ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#301 » by Teffer10 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:23 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:a
Maxi is still a shaky shooter i think his percentage has increased because he now gets wide open looks, he's still a 9 and 5 with no playmaking ability no creating for himself and a mediocre rebounder, thad can be much more effective here, he can be a 14 and 7 guy with better defense

In Maxi's defense in this series, I'd give him somewhat of a pass on inconsistent shooting because of the energy required to try to guard arguably the best player in the league. As we discussed before, his talent isn't at a level to be very successful at stopping that caliber of player much less expecting him to hit 3s on a consistent basis.

He should probably refrain from shooting 3s in this series unless they are leaving him completely wide open as a defensive strategy. If he has time to set he seems to be much more accurate.

If he cant be counted on to guard Kawhi effectively or make open shots then he shouldn't be playing but again that speaks to the horribly built roster donnie has assembled with a bunch of bigs and guards and only one big win in Dorian thats a mediocre defender.

Maxi certainly deserves PT but not 35 mins against the best player in the league.
As JJP stated that isn't his role but we don't have many other options.

The building of our core is a work in progress and the Clips have exposed the primary need for this team in the off-season which is to improve our wing situation on both ends. I'm sure Donnie will address that in some way using our picks and other resources.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#302 » by Pinkyring » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:44 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:In Maxi's defense in this series, I'd give him somewhat of a pass on inconsistent shooting because of the energy required to try to guard arguably the best player in the league. As we discussed before, his talent isn't at a level to be very successful at stopping that caliber of player much less expecting him to hit 3s on a consistent basis.

He should probably refrain from shooting 3s in this series unless they are leaving him completely wide open as a defensive strategy. If he has time to set he seems to be much more accurate.

If he cant be counted on to guard Kawhi effectively or make open shots then he shouldn't be playing but again that speaks to the horribly built roster donnie has assembled with a bunch of bigs and guards and only one big win in Dorian thats a mediocre defender.

Maxi certainly deserves PT but not 35 mins against the best player in the league.

The building of our core is a work in progress and the Clips have exposed the primary need for this team in the off-season which is to improve our wing situation on both ends. I'm sure Donnie will address that in some way using our picks and other resources.

You have a lot more faith in donnie than i do
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#303 » by Darren » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:48 am

Some fans will look at Maxi for 1st pick. I'm in. James Wiseman will give the Mavs unguardable matchup. This type of players fit alongside KP and Doncic the best. We could just find random shooting first speedy guards in 1st / 2nd round for years to come. Even if we nearly empty the roster, we could have one more slot to sign another starter before Wiseman and Doncic's contract is up. We could target elite defender by then. Going big actually ensure the paint protection and rebounding. We could have 2 3D players to fill the starting role so that we could hide Doncic defensively against playoff opponents. Jet-like combo guards are usually available at early 2nd round. Some may even go undrafted. See Barea and FVV. I'd definitely pull the trigger on this one. Kleber, Curry, Brunson, Wright and 18th for 1st pick. We could draft a rotation big with 31st pick. I'm in even if I like Curry a lot.

C - Wiseman / #31 pick / Random Giant who's skilled around the basket
PF - KP / Versatile defender available in 2nd round / Pure spot shooter at 4/5
SF - Doncic / Pure spot shooter at 2/3 / Pure defender at 3/4
SG - 3D player 1 at 3/4/5 / Speedy Combo guard 1 / Pure shooter at 2/3
PG - 3D player 2 at 1/2/3 / Speedy Combo guard 2 / VC-like supersub at 1/2

one of the 3D player could be elite swingman when Powell's contract is up.
Hardaway 18M
DFS 4M
Powell 12M
Boban 2M
=36M before Doncic and Wiseman's extension.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#304 » by arkuo » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:27 am

Darren wrote:Some fans will look at Maxi for 1st pick. I'm in. James Wiseman will give the Mavs unguardable matchup. This type of players fit alongside KP and Doncic the best. We could just find random shooting first speedy guards in 1st / 2nd round for years to come. Even if we nearly empty the roster, we could have one more slot to sign another starter before Wiseman and Doncic's contract is up. We could target elite defender by then. Going big actually ensure the paint protection and rebounding. We could have 2 3D players to fill the starting role so that we could hide Doncic defensively against playoff opponents. Jet-like combo guards are usually available at early 2nd round. Some may even go undrafted. See Barea and FVV. I'd definitely pull the trigger on this one. Kleber, Curry, Brunson, Wright and 18th for 1st pick. We could draft a rotation big with 31st pick. I'm in even if I like Curry a lot.

C - Wiseman / #31 pick / Random Giant who's skilled around the basket
PF - KP / Versatile defender available in 2nd round / Pure spot shooter at 4/5
SF - Doncic / Pure spot shooter at 2/3 / Pure defender at 3/4
SG - 3D player 1 at 3/4/5 / Speedy Combo guard 1 / Pure shooter at 2/3
PG - 3D player 2 at 1/2/3 / Speedy Combo guard 2 / VC-like supersub at 1/2

one of the 3D player could be elite swingman when Powell's contract is up.
Hardaway 18M
DFS 4M
Powell 12M
Boban 2M
=36M before Doncic and Wiseman's extension.

They wont trade the 1st pick for Kleber. C'mon man...
arkuo
General Manager

Post#305 » by arkuo » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:28 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:In Maxi's defense in this series, I'd give him somewhat of a pass on inconsistent shooting because of the energy required to try to guard arguably the best player in the league. As we discussed before, his talent isn't at a level to be very successful at stopping that caliber of player much less expecting him to hit 3s on a consistent basis.

Lack of personnel for defense. With DFS busy too, the next man up after Maxi who is physically as big is already MKG. And you lose 3pt shooting with MKG too.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#306 » by Heezzi » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:28 pm

arkuo wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:If he cant be counted on to guard Kawhi effectively or make open shots then he shouldn't be playing but again that speaks to the horribly built roster donnie has assembled with a bunch of bigs and guards and only one big win in Dorian thats a mediocre defender.

Lack of personnel for defense. With DFS busy too, the next man up after Maxi who is physically as big is already MKG. And you lose 3pt shooting with MKG too.

Edit... Wrong thread.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#307 » by Pointguard01 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:50 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:a
Maxi is still a shaky shooter i think his percentage has increased because he now gets wide open looks, he's still a 9 and 5 with no playmaking ability no creating for himself and a mediocre rebounder, thad can be much more effective here, he can be a 14 and 7 guy with better defense

In Maxi's defense in this series, I'd give him somewhat of a pass on inconsistent shooting because of the energy required to try to guard arguably the best player in the league. As we discussed before, his talent isn't at a level to be very successful at stopping that caliber of player much less expecting him to hit 3s on a consistent basis.

Jesus Christ. Every team in the league struggles to find 3&D players. Look at Portland or Utah or OKC.

It definitely needs to be a focus for us in the offseason, but take a second to just enjoy the playoffs.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#308 » by Pinkyring » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:49 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:

Jesus Christ. Every team in the league struggles to find 3&D players. Look at Portland or Utah or OKC.

It definitely needs to be a focus for us in the offseason, but take a second to just enjoy the playoffs.

What does any of that have to do with my post
swaggerbox
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#309 » by swaggerbox » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:43 pm

by making #18 available, it means that the Mavs: 1) dont see a huge gap in the talent between #18 and #31, or 2) dont want to add guaranteed salary beyond 2021 to preserve cap space or 3) they think that packaging #18 with another player or players could help net them another rotation piece or remove undesirable contracts on the team, or 4) they simply have no room for two or more rookies on the team.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#310 » by arkuo » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:46 pm

swaggerbox wrote:by making #18 available, it means that the Mavs: 1) dont see a huge gap in the talent between #18 and #31, or 2) dont want to add guaranteed salary beyond 2021 to preserve cap space or 3) they think that packaging #18 with another player or players could help net them another rotation piece or remove undesirable contracts on the team, or 4) they simply have no room for two or more rookies on the team.

Delon Wright + 18

For

Josh Richardson
swaggerbox
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#311 » by swaggerbox » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:03 pm

that would be something the mavs should consider. maybe add thybulle too, even if we have to part with #31 and future 2nd rounder.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#312 » by Pinkyring » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:24 pm

arkuo wrote:
swaggerbox wrote:by making #18 available, it means that the Mavs: 1) dont see a huge gap in the talent between #18 and #31, or 2) dont want to add guaranteed salary beyond 2021 to preserve cap space or 3) they think that packaging #18 with another player or players could help net them another rotation piece or remove undesirable contracts on the team, or 4) they simply have no room for two or more rookies on the team.

Delon Wright + 18

For

Josh Richardson

No way in hell philly takes that deal
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#313 » by dirkforpres » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:35 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Delon Wright + 18

For

Josh Richardson

A team with no cap space or PG? I think they actually would take that deal
FIRE JASON KIDD
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#314 » by Pinkyring » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:48 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Delon Wright + 18

For

Josh Richardson

This doesn't give them cap no way in hell they tske a non shooter, Wright just had a dnp for christ sakes. They'd hang up laughing
arkuo
General Manager

Post#315 » by arkuo » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:24 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:No way in hell philly takes that deal

This doesn't give them cap no way in hell they tske a non shooter, Wright just had a dnp for christ sakes. They'd hang up laughing

don't give their management too much credit. These are the same clowns that signed Harris and Horford to $235M combined. That team is capped out and done.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#316 » by Pinkyring » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:49 pm

arkuo wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

don't give their management too much credit. These are the same clowns that signed Harris and Horford to $235M combined. That team is capped out and done.

Ok bud
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#317 » by deb » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:54 pm

Sure, but Horford and Harris were borderline allstars when they were signed, there would be teams that would've given them similar contracts. Wright hasn't even cracked our playoff rotation properly and considering his playing time, his contract looks rather bad. They need shooters to surround Simmons, and Wright is a lot worse a shooter than Richardson. Not to mention Richardson's contract is a rare positive value asset the 76 have, if they move him it will only be as a sweetener to get rid of either Harris or Horford.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#318 » by Pointguard01 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:37 pm

You’d have to get rid of Curry to get Richardson. I’m ok with signing Richardson as a free agent in 2021 but giving up assets like Curry I don’t love.

When I’ve watched Richardson in the playoffs, it’s not obvious to me that he’d play well off the ball. He seems like he needs the ball in his hands a bit more. It could work, but trading Curry (and maybe something else) to get him doesn’t sit well with me.

Also, consider he’ll be getting paid 2x what Curry makes in 2021, and there is no guarantee he resigns, and it becomes a risky move.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#319 » by Mike lorenzo » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:52 pm

maybe White (Sas)
Brunson + # 31 for White
White can defend bring back burke ,if possible.... if you can't .... personally Campazzo is my man
1+1=11
arkuo
General Manager

Post#320 » by arkuo » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:56 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:maybe White (Sas)
Brunson + # 31 for White
White can defend bring back burke if possible if you can't .... personally Campazzo is my man

I think we can basically keep one of Brunson or Burke. Because if you add in Seth, Dallas becomes a very small team. And if you arent making shots, that will be a problem on the defensive end.

My vote is to sign and keep Burke, and use Brunson as a trade chip, packaged with maybe Delon Wright for a usable wing player.

Return to Dallas Mavericks