ImageImageImageImageImage

Could Frank be our longterm answer at backup guard (PG/SG)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Zerostatic
General Manager
And1: 537

Could Frank be our longterm answer at backup guard (PG/SG) 

Post#1 » by Zerostatic » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:39 pm

Are we all set at backup guard? Frank Ntilikina seems to be the perfect backup PG/SG. He can play and guard either position. His ball handling and playmaking is adequate enough for a backup and his improvements in shooting (especially his free throw shooting) has made it so that he's not a liability and even suggest further growth is likely. He's always been a good character guy, the fans love him and he brings some international love for the franchise.

Personally,I hope we don't trade him. We're not going to get much for him and if we keep him we should be able to sign him to a cheap longterm deal. He still has some ceiling left and his floor is fairly high because a long defender at both guard spots will always be somewhat useful.

I'd hate to watch him be an important rotation player off the bench for some contender a few years from now like all the other young guys who we end up dumping just because they're not stars.

thoughts?
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Re: Could Frank be our longterm answer at backup guard (PG/SG) 

Post#2 » by BowlRips » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:40 pm

I think if he can show he can knock down shots consistently then he would be an ideal 3rd guard.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#3 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:06 pm

Frank is too slow for PG. Put him on wing and let him play off the ball. You can still have him guard the best perimeter player on defense.

I prefer to have an instant offense combo type as the backup.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#4 » by robillionaire » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:17 pm

Frank was starting to show a couple flashes before the season ended. He just had that 20 and 10 game. He had a handful of really nice moments last year. I don't want to give up on him yet. He may just be a late bloomer and he played through multiple toxic situations and bad coaches
Crackerjack465
Senior
And1: 673

Post#5 » by Crackerjack465 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:49 pm

I think so. He is not a starter IMO but I think he can be a really good 7th or 8th guy on a good team - maybe your first guard off the bench. He fits well in a lot of different combinations. If your other guard on the floor is a PG, he can play off the ball and still guard the best perimeter player. If you play with an off ball perimeter player, he can bring the ball up and initiate the offense (although I think I like him off ball better). Ex; I think he would work well on the blazers playing with both Dame and CJ.

If he can learn to hit the three a little better, he will have a long career in this league as a true 3 and D guy who you can count on to guard the other team's best perimeter player, 1-2, even some 3s.

I think ideally he works best off the ball with a scoring-centric guard who can shoot.

I have my doubts about how he would work with RJ though.
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,955

Post#6 » by ITGM » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:02 pm

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,205

Post#7 » by mpharris36 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:05 pm

where is sham? I heard he loves to talk about frank.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#8 » by Jose7 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:06 pm

I think he becomes more valuable this year with a cemented role under thibs and direction/guidance. Not this fake, swiss army, Batum type of player Fizdale kept imaging. At the same time, Frank has to knock down 3s, point blank. Until then no matter how dominant his defense is, he's an offensive liability.

Heres to Frank being a 36% 3pt shooter this year.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#9 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:10 pm

ITGM wrote:Image

Lmao

Ok so yeah I'm a huge Frank fan and I had to obviously lower my expectations of him developing into a starter, but you ain't gon lower my expectations lower than that. In some ways his role is more solid than anybody else but as a backup.

It does really matter who's ahead of him though. For example you go out and get a scoring PG of your dreams, maybe in this draft like a Killian Hayes of for some Cole or Kira then Frank seems to make the most sense as thier backup. But if you go get a guy like Haliburton or trade for Lonzo even though I think they are better prospects, really they are further along versions of him or in the same skillset. In that case maybe a guy like Smith Jr is the more valued skillset as you could just let him loose off the bench.

Aggressive scorer/Frank
Caretaker facillitator/ DSJ
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,025

Post#10 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:14 pm

He just turned 22, ideally we sign him to a show and prove type contract and he turns into a 36-40% three point shooter, that is literally all he needs to really stay on the floor. Someone like Danny Green didn't find their place in the league until they were 24, not willing to give up on Frank yet, just have to stop trotting him out there as a PG and allow him to play more SG.

There's a reason why so many good teams seem interested in him.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#11 » by robillionaire » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:22 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:He just turned 22, ideally we sign him to a show and prove type contract and he turns into a 36-40% three point shooter, that is literally all he needs to really stay on the floor. Someone like Danny Green didn't find their place in the league until they were 24, not willing to give up on Frank yet, just have to stop trotting him out there as a PG and allow him to play more SG.

I would do that but he may be fed up with this organization and their mishandling of him by now and be looking for a fresh start. if he wants to be here and buys into whatever thibs is selling and we can get him on a cheap extension I'd probably do it
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,025

Post#12 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:29 pm

robillionaire wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:He just turned 22, ideally we sign him to a show and prove type contract and he turns into a 36-40% three point shooter, that is literally all he needs to really stay on the floor. Someone like Danny Green didn't find their place in the league until they were 24, not willing to give up on Frank yet, just have to stop trotting him out there as a PG and allow him to play more SG.

I would do that but he may be fed up with this organization and their mishandling of him by now and be looking for a fresh start. if he wants to be here and buys into whatever thibs is selling and we can get him on a cheap extension I'd probably do it

We have his bird rights now and the option to match, I'd let him get an offer, see who the team is and match based on that :lol:

"Oh, the Spurs, Raptors and Warriors want you for 4 years 36 million? MATCH"
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#13 » by F N 11 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:36 pm

I would love for him to find a consistent role. He needs 25 plus minutes per game. Will probably be in at end of games. Nice secondary ball handler and can defend the other teams best player.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,414

Post#14 » by Synciere » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:45 pm

Well, at least expectations have been lowered to role player status. That’s a victory in itself. That said, once he starts shooting the three at a plus rate he’ll become an asset on offense. Right now he’s still a liability there.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,788

Post#15 » by Stannis » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:52 pm

He can't shoot, so no. Hate to be an ass, but this is a shooter's league.
Free Palestine
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,051

Post#16 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:07 pm

There’s 2 roles for him imo

1. 3 and D player off the bench. But he needs to be able to shoot.

2. Marcus Smart type player off the bench. Smart is more aggressive on both ends of the floor and a better facilitator though. So I guess this is his ceiling
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,097

Post#17 » by Juco24 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:11 pm

Look mom! Another Frank thread. LMBO
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#18 » by F N 11 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:17 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:There’s 2 roles for him imo

1. 3 and D player off the bench. But he needs to be able to shoot.

2. Marcus Smart type player off the bench. Smart is more aggressive on both ends of the floor and a better facilitator though. So I guess this is his ceiling

Marcus Smart role is absolutely what I see. Impacts the game and does not need the ball. I believe Frank will be better offensively though.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,866

Post#19 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:17 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:Frank is too slow for PG. Put him on wing and let him play off the ball. You can still have him guard the best perimeter player on defense.

I prefer to have an instant offense combo type as the backup.

Not every effective PG is quick. Mark Jackson wore lead boots, but he was effective, though he was a very physical guy who bodied his defenders.

Frank's issues were less about speed or quickness and more about decisiveness. When he doesn't hesitate he gets to the rack just like any other good penetrator.

And his hard work on his handle started to pay off as he began to show an ability to navigate to wherever he wanted on the floor which is one of the primary abilities you need in a point.

Frank is quite competent at the PnR. Our coaching most of his time here has not been competent and under-utilized the PnR.

Frank is big. He can see the floor.

I think he can handle the PG position if you commit to him. He's just one of those guys whose potential was going to take time and he was handled like garbage by the Knicks so far and he didn't crack. His confidence wavered a lot, but he hung in there and starting showing signs last season. I think he is a player that will continue to progress and reward patience.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Post#20 » by Fat » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:20 pm

Kid needs dreads to unlock his full potential
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams

Return to New York Knicks