Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Re: Jay Wright ? (Jeff Goodman) 

Post#41 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:03 pm

fl311 wrote:
mhunt wrote:
fl311 wrote:Brand is highly respected and actually liked by lots of people in NBA. Sure some of this is on him being in charge, but dont think for one second that the problems on this team are his fault.

I've said this over and over again, Josh Harris is 100% at fault. It was his decision to move Jimmy. Not Brett, not Brand. It was his decision to trade for Jimmy and Tobias in the first place.

We will see in the coming months if he realizes this (highly unlikely), but any changes in the FO will be meaningless if there is not someone hired above Elton to run everything.

Unfortunately, very few people have that sort of self awareness.
Hearing anything about possible coaching candidates or roster moves that haven't already been rumored?

I put this in the other thread:

I am still around and figured I’d pop back in.

There are currently a lot of moving pieces. I’ve heard that everyone in FO but Brand could go, to only a few being fired and Brand running things. If the former were to happen they would bring in a high level executive to run everything with Brand under them. I’m highly skeptical that happens and expect just a few changes.

Regarding the coach, unfortunately I’ve been hearing Ty Lue for a few weeks if he doesn’t get Nets job. They’ll reach out to Jay Wright but I don’t expect much from that conversation.

Horford is the likelier trade candidate over Harris but they would still need to attach other assets to rid themselves of his contract. Harris is almost as untradeable as John Wall.

Jo is just frustrated with the team around him and this offseason will go a long way to determine whether he wants out.

Good to see you back fl. Thanks for the info as always. Have you heard about any potential trade targets for Al or Harris?
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#42 » by fl311 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:07 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
fl311 wrote:
mhunt wrote:
Unfortunately, very few people have that sort of self awareness.
Hearing anything about possible coaching candidates or roster moves that haven't already been rumored?

I put this in the other thread:

There are currently a lot of moving pieces. I’ve heard that everyone in FO but Brand could go, to only a few being fired and Brand running things. If the former were to happen they would bring in a high level executive to run everything with Brand under them. I’m highly skeptical that happens and expect just a few changes.

Regarding the coach, unfortunately I’ve been hearing Ty Lue for a few weeks if he doesn’t get Nets job. They’ll reach out to Jay Wright but I don’t expect much from that conversation.

Horford is the likelier trade candidate over Harris but they would still need to attach other assets to rid themselves of his contract. Harris is almost as untradeable as John Wall.

Jo is just frustrated with the team around him and this offseason will go a long way to determine whether he wants out.

Good to see you back fl. Thanks for the info as always. Have you heard about any potential trade targets for Al or Harris?

Nothing specific. I wouldnt even consider the possibility of a Harris trade. Horford is the more likely of the two, but they'll need to get very creative. Just my opinion, but i think they are in a real tough spot outside of really nailing the draft.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#43 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:15 pm

fl311 wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
fl311 wrote:I put this in the other thread:

Nothing specific. I wouldnt even consider the possibility of a Harris trade. Horford is the more likely of the two, but they'll need to get very creative. Just my opinion, but i think they are in a real tough spot outside of really nailing the draft.

That’s unfortunate and too bad we’re likely stuck with him because he doesn’t appear to be a winning piece. John Wall doesn’t seem like the worst option when you look at it from our angle lol.

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#44 » by Sixerscan » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:03 pm

Nothing against the career Wall has had, was probably one of my 10 favorite players to watch of the 2010s, but if Elton Brand of all people trades for a former all star coming off a ruptured achilles I'm gonna lose it lol.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#45 » by VDT » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:07 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
fl311 wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:

That’s unfortunate and too bad we’re likely stuck with him because he doesn’t appear to be a winning piece. John Wall doesn’t seem like the worst option when you look at it from our angle lol.

John Wall is basically the worst option.

It would be surprising, even for Brand, to make such a terrible trade.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,121

Post#46 » by Arsenal » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:45 pm

fl311 wrote:Brand is highly respected and actually liked by lots of people in NBA. Sure some of this is on him being in charge, but dont think for one second that the problems on this team are his fault.

I've said this over and over again, Josh Harris is 100% at fault. It was his decision to move Jimmy. Not Brett, not Brand. It was his decision to trade for Jimmy and Tobias in the first place.

We will see in the coming months if he realizes this (highly unlikely), but any changes in the FO will be meaningless if there is not someone hired above Elton to run everything.

Oh god we're screwed.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,012

Post#47 » by eyeatoma » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:05 pm

Wait what, why did he not want Jimmy in the end? Especially if he wanted us to trade for him?
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#48 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:15 pm

VDT wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
fl311 wrote:

Not to turn this into a fantasy trade thread, but I'd easily trade Horford + Scott for Wall. They each have 3 years left on their deal, but Wall at least has some upside for us. We already know AL is a misfit on this team. If we can't turn Horford into Chris Paul, that'd be my next attempt. We have nothing to lose, as this team has no legitimate future beyond the next 3-4 years.

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
VDT
Analyst

Post#49 » by VDT » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:22 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
VDT wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:

Not to turn this into a fantasy trade thread, but I'd easily trade Horford + Scott for Wall. They each have 3 years left on their deal, but Wall at least has some upside for us. We already know AL is a misfit on this team. If we can't turn Horford into Chris Paul, that'd be my next attempt. We have nothing to lose, as this team has no legitimate future beyond the next 3-4 years.

The team would be even more dysfunctional with Wall in the lineup. Even healthy Wall, not post achilles Wall.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,810

Post#50 » by Stanford » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:25 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Finally! Let's get this to keep picking up steam!

Why is Jay Wright a good coach and why would he fit here?
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#51 » by Kobblehead » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:04 pm

Stanford wrote:

- Emotional intelligence
- Familiarity with how to coach high profile NBA players (Team USA affiliation)
- Always on the forefront of offensive innovation (was doing 4 out and spacing the floor with multiple ball handlers and shooters long before it became en vogue in the NBA)
HankTheTank
Pro Prospect
And1: 558

Post#52 » by HankTheTank » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:44 am

Jay Wright is absolutely brilliant. He’s approaching legend, Coach K status. Frankly, I love Nova hoops too much to want to see him leave
*GENIUS*
Hinkie graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 GPA from the Univ of Oklahoma and was named one of the top-60 undergrad students in the nation by USA TODAY. He holds an MBA from Stanford, graduating with highest honors as an Arjay Miller Scholar.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,484

Post#53 » by elchengue20 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:23 am

Kobblehead wrote:
Stanford wrote:

- Emotional intelligence
- Familiarity with how to coach high profile NBA players (Team USA affiliation)
- Always on the forefront of offensive innovation (was doing 4 out and spacing the floor with multiple ball handlers and shooters long before it became en vogue in the NBA)

I love it. Sounds like just what we need. Hope we get it done.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#54 » by Lou_23 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:45 am

Read on Twitter
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#55 » by SouthJersey » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:18 pm

I hope its not Wright. Just let him stay college and become one of the all time greats. It's just my opinion but I don't think older college coaches translate well to the NBA. If they go with someone from college, it should be one of the younger guys.
VDT
Analyst

Post#56 » by VDT » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:31 pm

Yes if you are going to get a college coach you should do it like the Celtics. Hire a young coach on a rebuilding team and give him time to acclimate himself to the NBA. Hiring a college coach what is nearing 60 on a team with expectations is likely not going to end well.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,484

Post#57 » by elchengue20 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:11 pm

The problem is we are not a rebuilding team. A young coach with no NBA expierience would get eaten alive by this team and the expectations. At least Wright looks like he has a very strong reputation while also being a great basketball mind.

I rather have him as a coach than another one with reputation but terrible coaching skills like Lue or J-Kidd, or young coaches without reputation like a Udoka or some young college coach.
VDT
Analyst

Post#58 » by VDT » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:22 pm

The thing is that the balance of power between the coaches and the players is completely different in college. In the NBA a coach is expendable and gets paid much less money than most players. I doubt that someone can adapt to that at 60 years old, when he has had a successful career in college basketball. Most likely he will try to coach the NBA players like he coaches his college players and it will end up in a disaster. That's one of the reasons i doubt he will make the jump to the NBA. It is much more fulfilling being a coach in college than being the scapegoat for everything in the NBA.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#59 » by Sixerscan » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:24 pm

elchengue20 wrote:The problem is we are not a rebuilding team. A young coach with no NBA expierience would get eaten alive by this team and the expectations. At least Wright looks like he has a very strong reputation while also being a great basketball mind.

I rather have him as a coach than another one with reputation but terrible coaching skills like Lue or J-Kidd, or young coaches without reputation like a Udoka or some young college coach.

I wouldn't say Lue has terrible coaching skills, but I think you've laid it out pretty well otherwise, there's no obvious slam dunk hire this cycle.

One thing in Jay's favor is that the recent college to pros jumps that have had real success at the college level (Stevens and Donovan) have seemed to be good hires (arguably Beilein is a counter to this, but I would consider him a level below, he was also older and I'm not sure who would have succeeded with that Cavs team).

In contrast you have someone like Hoiberg who never reached the highest levels of college basketball and didn't do much in the pros.

I do think it's a little different from when Calipari and Pitino tried, the college and pro games are a lot more similar than they were back then. It's not like Wright would be trying to run 48 minutes of full court press like Pitino.

But you're right that even Stevens and Donovan took a few years before they were really playoff ready coaches. A 7 game playoff series is just completely different than the single elimination college tournaments.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#60 » by Kobblehead » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:41 am

Sixerscan wrote:Nothing against the career Wall has had, was probably one of my 10 favorite players to watch of the 2010s, but if Elton Brand of all people trades for a former all star coming off a ruptured achilles I'm gonna lose it lol.

I'd do the deal if Troy Brown comes over with him as insurance.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers