Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#61 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:33 pm

I'm on board with Giles, Bender and maybe Josh Jackson.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#62 » by KqWIN » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:01 pm

Shaq Harrison might be at the top of my list. I think he's going to get guaranteed money at more than a minimum. I would target him with the biannual exception. He is a great defender with some ball handling ability. If he can make shots, he's a really nice player but still a nice player nonetheless.

I can't believe SAC declined Giles's 3rd year rookie option. He has a lot of skill and wasn't bad when he got to play last year. You can still see why he was the top recruit and how he might out in the NBA.

Jackson is a total homer inclusion but might be a good Mudiay replacement if he decides to leave.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#63 » by VCfor3 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:03 am

I feel like Josh Jackson will get more than just the min though it won't be a ton. Would UTA have any interest in something like Josh S&T for Davis+2nd if he does get offers for more than the min?
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#64 » by sipclip » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:09 am

KqWIN wrote:Young/Youngish players that we could target with minimums:

Shaq Harrison
Harry Giles
Josh Jackson
Frank Jackson
Caleb Martin
Dragan Bender

There are a lot of young players that I would target but these are my top guys.

Scal Labisierre
Frank Jackson
Marquese Chriss
Jared Vanderbilt
Stanley Johnson
Jahlil Okafor

When it comes to Josh Jackson it is hard to get past his stupidity but from a talent perspective he is the type of guy that we should be targeting because he does have solid starter potential.
Wolverine
Bench Warmer
And1: 111

Post#65 » by Wolverine » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:18 am

sipclip wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Young/Youngish players that we could target with minimums:

Shaq Harrison
Harry Giles
Josh Jackson
Frank Jackson
Caleb Martin
Dragan Bender

There are a lot of young players that I would target but these are my top guys.

Scal Labisierre
Frank Jackson
Marquese Chriss
Jared Vanderbilt
Stanley Johnson
Jahlil Okafor

When it comes to Josh Jackson it is hard to get past his stupidity but from a talent perspective he is the type of guy that we should be targeting because he does have solid starter potential.

Chriss should never be on a Jazz list hypothetical or not
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,284

Post#66 » by babyjax13 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:26 am

VCfor3 wrote:I feel like Josh Jackson will get more than just the min though it won't be a ton. Would UTA have any interest in something like Josh S&T for Davis+2nd if he does get offers for more than the min?

Depends on our evaluation of Jackson, but probably. If you can turn Davis into an NBA player, that's great.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#67 » by babyjax13 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:40 pm

I kind of am digging the idea of adding Favors with the MLE. Get rid of Ed Davis and Tony Bradley (in Favor of Derrick), retain Clarkson, draft a wing, decide what to do with Conley, play Bogey on the wing more. That's a pretty modest plan.

Gobert 34/Favors 14
Favors 12/Bogdanovic 16/Niang 12/Brantley 8
Bogdanovic 14/Ingles 26/O'neale 8
Mitchell 16/Clarkson 26/[Bolmaro/Oni] 6
Conley 30/Mitchell 18

I think that team would have beat Denver.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#68 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:00 am

I absolutely love Favors, but don't see how he helps this team instead of a wing, in the modern NBA.

Not sure we can just dump Davis and Bradley. They have little to no worth.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#69 » by KqWIN » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:51 am

babyjax13 wrote:I kind of am digging the idea of adding Favors with the MLE. Get rid of Ed Davis and Tony Bradley (in Favor of Derrick), retain Clarkson, draft a wing, decide what to do with Conley, play Bogey on the wing more. That's a pretty modest plan.

Gobert 34/Favors 14
Conley 30/Mitchell 18

I think you would have to pay a first to dump Davis+Bradley. Money is very tight these days. And even then, not sure we’d have enough room to fit Clarkson and a full MLE under the tax line. I am 99% sure the Jazz will not be a tax team.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#70 » by babyjax13 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:03 am

KqWIN wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I kind of am digging the idea of adding Favors with the MLE. Get rid of Ed Davis and Tony Bradley (in Favor of Derrick), retain Clarkson, draft a wing, decide what to do with Conley, play Bogey on the wing more. That's a pretty modest plan.

Gobert 34/Favors 14
Conley 30/Mitchell 18

I think you would have to pay a first to dump Davis+Bradley. Money is very tight these days. And even then, not sure we’d have enough room to fit Clarkson and a full MLE under the tax line. I am 99% sure the Jazz will not be a tax team.

I think a team will want Bradley, and I don't think the cost will change that much. Detroit and Atlanta are under the cap by a huge magnitude. But, that all remains to be seen.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#71 » by KqWIN » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:29 am

babyjax13 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

Gobert 34/Favors 14
Conley 30/Mitchell 18

I think a team will want Bradley, and I don't think the cost will change that much. Detroit and Atlanta are under the cap by a huge magnitude. But, that all remains to be seen.

I doubt it. If there was a team that wanted Bradley...why wouldn't we want Bradley then? Moving him is an admission that he's not rotation caliber. I don't think teams are eager to get a player who's trying to develop into a competent backup. Davis 100% would take assets to move on from.

The more I look at this summer, the more it looks like a rerun. I think we keep our pick, resign Clarkson, and that's it. There really isn't much wiggle room under the tax. I can't realistically expect a Conley trade, which is the only real area we could pivot.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#72 » by babyjax13 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:44 am

KqWIN wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

I doubt it. If there was a team that wanted Bradley...why wouldn't we want Bradley then? Moving him is an admission that he's not rotation caliber. I don't think teams are eager to get a player who's trying to develop into a competent backup. Davis 100% would take assets to move on from.

The more I look at this summer, the more it looks like a rerun. I think we keep our pick, resign Clarkson, and that's it. There really isn't much wiggle room under the tax. I can't realistically expect a Conley trade, which is the only real area we could pivot.

If you add Favors you basically have to move Bradley. He is rotation quality, though, I'm completely fine with him as the primary backup to Rudy.

JColl
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#73 » by red4hf » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:08 am

babyjax13 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

If you add Favors you basically have to move Bradley. He is rotation quality, though, I'm completely fine with him as the primary backup to Rudy.

Exactly, Favors is an improvement over Bradley, but that doesn't make Bradley useless for other teams...... He showed a lot of improvement last year...... But Favors for the MLE is too much...... For the $3.6 mil exception mentioned in the article would be just right......
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#74 » by babyjax13 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:50 am

I'm really quite interested in Christian Wood and Harry Giles. Wood is a UFA and would either need to accept the MLE, or a sign and trade, or Utah would need to create cap space (which if we move Conley and Davis for essentially nothing, we can do --- I posted this which was generally well received viewtopic.php?t=1998759 and afterward Utah would have $30 million in cap space minus whatever Clarkson signs for, or a $32 million TPE).

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#75 » by AingesBurner » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:58 pm

Count me in on offering Melo the full MLE.
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#76 » by KqWIN » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:08 am

Giles is probably a better prospect than anyone we could draft at #23. But we’re restricted to minimums unless we let Clarkson go.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#77 » by AingesBurner » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:53 am

KqWIN wrote:Giles is probably a better prospect than anyone we could draft at #23. But we’re restricted to minimums unless we let Clarkson go.

I’m pretty sure we will have the Full MLE.
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#78 » by KqWIN » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:43 am

GobertReport wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Giles is probably a better prospect than anyone we could draft at #23. But we’re restricted to minimums unless we let Clarkson go.

We do, but we can’t use it if we bring back Clarkson. We are not going to be a tax team, and if we are it means we’d only have the tax paying MLE.

So the only real options this off season are resign Clarkson, or let Clarkson go and use MLE plus BAE.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#79 » by AingesBurner » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:49 am

KqWIN wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

We do, but we can’t use it if we bring back Clarkson. We are not going to be a tax team, and if we are it means we’d only have the tax paying MLE.

So the only real options this off season are resign Clarkson, or let Clarkson go and use MLE plus BAE.

What does his contract have to be at to be below tax?
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#80 » by babyjax13 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:23 am

KqWIN wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

Cash + Ed Davis + 2 future 2nds to ATL or DET, and boom, there is your space.

JColl

Return to Utah Jazz