Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 307

Re: 2020 free agent targets and draft picks 

Post#381 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:41 pm

Sinobas wrote:Trade idea:
Portland trades: CJ McCollum, Zach Collins, Gary Trent Jr, 1st round pick
Pacers trade: Domantus Sabonis, Malcom Brogdon.

Why Portland does it? The benefits of getting Sabonis are obvious. We have too much money invested in CJ, Brogdon is better defender and can play both positions. Collins is no longer needed with Sabonis.

Why Indiana does it? Get a good young prospect in Gary Trent JR, Collins for that matter still has potential, and a top flight scorer for their back court who can break down a defense 1 on 1.

Add Simons, subtract GTJ (add sweetener?) ... and I’m in. (I really like Collins and Simons BUT, it’s Sabonis).
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#382 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:03 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
I would love to draft Oturu, but I think we will have to move up significantly to get him. He is a first round pick in my opinion, hell maybe closer to our #16 pick than #46. He averaged an efficient 20/10 as a sophomore, 2.5 blocks and 36% from 3 with really good defense, he is being slept on and I definitely don't think Boston lets him slip out of the first round. Just hits a good many boxes for what you want in a modern NBA role player type big man.

I think Oturu is a riser once the draft rolls around. He is at least as talented as Mfiondu Kabengele who went like 29. His style fits this team so well, a floor spacing big who can defend the rim.

I wonder how badly Boston wants to consolidate. I would float this:

16 + 46 for 26 + 30 + 2021 FRP (Top-20 Protected)

26 - Tre Jones PG - NBA ready defender who can run a team well enough and has enough shot to keep defenses honest
30 - Daniel Oturu C - Future backup C who can 3rd string for a season and eventually fill the role behind Nurkic

Then we have another FRP to play with or potentially package with Ariza for a SF upgrade.

I like your idea of more picks (more shots at hitting and low cost). The players/draftees may be different but the principle is sound when there’s not “the target” at a higher pick (the reverse Zach Collins move BUT not trade 3 for Webster at 6 and 27 fiasco).

26 — Jalen Smith or Alexsej Pokusevski
30 — Tyler Bey or Leandro Bolmaro

The asset acquisition mode of Olshey getting marginal starters with the LMA exit, draftees, shots at $$$ players and whiffing ... has become build the next wave of youth to go with Lillard, CJ, and Nurkic. Reclamation project young vets and older vets to fill in the gaps. What’s the strategy, now?

Does Olshey have a BIG MOVE in him with this team’s personnel?
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#383 » by GEE » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:56 pm

I hope it doesn't happen, but I think Jalen Smith could be a riser as we get closer to the draft. If he stays nearly as currently projected as a late 1st, then maybe we could trade down a few spots, use TPE and also pick up a player? Not sure if that's how TPEs get used or not, but would a team in the #15 - #25 range be interested in dumping a good player for that TPE, and move up a few spots?

I would also be OK with not helping out another team; just take Jalen Smith at #14 and consider the TPEs as savings in the bank.

This fairly simple, and admittedly UNsexy plan would be just fine for me, if we can also retain Melo & Whiteside. Quack Quack! Pritchard with the SRP.

Dame / Simons / Pritchard
CJ / GTJ / Little
Melo / Hood / Rio
Collins / Gabriel / Smith
Nurkic / Whiteside / TPE or Vet Min
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,838

Post#384 » by JasonStern » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:38 pm

Read on Twitter
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#385 » by Sinobas » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:40 pm

HoopsFanAZ wrote:
Sinobas wrote:Trade idea:
Portland trades: CJ McCollum, Zach Collins, Gary Trent Jr, 1st round pick
Pacers trade: Domantus Sabonis, Malcom Brogdon.

Why Portland does it? The benefits of getting Sabonis are obvious. We have too much money invested in CJ, Brogdon is better defender and can play both positions. Collins is no longer needed with Sabonis.

Why Indiana does it? Get a good young prospect in Gary Trent JR, Collins for that matter still has potential, and a top flight scorer for their back court who can break down a defense 1 on 1.

Add Simons, subtract GTJ (add sweetener?) ... and I’m in. (I really like Collins and Simons BUT, it’s Sabonis).

At first I wanted to include Simons rather than Trent, but thought Trent might be needed to making it enticing enough for Indiana. Zach's stock is probably down a bit.
GEE
Starter

Post#386 » by GEE » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:33 pm

As long and large as CJs contract is, I highly doubt it would be easy to move. As for the Indiana trade, I just don't see the Pacers having any interest in moving Sabonis or Brogdan. It would be like them asking us for Dame and Nurkic.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#387 » by wco81 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:37 pm

They might move Sabonis if they don't want to pay both Sabonis and Turner.

Or they may move Turner.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Post#388 » by Norm2953 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:30 am

KP is not going to trade Sabonis to Portland unless its an overpay for they'd ask for Nurk.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#389 » by JasonStern » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:09 pm

So, keep the 1st or trade it for a veteran?
Tough call IMO.
Playoffs show how bad we need depth. West getting stronger. Dame in his prime. Etc.
But the whole cancelled NCAA tournament adds a lot of volatility to the draft. Does McCollum get drafted as high as he did without that Lehigh beating Duke upset? If not, how far does he fall? Have to imagine some players slide due to not getting their chance to shine.
- Chauncey Billups
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#390 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:24 pm

I thought I'd ask.

What is the likelihood of the following scenario?

1. Nurkic, Collins, Little, McCollum, Lillard, GTJ, Simons all under contract and are Blazers.
2. Whiteside re-signs with Bird Rights for half or less. [Olshey likes him.]
3. Carmelo re-signs for veteran's or MLE money.
4. Ariza kept for the year.
5. Hood stays with Blazers on player option.
6. Hezonja stays with Blazers on player option.
7. Gabriel's cheap contract option kept.
8. Blazers draft 16 and 46.
9. A couple two-way contracts.

15 players. We're done. Run them back with EVERYONE healthy.
[Ockham's Razor]
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 851

Post#391 » by Epicurus » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:41 pm

10. Moses Brown gains 50 lbs of muscle and learns to shot free throws.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#392 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:57 pm

Let's be reasonable.
50 lbs? And free throws?

I look at each of 1-9.
2-4 are less likely than 1.
5-7 are more likely to happen (all 3) than 2-4.
8 is just a good thing on general principles.

Almost never have the Blazers run everyone back outside of draftees.
It's not what I want, but I can see the logic of doing so as compared to other options
and the free agent market and cap/tax/lesser revenue.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,798

Post#393 » by The Sebastian Express » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:12 pm

I'd like to see if Philly is interested in CJ for Harris.
GEE
Starter

Post#394 » by GEE » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:39 am

I think a rinse and repeat like suggested would be just fine, but would rather not include Ariza. Use the FRP, TPE and Little, to land a starting caliber SF. He'd have to be much better than Little, and not ruin team chemistry. I know he's out there somewhere, stashed away on some good young team with lots of wings, I just don't know who that player is. A big Little upgrade.

I'm a big fan of bringing Melo, Whiteside and the other back. Just drafting Jalen Smith and Payton Pritchard, while adding a couple solid vet mins would be great too.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,803

Post#395 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:12 pm

Ariza, Hood, Simons and our FRP for a S&T DeRozan and 41. Ideally a 3 year deal w/ limited GTD $ on the 3rd year.

41 - Malachi Flynn PG
46 - Killian Tillie FC

Resign Melo + Hassan to short term deals. Sign MCW as a defensive backup PG to compliment our short guards.

G - Damian Lillard / Michael Carter-Williams / Malachi Flynn
G - CJ McCollum / Gary Trent Jr
F - DeMar DeRozan / Gary Trent Jr / Nassir Little
F - Zach Collins / Carmelo Anthony / Weynen Gabriel
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Hassan Whiteside / Killian Tillie

DDR would be absolutely huge for us. Has playmaking skills and great passing, can get easy buckets and FT shots when our 3 goes cold, not as bad a defender as people say, great culture fit and friends with Dame / CJ.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#396 » by JasonStern » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:24 pm

I feel like Wizenheimer is dropping the ball on pointing out that the Blazers cannot afford Lillard, McCollum, and DeRozan. Something something 80% of the cap spent on one superstar, one all-star on the wrong side of 30, and one fringe all-star.

I love bringing Whiteside back, but only on something like a 3 year/$18M contract. Not going to say he is a better player, but Kanter was a better fit for this offense and signed for less than that. Plus Whiteside is already 31.

Ariza is a big question mark. If you can lure a Jae Crowder or similar player, then you have to go that route. But if you can't, what's the best use of $12M in cap space? Ariza or $2M cap hit + Carmelo + $6M role player?

No idea the best use of the 1st. I watch Oregon games and some Nevada games, so my exposure is pretty limited to that, especially with the tournament cancelled. As I've said before, I like Pritchard and Flynn with the 2nd round pick. Neither are likely to light the league on fire, but both seem to have better than average odds of being "8 minutes a game"/"solid fill-in due to an injury" guys. Solid value for a mid 2nd round pick.
- Chauncey Billups
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#397 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:14 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Ariza, Hood, Simons and our FRP for a S&T DeRozan and 41. Ideally a 3 year deal w/ limited GTD $ on the 3rd year.

41 - Malachi Flynn PG
46 - Killian Tillie FC

Resign Melo + Hassan to short term deals. Sign MCW as a defensive backup PG to compliment our short guards.

G - Damian Lillard / Michael Carter-Williams / Malachi Flynn
G - CJ McCollum / Gary Trent Jr
F - DeMar DeRozan / Gary Trent Jr / Nassir Little
F - Zach Collins / Carmelo Anthony / Weynen Gabriel
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Hassan Whiteside / Killian Tillie

DDR would be absolutely huge for us. Has playmaking skills and great passing, can get easy buckets and FT shots when our 3 goes cold, not as bad a defender as people say, great culture fit and friends with Dame / CJ.

You're $7 million short on that trade. DeRozan makes $27 million this season. You'd probably need to add Collins and Hezonja to make it happen.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#398 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:14 pm

What type of salary is Joe Harris going to command? Could the Blazers make a play for him IF the Blazers move CJ?
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,803

Post#399 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:20 pm

You're $7 million short on that trade. DeRozan makes $27 million this season. You'd probably need to add Collins and Hezonja to make it happen.

It would have to be an opt out / sign & trade. Its a longshot, but we could afford a 2 year run with DDR. Something like Y1 22M, Y2 24M, Y3 26M (5M GTD). You need to sign 3 years for a S&T but you can have limited guaranteed money the third year. IDK if DDR would be accomodating to this, but I dont see much of a market for him and he may want to get out of SA and is close with our stars.

A cheap center could be Kyle O'Quinn. We could get him for the vet min and while he hasnt played much the last 2 years, he was pretty good in NYK. Really nice passer too which means we dont lose that high post passing when Jusuf is on the bench.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#400 » by Soulyss » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:58 am

HoopsFanAZ wrote:I thought I'd ask.

What is the likelihood of the following scenario?

1. Nurkic, Collins, Little, McCollum, Lillard, GTJ, Simons all under contract and are Blazers.
2. Whiteside re-signs with Bird Rights for half or less. [Olshey likes him.]
3. Carmelo re-signs for veteran's or MLE money.
4. Ariza kept for the year.
5. Hood stays with Blazers on player option.
6. Hezonja stays with Blazers on player option.
7. Gabriel's cheap contract option kept.
8. Blazers draft 16 and 46.
9. A couple two-way contracts.

15 players. We're done. Run them back with EVERYONE healthy.
[Ockham's Razor]

This is very, very likely.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers