ImageImageImageImageImage

Could Frank be our longterm answer at backup guard (PG/SG)

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,889

Re: Could Frank be our longterm answer at backup guard (PG/SG) 

Post#61 » by Jay10 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:19 pm

F N 11 wrote:

I would love for him to find a consistent role. He needs 25 plus minutes per game. Will probably be in at end of games. Nice secondary ball handler and can defend the other teams best player.

How long before we find out Frank and Jarrett Culver are related?
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#62 » by FutureKnicksGM » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:22 pm

I think he’ll be a great 2nd guard off the bench. Kind of like the guard equivalent of Lance Thomas that Dad Melo year (although Frank can pass of course unlike LT). Most role playing bench players will be getting vet min after Covid, so hopefully we could lock him up for a cheap extension ($4 mill per year).
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#63 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:46 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:He just turned 22, ideally we sign him to a show and prove type contract and he turns into a 36-40% three point shooter, that is literally all he needs to really stay on the floor. Someone like Danny Green didn't find their place in the league until they were 24, not willing to give up on Frank yet, just have to stop trotting him out there as a PG and allow him to play more SG.

There's a reason why so many good teams seem interested in him.

I like the idea but I disagree that he can't play PG. He defends PGs. And it really all depends on what your starter looks like. You don't have to go 3 deep with scoring PGs who penetration and kick. I always look at a backup PG as an alternative to the skillsets of your starter and sometimes the backup SG fits that too. Just for example say it was last yr you might've had Mudiay/Dotson cause Mudiay drives alot and Dotson offsets him with his off the ball skillset. And then off the bench Frank with Trier, frank being the caretaker/ defender and Trier being the more aggressive guard at SG. See what Im saying?

But in any case I won't argue too much if I see him at SG. He was actually drafted as a combo guard, its just when I see him at Sf that it annoys me like Fizz used to do cuz he had no idea what to do with him. But even as a Frank fan I gotta admit he wasn't giving people much to work with. I mean even for someone you'd consider a caretaker, most of those guys when the ball makes it back to them they can shoot. This season I think Frank made some strides. If the best of what you got this yr was what you could expect most nights then he can finally fulfill that role.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#64 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:48 pm

Jay10 wrote:
F N 11 wrote:

I would love for him to find a consistent role. He needs 25 plus minutes per game. Will probably be in at end of games. Nice secondary ball handler and can defend the other teams best player.

How long before we find out Frank and Jarrett Culver are related?

All I know is those kicks are fire.
Strick
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,364

Post#65 » by Strick » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:55 pm

:nod:
RGM Knicks BAF- Minnesota Timberwolves

PG: Coby|Ivey|Bones
SG: Monk|Dinwiddie|Smith Jr
SF: B Miller|Jalen J|Cissoko
PF: Paolo|Obi|Walker
C: SenGOON|Koloko|____
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,558

Post#66 » by Fat Kat » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:25 am

Strick wrote:

:nod:

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#67 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:36 am

I think Frank should be the favorite to start this season unless we pull off a major FA signing or a trade for one (e.g. FVV, CP3 types). I think we all agree by now that, barring a miracle, DSJ needs to go somehow/someway. Even if we draft Hayes or Kira, Frank should still start and the rookie can lead the second unit. If we don't draft a PG, then Frank definitely should start.

Why not? And, if not, who should?
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#68 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:37 am

I think Frank should be the favorite to start this season unless we pull off a major FA signing or a trade for one (e.g. FVV, CP3 types). I think we all agree by now that, barring a miracle, DSJ needs to go somehow/someway. Even if we draft Hayes or Kira, Frank should still start and the rookie can lead the second unit. If we don't draft a PG, then Frank definitely should start.

POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#69 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:38 am

POSTING POLICIES:
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,351

Post#70 » by F N 11 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:39 am

Franks defense and selflessness will carry him a long way.

His handle already took leaps. Now if the jumper takes leaps it’s over.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,679

Post#71 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:03 pm

2010 wrote:What happened to PG Kawhi/PG Giannis tho? Y'all gave up on the dream? :lol:

Spoiler:

i haven't. all these years and it's STILL not time to give up on him. i lament the lack of opportunity on bad teams more than anything.

look at his body this offseason. these are the kinds of things that contribute to that physicality and aggression he's been missing. i think it's on the uptick.

folks should be down for one more season under a coach who won't treat him like ass. lol.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
RealGM
And1: 39,071

Post#72 » by 2010 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:50 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
2010 wrote:What happened to PG Kawhi/PG Giannis tho? Y'all gave up on the dream? :lol:

Spoiler:

i haven't. all these years and it's STILL not time to give up on him. i lament the lack of opportunity on bad teams more than anything.

look at his body this offseason. these are the kinds of things that contribute to that physicality and aggression he's been missing. i think it's on the uptick.

folks should be down for one more season under a coach who won't treat him like ass. lol.

We shall see. But from what we have been shown his ceiling is nowhere near the heights most here projected. Even on bad teams, with mishandling, and lack of proper development, most star types show you flashes of possible stardom. Can’t say I’ve seen that from Frank. He has a place in the league for his defense alone. But I am pretty confident he’ll never be a player who is top 2 on his own team, let alone a top 30 player in the entire league. Which is what those Kawhi and Giannis comparisons were. And that’s low end cuz obviously Kawhi and Giannis are top 5 NBA players overall.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,679

Post#73 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:31 pm

2010 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Spoiler:

We shall see. But from what we have been shown his ceiling is nowhere near the heights most here projected. Even on bad teams, with mishandling, and lack of proper development, most star types show you flashes of possible stardom. Can’t say I’ve seen that from Frank. He has a place in the league for his defense alone. But I am pretty confident he’ll never be a player who is top 2 on his own team, let alone a top 30 player in the entire league. Which is what those Kawhi and Giannis comparisons were. And that’s low end cuz obviously Kawhi and Giannis are top 5 NBA players overall.

i can't speak for anyone else, but my kawhi comparisons for him have been related to playing style and physical comps. i never thought of frank's ceiling as a top 5 player in the league, but as an effective point guard who contributes to winning with similar approach and physical makeup.

the few times i invoked giannis, i did so in the sense that frank has the dimensions to be a similar kind of "freak" if he filled out and were more aggressive. frank's never going to be damn near 7 feet tall or 250 pounds, nor should he be. but a point guard version of that kind of physicial profile was the upside to watch for.

even frank's biggest supporters knew coming into the league that if he didn't both physically fill out AND find his aggression (these seem to go hand-in-hand), he was not likely to be a major contributor. that's why he was a player deemed as a project. but as we all see, his pliable talents of defense, IQ/court vision, passing, were high floor things that made him an NBA player altogether if little else went right.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,610

Post#74 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:39 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:I think Frank should be the favorite to start this season unless we pull off a major FA signing or a trade for one (e.g. FVV, CP3 types). I think we all agree by now that, barring a miracle, DSJ needs to go somehow/someway. Even if we draft Hayes or Kira, Frank should still start and the rookie can lead the second unit. If we don't draft a PG, then Frank definitely should start.

This feels a bit like dejavu
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,610

Post#75 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:40 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:I think Frank should be the favorite to start this season unless we pull off a major FA signing or a trade for one (e.g. FVV, CP3 types). I think we all agree by now that, barring a miracle, DSJ needs to go somehow/someway. Even if we draft Hayes or Kira, Frank should still start and the rookie can lead the second unit. If we don't draft a PG, then Frank definitely should start.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#76 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:43 am

KnicksGadfly wrote:

We started last season with coach Fizpoop. I'm hoping this conglomerate of basketball wizardry and acumen will see the light this coming season.
POSTING POLICIES:
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#77 » by bearadonisdna » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:34 am

backup guard why not?
,im more than ok with that.
his skillset is clearly that of a rotation player not a starter
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,233

Post#78 » by Zenzibar » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:12 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:

prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#79 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:25 pm

j4remi wrote:I think a swiss army knife role is perfect for where he's at in development. He could back up the 1 and 2 consistently, spot start if needed, play small ball SF for spells...his defense is always going to be a value added and he'll generally be able to give you a bit of what you need on offense assuming he's not asked to take on too big a role.

The value of Frank right now is in the flexibility he affords you with the bench you build and the upside he still offers as a 22 year old younger than some would-be draft picks. He's a late bloomer by NBA years but in age, he's still years away from his prime. I don't think you'll get that kind of flexibility or maneuverability back in a trade scenario.
Fiz had him pegged in the right spot.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
KnickMan
Pro Prospect
And1: 204

Post#80 » by KnickMan » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:51 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:Frank is too slow for PG. Put him on wing and let him play off the ball. You can still have him guard the best perimeter player on defense.

I prefer to have an instant offense combo type as the backup.

Not every effective PG is quick. Mark Jackson wore lead boots, but he was effective, though he was a very physical guy who bodied his defenders.

Frank's issues were less about speed or quickness and more about decisiveness. When he doesn't hesitate he gets to the rack just like any other good penetrator.

And his hard work on his handle started to pay off as he began to show an ability to navigate to wherever he wanted on the floor which is one of the primary abilities you need in a point.

Frank is quite competent at the PnR. Our coaching most of his time here has not been competent and under-utilized the PnR.

Frank is big. He can see the floor.

I think he can handle the PG position if you commit to him. He's just one of those guys whose potential was going to take time and he was handled like garbage by the Knicks so far and he didn't crack. His confidence wavered a lot, but he hung in there and starting showing signs last season. I think he is a player that will continue to progress and reward patience.

Mark Jackson played in a different era. I can’t think of too many current nba points as slow as Frank if any.

Kyle Lowry says hello.
"Tier 1 Asset Accumulation"
http://www.greatfinancialoptions.com

Return to New York Knicks