ImageImageImage

Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,621

Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#1 » by Mik317 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:41 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

You can find more from these find fellows above (Keith also has some stuff)

Seems like Elton is going to stay and reading between the lines the leftovers days are numbered.

He also may be trying to move the buck from the choices.

but if he is true to his word and brings in dudes who know their **** maybe things will work out fine.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 723

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#2 » by Lou_23 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:48 pm

The last time they talked about basketball minds they hired Colangelo.

Brand is terrible, what a terrible hire

Read on Twitter

Surprise!!!!!!!!
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#3 » by BullyKing » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:52 pm

Elton graduated summa cum laude from the Scott O'Neill throwing people under the bus executive management training course.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#4 » by BullyKing » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:53 pm

Lou_23 wrote:The last time they talked about basketball minds they hired Colangelo.

Brand is terrible, what a terrible hire

Read on Twitter

Surprise!!!!!!!!

Just terrifying incompetence all around.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#5 » by Negrodamus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:59 pm

"More basketball minds"... I hope that doesn't mean removing analytical minds.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#6 » by VDT » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:02 pm

Brand needs one more chance. Expect the worst.

Also, did he just used being clueless as an excuse?
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,792

Post#7 » by eyeatoma » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:03 pm

Mik why you creating another thread lol, just keep it in the off-season one bruh.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#8 » by BullyKing » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:06 pm

eyeatoma wrote:Mik why you creating another thread lol, just keep it in the off-season one bruh.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I think its fine to have a separate thread to discuss Brand's reaction to everything but agree that we'll think of ways to streamline the discussions.
NYSixersFan wrote:
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#9 » by sixers hoops » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:20 pm

Elton Brand has had some signature moves with the Sixers. Results are bad.

Trade Cov and Saric for Butler. I loved the trade and thought he good a good deal. It didn’t work out in hindsight and led to us have Hortford for 30 mill as opposed to Cov at 10 mill on his declining value contract.

Shameet, late first, and Miami future first for Tobias. It was ultimately the rights to give Tobias a monster contract. I didn’t like it then, and still don’t.

Fultz trade. He did the best he could getting that mess out of here.

Josh Richardson trade. I loved this trade. He got a great piece for a player leaving anyway. Bad fit with Ben and Joel as he shot way worse than I expected.

Hortford signing. Just dumb. Most baffling of all of his moves.

Mike Scott signing. I was for it, but it didn’t work.

I like his cheap pickups of Ennis, Scott, Burks, GR, etc. He has found some backend rotation players.

I think just the fact that he struggles to identify players who fit with Embiid and Simmons make him a horrible choice to keep on for the job.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#10 » by BullyKing » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:25 pm

sixers hoops wrote:Elton Brand has had some signature moves with the Sixers. Results are bad.

Trade Cov and Saric for Butler. I loved the trade and thought he good a good deal. It didn’t work out in hindsight and led to us have Hortford for 30 mill as opposed to Cov at 10 mill on his declining value contract.

Shameet, late first, and Miami future first for Tobias. It was ultimately the rights to give Tobias a monster contract. I didn’t like it then, and still don’t.

Fultz trade. He did the best he could getting that mess out of here.

Josh Richardson trade. I loved this trade. He got a great piece for a player leaving anyway. Bad fit with Ben and Joel as he shot way worse than I expected.

Hortford signing. Just dumb. Most baffling of all of his moves.

Mike Scott signing. I was for it, but it didn’t work.

I like his cheap pickups of Ennis, Scott, Burks, GR, etc. He has found some backend rotation players.

I think just the fact that he struggles to identify players who fit with Embiid and Simmons make him a horrible choice to keep on for the job.

The problem for me is that so many of these mistakes were obvious at the outset. I'm with you on Richardson - I understood the move and was shocked myself at how poorly he played with Embiid and Simmons.

But the Harris trade was baffling from the start and the second I heard Horford was leaving the Celtics for that deal I prayed it wasn't us dumb enough to do it (narrator: we were). So this isn't like some 20/20 hindsight - these moves were dumb at the time and just happened to ultimately be worse than even we imagined. Other than showing some ability to draft players late in the 1st, Brand has been an unmitigated disaster at every level.
NYSixersFan wrote:
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#11 » by Arsenal » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:25 pm

CLOWN SHOW
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#12 » by Negrodamus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:26 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I suppose that means we’re keeping Horford. I’m thinking Brand “runs it back”, lol. I won’t watch next season if that’s the plan.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#13 » by Arsenal » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:26 pm

Elton Brand picking the coach means we have NO CHANCE of getting anyone good.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#14 » by Arsenal » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:27 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I suppose that means we’re keeping Horford. I’m thinking Brand “runs it back”, lol. I won’t watch next season if that’s the plan.

God I hope he's just posturing for Al's trade value. Though I have a sickening feeling he actually believes this.
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,155

Post#15 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:32 pm

Elton, I swear to god. You better look to trade both Tobias AND AL.

Edit: If he’s truly gonna ask Ben and Jo about what they think, I’m sure they’ll both say AL isn’t a fit. I’m not sure they’ll say the same about Tobias though.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#16 » by BullyKing » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:38 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

God I hope he's just posturing for Al's trade value. Though I have a sickening feeling he actually believes this.

He sort of has to say this because the truthful answer of "well I signed these guys enormous contracts just a year ago and both are pretty untradeable as I traded all of the assets I could have otherwise used to upgrade them already" isn't that great either.
NYSixersFan wrote:
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,155

Post#17 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:50 pm

If he’s solely choosing the coach, I think Cassell has a real shot here.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#18 » by Sixersftw » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:13 pm

Negrodamus wrote:"More basketball minds"... I hope that doesn't mean removing analytical minds.

I think that's clearly the direction that this team is going towards.

Harris tried an analytical mind and all it got him was an unprecedented number of picks, 1 all nba level player, 1 additional all star, a half a dozen solid rotation pieces and all the optionality that stuff affords you. However, his kid got made fun of at school and Dave Silver threw a hissy fit so he said **** it and we have been slowly regressing back to the dark ages ever since.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#19 » by BullyKing » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:23 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:"More basketball minds"... I hope that doesn't mean removing analytical minds.

I think that's clearly the direction that this team is going towards.

Harris tried an analytical mind and all it got him was an unprecedented number of picks, 1 all nba level player, 1 additional all star, a half a dozen solid rotation pieces and all the optionality that stuff affords you. However, his kid got made fun of at school and Dave Silver threw a hissy fit so he said **** it and we have been slowly regressing back to the dark ages ever since.

I think the problem wasn't relying on analytics but that post-Hinkie the people at the top don't understand analytics. So they take analysis like 3s and shots at the rim are the best value shots in the game and say "hey, if shots at the rim are so great why don't we try playing four power forwards at once!"
NYSixersFan wrote:
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#20 » by VDT » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:52 pm

No need to analyze what he said. It is just an excuse. They said the same when they brought Colangelo. The fact that he tries to argue that he , as a GM, is not responsible for this mess is ridiculous and defies any logic. At this point i think he just says random things just to keep the discussion away from him. One has to be an idiot to believe that it is everyone else's fault and that the GM had no role in that.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers