ImageImageImage

Breaking: Brett Brown Fired

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,752

Re: Breaking: Brett Brown Fired 

Post#61 » by Negrodamus » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:50 pm

I'm thinking Lue goes to the Nets. He and Irving have a good relationship. Kyrie and Durant essentially pushed the FO to sign DeAndre Jordan last year, so they have pull in this scenario.
Young22
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#62 » by Young22 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:52 pm

VDT wrote:
Young22 wrote:Ty Lue has a championship. Just like Spoelstra on the back of LeBron. He hasn’t had another shot yet, unlike Spoelstra.

Was he offense dumb? They took more 3’s than when Blatt (Euro coach like Brett) was the coach.

He’s beaten Stevens twice which is enough for me. The coach that just outcoached and outclassed our coach.

What exactly is the evidence that he can’t coach?

Lots of people thought the same about Spoelstra. Until he got a chance to prove himself. Ty Lue hasn’t had that chance, yet.

Give me Ty Lue please. A young coach who comes in commanding respect and knows what it takes to win a championship. He’s been there and done that as a player and more importantly as a coach.

He hasnt shown anything as a coach and he was fired from the rebuilding Cavs shortly after Lebron left.

No LeBron, No Kyrie lol he probably quit. At least Spoelstra still had D.Wade and C.Bosh
Young22
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#63 » by Young22 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:54 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
Young22 wrote:
Mik317 wrote:Spoelstra was picked by Pat Riley and stayed even with Bron trying to get him out of there. Lue was picked by Bron...to be his bitch...and was constantly ignored.

You could be right but he showed me nothing really then to be excited by.

The best coaching hires seem to be the ones no one is constantly beating the drum for. Lue has been up for every job and still doesn't have one.

Riley also hand picked Stan Van Gundy, you want to hire him?

There is probably no other coach in the NBA that want's the job more than Stan Van Gundy. True Story.

It was getting uncomfortable listening to him give Ben a wraparound
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,122

Post#64 » by Arsenal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:56 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I'm thinking Lue goes to the Nets. He and Irving have a good relationship. Kyrie and Durant essentially pushed the FO to sign DeAndre Jordan last year, so they have pull in this scenario.

I think I saw rumblings that they also had a hand in capping Kenny Atkinson. Wouldn't be surprised at all. Irving, Durant, and Jordan seem to be a clique that is running things there. Meanwhile Jarrett Allen, whose playing time got sacrificed for Jordan, was effusive in his praise of Atkinson after he was let go.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,657

Post#65 » by stormi » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:57 pm

Read on Twitter
LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man
And1: 1,906

Post#66 » by LipSkinMatter » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:07 pm

I would have hope that we hire Atkinson but I already know that **** aint happenin'. Can we at least avoid Lue?
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,798

Post#67 » by XtremeDunkz » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:10 pm

stormi wrote:I read somewhere today that someone within the Nova lockerroom was asked if Wright would ever consider coming to coach the Sixers and it was an emphatic no. Due to the fanbase, and his goal of becoming a legendary college coach. Not worth the risk to him.

Good. The only reason people want him is because of where he coaches. He would NOT be a good coach here.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Post#68 » by sixers hoops » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:13 pm

Mik317 wrote:its going to be Lue

and its going to suck lol

That was my opinion as well. However, I always thought Mike O’Conner, who covers the Sixers, was a smart basketball guy. He recently had an article about his year covering Lue and the Cavs. He thought Lue was always prepared and would be a good candidate. That gives me a little hope I guess.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,431

Post#69 » by FlyingArrow » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:13 pm

Did we have any chance at winning a championship this year if Simmons were healthy? Seems very unlikely. Would a deep run have saved Brown's job? Seems more likely than winning a championship. In that sense, the Simmons injury may have been a blessing in disguise. There needs to be a shakeup.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,160

Post#70 » by M2J » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:17 pm

Let's see how Brand reboots this roster, or if they run it back with a better coach and push for improvement rather than retooling.
There are 3 23 year olds in this team with a great amount of talent on this team, plus Joel and Tobias and Josh still have upside at their ages.

I'm not sold on Brand, but all of his moves made sense to me. Drafted Markelle when they needed shooting or a pg. Locked in Kork and Shake to be shooters, when they hadn't proven themselves. Shake is a legit starter level player, and really so is Thybulle.

I'm not what you would call a Sixer fan, but I
get annoyed when people b*tch about Horford and Tobias contracts. It was done because they were in spending mode due to Simmon's rookie deal. Who knows why Jimmy didn't stay, but he clearly didn't want to. They basically got a replacement for Jimmy in Josh, and a high priced backup in Al, because Joel can't stay in shape. But without those moves.... Considering the cap situation with Ben Simmons. They would've not had any talent in that slot, and would have limited methods to improve around Ben and Joel, or had limited talent if they decided to trade one of them. For Tobias, they traded for a 3rd option that was the biggest all star snub in the West and shot over 42% from 3. Still provided 20,7,3 after his contact on good percentages as a 3rd option. That was as good as you were going to get for Shamet and a middling first rounder. Both these guys could be moved with the level of cheap assets Brand has acquired and few of you acknowledge you are willing to get rid of.

There are tons of options now for this team to change it's roster.

But the biggest thing this team needs is for improvement from it's all stars. Maybe a coach can hold them accountable to do so, but they should want to themselves. Also everyone can learn to better enhance both those guys.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,657

Post#71 » by stormi » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:19 pm

M2J wrote:Let's see how Brand reboots this roster, or if they run it back with a better coach and push for improvement rather than retooling.
There are 3 23 year olds in this team with a great amount of talent on this team, plus Joel and Tobias and Josh still have upside at their ages.

I'm not sold on Brand, but all of his moves made sense to me. Drafted Markelle when they needed shooting or a pg. Locked in Kork and Shake to be shooters, when they hadn't proven themselves. Shake is a legit starter level player, and really so is Thybulle.

I'm not what you would call a Sixer fan, but I
get annoyed when people b*tch about Horford and Tobias contracts. It was done because they were in spending mode due to Simmon's rookie deal. Who knows why Jimmy didn't stay, but he clearly didn't want to. They basically got a replacement for Jimmy in Josh, and a high priced backup in Al, because Joel can't stay in shape. But without those moves.... Considering the cap situation with Ben Simmons. They would've not had any talent in that slot, and would have limited methods to improve around Ben and Joel, or had limited talent if they decided to trade one of them. For Tobias, they traded for a 3rd option that was the biggest all star snub in the West and shot over 42% from 3. Still provided 20,7,3 after his contact on good percentages as a 3rd option. That was as good as you were going to get for Shamet and a middling first rounder. Both these guys could be moved with the level of cheap assets Brand has acquired and few of you acknowledge you are willing to get rid of.

There are tons of options now for this team to change it's roster.

But the biggest thing this team needs is for improvement from it's all stars. Maybe a coach can hold them accountable to do so, but they should want to themselves. Also everyone can learn to better enhance both those guys.

You're next Elton
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,091

Post#72 » by Kobblehead » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:25 pm

Jay Wright
Mark Few
Sean Miller
DT RAW
Junior
And1: 129

Post#73 » by DT RAW » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:35 pm

Ty Lue? atleast he supposedly likes 5 out and driving

but ... eh... I want atkinson, jay wright, or stan van gundy
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,752

Post#74 » by Negrodamus » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:51 pm

Atkinson burned a bridge with Dinwiddie, a guy we should pursue aggressively. I’m out on him.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#75 » by Kobblehead » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:57 pm

I'd love to bring Atkinson onto the staff as an assistant. He can be the bad cop to Wright's good cop. Similar to the dynamic Doc and Thibs had back in the Boston days.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,573

Post#76 » by FireMorey » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:20 am

I doubt Jay Wright would leave college to coach a team loaded with bigs and few shooters and guards unless his dream to coach in the NBA or his hometown pro team carries that much weight. They don't have the personnel to run the offense Jay likes to run.

And Jay leaving Nova would make one less basketball team in the city worth watching. We don't have a lot of that in this city right now.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,122

Post#77 » by Arsenal » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:37 am

Negrodamus wrote:Atkinson burned a bridge with Dinwiddie, a guy we should pursue aggressively. I’m out on him.

What happened?
HankTheTank
Pro Prospect
And1: 558

Post#78 » by HankTheTank » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:39 am

The Sixers simply aren’t interested in fixing this if they’re sticking with Brand. They’re more interested in ownership having final say, and not getting into another Hinkie situation- as in they don’t want to turn over the keys.

So, we’ll let the guys who decided Fultz was a star, that Zhaire Smith was the guy in that draft they had to have, that Tobias is a max player, and Horford is a fit fix the roster and hire a coach. Lovely
*GENIUS*
Hinkie graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 GPA from the Univ of Oklahoma and was named one of the top-60 undergrad students in the nation by USA TODAY. He holds an MBA from Stanford, graduating with highest honors as an Arjay Miller Scholar.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#79 » by TTP » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:39 am

Calinks wrote:Who you guys like to see as the new coach?

Gregg Popovich
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#80 » by Kobblehead » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:43 am

HankTheTank wrote:The Sixers simply aren’t interested in fixing this if they’re sticking with Brand.

It appears that Brand is getting his personnel say stripped away to pave the way to give the next coach GM powers.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers