since Atlanta has Collins as well so Toppin can learn and grow without being forced into action. Love this kid. He has it all on the offensive end.

CP War Hawks wrote:My issues with Toppin are height and his hip flexibility. i suspect he's between 6-7 to 6-8 w/o shoes. A mannequin has looser hips. I just hate his defensive fit but his finishing ability I'd describe as Collins esque with a bit more diversity.

He's 6'9.5 without shoes. He literally grew again before the season started from 6'8 barefeet.

We could do worse but if given the end of the 4th quarter I’m still taking a grinder like Gwu over an offensive minded Obi.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#23 » by King Ken » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:44 am

Spud2nique wrote:
King Ken wrote:Tier 3.5 for me which is tied with Edwards and Ball. Also tied with Reddish/Bol/Clarke/White/Garland from last year's draft and my #1 overall prospect in this draft class.

We could do worse but if given the end of the 4th quarter I’m still taking a grinder like Gwu over an offensive minded Obi.

I don't see any scenario that I will take Okongwu over Toppin. Elite offense is just too valuable.
His offense along can give me a 7-9 WAR in the long run. Not passing on that in a PPP league like the NBA is today. Especially considering this team has a lot of deficient PPP players outside of Young.

At the end of the day, I project Okongwu to be a balanced player who adds value on both ends but give me Toppin. He does too much offensively and is a walking mismatch like Trae.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#24 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:43 pm

King Ken wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:

I don't see any scenario that I will take Okongwu over Toppin. Elite offense is just too valuable.
His offense along can give me a 7-9 WAR in the long run. Not passing on that in a PPP league like the NBA is today. Especially considering this team has a lot of deficient PPP players outside of Young.

At the end of the day, I project Okongwu to be a balanced player who adds value on both ends but give me Toppin. He does too much offensively and is a walking mismatch like Trae.

What if I told you that drafting Obi would take offensive reps away from our boy Cam? Look, I feel like we have a lot of weapons on both sides but less of that big man playing the dirty role. We already have the stylish offensive big in JC, why duplicate that and be redundant when you can get a better version of a Chuck Hayes, Carl Landry or somebody who is an enforcer. That’s just my take on this thing.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#25 » by King Ken » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:13 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:

What if I told you that drafting Obi would take offensive reps away from our boy Cam? Look, I feel like we have a lot of weapons on both sides but less of that big man playing the dirty role. We already have the stylish offensive big in JC, why duplicate that and be redundant when you can get a better version of a Chuck Hayes, Carl Landry or somebody who is an enforcer. That’s just my take on this thing.

Bigs always get the most touches outside of Trae. Check the metrics in the last two years. At least with he touches, they create open looks for Cam to have more proficient touches which is even better. He's not a duplicate. They are different players.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#26 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:33 pm

King Ken wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
King Ken wrote:I don't see any scenario that I will take Okongwu over Toppin. Elite offense is just too valuable.

Bigs always get the most touches outside of Trae. Check the metrics in the last two years. At least with he touches, they create open looks for Cam to have more proficient touches which is even better. He's not a duplicate. They are different players.

So basically if I hear you correctly you are saying:

1. Obi is not a duplicate of JC.

2. Obi touches create better opportunities for Cam in his first year than Collins in his 4th.

If that’s the case then Obi should outright win the rookie of the year award cuz Collins puts up 20/10 and if a rook does that he’s rookie of the year.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#27 » by King Ken » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:48 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:

So basically if I hear you correctly you are saying:

1. Obi is not a duplicate of JC.

2. Obi touches create better opportunities for Cam in his first year than Collins in his 4th.

If that’s the case then Obi should outright win the rookie of the year award cuz Collins puts up 20/10 and if a rook does that he’s rookie of the year.

1. 100%
2. Did rookie Trae create better opportunities for John than 5th year Dennis?
He probably won't win ROY if drafted by us. 18-20 mpg just isn't enough. I would bet on Cole Anthony, LaMelo Ball, or Anthony Edwards. Sleepers for me is Aaron Nesmith or Okongwu depending on their PT. Now Obi is my forerunner if he lands on a team where he's getting PT
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#28 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Aug 4, 2020 7:22 pm

Read on Twitter
King Ken
General Manager

Post#29 » by King Ken » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:17 am

I seriously hope if he falls to #6 we take him. This is honestly the only game-changer for us in this draft long term.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#30 » by Spud2nique » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:16 am

King Ken wrote:I seriously hope if he falls to #6 we take him. This is honestly the only game-changer for us in this draft long term.

Not Okongwu?
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#31 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:25 pm

I'm for Okongwu.

I hope the Cavs take Top so that Kong falls to the Hawks.

Having Top and Collins is just redundant. Kong and Collins would work well, especially with Kong's defensive presence.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#32 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:40 pm

Biggest Questions About NBA Draft Prospect Obi Toppin

Toppin has lottery teams' attention now after transforming into a 20-point-per-game scorer, National Player of the Year and better shooter to strengthen his projected NBA fit.

But some scouts are still hesitant about how high it's worth drafting Toppin, with their questions mostly related to his defense and how it could affect his value.

How should Toppin's questionable defense affect his evaluation and value?

Plenty of teams will be sold on Toppin's scoring translating, given his pro tools (6'9", 220 lbs), explosiveness around the basket (76.7 percent at rim), effective post game (1.02 PPP, 87th percentile), untapped face-up potential (1.33 PPP spot-ups, 98th percentile), developing jump shot (32 3PTM, 39 percent) and efficient production (32.5 player efficiency rating).

But what if he's a defensive liability? How much would it offset what he's able to accomplish offensively?

Toppin showed limited potential in rim protection. Despite his size and athleticism, opponents shot 57.6 percent around the basket when he was defending. His 4.1 block percentage was scarily low since he often played center. The instincts, reaction time and effort don't show up on tape.

He does not appear graceful guarding away from the basket, whether he's isolated, closing out or asked to help. His footwork and general movements are clunky. Shooters shot 40.4 percent over him off the catch. He graded in the 26th percentile defending spot-ups, and he didn't stop pick-and-rolls (opponents converted 17-of-22 times).

Even his 14.5 rebounding percentage raises concerns. How could a big man as bouncy as him grab just 7.5 boards in 31.6 minutes per game?

Teams considering Toppin may have to accept they won't be getting a plus defender or intimidator. And that means needing to think about whether they have the right supporting cast to help mask his weaknesses.

How much should teams factor Toppin's defensive fit when considering him?

What if a struggling defensive team deems Toppin the best player available when it's on the clock? Toppin could efficiently give teams 20-plus points a game. A scorer like that may be tougher to find than defensive role players who can fill in around him.

Ideally, the team that drafts Toppin can slot him between a rim protector and defensive wing. Or, it can use him at the 5 behind a strong team defense and shooters, like in Golden State.

Compared to USC's Onyeka Okongwu, the other projected lottery big, Toppin is the more attractive offensive player. Okongwu is stronger, but he isn't as comfortable or threatening outside the paint.

It seems like a safe bet to project a productive scorer in Toppin who'll shoot a high percentage from the floor. Offensively, it's not crazy to think he puts up numbers similar to Atlanta Hawks forward John Collins. But will they be enough to make up for his defensive issues, to what degree can he make them disappear, and is he definitely on track to evolve from a power player to an inside-out stretch big?
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#33 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:50 pm

I'd draft this guy, groom him and ship him off once his value increases -- he's going to be productuve.

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#34 » by jayu70 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:53 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

It seems like a safe bet to project a productive scorer in Toppin who'll shoot a high percentage from the floor. Offensively, it's not crazy to think he puts up numbers similar to Atlanta Hawks forward John Collins. But will they be enough to make up for his defensive issues, to what degree can he make them disappear, and is he definitely on track to evolve from a power player to an inside-out stretch big?
Bleacher Report

This is why I'd prefer Okongwu. Two positional player at PF and C with high defensive potential. We draft Toppin, in 3 years we'd be asking should we extend him and how much since his defense is questionable. Sounds much like our current PF.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#35 » by Spud2nique » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:16 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Bleacher Report

This is why I'd prefer Okongwu. Two positional player at PF and C with high defensive potential. We draft Toppin, in 3 years we'd be asking should we extend him and how much since his defense is questionable. Sounds much like our current PF.

Jesus cite your sources. Woooow.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#36 » by King Ken » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:46 am

Jamaaliver wrote:

Toppin has lottery teams' attention now after transforming into a 20-point-per-game scorer, National Player of the Year and better shooter to strengthen his projected NBA fit.

But some scouts are still hesitant about how high it's worth drafting Toppin, with their questions mostly related to his defense and how it could affect his value.

Plenty of teams will be sold on Toppin's scoring translating, given his pro tools (6'9", 220 lbs), explosiveness around the basket (76.7 percent at rim), effective post game (1.02 PPP, 87th percentile), untapped face-up potential (1.33 PPP spot-ups, 98th percentile), developing jump shot (32 3PTM, 39 percent) and efficient production (32.5 player efficiency rating).

But what if he's a defensive liability? How much would it offset what he's able to accomplish offensively?

Toppin showed limited potential in rim protection. Despite his size and athleticism, opponents shot 57.6 percent around the basket when he was defending. His 4.1 block percentage was scarily low since he often played center. The instincts, reaction time and effort don't show up on tape.

He does not appear graceful guarding away from the basket, whether he's isolated, closing out or asked to help. His footwork and general movements are clunky. Shooters shot 40.4 percent over him off the catch. He graded in the 26th percentile defending spot-ups, and he didn't stop pick-and-rolls (opponents converted 17-of-22 times).

Even his 14.5 rebounding percentage raises concerns. How could a big man as bouncy as him grab just 7.5 boards in 31.6 minutes per game?

Teams considering Toppin may have to accept they won't be getting a plus defender or intimidator. And that means needing to think about whether they have the right supporting cast to help mask his weaknesses.

What if a struggling defensive team deems Toppin the best player available when it's on the clock? Toppin could efficiently give teams 20-plus points a game. A scorer like that may be tougher to find than defensive role players who can fill in around him.

Ideally, the team that drafts Toppin can slot him between a rim protector and defensive wing. Or, it can use him at the 5 behind a strong team defense and shooters, like in Golden State.

Compared to USC's Onyeka Okongwu, the other projected lottery big, Toppin is the more attractive offensive player. Okongwu is stronger, but he isn't as comfortable or threatening outside the paint.

Bleacher Report

I wish people would watch Toppin play and JC play.

Toppin does a lot more than JC.
Ball handling
First step
Decision making
Feel for the game
Quicker mental reads on the ball to create for others. Most JC mental reads are to finish and score.
face up potential
Playmaking
Vision
Can draw double teams
Can handle double teams
He shows potential at hitting 3 with pressure. JC doesn't, he's shooting 25% from 3 when pressured. All of JC success is wide open 3s.

I don't understand how anyone can make this comparison with a straight face. It's offensive. That's not saying JC isn't better right now than Obi Toppin who hasn't played in the NBA yet. I am just saying Obi does A LOT more and usually bigs as Toppin do even more when they get to the NBA than they did in college as we saw from Collins.

If available, you would be a fool to pass on Toppin. People being extra hard on him when his metrics speaks a better story. His defense ain't that damn bad. Yes, he lacks a lot of natural talent defensively but he has great BBIQ and feel for the game. He will figure it out.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#37 » by Spud2nique » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:56 am

King Ken wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Bleacher Report

Ball handling
First step
Decision making
Feel for the game
Quicker mental reads on the ball to create for others. Most JC mental reads are to finish and score.
face up potential
Playmaking
Vision
Can draw double teams
Can handle double teams
He shows potential at hitting 3 with pressure. JC doesn't, he's shooting 25% from 3 when pressured. All of JC success is wide open 3s.

I don't understand how anyone can make this comparison with a straight face. It's offensive. That's not saying JC isn't better right now than Obi Toppin who hasn't played in the NBA yet. I am just saying Obi does A LOT more and usually bigs as Toppin do even more when they get to the NBA than they did in college as we saw from Collins.

If available, you would be a fool to pass on Toppin. People being extra hard on him when his metrics speaks a better story. His defense ain't that damn bad. Yes, he lacks a lot of natural talent defensively but he has great BBIQ and feel for the game. He will figure it out.

This isn’t 2K bro. You have to actually play defense and Toppin makes John Collins look like Dennis Rodman. His defense “ain’t that bad” Look you, we can’t have any more frickin dudes on this frickin team whose defense “ain’t that bad”, we actually need GOOD DEFENDERS.

Gimme Okongwu ALL DAY. ****, if we have to trade up to #3 to get Okongwu, do it. This kid is the real fckin deal. I watched tape on him and watched whole games on both. Okongwu is gonna handle the grind. Toppin is gonna flip 3’s when we are down 20. No.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#38 » by King Ken » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:29 am

Spud2nique wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote: Bleacher Report

Ball handling
First step
Decision making
Feel for the game
face up potential
Playmaking
Vision
Can draw double teams
Can handle double teams

This isn’t 2K bro. You have to actually play defense and Toppin makes John Collins look like Dennis Rodman. His defense “ain’t that bad” Look you, we can’t have any more frickin dudes on this frickin team whose defense “ain’t that bad”, we actually need GOOD DEFENDERS.

Gimme Okongwu ALL DAY. ****, if we have to trade up to #3 to get Okongwu, do it. This kid is the real fckin deal. I watched tape on him and watched whole games on both. Okongwu is gonna handle the grind. Toppin is gonna flip 3’s when we are down 20. No.

That some silly ****! Collins defense is ass outside of the paint on for ALL metrics and his defense was much worse as a prospect compared to Toppin. Look man, lie your ass off if you want but I am **** with Toppin and I'll be damned if someone wants to lie about **** on him. That's some stupid ****! JC defensive metrics outside of the paint is HORRIBLE and has been since he was a prospect and it was a much worse all around than Toppin. I don't know why you insist on lying about it.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#39 » by Spud2nique » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:24 am

King Ken wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
King Ken wrote:I wish people would watch Toppin play and JC play.

Ball handling
First step
Decision making
Feel for the game
face up potential
Playmaking
Vision
Can draw double teams
Can handle double teams

That some silly ****! Collins defense is ass outside of the paint on for ALL metrics and his defense was much worse as a prospect compared to Toppin. Look man, lie your ass off if you want but I am **** with Toppin and I'll be damned if someone wants to lie about **** on him. That's some stupid ****! JC defensive metrics outside of the paint is HORRIBLE and has been since he was a prospect and it was a much worse all around than Toppin. I don't know why you insist on lying about it.

Watch dude fly out on defense, it’s downright ridiculous and some fake a$$ effort. This guy might score 20 a night but he will give up 30.

Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#40 » by Spud2nique » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:27 am

King Ken wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
King Ken wrote:I wish people would watch Toppin play and JC play.

Ball handling
First step
Decision making
Feel for the game
face up potential
Playmaking
Vision
Can draw double teams
Can handle double teams

How long are his arms. They look super short. He honestly looks like his measurements might come up short. His body reminds me of Ike...his play too minus the threes but players didn’t really shoot many threes when Ike played, at least bigs didn’t.

Return to Atlanta Hawks