Buck's Boycott

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Re: Buck's Boycott 

Post#41 » by NickP » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:21 pm

Kelphus wrote:Unless you've had to worry about being pulled over by police;
Unless you've had to teach your son if you get pulled over don't move your hands, keep them on the wheel;
If you've never had police pull guns on you from the getgo;
Unless you have never had law enforcement eye you suspiciously;
Unless you've ever been afraid of the law enforcement which is supposed to be protecting you;

How dare anyone say we are "BLM'ed out"

A guy was shot in the freaking back seven times in front of his kids. And no weapon. And not a felon or other dangerous person.

But apparently he was presumed to be dangerous because of his skin color.

Until you really understand what it's like, shut up. Go talk to a Black friend and ask some questions. You might learn something.
You might get very upset to realize what you've not been understanding, what you've been oblivious to your whole white middle class life.

Black Lives Matter.

Easy there. Let's no go daring anyone about anything. Again what happened in Kenosha is tragic. Those kids did not have to see this.
And do not tell me to shut up. Not a felon? Have you even bothered to read the facts or you are simply going to repeat social media? Do you know why the cops were there to begin with? Do you know the victim had a record and an outstanding arrest warrant? Do you know they found a knife in his car?
I'm going to say this again. What happened was tragic. But do not tell me to shut up. I know when a shooting is racially motivated and when it's not.
Black Life Matters.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#42 » by NippySudz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:25 pm

Read on Twitter
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#43 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:38 pm

The owners must have told the players just how bad it would be financially to cancel this season, especially with all the uncertainty about next season. CBA negotiations are going to be interesting now.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#44 » by NippySudz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:41 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:The owners must have told the players just how bad it would be financially to cancel this season, especially with all the uncertainty about next season. CBA negotiations are going to be interesting now.

I don't think they ever wanted to cancel the season. If you read social media about the meeting yesterday, it contradicts what the writers said what happened vs what actually happened(according to the players on social media) I think they just wanted to get the owners attention on how far they are willing to go. I'm happy they took the step to show they're serious. Some things are bigger than basketball

and to all the people that complained about this. Look, your basketball was only inconvenienced for a few days. Happy now?
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#45 » by mttwlsn16 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:41 pm

NippySudz wrote:
Read on Twitter
$hocker
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#46 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:46 pm

NippySudz wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:The owners must have told the players just how bad it would be financially to cancel this season, especially with all the uncertainty about next season. CBA negotiations are going to be interesting now.

I don't think they ever wanted to cancel the season. If you read social media about the meeting yesterday, it contradicts what the writers said what happened vs what actually happened(according to the players on social media) I think they just wanted to get the owners attention on how far they are willing to go. I'm happy they took the step to show they're serious. Some things are bigger than basketball

and to all the people that complained about this. Look, your basketball was only inconvenienced for a few days. Happy now?

Realistically, any prolonged boycott would have ended up getting the season cancelled, whether the players wanted that to happen or not. The league already moved heaven and earth to bring this season back from hiatus once, there's no way they could have done it again.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#47 » by NippySudz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:54 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NippySudz wrote:

Realistically, any prolonged boycott would have ended up getting the season cancelled, whether the players wanted that to happen or not. The league already moved heaven and earth to bring this season back from hiatus once, there's no way they could have done it again.

Well, back to the norm I guess. Lets see what owners and lobbyists do now.

I am looking forward to seeing antidoc rhetoric back in the gamethreads as much as I hate to say it. Didn't want basketball to be canceled but if it did I would understand. I applaud the players for taking action into their hands and taking a stand. Even if it just delays the nba by a few days, it was worth doing.
NickP
Bench Warmer

Post#48 » by NickP » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:55 pm

And I'm glad if the season is going to resume. This way EVERY NBA PLAYER will have a podium and a voice. They'll all have the same opportunity as the mega stars to be heard.
My GF likes to watch the NBA but besides LeBron or Kawhi or some stars she has no idea who the players are. But when she heard what guys like Van Vleet and Lowry and Marcus Smart had to say she was moved.
This is good for all of them.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#49 » by NippySudz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:58 pm

NickP wrote:And I'm glad if the season is going to resume. This way EVERY NBA PLAYER will have a podium and a voice. They'll all have the same opportunity as the mega stars to be heard.
My GF likes to watch the NBA but besides LeBron or Kawhi or some stars she has no idea who the players are. But when she heard what guys like Van Vleet and Lowry and Marcus Smart had to say she was moved.
This is good for all of them.

I don't buy that for one second. I think the empty posturing like black lives matter on the court does nothing but make people feel good. I think its better to show hey, we're not some ponies. We could stop playing if you guys aren't serious about things being done. I bet they lost millions of dollars the past two days. I bet phone calls were made that were not made when they set up the bubble. I like the leverage they exercised. Hopefully something comes out of it.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#50 » by esqtvd » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:00 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-boycott-live-updates-players-agree-to-resume-playoffs-thursday-playoff-games-postponed-per-report/live/

Toldja. It's all kabuki. The script must be followed; the rituals observed. Now back to business.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#51 » by esqtvd » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:10 pm

Unless you've had to teach your son if you get pulled over don't move your hands, keep them on the wheel;
Unless you've ever been afraid of the law enforcement which is supposed to be protecting you;

A guy was shot in the freaking back seven times in front of his kids. And no weapon. And not a felon or other dangerous person.

Until you really understand what it's like, shut up. Go talk to a Black friend and ask some questions. You might learn something.
You might get very upset to realize what you've not been understanding, what you've been oblivious to your whole white middle class life.

Black Lives Matter.

There WAS a weapon. He WAS a felon, with outstanding warrants. He WAS dangerous in that he had ALREADY resisted arrest and was continuing to. And there is ZERO indication race was a factor.

This was the wrong hill to make a stand on. And keeping both hands on the wheel is a good idea for everybody. Is America BLM-ed out? We shall see. BLM ≠ black lives matter. It is a hyperpartisan political movement with a much bigger agenda than black lives.

A lot of people are hating on Jason Whitlock, but his voice matters too. Truth knows no color.

https://www.outkick.com/career-politicians-who-created-systemic-unfairness-are-playing-lebron-and-his-disciples-for-suckers/
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#52 » by NippySudz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:06 pm

esqtvd wrote:

Black Lives Matter.

There WAS a weapon. He WAS a felon, with outstanding warrants. He WAS dangerous in that he had ALREADY resisted arrest and was continuing to. And there is ZERO indication race was a factor.

This was the wrong hill to make a stand on. And keeping both hands on the wheel is a good idea for everybody. Is America BLM-ed out? We shall see. BLM ≠ black lives matter. It is a hyperpartisan political movement with a much bigger agenda than black lives.

A lot of people are hating on Jason Whitlock, but his voice matters too. Truth knows no color.

https://www.outkick.com/career-politicians-who-created-systemic-unfairness-are-playing-lebron-and-his-disciples-for-suckers/
Just a weird angle people have with BLM. Again, this is just right wing rhetoric. Saying BLM is by leftist opportunists to discredit what's going on

We can question the effectiveness of BLM movement but are we really going to act like the players are part of this BLM bodyhead playing politics??

It sounds very conspiratorial. All BLM is a movement. If I wanted to start a BLM chapter, I don't have to adhere to the guidelines they set forth. It's not a collective organizational body.

But enough politics talk for me now. Let's hope things get resolved and back to clippers basketball

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#53 » by esqtvd » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:13 pm

NippySudz wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Black Lives Matter.

Just a weird angle people have with BLM. Again, this is just right wing rhetoric. Saying BLM is by leftist opportunists to discredit what's going on

We can question the effectiveness of BLM movement but are we really going to act like the players are part of this BLM bodyhead playing politics.

It sounds very conspiratorial. All BLM is a movement. If I wanted to start a BLM chapter, I don't have to adhere to the guidelines they set forth. It's not a collective organizational body.

But enough politics talk for me now. Let's hope things get resolved and back to clippers basketball

It's all "rhetoric." So is what the players are saying. And many of us are tired of being told what we may think and what we may say about all this. I stand with Jason Whitlock. To keep the temperature down on our board, I'm not excerpting any of this, but I think people should read it for themselves and hear another point of view that's very rare to find anywhere in the media--or on sports boards.

Now, onto the playoffs. I wonder if this will decrease interest in them even further, or if they'e bottomed out. We shall see.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#54 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:40 pm

NippySudz wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
NippySudz wrote:I don't think they ever wanted to cancel the season. If you read social media about the meeting yesterday, it contradicts what the writers said what happened vs what actually happened(according to the players on social media) I think they just wanted to get the owners attention on how far they are willing to go. I'm happy they took the step to show they're serious. Some things are bigger than basketball

I am looking forward to seeing antidoc rhetoric back in the gamethreads as much as I hate to say it. Didn't want basketball to be canceled but if it did I would understand. I applaud the players for taking action into their hands and taking a stand. Even if it just delays the nba by a few days, it was worth doing.

We'll see, but the early results of the boycott aren't looking good:

Read on Twitter
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#55 » by NippySudz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:42 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Realistically, any prolonged boycott would have ended up getting the season cancelled, whether the players wanted that to happen or not. The league already moved heaven and earth to bring this season back from hiatus once, there's no way they could have done it again.

We'll see, but the early results of the boycott aren't looking good:

Read on Twitter
Glad he doesn't own any team I like

SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,829

Post#56 » by SK21209 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:50 pm

Well from a basketball perspective, a couple of extra days off probably helps Luka with his ankle and might even get KP back in the series. Everything protest-related aside, the slight delay could hurt us as I think we were in good position to crush them again.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#57 » by NippySudz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:51 pm

SK21209 wrote:Well from a basketball perspective, a couple of extra days off probably helps Luka with his ankle and might even get KP back in the series. Everything protest-related aside, the slight delay could hurt us as I think we were in good position to crush them again.
Gives Pat Bev time too

NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#58 » by NippySudz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:28 pm

esqtvd wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

We can question the effectiveness of BLM movement but are we really going to act like the players are part of this BLM bodyhead playing politics.

It's all "rhetoric." So is what the players are saying. And many of us are tired of being told what we may think and what we may say about all this. I stand with Jason Whitlock. To keep the temperature down on our board, I'm not excerpting any of this, but I think people should read it for themselves and hear another point of view that's very rare to find anywhere in the media--or on sports boards.

Now, onto the playoffs. I wonder if this will decrease interest in them even further, or if they'e bottomed out. We shall see.
Sorry I can't take an opinion of someone who said LeBron James can't face racism anymore because he's wealthy ( which is kinda funny considering Whitlock himself have shared instances of racial inequality even as a black rich pundit himself.) or someone that who dragged Kobe's name for over 20 years until he died.

Not a credible source for political commentary.

NickP
Bench Warmer

Post#59 » by NickP » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:44 pm

NippySudz wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
NippySudz wrote:Just a weird angle people have with BLM. Again, this is just right wing rhetoric. Saying BLM is by leftist opportunists to discredit what's going on

Sorry I can't take an opinion of someone who said LeBron James can't face racism anymore because he's wealthy or someone that who dragged Kobe's name for over 20 years until he died.

You're taking Jason's column the wrong way. He doesn't say LeBron doesn't face racism. But in context, what he's saying is the affluent lifestyle and where he lives makes it impossible for him to face what a black man elsewhere would.
LeBron is more concerned about growing his wealth. Why else would he call Darryl Morey "uneducated" when Morey took that stance against China?
When was the last time LeBron told Nike to bring their factories back in the USA because China has slave labor at less than $10 a week?
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#60 » by NippySudz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:49 pm

NickP wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Sorry I can't take an opinion of someone who said LeBron James can't face racism anymore because he's wealthy or someone that who dragged Kobe's name for over 20 years until he died.

You're taking Jason's column the wrong way. He doesn't say LeBron doesn't face racism. But in context, what he's saying is the affluent lifestyle and where he lives makes it impossible for him to face what a black man elsewhere would.
LeBron is more concerned about growing his wealth. Why else would he call Darryl Morey "uneducated" when Morey took that stance against China?
When was the last time LeBron told Nike to bring their factories back in the USA because China has slave labor at less than $10 a week?
He's been questioning LeBron's James blackness for years. I want to say even after LeBron James house was vandalized with racial slurs iirc. Think Whitlock and his readers are stretching it. I'm sure none of James family members distant of close don't face racism that impacts him in someway. Nah. Never. Everyone knows who his relatives are. I'm sure.

But we can get back to basketball. It's fine

Return to Los Angeles Clippers