ImageImage

Prospect Thread: Anthony Edwards

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Re: Prospect Thread: Anthony Edwards 

Post#61 » by James Gatz » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:44 pm

Oladipo isn't really a great a comp imo. Edwards is a worse on ball defender and a significantly worse off ball one. I realize he is much younger than Dipo coming into the draft but even as a freshmen Oladipo played hard through out the game. Edwards was disinterested a best most of the time.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#62 » by BigSlam » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:27 pm

I don’t see the Oladipo compassions either.

I don’t think Edwards could work in a secondary facilitator type role - I’m probably wrong but I don’t think he’s ever really shown the ability to create for others by being a creative/effective passer or pseudo floor general like some like like Oladipo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,474

Post#63 » by LofJ » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:13 am

Oladipo wasn't a playmaker coming out of college, he developed that in the NBA. Edwards is better in that regard than Oladipo was when he was 18.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 949

Post#64 » by wilson115 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:12 am

How about comparing Edwards at this stage to guys who aren't primary ballhandlers? If the knock on him's decision-making and awareness, it might help to take the ball out of his hands to start his career and work on making his game more well-rounded. He gets knocked for his defense but the uploads say when he was locked in, he delivered. Right now there's Jaylen Brown, but young Jimmy Butler and of course Kawhi also started out as athletic defenders before they developed into more versatile contributors.

Obviously begs the question whether Edwards has it in him to step back and play a supporting role. Considering the potential on display, any work put in toward finding an answer is justified. Instead of just writing off the whole package because of the flaws.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#65 » by BigSlam » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:53 am

wilson115 wrote:How about comparing Edwards at this stage to guys who aren't primary ballhandlers? If the knock on him's decision-making and awareness, it might help to take the ball out of his hands to start his career and work on making his game more well-rounded

Right - Dion Waiters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,058

Post#66 » by JMAC3 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:03 am

I’m going to make another cross sport reference right now. Deshaun Watson was a stud in college, but by the time he went pro he wasn’t a sure fire first rounder in some scouts eyes let alone a top 5 pick.

What happens a lot of times is that if there aren’t a lot of things to critique a guy on you start to overemphasize the small stuff.

I just don’t believe this guy is just completely unaware out there, I also think he is much smarter than people are giving him credit for. It’s not like he is Derrick Rose dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,201

Post#67 » by amcoolio » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:44 am

Yikes. I don't like anything about his answers.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,371

Post#68 » by CuseMayne » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:52 am

amcoolio wrote:

Yikes. I don't like anything about his answers.

Yeah...didn't rub me the right way either. He's very unlikely to fall to us though. It will be interesting to see how much the BPA consensus will change between now and draft night, but I see the GSW trading their pick for anyone who falls in love with him or Ball.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#69 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:16 pm

So I'm roughly 6 minutes in and I'm totally good with everything I've heard. What did you guys want? Did you want him to be more humble?

What I saw was a confident young man, who is hungry to move up to the next level. It looked like he was open and honest most of the time, and only got rattled by the question about his weaknesses. He didn't want to sabotage his draft stock so he passed on that one.

I really appreciated how he spoke about how, early on, everything was easy for him and that developing a consistent training routine where he got up early and actually worked on parts of his game was really hard for him.

Today, as a much older dude, I see some overconfidence there, but at his age that's good. Is there something later on in that that I'm missing?
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,235

Post#70 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:17 am

He has no court vision. He is a ball hog who rarely kicks it out to the open shooter when driving. He can’t identify the mismatch when a big switches onto him and just settles for a jumper.

His defensive attitude and application is concerning to say the least.

He has alarmingly low basketball intelligence and vision.

I really hope he gets picked 1 or 2 and I think he will. Wiseman really doesn’t have that many major weaknesses and he’s my pick at 3 if he’s on the board. Ball being the next best but with a few more red flags than Wiseman.

I’m not saying he’s going to be terrible necessarily I just don’t see him being as good as Ball or Wiseman. My opinion might be in the minority here though in that regard as it seems most people here like Edwards more than I do.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#71 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:53 am

SWedd523 wrote:This is my #2 choice

I think Minnesota takes him though :nonono:

We might. Most of us on the RealGM board want Wiseman.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#72 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:54 am

LofJ wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:This is my #2 choice

I think Minnesota takes him though :nonono:

They have Russell and Beasley already, they also just picked another two guard sized player at 6 in last year's draft. They are drafting LaMello 100%, which means one of Wiseman or Edwards will be there for us.

Most of us hate Melo with a passion. Maybe one out of 10 of us interested in Ball. His shot is completely broken and I personally want nothing to do with him.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#73 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:55 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
wilson115 wrote:1. "Player development." James and Mitch have done a decent job here so far. See: Tae, Monk, all the guys we took in the 2nd.
2. Picking #3 in a draft with no guaranteed stars. Time to draft potential. Swing for the fences.
= Anthony Edwards.

If they're going for the best upside they pick Ball

Wolves fans perspective. Ball is horrible and we want nothing to do with him.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#74 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:58 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Undereducated gut feeling is that he would be the best long term fit for the Hornets. They really need a big time guy who can get his own shot. I think that Edwards is that guy long term. Fit with Devonte' & PJ is good too.

The T-Wolves could draft him if they don't take Melo.

Most of us Wolves fans on RealGM can't stand Melo.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#75 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:04 am

MasterIchiro wrote:It's very difficult to forecast 18 year old one-and-dones. I remember Beal being projected as an elite shooter even after he shot .339 from three in college as a kid. They must have known something to pick him 3. The scouts are talking about him as top tier in this draft for a reason. He has the tools and body to become a monster on the court. He looks impressive finishing with his athleticism or sticking a moon bomb from way out. His passing ability is a bit underrated. He looks to see the court really well by the eye test. If he falls to 3 it's a happy day for the Hornets. He reminds me of Donovan Mitchell with worse handles but maybe more range potential and power.

You're talking me into him, but I still prefer Wiseman for now.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#76 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:22 am

wilson115 wrote:Rob Dauster with one of the better takes I've seen:

At 6-foot-5 with a 6-foot-11 wingspan, he is an explosive athlete with the ability to completely take over games offensively....

No, the concerns with Edwards have nothing to do with potential or ability.

Where NBA teams are going to be worried is about is approach to the game....

The truth is this: Edwards does not have the same potential as a typical No. 1 pick. He likely won’t develop into the kind of franchise-altering talent that a player like Zion Williamson is. But he does have the potential to be an All-Star guard, a player that can average 20 points while playing elite, multi-positional defense.

But whoever drafts him is going to have to decide whether or not Edwards’ red flags are a result of a player in a bad situation at Georgia, or if they are an indicator that he’ll never be anything other than a gunner more interested in the highlights that come with the tough shots that he makes than being an efficient scorer and consistent defender.

https://sports.yahoo.com/anthony-edwards-importance-context-121717177.html

About 25% of us on the Wolves board want Edwards. 60% want Wiseman, and most of us want to avoid Melo at all costs with one or two dissenting opinions.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#77 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:24 am

amcoolio wrote:With his body, first step and handle you have to take him if he's there at 3. I don't think he will be though unless Ball has incredible workouts and Wiseman hits 3's in practice.

Some of you are talking me into him, but I'm not there yet. Wiseman.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#78 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:32 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:He has no court vision. He is a ball hog who rarely kicks it out to the open shooter when driving. He can’t identify the mismatch when a big switches onto him and just settles for a jumper.

I really hope he gets picked 1 or 2 and I think he will. Wiseman really doesn’t have that many major weaknesses and he’s my pick at 3 if he’s on the board. Ball being the next best but with a few more red flags than Wiseman.

I’m not saying he’s going to be terrible necessarily I just don’t see him being as good as Ball or Wiseman. My opinion might be in the minority here though in that regard as it seems most people here like Edwards more than I do.

Wiseman is probably the best player in the draft, but I can't see both the Wolves and Warriors passing on him. I would guess Ball would be who falls to you which would be kind of a waste to take him to compete with Graham and Rozier.
driveandkick
Pro Prospect
And1: 434

Post#79 » by driveandkick » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:13 am

KGdaBom wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:He has no court vision. He is a ball hog who rarely kicks it out to the open shooter when driving. He can’t identify the mismatch when a big switches onto him and just settles for a jumper.

Wiseman is probably the best player in the draft, but I can't see both the Wolves and Warriors passing on him. I would guess Ball would be who falls to you which would be kind of a waste to take him to compete with Graham and Rozier.

I promise having Terry Rozier on the roster will not have a shred of an impact on who we spend this pick on
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,235

Post#80 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:31 am

KGdaBom wrote:

I don’t see you guys drafting Wiseman as he plays in KAT’s position. I feel you’ll either pick Ball or Edwards but probably Edwards due to the fit issues with Russell and Ball and the concern about his jump shot.

The Warriors I then see drafting Ball to trade him to the team most desperate to give up a key win-now piece and future assets in exchange for his potential.

This is obviously no science and I might be wrong. I’d be disappointed if we miss out on Wiseman but I feel whoever is left of Ball or Edwards will be ok consolation prizes.

Return to Charlotte Hornets