ImageImageImage

Sixers new HC search thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Sixers new HC search thread 

Post#1 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:44 pm

Well Brown has officially gone and we need a new head coach...So I figured we might aswell have a thread where we can debate and put all the speculation about our potential new head coach in one place.

Names that have been rumoured to interest the sixers thus far

Ty Lue
Jay Wright
Dave Joerger
Ime Udoka
Mike Brown

Other possible potential candidates

Kenny Atkinson
Wes Unseld JR
Sam Cassell
Adrian Griffin
Becky Hammond
Charles Lee
Maurice Cheeks
Darvin Ham
Pat Delany
Willie Green
Jarron Collins
Jason Kidd
Stephen Silas

There's a good chance our next coach will be someone from these lists tbh...but yall feel free to add some more names and discuss their potential fit with the organisation.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,795

Re: Sixers new HC search thread 

Post#2 » by Negrodamus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:47 pm

Could you imagine if we brought back Mo Cheeks? I'd probably die laughing.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#3 » by VDT » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:56 pm

Probably worst coach opening in the league. I dont see how a coach that has other options or at least has aspirations would come here.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#4 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:03 pm

VDT wrote:Probably worst coach opening in the league. I dont see how a coach that has other options or at least has aspirations would come here.

LOL yes the Bulls job is soooooooo much better!!...right? :lol: :lol:
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#5 » by davesilver » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:05 pm

Seems like an incredible opportunity for a coach. Ability to mold a team around two young stars for a city that is yearning for success. If a coach doesn’t want to take on the challenge that comes with this team, then I’m not sure they’re a good NBA coach
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#6 » by rzzzzz » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:16 pm

davesilver wrote:Seems like an incredible opportunity for a coach. Ability to mold a team around two young stars for a city that is yearning for success. If a coach doesn’t want to take on the challenge that comes with this team, then I’m not sure they’re a good NBA coach

right on. Ben was figuring stuff out after the break, and Biid couldn't be clearer about losing heart after last year's moves, which, in part, had to do with our now ex-coach. i just don't know if our front office is capable of figuring out the next Brad Stevens, etc. but someone with some degree of savvy could build on the actual talent and encourage some enthusiasm.
Dnt hate
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Post#7 » by Dnt hate » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:57 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:Well Brown has officially gone and we need a new head coach...So I figured we might aswell have a thread where we can debate and put all the speculation about our potential new head coach in one place.

Names that have been rumoured to interest the sixers thus far

Ty Lue
Jay Wright
Dave Joerger
Ime Udoka
Mike Brown

Other possible potential candidates

Kenny Atkinson
Wes Unseld JR
Sam Cassell
Adrian Griffin
Becky Hammond
Charles Lee
Maurice Cheeks
Darvin Ham
Pat Delany
Willie Green
Jarron Collins
Jason Kidd
Stephen Silas

There's a good chance our next coach will be someone from these lists tbh...but yall feel free to add some more names and discuss their potential fit with the organisation.

Whoever we get we need to copy the lakers model and get respected retired player and ex coach, jay wright with cassell and and mike brown or joeger as assistants
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,859

Post#8 » by Stanford » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:11 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:Names that have been rumoured to interest the sixers thus far

Wes Unseld JR

Did the world's first septuple take on this one.
HankTheTank
Pro Prospect
And1: 558

Post#9 » by HankTheTank » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:20 am

We need a thinker, a strategist, someone who’s not just a cheerleader. Someone who can match wits with Stevens and Nurse. Charles Lee intrigues me. Has paid his dues as a fringe nba player, highly regarded for his brain. I think Chris Finch, while older, is another who fits that mold.
*GENIUS*
Hinkie graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 GPA from the Univ of Oklahoma and was named one of the top-60 undergrad students in the nation by USA TODAY. He holds an MBA from Stanford, graduating with highest honors as an Arjay Miller Scholar.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#10 » by Simmons25 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:48 am

rzzzzz wrote:
davesilver wrote:Seems like an incredible opportunity for a coach. Ability to mold a team around two young stars for a city that is yearning for success. If a coach doesn’t want to take on the challenge that comes with this team, then I’m not sure they’re a good NBA coach

right on. Ben was figuring stuff out after the break, and Biid couldn't be clearer about losing heart after last year's moves, which, in part, had to do with our now ex-coach. i just don't know if our front office is capable of figuring out the next Brad Stevens, etc. but someone with some degree of savvy could build on the actual talent and encourage some enthusiasm.

In which part was BB partly responsible for Butler or Redick leaving?

After watching the Butler and JJ podcast where they talk about leaving Philly... the impression I got that was that JJ loved Brett... but that his time was up and he ended up chasing more money at the Pelicans that the 76ers could possibly pay and that Butler didn't respect BB at all... but that the reason he left was that he had heard that upper management (GM,Owners) had asked Brett the question as to whether Butler could be kept in line... and that question even being asked insulted Butler.

I don't think Butler was ever coming back to be honest and wanted to go to Miami all along. I think BB got shafted by a poorly put together team. He had no chance of making that work. Having said that Brett Browns time was up anyway.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#11 » by Negrodamus » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:50 am

Is the Spurs connection destroyed enough for us to not reach out to Tim Duncan? I could see Brand wanting to hit him up as HC to mentor Embiid and Simmons.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#12 » by Simmons25 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:52 am

I am not sure Embiid and Simmons can work together unless they get 3 outside shooters/scorers to surround themselves with... but given that they are both coming back they need a hard nosed coach that is not going to take s#1t from anyone.

Simmons is a mental midget that badly needs a coach that will hold him accountable... he even admits as much.. which is pathetic in my opinion.... and Embiid is a sook that needs a coach to come down hard on him and challenge him.

We need a Popovich... but that probably isn't going to happen.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#13 » by Negrodamus » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:22 am

Read on Twitter

Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,806

Post#14 » by Mik317 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:54 am

that would be Eddie Jordan 2020 edition
#NeverGonnaBeGood
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Post#15 » by 76ciology » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:07 am

My top 2 picks now

1.)SVG
- coached Wade and D12, both comparable to Biid and Ben
- went to the finals
- has the heart for redemption (i’d love to see Biid, Ben and SVG to be driven)
- turned role players into stars or borderline stars like turkoglu, jameer and rashard

2.) Lue
- has the direct contact to Bron so Ben may listen to him
- championship experience

I like SVG as a coach than Lue. I think most people would compare Biid to D12. But I think he’s more comparable to Ben. Dwight was a poorly skilled offensive player. But SVG put him into positions to excel. Like running the PnR with Jameer to max his combination of size and athleticism. Magic dont just dump the ball for post plays. They run PnR. This is why Jameer made the allstar team.

If you watch today’s game, It’s more of actions than sets. So maybe Lue is better with this.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#16 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:47 am

Negrodamus wrote:Is the Spurs connection destroyed enough for us to not reach out to Tim Duncan? I could see Brand wanting to hit him up as HC to mentor Embiid and Simmons.
Thought about this, just can't see Duncan ever leaving San Antonio.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#17 » by mithrandir17 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:55 am

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Are we going to test all of the Brown coaches and see who sticks?
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 661

Post#18 » by Monix » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:22 pm

Sam Cassell

respected former player, experienced assistant, played with Brand
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#19 » by rzzzzz » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:20 pm

Simmons25 wrote:
I don't think Butler was ever coming back to be honest and wanted to go to Miami all along. I think BB got shafted by a poorly put together team. He had no chance of making that work. Having said that Brett Browns time was up anyway.

i don't think either one of us was in the room to know for sure. But Keith's article about Brett wanting Jimmy "controlled" and Jimmy wanting no part of that rings true to me. and this was after Jimmy saying he had no problems with anybody here, and his family wanted him to stay in Philly. (for the max $). and Embiid didn't say he was bitter about Jimmy taking off on his own. he said he and Jimmy were tight, and he was bummed to the max that they didn't keep him. ymmv
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#20 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:44 pm

Id rather throw a Tim Legler hail mary than bring in most of these retread names being tossed around.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Philadelphia 76ers