Prospect Thread: Tyrese Haliburton

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Re: Prospect Thread: Tyrese Haliburton 

Post#41 » by BigSlam » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:18 pm

I think comparing him to guys like Hill and Wright etc is SERIOUSLY underselling his floor leadership/passing abilities.

He’s a real floor general - those other guys are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,734

Post#42 » by Diop » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:02 am

BigSlam wrote:I think comparing him to guys like Hill and Wright etc is SERIOUSLY underselling his floor leadership/passing abilities.

He’s a real floor general - those other guys are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s what I wanted to hear!
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#43 » by LofJ » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:20 am

He seems a lot like Andre Miller to me. If you're Haliburton you take that and run, not many guys stick in the league for two decades.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#44 » by KingCat » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:02 am

I hate to be the one to have a negative opinion on the guy who appears to be the fan bases favorite but here we go.

I don't think he will be much of a player on the next level. Not much of an athlete. Kinda slow. He struggles to size up big men at a college level which is really scary considering he will have to go against freaks like Bam Adebayo in the NBA, and in today's era switching and being able to make plays against big man is a essential skill to have. He is also gonna have a lot of trouble getting jump shots off in the NBA because of his weird shooting form.

I just don't see it in him. I think he is gonna be a Kris Dunn like player on the next level
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#45 » by 316Hornets » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:36 am

The biggest aspect that I like about Haliburton is I think he is a phenomenal fit next to Devonte and PJ. His length allows him to guard multiple positions and he's a smart player that waits for his shot.

I do worry that if we choose Haliburton, we might be setting Devonte up to fail as he'll have to play a Kemba-like role. But, I figure this is a rebuild and allowing Devonte to carry a ultra high usage could allow us to evaluate him and decide on how much to pay him after the season.

If we're talking ceiling, I'm not sure there is a good comparison. Maybe a slightly shorter Ben Simmons with a 3 ball?
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#46 » by DY_nasty » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:56 am

he's got nothing in common with simmons
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 962

Post#47 » by wilson115 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:11 am

He looks so good in the highlights you just have to figure out a role for a player like this. Maybe if they pin down his measurements, a 7-foot wingspan makes up for a lot of things.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by 316Hornets » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:19 am

DY_nasty wrote:he's got nothing in common with simmons

That's a poor take. They are both strong defensive point guards with length.

A quick look at the stats

2019-20 Simmons 16.4 ppg, 7.8 rebounds, 8 assists, 2.1 steals, 3.5 turnovers - usage 20.9%
2019-20 Haliburton 15.2 ppg, 5.9 rebounds, 6.5 assists, 2.5 steals, 2.8 turnovers - usage 20.1%

Nothing in common, huh?
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by 316Hornets » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:33 am

DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#50 » by DY_nasty » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:22 pm

316Hornets wrote:

2019-20 Simmons 16.4 ppg, 7.8 rebounds, 8 assists, 2.1 steals, 3.5 turnovers - usage 20.9%
2019-20 Haliburton 15.2 ppg, 5.9 rebounds, 6.5 assists, 2.5 steals, 2.8 turnovers - usage 20.1%

Nothing in common, huh?

Simmons is one of the best athletes in the NBA - Haliburton will NEVER be that

Hell, you can't even say that Haliburton's length will let him guard multiple positions because he's nowhere near strong enough for it and won't be for at least another 3 years.

There's numbers then there's flat out common sense man. No one is bouncing off of Tyrese when he drives to the paint... I guess they have the fact they are measured by numbers in common and play basketball and have light skin - but that's where it ends. Hell, Tyrese is good catch and shoot guy with pretty legit range. Wow. Its like they're the same person :roll:
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#51 » by BlackOutBuzz » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:29 pm

Haliburton's reported measurables are just wild:

6'5"
7' wingspan
...175 pounds?

Like, without context I'd be shocked to hear that was a top 7-ish NBA prospect.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by 316Hornets » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:21 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
316Hornets wrote:

Nothing in common, huh?

Hell, you can't even say that Haliburton's length will let him guard multiple positions because he's nowhere near strong enough for it and won't be for at least another 3 years.

There's numbers then there's flat out common sense man. No one is bouncing off of Tyrese when he drives to the paint... I guess they have the fact they are measured by numbers in common and play basketball and have light skin - but that's where it ends. Hell, Tyrese is good catch and shoot guy with pretty legit range. Wow. Its like they're the same person :roll:

Alright strawman.

Dude is shooting from almost half court but has no strength :lol:
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by 316Hornets » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:34 pm

JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,143

Post#54 » by JMAC3 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:10 am

Seems like somebody the Bulls draft and then realize he isn’t much better than Tomas Satoransky.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#55 » by DY_nasty » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:30 am

316Hornets wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:
316Hornets wrote:

Nothing in common, huh?

Alright strawman.

if you think range is indicative of the strength on ben simmons level you're crazy
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by 316Hornets » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:30 am

DY_nasty wrote:
316Hornets wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:Simmons is one of the best athletes in the NBA - Haliburton will NEVER be that

Alright strawman.

if you think range is indicative of the strength on ben simmons level you're crazy

How strong do you actually think Ben Simmons is? You know Steph Curry deadlifts 400 pounds and outbenched DeAndre Jordan at the combine, right? If shooting from near half court was so easy, I'm sure a lot more players would be doing it.

I feel like this is getting a little irrelevant anyhow. You are just shutting down my opinion without really saying anything besides the guy is weak.

My main point is I think Haliburton is a guy that can be a lockdown defender. He showed the ability in college to be a good on ball defender and he has the length to challenge 1-3. As I said, a little shorter Ben Simmons with a 3 point shot is probably his ceiling. He's not going to be high usage or have a bag of tricks like Devonte, but he will be highly efficient and contribute greatly to the offense. Obviously, he could bust out and be a snoozefest as well. But, that's the case for every player in the draft.

MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#57 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:44 am

316Hornets wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:
316Hornets wrote:
Alright strawman.

How strong do you actually think Ben Simmons is? You know Steph Curry deadlifts 400 pounds and outbenched DeAndre Jordan at the combine, right? If shooting from near half court was so easy, I'm sure a lot more players would be doing it.

I feel like this is getting a little irrelevant anyhow. You are just shutting down my opinion without really saying anything besides the guy is weak.

My main point is I think Haliburton is a guy that can be a lockdown defender. He showed the ability in college to be a good on ball defender and he has the length to challenge 1-3. As I said, a little shorter Ben Simmons with a 3 point shot is probably his ceiling. He's not going to be high usage or have a bag of tricks like Devonte, but he will be highly efficient and contribute greatly to the offense. Obviously, he could bust out and be a snoozefest as well. But, that's the case for every player in the draft.

Shooting and passing are two critical determinants/predictors of NBA transition and impact. I feel like if a player has these two core skills he can elevate the level of his teammates and reward good possessions. It's a bonus Haliburton has the length to defend. I feel like mocks are penalizing him for being a sophomore but what I like about the extra year in school is if a player sets a recent precedent of improvement he's one step ahead of a freshman projected by a smaller sample with no proof of ability to develop further. I will take the 20 year old who improved since 19 over the 19 year old who may or may not make a big jump. Miles, PJ and Haliburton profile as Kupchak picks. They all have high floors yet also upside. Kupchak hits doubles and doesn't swing for the fences. Haliburton is a solid double.
It has been written...
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by 316Hornets » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:11 am

Steal rate has also shown to be a strong predictor of success.

https://medium.com/unpluggd-mag/the-relationship-between-steal-rates-and-nba-success-fbc8d668e9fa

Haliburton has a 3.8% steal rate, highest in the class.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#59 » by Braggins » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:26 am

Trade back for Haliburton seems like a viable option to me.

I also would be into trying to take advantage of how little trade value picks in this lottery will have combined with all the desperate financial situations around the league to use cap space to trade for assets we can flip for another lottery pick to try to come out of this draft with Wiseman/Okongwu + Haliburton.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#60 » by Braggins » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:10 am

Why is Lamelo getting rated higher than Haliburton?

Haliburton has a better wingspan, so their standing reach is likely pretty much the same despite the height difference. They seem pretty similar athletically. Haliburton is efficient, a much better shooter, and projects to be a good defender. His IQ on both sides of the ball seems better.

The only advantages I really see for Lamelo is that he is a year younger, maybe has a little better handle (not sure on this one either way), and his passing/vision might be a little better. Even if Lamelo is a better passer, Im highly skeptical of the claims people are making that he is a generational passer, or potential the best 18 year old passer ever, and his IQ seems worse than Haliburtons. Lamelo's passing doesn't really seem much better than Lonzos, and while Lonzo is an excellent passer, hes certainly not one of the best passers ever.

If you insist on not taking a center, which I think is absolute silly nonsense btw (someone being a wing obviously doesn't automatically make them more impactful than someone who is a center, not sure how this even needs to be said), I think I would rather just take Haliburton over Lamelo or Anthony Edwards.

Return to Charlotte Hornets