2020 free agent targets and draft picks

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Re: 2020 free agent targets and draft picks 

Post#421 » by zzaj » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:00 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
The chances of Hood being anything close to the player he was pre-achilles injury are very small, sadly. He will most likely never be a starter in the NBA again, nor a big minute bench player. He wasn't great defensively to begin with, and as you point out his shooting numbers are more likely an anomaly when you take his career numbers into account. If your transactions were to take place, Hood would likely be behind both Trent and Simons.

I think there is a good chance Hood comes back and regains form by midseason. Medical science has come a very long way. He wasnt ever reliant on athleticism and his best attribute, shooting, shouldnt be impacted. That being said, I think GTJ and Simons are good insurance if he never regains form. You usually dont have that kind of talent to lean on while a starter is out.

Lillard / Napier
Hood / Trent Jr / Simons
Ariza / Crowder / Melo / (Nesmith) / Little
Harris / Collins / Gabriel
Nurkic / Kanter

I just don't see it happening in the NBA. Hood for his career has been a 42%/37% shooter. That will likely fall off like it does for everyone who has achilles surgery. One of Hood's go-to moves was shooting over smaller defenders in the mid-range, his lift on that will likely be gone as well. He was never a really special defender, and I would expect that to get significantly worse as well.

My best guess is that he will basically operate as a catch and shoot player...who knows how good he'll be at that.

I hope I'm wrong, but the history of that injury isn't good. Look at Wes as probably the best example--his shooting percentages went down and his defensive rating went up. That will likely happen to Hood.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#422 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:57 pm

I'm simply looking at stats and am not sold on Aaron Gordon, but admittedly I've not seen much of him either.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#423 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:04 am

CJ & Hezonja for Harris works to accomplish that deal. Ariza & Collins doesn't work in the ESPN Trade Machine. Is that something that would work once we get into the actual offseasons? Not sure if there is some type of hangups because it's still this season.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Post#424 » by Norm2953 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:51 am

With Dame's extension coming in 2021 for $196/4 with $31 Million for the upcoming season, Portland
will have to manage their cap carefully for they know they have to think about extensions for Nurk,
GTJ and Collins (if he ever gets healthy). Taking on Harris means another $17 million over four years
for he's completing his first season of his $180/5 max extension.

I think I'd rather flip CJ for AG for in Portland's system, he's a better version of Aminu and has is owed
$34 /2. It's simply nuts to take on a big contract unless its for an all-star caliber player.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#425 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:04 pm

With Dame's extension coming in 2021 for $196/4 with $31 Million for the upcoming season, Portland
will have to manage their cap carefully for they know they have to think about extensions for Nurk,
GTJ and Collins (if he ever gets healthy). Taking on Harris means another $17 million over four years
for he's completing his first season of his $180/5 max extension.

I think I'd rather flip CJ for AG for in Portland's system, he's a better version of Aminu and has is owed
$34 /2. It's simply nuts to take on a big contract unless its for an all-star caliber player.

This is a very reasonable take. Albeit I think AG is a PF much more than a SF, but the role we ask Zach to play, basically as a 3PT spacer, opens the court for a less shooting inclined guy like AG.

I would want more cheap talent/assets in the deal, but moving from CJ at 30M+ to AG at 16M or so would go a long ways in ensuring we can resign Nurkic. He will demand 20-25M per season, and we simply can be paying Dame the supermax, CJ a near max and Nurkic 20M. That would take like 80% of our cap, and isnt a trio anywhere close to vaulting us to a ring.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#426 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:22 pm

Here is my most recent swing:

1) PDX / DAL

PDX TRADES
Trevor Ariza (12.8M)

DAL TRADES
Delon Wright (9M / 8.5M)

WHY FOR PDX - We take on an extra year of salary to get a competent defensive minded swing guard. He is the big, long defensive compliment we have needed for years. His deal expires the same offseason we need to sign Nurkic which is an absolute necessity for anyone we bring in IMO. For taking him, we get pick 31 as Dallas overpays to open up 9M extra cap space for the 2021 frenzy.

WHY FOR DALLAS
They move a guy who dropped out of the rotation, open up 9M in cap space and get another long wing defender, which their fans are clamoring for.

2) Sign Jae Crowder for the full MLE over 2 years - He is the big swing forward we desperately need to match up with Kawai/PG/LBJ/Doncic/etc. We give him the full MLE but time it to expire as we need to pay Nurkic, same as the above trade.

3) Sign Kyle O'Quinn for the Vet Min - A playable big who is a good passer and wont gripe over minutes. He easily can be a 15mpg type and gives us high post passing, nice rebounding and decent defense.

4) Re-Sign Carmelo Anthony for the BAE - He is moved to the bench, but still fills a needed bench scoring role and seems to be a nice veteran presence in the locker room.

2020 NBA DRAFT

16 - Aleksej Pokusevski F - The team only takes a step forward to true contention if we add an all-star caliber player in the draft. Poku has tremendous potential and projects as a type of KVH/Kukoc hybrid. He doesnt give us immediate minutes, but that isnt a need right now. You swing big in R1, and we have been doing that as of late. Poku fits that pattern.

31 - Daniel Oturu C - We need another developmental C to eventually replace O'Quinn and potentially Zach if he shows improvement at PF. Oturu can shoot the 3, is a great rebounder and projects as a nice fit in the modern NBA.

46 - Abdoulaye N'Doye SF - A stasher, this kid started as a 6'2 PG but grew to 6'7 with a 7'2 wingspan. He is older, but a late bloomer who could be the next Batum if the stars align.

G - Damian Lillard (34) / Delon Wright (14)
G - CJ McCollum (32) / Gary Trent Jr (12) / Delon Wright (4)
F - Jae Crowder (14) / Rodney Hood (24) / Gary Trent Jr (10)
F - Zach Collins (14) / Carmelo Anthony (20) / Jae Crowder (14)
C - Jusuf Nurkic (28) / Zach Collins (10) / Kyle O'Quinn (10)

Deep Bench - Anfernee Simons G, Nassir Little F, Aleksej Pokusevski F, Weynen Gabriel F, Daniel Oturu
Overseas - Abdoulaye N'Doye SF
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#427 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:33 pm

Can we get Seth Curry back from the Mav's ad well?

I was looking at Miami's roster and they have money next season, but they have some guys to resign or need to find some new guys. What would it take to get Duncan Robinson? If the Blazers did move CJ, he could be a great scoring replacement. What would Harris from Brooklyn cost to sign?
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#428 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:36 am

Does this roster excite you?

Lillard / Napier / Simons
Trent Jr / Holiday / Thybulle
Ariza / Crowder / Hood
Harris / Melo / Gabriel
Nurkic / Collins / Labisserie

Sign Jae Crowder withers the MLE for 3 years (team option)

Trade the Bazemore TPE and #46 pick to Indiana for a 3 year S&T with Justin Holiday (team option)

Sign Skal Labissier and Shabbaz Napier to a 2 year veteran minimum contracts (team option)

Resign Wenyen Gabriel and Carmelo Anthony to a 2 year minimum contract (team option)

Trade CJ McCollum, Mario Hezonja, and #16 pick to Hiladelphia for Tobias Harris and Martisse Thybulle

Pick up the team option for Trevor Ariza

This roster provides lots of depth, versatility, and depth.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#429 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Dont think so. He is a perfect fit in their system and not all that expensive considering his reliable, elite 3PT shooting. IDK why they would trade someone who is so ideal next to Luka.

I was looking at Miami's roster and they have money next season, but they have some guys to resign or need to find some new guys. What would it take to get Duncan Robinson? If the Blazers did move CJ, he could be a great scoring replacement. What would Harris from Brooklyn cost to sign?

We dont have the assets to get Duncan. Miami is targeting 2021 FA's, and Duncan is not only possibly the best 3PT shooter in the league and an ideal fit next to stars, but his cap hold summer 2021 is only 2M. This means they can sign top tier FA while waiting to sign Duncan and then once they are done with their FA spree, sign him over the cap. Its an amazing position for them to be in and I dont see any way to pry him away. I wouldnt move him for a pick outside the top 8 in this draft, and even then probably dont do it. He is just an ideal fit for them.

Ariza / Crowder / Hood
Harris / Melo / Gabriel

This isnt bad. But IDK if Labissiere would return to be 3rd on the chart again. Also not sure I like the Holiday S&T when it pushes Thybulle to 3rd on the chart. Finally, I dont think PHI trades Thybulle in a CJ deal and dont know if a straight swap is worth it considering the extra year and enarly 50M in extra money Tobias is owed.

Crowder would be huge, but I presume true contenders will be offering him the MLE and IDK why he would choose us.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#430 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:42 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Dont think so. He is a perfect fit in their system and not all that expensive considering his reliable, elite 3PT shooting. IDK why they would trade someone who is so ideal next to Luka.

We dont have the assets to get Duncan. Miami is targeting 2021 FA's, and Duncan is not only possibly the best 3PT shooter in the league and an ideal fit next to stars, but his cap hold summer 2021 is only 2M. This means they can sign top tier FA while waiting to sign Duncan and then once they are done with their FA spree, sign him over the cap. Its an amazing position for them to be in and I dont see any way to pry him away. I wouldnt move him for a pick outside the top 8 in this draft, and even then probably dont do it. He is just an ideal fit for them.

Ariza / Crowder / Hood
Harris / Melo / Gabriel

This isnt bad. But IDK if Labissiere would return to be 3rd on the chart again. Also not sure I like the Holiday S&T when it pushes Thybulle to 3rd on the chart. Finally, I dont think PHI trades Thybulle in a CJ deal and dont know if a straight swap is worth it considering the extra year and enarly 50M in extra money Tobias is owed.

Crowder would be huge, but I presume true contenders will be offering him the MLE and IDK why he would choose us.

All valid points. I'm actually not sold on the Philly trade. Keeping CJ simply slides Collins back to PF. Skal could be the backup PF ahead of Melo depending on how each is playing. I liked Skal last year with the Blazers. I also have no clue what Hood will look like. The depth is pretty terrific and could present an opportunity at the trade deadline. Ariza would be gone next summer when Nurkic is due an extension. We'll have to wait and see what we have with Hood before deciding to let him go or resign him. I gotta admit, the lineup doesn't quite sit well with me at the SG position. Going from CJ to Trent Jr is a HUGE dropoff. I'm just hoping with Holiday, Thybulle, Simons, and Hood that it can help bridge the gap. Holiday shoots well from 3 and can play some defense. If the Blazers need to make a defensive stand, they could utilize any combination of Thybulle, Holiday, Trent Jr, Crowder, Ariza, Collins, and Nurkic. Portland goes from no defense last season (technically still this season) to having a decent defensive squad. After this season, I just like having depth at every position, which this certainly has.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#431 » by basketballRob » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:22 am

Aaron Gordon + Fournier = 35m for CJ and Hood = 35m.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#432 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:25 am

I kinda think I wanna keep CJ rather than trade him to Philly in my previous proposal.

McCollum / Trent Jr / Hood
Ariza / Crowder / Hezonja
Melo / Collins / Gabriel
Nurkic / Kanter / Labisserie

Still sign Crowder to the MLE and send the Bazemore TPE to Boston for Kanter.

Depending how Hood does when he comes back, I might try some type of consolidation trade with a combination of Hood, Hezonja, Simon's, and Trent Jr; maybe even Collins & Ariza depending on the return.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#433 » by GEE » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:15 am

I have no real proof of this, but I think the issue with the Sixers, may be that Embid and Simons simply don't like each other. I think it will be possible that one of them may get dealt, and EB may try to package another big salary for financial relief in "the process". Ha Ha. Anyway, the only guy I'd really want to get, is the guy they may least want to move, and that's Ben Simons. Problem is, I don't think he and Dame would look very good together. Simons / CJ / GTJ would be a decent trio though. All considering, don't think the Sixers are the team to deal with.

A trade of CJ for AG and Ross would be great IMO. Let that be the ground work, and tweak it as needed. Maybe we could also get their FRP pick, idk, an S&T'd MCW. Aside from player talent, it seems like it would allow for way more financial flexibility. Unless one truly believes the Blazers can get a ring with Dame and CJ, I'm just not sure it can be done, and certain of it if GTJ plays the 3.

If we can find a better CJ trade that upgrades our wing defense, while not losing the 20+ ppg input, I could be all for that too. Also like the idea of Crowder.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#434 » by Norm2953 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:43 pm

CJ with his extension is going to be making $129/4 while Simmons with an extra year will be making
$169.65/5 . Love the player but doubt Portland could financially commit to their next five years of
Dame/Ben for close to $400 Million. There are far cheaper alternatives to Simmons out there for Tobias
Harris who some love for Portland makes more than CJ for taking on more contract might be considered
but for an all-star level of player for I'd still trade Nurk/CJ for Emblid if I could.

The goal this off-season as it always is to not merely add bodies but to add better bodies. When is the last
time this team added a promising front court talent to their roster? Think about think a player (s) to slot
alongside of Dame/CJ and Nurk for I'd love to add a big, strong defensive minded front court talent especially
if Zach can't stay healthy along with our long needed SF.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#435 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:43 pm

Trade 1: Ariza for Wright+#31
Trade 2: TPE+#46 for Kanter+30

Draft:
#16- Pat Williams - 6'8 forward, good defender, shades of Paul George
#30- Daniel Oturu - 6'10 PF/C, very good defender, easily could be a Dieng type backup big
#31- Grant Riller - 6'3 scoring machine, totally an Olshey type pick

Resign Melo - BAE
Pick up Gabriel's option, buy out Mario
Best forward available for the MLE

Lillard - Wright - Simons
McCollum - Trent Jr - Riller
MLE/Melo - Little - Williams
MLE/Melo - Collins - Gabriel
Nurkic - Kanter - Oturu
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#436 » by Norm2953 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:58 pm

It will be interesting to see how Portland approaches the draft for NO is pretty good at finding talent
in the draft for this might one of these drafts where Portland uses their TPE to absorb a salary if that
allows them to move a couple of spots to get a player they have targeted.

The key is to add size and length up front one way or another if the team is to challenge the two LA
teams. With Lebron and AD on the Lakers and PG13 and Kawhi on the Clips along with Porzingas and
Luka on the Mavs, playing small up front with smaller guards gets the team beat in a 7 game series
when NBA teams can focus their energies to locking down defensively teams like Portland.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 1,997

Post#437 » by Village Idiot » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:01 am

Norm2953 wrote:It will be interesting to see how Portland approaches the draft for NO is pretty good at finding talent
in the draft for this might one of these drafts where Portland uses their TPE to absorb a salary if that
allows them to move a couple of spots to get a player they have targeted.

The key is to add size and length up front one way or another if the team is to challenge the two LA
teams. With Lebron and AD on the Lakers and PG13 and Kawhi on the Clips along with Porzingas and
Luka on the Mavs, playing small up front with smaller guards gets the team beat in a 7 game series
when NBA teams can focus their energies to locking down defensively teams like Portland.
The only guy I would target if we were to move up is Okongwu. He has a great feel for the game, especially defensively, and combined with his athleticism could be a all-defensive team caliber big. He's fairly raw offensively but I like what I see so far.

I think the carrot would be Simons and/or next years 1st. Detroit would be the team I'd target. Simons, Hezonja, #16 and a top 8 protected 2021 1st for the #7. That also puts us right above the luxury tax line for this year. I like Simons better than a lot of the top guards in this draft, perhaps the Pistons agree.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#438 » by Norm2953 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:27 pm

I’m thinking if the Blazers still being influenced by the Vulcans, would end up picking one of the UW
Bigs (Stewart or McDaniels) who roughly fall where they are picking at 16. Stewart is a below the rim
PF type perhaps like the guys like Mark Bryant who they have chosen in the past while McDaniels is
Like a softer Jonathan Issac, another 6-10 guy who wants to play SF.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#439 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:48 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Trade 1: Ariza for Wright+#31
Trade 2: TPE+#46 for Kanter+30

Draft:
#16- Pat Williams - 6'8 forward, good defender, shades of Paul George
#30- Daniel Oturu - 6'10 PF/C, very good defender, easily could be a Dieng type backup big
#31- Grant Riller - 6'3 scoring machine, totally an Olshey type pick

Resign Melo - BAE
Pick up Gabriel's option, buy out Mario
Best forward available for the MLE

Lillard - Wright - Simons
McCollum - Trent Jr - Riller
MLE/Melo - Little - Williams
MLE/Melo - Collins - Gabriel
Nurkic - Kanter - Oturu

Yuu lost Hood on your roster. Also, you have Melo starting at both forward positions. That's tough for a superstar in their prime to accomplish, let alone a 37 year old aging star.

Overall, even with Hood, that roster does not excite me enough. They need more!
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#440 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:28 pm

I'm not a fan of this guy, but if Sacramento wants to move his contract, what about a S&T?

Whiteside for Barnes

Does anyone like Bjelica? The Bazemore TPE would cover his contract. That would still leave the Blazers with their MLE and BAE to use.

Lillard / Simon's/ Hezonja
McCollum / Trent Jr
Hood / Ariza / Little
Melo / Bjelica
Nurkic / Collins

The Blazers are still a bit light up front. I would still try and move up to get Nesmith in the draft as the future starting SF.

Would OKC have any interest in Gallinari for Ariza, Trent Jr, Simon's, Little, and $5 million cash? Young talent, some cash, and maybe a future pick if necessary?

Then sign Crowder with the MLE.

Lillard / Hezonja
McCollum / Hood
Crowder / Melo
Gallinari / Bjelica
Nurkic / Collins
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018

Return to Portland Trail Blazers