ImageImageImage

Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,560

Re: Elton Speaks:Look into the Future; Death of the Colab? 

Post#41 » by FireMorey » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:16 pm

For those of you who are assessing your fandom, there's nothing wrong with that. People will guilt you for it for not being a true fan. And there's nothing "wrong" with continuing to support them either if you are so inclined. This is sports, it's for fun. But if you aren't having fun watching and you'd rather do other things with your time that doesn't mean you are no longer a fan. It just means you are putting it on hiatus until they're worth supporting again. However, I do think there is an objectively better course of action to promote change. And I can't tell you Josh Harris will care one way or the other. But I know for damn sure he won't care if the building is packed every night and the TV ratings are high.

If fans stop going to games and the TV ratings tank only increases the chances Josh Harris makes significant organizational changes, or sells the team by a mere 5%, then I think it's better than nothing.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,661

Post#42 » by Negrodamus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:18 pm

BullyKing wrote:
I should be congratulating him for spending two first round picks, Shamet, and $300 million to do that?

He picked Thybulle that was nice (would have been nicer if managed to run a tighter ship and our interest didn't leak out and cost us another pick). What else am I missing in his "pro" column?

Brand can't be held responsible for anything unless it worked out for the Sixers (Thybulle). Also, $280 million for Tobias and Al is actually a good thing!
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#43 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:23 pm

BullyKing wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
So your argument in support of Brand is that he actually admits that his tenure has been a complete failure but claims that its someone else's fault. Good thing you decided to scream in all caps because otherwise I would think that is one of the most hilariously unpersuasive arguments I've ever heard.

His "tenure" being ONE OFFSEASON and ONE DRAFT? Wow that's a lifetime if I ever saw it. The bottom line is he was clearly not given the same amount of power other GM's hold in the league...his latest statements seem to suggest that's changed now though so we'll see how he does. Jerry West just sold the farm for Paul George!!..but hey!!..let's run EB out of town because he played a part in signing a 20 ppg wing and a veteran C who could cover for Joel!!...how could we ever forgive him? :D

I should be congratulating him for spending two first round picks, Shamet, and $300 million to do that?

He picked Thybulle that was nice (would have been nicer if managed to run a tighter ship and our interest didn't leak out and cost us another pick). What else am I missing in his "pro" column?

JERRY WEST gave up Shai, Gallinari and FIVE FIRST ROUND PICKS for Paul George!!...Jerry, who has been around for decades and is often hailed as the "greatest GM ever" may have made potentially the WORST trade ever if PG doesn't get his ass in order. Also the mighty Danny Ainge sold the farm to attain Kyrie Irving only to see Kyrie walk out for free. Even the very best GM's have had bad trades. And imo our trade for Harris is nowhere near as bad as those two look. Brand's Butler trade was top class...bringing in Burks was an impressive move too. Young GM's are not gonna be without errors...especially when you see what veterans like West and Ainge have done recently...but IMO Brand has shown very good potential and I'm looking forward to seeing what he will do in this current situation.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#44 » by BullyKing » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:25 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

Brand can't be held responsible for anything unless it worked out for the Sixers (Thybulle). Also, $280 million for Tobias and Al is actually a good thing!

We're being unfair and forgetting what is honestly probably his second best move which was getting a 2nd for James Ennis. Start clearing the shelves for those executive of the year trophies.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#45 » by BullyKing » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:26 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
His "tenure" being ONE OFFSEASON and ONE DRAFT? Wow that's a lifetime if I ever saw it. The bottom line is he was clearly not given the same amount of power other GM's hold in the league...his latest statements seem to suggest that's changed now though so we'll see how he does. Jerry West just sold the farm for Paul George!!..but hey!!..let's run EB out of town because he played a part in signing a 20 ppg wing and a veteran C who could cover for Joel!!...how could we ever forgive him? :D

JERRY WEST gave up Shai, Gallinari and FIVE FIRST ROUND PICKS for Paul George!!...Jerry, who has been around for decades and is often hailed as the "greatest GM ever" may have made potentially the WORST trade ever if PG doesn't get his ass in order. Also the mighty Danny Ainge sold the farm to attain Kyrie Irving only to see Kyrie walk out for free. Even the very best GM's have had bad trades. And imo our trade for Harris is nowhere near as bad as those two look. Brand's Butler trade was top class...bringing in Burks was an impressive move too. Young GM's are not gonna be without errors...especially when you see what veterans like West and Ainge have done recently...but IMO Brand has shown very good potential and I'm looking forward to seeing what he will do in this current situation.

He made that trade because it is also what landed him Kawhi Leonard - sort of a big part of it. But stop ignoring the question and tell why Brand has shown very good potential. Which of his moves to date would you rank as positive and which as negative?
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#46 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:31 pm

BullyKing wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

He made that trade because it is also what landed him Kawhi Leonard - sort of a big part of it. But stop ignoring the question and tell why Brand has shown very good potential. Which of his moves to date would you rank as positive and which as negative?

LOL oh look!!!..he's now making excuses for Jerry West!!!..what a surprise :D . Tobias was a key part of a team who had gone 15-2 when they played together in the regular season and also took the Raptors to the very last shot of game seven!!...but according to Brand's detractors we should have just let Tobi walk out the door with no viable replacement left out there to get!!..yep I'm sure folks would have loved him doing that on deadline day.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#47 » by BullyKing » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:33 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

LOL oh look!!!..he's now making excuses for Jerry West!!!..what a surprise :D . Tobias was a key part of a team who had gone 15-2 when they played together in the regular season and also took the Raptors to the very last shot of game seven!!...but according to Brand's detractors we should have just let Tobi walk out the door with no viable replacement left out there to get!!..yep I'm sure folks would have loved him doing that on deadline day.

Who's making excuses for Jerry West? His team, unlike Elton's, is still playing. West used his assets to get Kawhi and George. Elton used his assets to get Harris and Horford. This is the hill you want to die on?

And the problem wasn't resigning Harris as much as it was acquiring him in the first place which gave Harris all the leverage in the world to extract a ridiculous contract from the Sixers - you know, what ended up happening.
NYSixersFan wrote:
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#48 » by Negrodamus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:37 pm

Imagine thinking Tobias was instrumental in pushing us to 7 against Kawhi's Raptors. We went to 7 in spite of his play.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#49 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:37 pm

BullyKing wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

Who's making excuses for Jerry West? His team, unlike Elton's, is still playing. West used his assets to get Kawhi and George. Elton used his assets to get Harris and Horford. This is the hill you want to die on?

And the problem wasn't resigning Harris as much as it was acquiring him in the first place which gave Harris all the leverage in the world to extract a ridiculous contract from the Sixers - you know, what ended up happening.

Yes West's FULLY HEALTHY team are still playing and STRUGGLING against a low seed!!..BRILLIANT. But if PG continues to struggle you would be absolutely NUTS to suggest Brand's trade for Harris is worse than George!!..the moral of the story is EVEN THE BEST GM'S CAN GET IT WRONG...that's what you can't seem to comprehend.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#50 » by BullyKing » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:38 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

Yes West's FULLY HEALTHY team are still playing and STRUGGLING against a low seed!!..BRILLIANT. But if PG continues to struggle you would be absolutely NUTS to suggest Brand's trade for Harris is worse than George!!..the moral of the story is EVEN THE BEST GM'S CAN GET IT WRONG...that's what you can't seem to comprehend.

Then for the third time - what has Brand gotten right in his tenure?
NYSixersFan wrote:
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#51 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:39 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Image

Imagine thinking Tobias was instrumental in pushing us to 7 against Kawhi's Raptors. We went to 7 in spite of his play.

And what was Joel, Ben and JJ's stats compared to Tobi's? Care to share them too? 8-)
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#52 » by Negrodamus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:40 pm

So did Brand get it wrong, since we're comparing it to the "WORST trade ever" with Paul George, or was it a good trade/signing? Feels like we're all over the spectrum here.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#53 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:46 pm

BullyKing wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

You mean his tenure where he's had one offseason and one draft whilst surrounded by the last GM's people?

Butler trade
Matisse Pick
Fultz trade
Ennis trade
Burks pick-up

The Horford signing is a minus whilst the Harris trade can seen in many different ways. We gave away a bench player who can't defend and two picks that never amounted to anything....all for a guy who was a 26 year old mismatch who gets 20ppg and was shooting the three above 40%. And that trade helped to create a team many called the best starting five in the entire league. So all in all the guy hasn't done bad imo and can only get better with more experience.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#54 » by VDT » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:52 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

You mean his tenure where he's had one offseason and one draft whilst surrounded by the last GM's people?

Butler trade
Matisse Pick
Fultz trade
Ennis trade
Burks pick-up

The Horford signing is a minus whilst the Harris trade can seen in many different ways. We gave away a bench player who can't defend and two picks that never amounted to anything....all for a guy who was a 26 year old mismatch who gets 20ppg and was shooting the three above 40%. And that trade helped to create a team many called the best starting five in the entire league. So all in all the guy hasn't done bad imo and can only get better with more experience.

You literally sound like you are Brand's wife/ relative with all this blind support for someone that is responsible for the situation the team is in. Even a paid employee would be more subtle in his support for Brand. In he end all his major moves were colossal failures, and his only excuse is that he didnt know what he was doing or tries to shift the blame to everyone else.
NYSixersFan
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#55 » by NYSixersFan » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:01 pm

Brand said Tobias had a great regular season...what was he watching?
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#56 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:03 pm

Don’t feed the troll.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#57 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:04 pm

VDT wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

Butler trade
Matisse Pick
Fultz trade
Ennis trade
Burks pick-up

You literally sound like you are Brand's wife/ relative with all this blind support for someone that is responsible for the situation the team is in. Even a paid employee would be more subtle in his support for Brand. In he end all his major moves were colossal failures, and his only excuse is that he didnt know what he was doing or tries to shift the blame to everyone else.

Yep...just like I thought. Put FACTS on the table and all the Brand detractors can do is to spout untruths and...

SMH!!
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#58 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:05 pm

NYSixersFan wrote:Brand said Tobias had a great regular season...what was he watching?

Yep...20 ppg is clearly a "bad year".
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#59 » by Negrodamus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:10 pm

Oh, he's a point counter. Abort argument.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#60 » by BullyKing » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:11 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

Butler trade
Matisse Pick
Fultz trade
Ennis trade
Burks pick-up

I wish you had the self-awareness to look at your own list and think about the implications. You give him credit for the Butler trade but that was in retrospect a colossal failure because having Covington still is more valuable than how it ended up with Butler. Matisse was fine but again serious concerns with the process of getting there. Then 40% of your list are minor trades involving second round picks and another 20% is one where everyone in the world, and I guarantee Elton as well, thought it only involves second round picks.

But you're right in the end. Getting a second round pick for Ennis totally makes up for all of the 1sts and hundreds of millions of dollars that he lit on fire.
NYSixersFan wrote:

Return to Philadelphia 76ers