ImageImageImage

Jay Wright ?(update)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Re: Jay Wright ? (Jeff Goodman) 

Post#21 » by Sixersftw » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:36 pm

the_process wrote:Still holding out hope Morey gets fired. And if I have to have a Van Gundy coach this team... please let it be Jeff and not Stan.

I don't think Morey would come here after the ownership group **** Sam.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#22 » by ankle420breaker » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:40 pm

Assuming Jay has no interest, Sam Cassel and Jerry Stackhouse are two non retread guys who may be worth considering.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#23 » by Kobblehead » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:03 pm

I wonder if Mark Few would consider making the jump.

He's arguably the best coach in college basketball and created a powerhouse out of a mid-major in Gonzaga.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#24 » by Kobblehead » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:04 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Assuming Jay has no interest, Sam Cassel and Jerry Stackhouse are two non retread guys who may be worth considering.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

I dunno about him. Vanderbilt was 11-21 this year and had one of the worst defenses in the country.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,490

Post#25 » by elchengue20 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:40 pm

I don't follow college basketball much. Can anyone describe his coaching style/system?
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#26 » by Kobblehead » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:44 pm

elchengue20 wrote:I don't follow college basketball much. Can anyone describe his coaching style/system?

Motion offense, 4 out 1 in. Pretty much perfectly suited to maximize Embiid.

He's like a suave Steve Kerr without the douchbaggery in terms of personality. Could just as easily fill a front office role as he could on the bench as the head coach. He should be named president of basketball ops and head coach ASAP.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#27 » by Kobblehead » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:51 pm

Jerry Colangelo has been grooming Wright for years during USA Basketball. If the old man is still shadow running the Sixers, he'll get the job.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,132

Post#28 » by Arsenal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:53 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Jerry Colangelo has been grooming Wright for years during USA Basketball. If the old man is still shadow running the Sixers, he'll get the job.

He's more likely badmouthing the Sixers after the way his idiot kid flamed out.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,490

Post#29 » by elchengue20 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:07 am

Kobblehead wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:I don't follow college basketball much. Can anyone describe his coaching style/system?

Motion offense, 4 out 1 in. Pretty much perfectly suited to maximize Embiid.

He's like a suave Steve Kerr without the douchbaggery in terms of personality. Could just as easily fill a front office role as he could on the bench as the head coach. He should be named president of basketball ops and head coach ASAP.

So you think that getting him would mean that most likely we are going to build around Embiid and trade Simmons?
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,538

Post#30 » by SixthStreet » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:37 am

Sixersftw wrote:
the_process wrote:Still holding out hope Morey gets fired. And if I have to have a Van Gundy coach this team... please let it be Jeff and not Stan.

The Rockets owner, Tillman Fertitta, is a restaurant/retail mogul who's finances were always highly leveraged. Covid has absolutely destroyed his balance sheet. Their standing as China's team obviously was also impacted by Morey's Hong Kong comments which created a big revenue loss. He may be the single most penny pinching owner in the NBA moving forward. That team is absolutely screwed once Harden is out of his prime. Reportedly, Fertitta has already vetoed deals that Morey has wanted to do which were wins at the margins because of relatively minor salary cap implications.

I'm sure Morey will want out sooner than later. Whether that is this offseason is up for debate but the time is coming for him to be poached. Our ownership's demotion of Hinkie to install Colangelo probably would factor into Morey's decision making as he'd probably have a choice of jobs.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,712

Post#31 » by the_process » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:49 am

Kobblehead wrote:Jerry Colangelo has been grooming Wright for years during USA Basketball. If the old man is still shadow running the Sixers, he'll get the job.

Old Man Jerry had a falling out with the whole franchise during Burnergate. He wouldn't recommend anyone coming here.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,132

Post#32 » by Arsenal » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:16 pm

SixthStreet wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:

The Rockets owner, Tillman Fertitta, is a restaurant/retail mogul who's finances were always highly leveraged. Covid has absolutely destroyed his balance sheet. Their standing as China's team obviously was also impacted by Morey's Hong Kong comments which created a big revenue loss. He may be the single most penny pinching owner in the NBA moving forward. That team is absolutely screwed once Harden is out of his prime. Reportedly, Fertitta has already vetoed deals that Morey has wanted to do which were wins at the margins because of relatively minor salary cap implications.

I'm sure Morey will want out sooner than later. Whether that is this offseason is up for debate but the time is coming for him to be poached. Our ownership's demotion of Hinkie to install Colangelo probably would factor into Morey's decision making as he'd probably have a choice of jobs.

Two problems:

1) These clowns just elevated Elton Brand to sole decision maker. Would look bad for them to immediately replace him w/Morey so its definitely NOT HAPPENING this year.

2) Morey and Hinkie are super tight. Morey likely has ZERO RESPECT for that cowardly little rat Josh Harris for the way they turned on Hinkie and pushed him out.

So even though we can dream, I'd be absolutely shocked if we ever landed Daryl Morey.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,712

Post#33 » by the_process » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:38 pm

Arsenal wrote:
SixthStreet wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:I don't think Morey would come here after the ownership group **** Sam.

Two problems:

1) These clowns just elevated Elton Brand to sole decision maker. Would look bad for them to immediately replace him w/Morey so its definitely NOT HAPPENING this year.

2) Morey and Hinkie are super tight. Morey likely has ZERO RESPECT for that cowardly little rat Josh Harris for the way they turned on Hinkie and pushed him out.

So even though we can dream, I'd be absolutely shocked if we ever landed Daryl Morey.

Yes it does seem that the FO restructuring means Elton is running the whole show. Not great.
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#34 » by fl311 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:48 pm

Brand is highly respected and actually liked by lots of people in NBA. Sure some of this is on him being in charge, but dont think for one second that the problems on this team are his fault.

I've said this over and over again, Josh Harris is 100% at fault. It was his decision to move Jimmy. Not Brett, not Brand. It was his decision to trade for Jimmy and Tobias in the first place.

We will see in the coming months if he realizes this (highly unlikely), but any changes in the FO will be meaningless if there is not someone hired above Elton to run everything.
mhunt
Rookie
And1: 172

Post#35 » by mhunt » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:34 pm

fl311 wrote:Brand is highly respected and actually liked by lots of people in NBA. Sure some of this is on him being in charge, but dont think for one second that the problems on this team are his fault.

I've said this over and over again, Josh Harris is 100% at fault. It was his decision to move Jimmy. Not Brett, not Brand. It was his decision to trade for Jimmy and Tobias in the first place.

We will see in the coming months if he realizes this (highly unlikely), but any changes in the FO will be meaningless if there is not someone hired above Elton to run everything.

Unfortunately, very few people have that sort of self awareness.
Hearing anything about possible coaching candidates or roster moves that haven't already been rumored?
fl311
Senior

Post#36 » by fl311 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:45 pm

mhunt wrote:
fl311 wrote:Brand is highly respected and actually liked by lots of people in NBA. Sure some of this is on him being in charge, but dont think for one second that the problems on this team are his fault.

Hearing anything about possible coaching candidates or roster moves that haven't already been rumored?

I put this in the other thread:

I am still around and figured I’d pop back in.

There are currently a lot of moving pieces. I’ve heard that everyone in FO but Brand could go, to only a few being fired and Brand running things. If the former were to happen they would bring in a high level executive to run everything with Brand under them. I’m highly skeptical that happens and expect just a few changes.

Regarding the coach, unfortunately I’ve been hearing Ty Lue for a few weeks if he doesn’t get Nets job. They’ll reach out to Jay Wright but I don’t expect much from that conversation.

Horford is the likelier trade candidate over Harris but they would still need to attach other assets to rid themselves of his contract. Harris is almost as untradeable as John Wall.

Jo is just frustrated with the team around him and this offseason will go a long way to determine whether he wants out.
mhunt
Rookie
And1: 172

Post#37 » by mhunt » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:48 pm

fl311 wrote:
mhunt wrote:

I put this in the other thread:

I am still around and figured I’d pop back in.

There are currently a lot of moving pieces. I’ve heard that everyone in FO but Brand could go, to only a few being fired and Brand running things. If the former were to happen they would bring in a high level executive to run everything with Brand under them. I’m highly skeptical that happens and expect just a few changes.

Regarding the coach, unfortunately I’ve been hearing Ty Lue for a few weeks if he doesn’t get Nets job. They’ll reach out to Jay Wright but I don’t expect much from that conversation.

Horford is the likelier trade candidate over Harris but they would still need to attach other assets to rid themselves of his contract. Harris is almost as untradeable as John Wall.

Jo is just frustrated with the team around him and this offseason will go a long way to determine whether he wants out.

Thanks, man. Appreciate the info.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#38 » by Sixersftw » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:49 pm

fl311 wrote:I am still around and figured I’d pop back in.

Thanks as always for the info man.

Looks like a lot of moving parts and while I'm not thrilled about Brand, it's imperative that the Colangelo remnants are purged. Hopefully Lue gets that nets job and we are forced to be a little more creative.

Has Jo communicated what he wants around him or just general frustration?
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
fl311
Senior

Post#39 » by fl311 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:57 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
fl311 wrote:I am still around and figured I’d pop back in.

Thanks as always for the info man.

Looks like a lot of moving parts and while I'm not thrilled about Brand, it's imperative that the Colangelo remnants are purged. Hopefully Lue gets that nets job and we are forced to be a little more creative.

Has Jo communicated what he wants around him or just general frustration?

Mostly general frustration right now but trying to get a little more info on that.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,674

Post#40 » by stormi » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:57 pm

Morey + Jay Wright. Sixers are back

Return to Philadelphia 76ers