Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,219

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1861 » by EvanZ » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:40 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Only European guy that I think should go first round is Avdija...

You don't think Poku or Hayes should be first round?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#1862 » by Stillwater » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:19 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Uros Trifunovic is a name I keep thinking should be getting late first looks, really dont know much about him, but of what I have seen and read looks like a decent NBA caliber wing prospect.At minimum a point forward worth stashing in 2nd

I made a thread about him a while back. I think he is an interesting wing prospect but might not have the athleticism to warrant first round.

Early to mid second round picks should look at Vit Krejci and Borisa Simanic.

yeah he does look a tad mechanical in his movements, but the slomo is still in the league in Memphis so its not like there are not some advantages if the prospect knows how to take advantage with their own timing being a weapon. The skill looks solid imo.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#1863 » by getrichordie » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:45 pm

Obviously forgot about Hayes, Maledon, and Poku. SMH
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#1864 » by getrichordie » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:25 pm

Stillwater wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Uros Trifunovic is a name I keep thinking should be getting late first looks, really dont know much about him, but of what I have seen and read looks like a decent NBA caliber wing prospect.At minimum a point forward worth stashing in 2nd

I made a thread about him a while back. I think he is an interesting wing prospect but might not have the athleticism to warrant first round.

Early to mid second round picks should look at Vit Krejci and Borisa Simanic.

yeah he does look a tad mechanical in his movements, but the slomo is still in the league in Memphis so its not like there are not some advantages if the prospect knows how to take advantage with their own timing being a weapon. The skill looks solid imo.

Slo-mo was a high IQ guy picked 30th who was such a Spurs-y pick. I don't think Trifunovic is close to him as a prospect but definitely intriguing.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#1865 » by EvanZ » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:20 am

Read on Twitter
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#1866 » by BadWolf » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:44 am

getrichordie wrote:Obviously forgot about Hayes, Maledon, and Poku. SMH

And only mentioned guy who's not technically European :D
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#1867 » by getrichordie » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:05 pm

BadWolf wrote:

You got me, LMAO. He's technically Asian.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#1868 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:41 pm

getrichordie wrote:
BadWolf wrote:

You got me, LMAO. He's technically Asian.

Joy Bong Chew meets
Philip E Nos
results in a Eurosian
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#1869 » by OGLife » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:54 am

Give me some Malachi Flynn.

BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#1870 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:01 am

Mirotic12 wrote:I don't see Georgios Kalaitzakis on any mock drafts. But he is in the draft pool and he was measured at 6-8, with a 7-1 wingspan. He can play offense and defense at both guard spots and at small forward. He can also play both on and off the ball, and he can run an offense and run pick and roll.

He has a good handle with either hand, good passing, good outside shooting, and he's a good rebounder. And he's athletic and a good finisher with both hands.

So I am pretty sure he would be universally seen as a first round pick if he had been coming from the NCAA.

I like him a lot for the Celtics with one of our late first rounders.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#1871 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:07 am

EMG518 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Who's going first - Riller or Bane?

Riller will go close to Lottery.

Anyone ever get drafted in the lottery that age or close to it? Just curious. He turned 23 in February. Having trouble finding it on my phone.

Buddy Hield
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1872 » by Ruzious » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:29 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
EMG518 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Riller will go close to Lottery.

Anyone ever get drafted in the lottery that age or close to it? Just curious. He turned 23 in February. Having trouble finding it on my phone.

Buddy Hield

And Cameron Johnson last draft.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#1873 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:10 pm

OGLife wrote:Give me some Malachi Flynn.

Love him.

Another one I really like is Trevelin Queen. Dude reminds me a lot of Kerry Kittles. I would love for my Blazers to give this dude a long look in the second round, exactly the type they'd need, skillswise. But also culturaly, coming from a midmajor college.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/trevelin-queen
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,506

Post#1874 » by jezzerinho » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:43 pm

Cosign on Trevelin Queen. He's a late bloomer who I think could be a serious sleeper. Vassell-lite for a lot less draft capital
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#1875 » by nolang1 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:38 pm

I was looking through final regular season stats and one of my sleepers from last year, Chris Clemons, really jumped out. He's fun to watch and just making a playoff team's roster and getting some minutes as an undrafted rookie is a win, but the combination of small sample size and playing in the Rockets' system results in some unprecedented stuff like 4.6 made threes per 36 (guys like Gordon Hayward, Derrick White, Marc Gasol, and Meyers Leonard who you think of as proficient three-point shooters attempt that many per 36) on 13.2 attempts. He's probably not quite Nate Robinson but is super athletic at 5'9" as evidenced by his hitting 57% of his twos when he does venture within the arc and managing to not be too much of a liability on defense. In 478 G League minutes his three-point rate was slightly lower and he averaged 25.2 points, 6.3 assists (to 2.8 turnovers) 4.1 rebounds, and 1.8 steals per 36.

I think as defensive versatility continues to be emphasized, it will create niches where even the players who are said to be able to defend 1-4 or 1-5 or whatever will have certain outlier matchups they can't do anything against (especially when some of those players will be young rookies who might have the physical tools but lack the current know-how). Obviously on one end you have someone like Boban who is too big for even most centers and can come in and rack up points/rebounds against teams that aren't going to exploit him too much defensively, and I think these extra shifty guards with deep three-point range can be too much for most combo guards/wings to chase around. It's not like most teams go more than 10 deep in their rotation anyways, so I think someone who at the very least you can bust out in certain matchups or when players are resting/injured and be like "hey, maybe he hits 5 threes off the bench and steals the game for us" has real value.

Markus Howard is the main guy like that for me. He's the Big East's all-time leading scorer and 7th in NCAA history in threes made (the only major conference player above him was Redick, who played 10 more games than him) and his collegiate career began as a 17-year-old and ended just two games after he turned 21. Between the threes and the free throws (10.3 attempts per 40) he is clearly elite at creating offense for himself. Now at his size is he going to do it well enough to be a starter? Probably not, but he's definitely capable of either running point and torching teams that play drop coverage or have bigs that don't guard the perimeter well. When you compare Howard or Clemons to someone like Carsen Edwards (last year's 33rd pick who played fewer minutes than Clemons and by any measure was less productive in them), yeah you can say Edwards has better a better frame or more defensive potential, but relative to the average NBA player he's still deficient there and those two are even purer shooters/scorers.

At a different position Yoeli Childs checks similar boxes in terms of being a senior who's improved throughout college, is definitely a high-character guy who's going to work hard/be a pro from day 1, and even if there's a lack of upside could be a crafty scorer with a high motor who can pour in points against unprepared teams. His senior season was kind of muted not only due to coronavirus but an NCAA ruling causing him to sit out the first 8 games, but 44.6 points per 100 possessions is no joke. If he continues to develop his three (22-45 in 19 games this year) he could be a better version of Georges Niang (more of a scorer/rebounder and less of a passer).
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#1876 » by doordoor123 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:21 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:I don't see Georgios Kalaitzakis on any mock drafts. But he is in the draft pool and he was measured at 6-8, with a 7-1 wingspan. He can play offense and defense at both guard spots and at small forward. He can also play both on and off the ball, and he can run an offense and run pick and roll.

He has a good handle with either hand, good passing, good outside shooting, and he's a good rebounder. And he's athletic and a good finisher with both hands.

So I am pretty sure he would be universally seen as a first round pick if he had been coming from the NCAA.

I like him a lot for the Celtics with one of our late first rounders.

He’s pretty fluid for his size, but his handle is nowhere near ready for the NBA even if he uses both hands. And he uses his upper body way too much in his jumper. He needs to learn to get his legs into his shot. Really awkward motion.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#1877 » by doordoor123 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:30 pm

PerkinsFor3 wrote:
OGLife wrote:Give me some Malachi Flynn.

Love him.

Another one I really like is Trevelin Queen. Dude reminds me a lot of Kerry Kittles. I would love for my Blazers to give this dude a long look in the second round, exactly the type they'd need, skillswise. But also culturaly, coming from a midmajor college.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/trevelin-queen

I’m still kind of surprised Queen wasn’t invited to the combine, but he is in no way a perfect player. He looks like he has long arms for his size, but he’s a pretty bad defender, is kind of slow and his back is kind of stiff. With that said he can play and has a good feel for the game. I think he’ll earn a two-way after going undrafted. A lot of his steals are due to him being older and knowing where to be on defense, but his on-ball stuff is pretty bad mostly because he can’t get low enough into a defensive stance.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#1878 » by getrichordie » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:52 am

See thread:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,510

Post#1879 » by Kalela » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:04 am

I remember Enoch from his Uconn days. I didn't realize he was still playing college ball. lol He was raw as hell in those days. He has improved a lot since judging by the videos above.
Fire Mazzulla
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#1880 » by EvanZ » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:11 pm

Enoch will be in Europe.

Return to NBA Draft