bmc11
Ballboy
And1: 5

Re: 2020 free agent targets and draft picks 

Post#401 » by bmc11 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:29 pm

I know it won´t happen, but what do you think of:

NOP Out: Lonzo Ball, Darius Miller, JJ Redick, Pick 13th
NOP In: CJ McCollum, Zach Collins, Picks 21st and 36th

Why for NOP: Lonzo does not work well with Ingram and Williamson long term, all of them need the ball in their hands and Lonzo does not stretch the floor for them, CJ can guard the PG on defense and share the facilitator duties with Williamson and Jrue. CJ could blossom into a star next to Williamson. Zach Collins can be the defensive-minded stretch floor that could be perfect next to Williamson

PG: CJ, Free Agent, Pick 21st
SG: Jrue, Alexander Walker
SF: Ingram, Hart
PF: Williamson, Melli, Pick 36th
C: Zach Collins, Favors, Hayes

SUNS Out: Kelly Oubre Jr, Pick 10th
SUNS In: Lonzo Ball, Darius Miller, Pick 13th and 36th

Why for the SUNS: They have always wanted to pair Lonzo with booker, if the SUNS managed to work a Rubio/Booker backcourt, they could potentially have the backcourt of their present and future with Lonzo.

PG: Lonzo, Rubio
SG: Booker, Payne
SF: Bridges, Cam
PF: Saric, Pick 13th
C: Ayton, Baynes

POR Out: CJ McCollum, Zach Collins,
POR In: Tobias Harris, Picks 10th and 21st

Why for POR: Tobias brings the big and versatile forward they need and add 2 picks for another trade or to start building for the future.

PG: Lillard, Simons
SG: Trent Jr, Hood, Pick 16th
SF: Ariza, Melo, Pick 10th (Okoro, Vassel)
PF: Harris, Melo, Gabriel, Pick 21st
C: Nurkic, Whiteside, Pick 46th

PHI Out: Tobias Harris, Picks 21st, 34th and 36th
PHI In: Kelly Oubre Jr, JJ Redick

Why for PHI: they get out of Harris contract and bring back a similar talented SF and bring back the shooting and leadership of Redick.

PG: Milton, Neto
SG: JJ Redick, Richardson, Korkmaz
SF: Oubre, Thybulle, Robinson III
PF: Simmons, Scott
C: Embiid, Harford
Blazer2334
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#402 » by Blazer2334 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:14 pm

bmc11 wrote:I know it won´t happen, but what do you think of:

NOP Out: Lonzo Ball, Darius Miller, JJ Redick, Pick 13th
NOP In: CJ McCollum, Zach Collins, Picks 21st and 36th

Why for NOP: Lonzo does not work well with Ingram and Williamson long term, all of them need the ball in their hands and Lonzo does not stretch the floor for them, CJ can guard the PG on defense and share the facilitator duties with Williamson and Jrue. CJ could blossom into a star next to Williamson. Zach Collins can be the defensive-minded stretch floor that could be perfect next to Williamson

PG: CJ, Free Agent, Pick 21st
SG: Jrue, Alexander Walker
SF: Ingram, Hart
PF: Williamson, Melli, Pick 36th
C: Zach Collins, Favors, Hayes

SUNS Out: Kelly Oubre Jr, Pick 10th
SUNS In: Lonzo Ball, Darius Miller, Pick 13th and 36th

Why for the SUNS: They have always wanted to pair Lonzo with booker, if the SUNS managed to work a Rubio/Booker backcourt, they could potentially have the backcourt of their present and future with Lonzo.

PG: Lonzo, Rubio
SG: Booker, Payne
SF: Bridges, Cam
PF: Saric, Pick 13th
C: Ayton, Baynes

POR Out: CJ McCollum, Zach Collins,
POR In: Tobias Harris, Picks 10th and 21st

Why for POR: Tobias brings the big and versatile forward they need and add 2 picks for another trade or to start building for the future.

PG: Lillard, Simons
SG: Trent Jr, Hood, Pick 16th
SF: Ariza, Melo, Pick 10th (Okoro, Vassel)
PF: Harris, Melo, Gabriel, Pick 21st
C: Nurkic, Whiteside, Pick 46th

PHI Out: Tobias Harris, Picks 21st, 34th and 36th
PHI In: Kelly Oubre Jr, JJ Redick

Why for PHI: they get out of Harris contract and bring back a similar talented SF and bring back the shooting and leadership of Redick.

PG: Milton, Neto
SG: JJ Redick, Richardson, Korkmaz
SF: Oubre, Thybulle, Robinson III
PF: Simmons, Scott
C: Embiid, Harford

NOLA is giving out a BUNCH and getting back basically CJ on a too large of contract and an oft injured C nearing the end of his rookie contract. Not to mention they have Hayes whom they just spent a 1st round pick on and showed promise. Definite pass from them.

I like the Lonzo to Suns idea. I think PHX and NOLA cut everyone else out and work together.

From the Blazers perspective, I pass. Portland doesn’t need an inefficient, undersized PF who struggles defensively and rebounding. Might as well keep Melo there and keep CJ and Collins. I would much rather keep CJ and add Redick if possible as a nice bench piece.

The picks are meh to me. A weak draft amd they do nothing to help us win now. Would certainly need to be moved for someone else.

As to the Sixers, who knows what will happen there. I think they would be more interested in CJ than they would Oubre. So if anything happens, I think POR and PHI deal separately.
Blazer2334
Ballboy

Post#403 » by Blazer2334 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:17 pm

HoopsFanAZ wrote:
Sinobas wrote:Trade idea:
Portland trades: CJ McCollum, Zach Collins, Gary Trent Jr, 1st round pick
Pacers trade: Domantus Sabonis, Malcom Brogdon.

Why Portland does it? The benefits of getting Sabonis are obvious. We have too much money invested in CJ, Brogdon is better defender and can play both positions. Collins is no longer needed with Sabonis.

Why Indiana does it? Get a good young prospect in Gary Trent JR, Collins for that matter still has potential, and a top flight scorer for their back court who can break down a defense 1 on 1.

Add Simons, subtract GTJ (add sweetener?) ... and I’m in. (I really like Collins and Simons BUT, it’s Sabonis).

This is a bad fit for Indiana. Warren and Victor both require the ball in their hands, like, CJ does.

Not to mention the fact that they won’t want to give up a young all-star for a miscast, small combo guard who does little but score, an oft injured bug who is nearing the end of his rookie contract and GTJ.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Myles Turner in Portland. He fits well and shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg to get.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#404 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:00 pm

I wouldn’t mind seeing Myles Turner in Portland. He fits well and shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg to get.

He most certainly would cost an arm and a leg. Mobile, switchy 3/D PFC who dont require high usage are in high demand right now. I wouldnt be surprised if Collins and 16 doesnt get Indiana on the phone for Turner. His contract is pretty nice as well.

From the Blazers perspective, I pass. Portland doesn’t need an inefficient, undersized PF who struggles defensively and rebounding. Might as well keep Melo there and keep CJ and Collins. I would much rather keep CJ and add Redick if possible as a nice bench piece.

47/37/80 w/ a 53% EFG isnt inefficient at all. He also isnt really undersized in todays NBA for a PF. His rebounding is fine and his defense is meh, but better than CJ or Melo. I dont think we find a much better player for CJ.

I would try to flip pick #10 with Ariza for Gordon and run a big lineup: Dame / GTJ / Gordon / Harris / Nurkic. We would still have 16 and 21 to use on cheap eventual replacements for some of our vets (I would target a C and PG, ideally a NBA ready PG so we can move Simons to his natural 6th man gunner position)

Whatever the move is, we need to make one. This team as constructed isnt that good and its not going to get much better.
Blazer2334
Ballboy

Post#405 » by Blazer2334 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:33 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote: He most certainly would cost an arm and a leg. Mobile, switchy 3/D PFC who dont require high usage are in high demand right now. I wouldnt be surprised if Collins and 16 doesnt get Indiana on the phone for Turner. His contract is pretty nice as well.

I don’t consider Collins+16 and another pick/prospect to be an arm and a leg, especially comparative to what Sabonis would cost.

BlazersBroncos wrote: 47/37/80 w/ a 53% EFG isnt inefficient at all. He also isnt really undersized in todays NBA for a PF. His rebounding is fine and his defense is meh, but better than CJ or Melo. I dont think we find a much better player for CJ.

37% from 3 would be nice from the 4 spot, but 53% efg from a PF is inefficient IMO.

As to being undersized, a 6’8 235 Lb PF is bottom third in the league in terms of size. He doesn’t make up for it in terms of elite athleticism either.

His rebounding is not fine. He has a TRB% of like 11; for comparisons sake, Aldridge got blasted for his rebounding and his was year was 13% (which is almost identical for Harris best year). Harris is one of the worst rebounding Starting PFs in the game.

For some perspective Hezonja is 11% and Melo/Little are both at 10%. I don’t think anyone is going to argue that Hezonja’s rebounding would be “fine” at the PF position.

For some more perspective, ZC is at about 13% on the defensive end but is at about 10% on the offensive end. Harris is only 3% on the offensive end.

Watching is play in the bubble has shown we need an influx of size, speed, and athleticism. Harris addresses none of that.

BlazersBroncos wrote:
I would try to flip pick #10 with Ariza for Gordon and run a big lineup: Dame / GTJ / Gordon / Harris / Nurkic. We would still have 16 and 21 to use on cheap eventual replacements for some of our vets (I would target a C and PG, ideally a NBA ready PG so we can move Simons to his natural 6th man gunner position)

I really like Gordon. I think he is the perfect 4 for this team, but he isn’t a SF. However, he could play one in spells.

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Whatever the move is, we need to make one. This team as constructed isnt that good and its not going to get much better.

I agree, however I don’t think we trade away a player like CJ (even if it is for a comparable player like Harris) unless it addresses our biggest needs. This trade doesn’t do that IMO.
blazersbucs40
Rookie
And1: 43

Post#406 » by blazersbucs40 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:47 pm

If Houstons loses in the first and they make some changes, I wonder if Covington becomes available
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#407 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:19 am

Why wouldn't Philly take CJ and Collins instead of Iubre and Reddick? I dunno why New Orleans and Phoenix are even in that deal??
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#408 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:30 am

I'm with Epicurious... bring back Kanter (Bazemore TPE) and Labisserie (vet minimum???) to pair with Nurkic & Collins. Bring back Ariza, Melo, and Gabriel. Draft Nesmith.

Lillard / Simon's / Hezonja
McCollum / Trent Jr / Hood
Ariza / Melo / Nesmith / Little
Collins / Labisserie / Gabriel
Nurkic / Kanter

There are some trade chips in that lineup as the trade deadline draws near. Overall, it's not a bad roster. It could allow you to make TSE's dream come true and trade CJ for Harris. It would probably cost either Hood or Collins to make the salaries work, but now you have a hole at SG unless someone steps up. Trent Jr had a nice little run in the bubble, but I think people got a little carried away with having him replace CJ. Maybe some day, but he's not there yet. So, given the roster, who can the Blazers get to fill the starting SG position? If Philly would take CJ and Hood for Harris, could the Blazers somehow get Harris from Brooklyn with some combination of Collins, Simon's, & ?? I dunno what Harris would command for a salary so I just don't know what it would take to get him. Maybe Ariza's salary is needed?

Lillard / Hezonja
Harris / Trent Jr
Nesmith / Little / Melo (maybe you dont bring him back)
Harris / Labiserrie / Gabriel
Nurkic / Kanter

The bench still stinks, sigh
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,832

Post#409 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:55 am

I'd rather trade for Tobias, resign Moe, resign Carmelo if possible, and try for a lineup of..

Dame/vet min PG/Anfernee
Gary/Rodney/Anfernee
Ariza/Moe
Tobias/Carmelo/Wenyen
Nurk/Collins/Wenyen
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,241

Post#410 » by wco81 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:59 am

Read somewhere that thru the first 3 or 4 games, Melo had the worst on/off on the team.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#411 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:23 am

wco81 wrote:Read somewhere that thru the first 3 or 4 games, Melo had the worst on/off on the team.

on/off is a terrible stat for limited sample sizes. Its such a birds eye view of how the game works that it misses a ton of nuance. It only really has meaning when viewed from the long-term and even then one should be careful how they use it. It is incredibly context dependent, who is on the floor with you and who is on the floor for the other team, that only when all those variables are lost in the statistical noise can it possibly be used without context.
soobias
Pro Prospect
And1: 85

Post#412 » by soobias » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:47 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:I'd rather trade for Tobias, resign Moe, resign Carmelo if possible, and try for a lineup of..

Dame/vet min PG/Anfernee
Gary/Rodney/Anfernee
Ariza/Moe
Tobias/Carmelo/Wenyen
Nurk/Collins/Wenyen

i would do this all day everyday , twice on sundays.
the only thing is i dont think collins is going to work out.
and i prefer 3's-4's be able to handle the ball and be able to push the tempo when needed.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#413 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:33 pm

If Houstons loses in the first and they make some changes, I wonder if Covington becomes available

I seriously doubt it, and if he is I am not sure we have the assets to get him. I dont think they would take Zach and 16 for him honestly.

Lillard / Simon's / Hezonja
McCollum / Trent Jr / Hood
Ariza / Melo / Nesmith / Little
Collins / Labisserie / Gabriel
Nurkic / Kanter

That team is solidly below LAL, LAC, DEN, DAL and likely UTA if this Donovan play isnt a mirage. We are simply not that good.

I really like Gordon. I think he is the perfect 4 for this team, but he isn’t a SF. However, he could play one in spells.

Gordon and Tobias would basically be interchangeable on offense and defense, albeit I like Gordon on SF's more than I like Harris there. Basically every critique you made of Harris is the same once can make about CJ, simply at a different position. The main argument against CJ for Harris is the extra year on Tobys deal, which is a big deal.

I am thinking we should go YOLO, move CJ for cap space and a pick or asset and become players in the 2021 FA frenzy. Assuming we could do that, we would have only 64.8M + a few rookies and cap holds on contract. I think that is the only way we truly can become contenders and get Dame a legit champ quality sidekick. Or something like CJ for JJ (Expiring) + 13 + TPE/Cap Space. IDK, I just dont see many ways to stay in the mix with the truly quality teams.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#414 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:32 pm

im not sure theres any difference between cj mccollum and tobias harris, except they play different positions

id rather go for aaron gordon, although he fits better at power forward than small forward
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#415 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:50 pm

im not sure theres any difference between cj mccollum and tobias harris, except they play different positions

id rather go for aaron gordon, although he fits better at power forward than small forward

The talent level between CJ and Harris is very close if not equal, the point of a trade would be to get the roster better balanced and it seems we have a SG heir apparent in GTJ (Albeit its very early to be confident in that).

End of the day, we need changes. We dont have the talent of LAC, LAL, DEN, DAL or even UTA (If Mitchell keeps playing like baby Wade). We are not keeping up with the cream of the West. If something doesnt change, we will be perennial 6-8 seed fodder.

Missing out on Clarke, Thybulle and Bazley really sucks man. All those guys would have been in the rotation this season. I know Little was drafted as a project, but not beating out Mario is a really scary sign. He is just so freaking raw.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#416 » by Norm2953 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:30 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:im not sure theres any difference between cj mccollum and tobias harris, except they play different positions

Tobias has an extra year and would cost
an extra $48 million over the life of his contract
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#417 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:31 pm

The Blazers could:

Trade the Bazemore TPE to Boston for Kanter, $5 million 1 year contract.
Sign Jae Crowder to a 2 year deal for the BAE or whatever the $9 million contract is called with the 2nd year being a team option.
Sign Shabazz Napier to a 2 year vet minimum deal with the second year being a team option.
Resign Melo to a 2 year vet minimum deal with the second year being a team option.
Resign Ariza to a 2 year vet minimum deal with the second year being a team option.
Resign Gabriel to a 2 year minimum deal with the second year being a team option.
Find a way to move up and draft Aaron Nesmith out of Vanderbuilt. Does some combination of Collins, Little, Trent Jr, or Simons, #16, or #46 get that done?
Trade Hezonja for pennies on the dollar.

Lillard / Napier
Hood / Trent Jr / Simons
Ariza / Crowder / Melo / (Nesmith) / Little
Harris / Collins / Gabriel
Nurkic / Kanter

Now, if some combination of Collins, Simons, Trent Jr, and Little are gone in the deal for the Nesmith pick, then having Ariza and/or Melo could help fill the bench roles. Hopefully Hood finds his shooting stroke that he had for the first 20 games to start this past season.

This lineup leaves the Blazers with Lillard, Nurkic, Harris, Nesmith, and maybe Simons on the roster come the summer of 2021 (or whenever the offseason is a go).

Which of those transactions do not happen???
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,526

Post#418 » by zzaj » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:00 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:The Blazers could:

Trade the Bazemore TPE to Boston for Kanter, $5 million 1 year contract.
Sign Jae Crowder to a 2 year deal for the BAE or whatever the $9 million contract is called with the 2nd year being a team option.
Sign Shabazz Napier to a 2 year vet minimum deal with the second year being a team option.
Resign Melo to a 2 year vet minimum deal with the second year being a team option.
Resign Ariza to a 2 year vet minimum deal with the second year being a team option.
Resign Gabriel to a 2 year minimum deal with the second year being a team option.
Find a way to move up and draft Aaron Nesmith out of Vanderbuilt. Does some combination of Collins, Little, Trent Jr, or Simons, #16, or #46 get that done?
Trade Hezonja for pennies on the dollar.

Lillard / Napier
Hood / Trent Jr / Simons
Nurkic / Kanter

Now, if some combination of Collins, Simons, Trent Jr, and Little are gone in the deal for the Nesmith pick, then having Ariza and/or Melo could help fill the bench roles. Hopefully Hood finds his shooting stroke that he had for the first 20 games to start this past season.

This lineup leaves the Blazers with Lillard, Nurkic, Harris, Nesmith, and maybe Simons on the roster come the summer of 2021 (or whenever the offseason is a go).

Which of those transactions do not happen???

The chances of Hood being anything close to the player he was pre-achilles injury are very small, sadly. He will most likely never be a starter in the NBA again, nor a big minute bench player. He wasn't great defensively to begin with, and as you point out his shooting numbers are more likely an anomaly when you take his career numbers into account. If your transactions were to take place, Hood would likely be behind both Trent and Simons.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#419 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:18 pm

The chances of Hood being anything close to the player he was pre-achilles injury are very small, sadly. He will most likely never be a starter in the NBA again, nor a big minute bench player. He wasn't great defensively to begin with, and as you point out his shooting numbers are more likely an anomaly when you take his career numbers into account. If your transactions were to take place, Hood would likely be behind both Trent and Simons.

I think there is a good chance Hood comes back and regains form by midseason. Medical science has come a very long way. He wasnt ever reliant on athleticism and his best attribute, shooting, shouldnt be impacted. That being said, I think GTJ and Simons are good insurance if he never regains form. You usually dont have that kind of talent to lean on while a starter is out.

Lillard / Napier
Hood / Trent Jr / Simons
Nurkic / Kanter

This would be pretty dope, but I think Crowder gets the full MLE. Big SF's that can match physically with the elite forwards and hit a 3 are in huge demand. Napier is a no brainer to me, he is a sparkplug who gives great effort, can run a team better than any PG we have had in ages and is used to being a short minutes guy.

With the shooting of Dame (4.1-10.2 40%), Napier (1.5-4.1 36%), GTJ (1.8-4.4 42%), Hood (1.7-34. 49%), Melo (1.5-3.9 39%) and Harris (1.8-5.0 37%) I think you can afford to move Ariza and Zach for Aaron Gordon to make a jumbo forward pairing with Harris. Gordon has a bit of a handle and decent passing, and would compliment the less dribble inclined guys in the starting linuep.

Then go for a more realistic, cheaper SF in Harkless.

G - Damian Lillard / Shabazz Napier / Malachi Flynn (46)
G - Rodney Hood * / Gary Trent Jr / Anfernee Simons
F - Aaron Gordon / Mo Harkless / Nassir Little
F - Tobias Harris / Carmelo Anthony / Weynen Gabriel
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Enes Kanter / Jalen Smith (16)

Offense off the bench in Napier, Melo, Kanter. More well rounded play in GTJ. Defense in Mo. A few hustle guys deep that can play fiesty defense (Flynn, Nassir, Gabriel, Jalen) and an emergency offensive sparkplug in Simons. A starting lineup with insane balance, great size, two clear plus defenders, great 3PT shooting from 3 guys and a managble secondary ballhandler in Gordon. Thats a much better, well rounded team than what we have now. FWIW, I envision Gordon playing SF on defense and PF on offense more or less.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,241

Post#420 » by wco81 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:20 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

The talent level between CJ and Harris is very close if not equal, the point of a trade would be to get the roster better balanced and it seems we have a SG heir apparent in GTJ (Albeit its very early to be confident in that).

End of the day, we need changes. We dont have the talent of LAC, LAL, DEN, DAL or even UTA (If Mitchell keeps playing like baby Wade). We are not keeping up with the cream of the West. If something doesnt change, we will be perennial 6-8 seed fodder.

Missing out on Clarke, Thybulle and Bazley really sucks man. All those guys would have been in the rotation this season. I know Little was drafted as a project, but not beating out Mario is a really scary sign. He is just so freaking raw.

CJ has better shooting numbers overall.

Harris' shooting numbers plummet in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/harrito02.html#all_playoffs_totals

But he's only been in the playoffs 3 times, 20 total games. Obviously Harris will get you more rebounds, CJ more assists.

Tobias has size so he can potentially defend more positions but not sure he's considered a great defender.

Going back to offense, Tobias can do some post ups. But it would be interesting to compare their shooting percentages in the restricted zone, maybe 10-15 feet out, so see if Harris would get you more midrange baskets. CJ can but he has to create off dribble and separate, from say 15-20 feet.

Blazers really need Collins to pan out. Playoffs teams rarely get to draft in the lottery so it's a great chance to improve the roster. Next season is his last on his rookie deal so he's got to show something.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers