jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Re: A Drummond extension? 

Post#21 » by jbk1234 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:16 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
gflem wrote:As for a Drummond extension, I don't see why a two year extension with the second year a player/team option would necessarily be a bad thing if the money was ok. I mean, two years at a total of $32 mil, front loaded as much as is legal wouldn't be bad imo.
Even if we draft Wiseman he would not have the weight of being the savior of the franchise immediately, and if say Drummond's contract was something like 17 mil year one and 15 year two (not that he would definitely sign for that) he would be more tradeable going into year two with one year remaining either at this upcoming seasons deadline or after the season.
I just see him as a player that can bring back some assets at some point if the FO doesn't have to overpay to re-sign him. I feel the same about TT as well, though for me it is an either or situation. I really wouldn't want to see both players brought back. Now I wouldn't be heartbroken if neither is brought back but one or the other on a reasonable contract like I mentioned above (a bit less for TT than Drummond) could be a way to acquire some additional draft assets imo.
I don't see Drummond as being viewed as a positive asset on a contract at more than $8M per tbh. I think half the teams in the league have zero interest in starting a player like him at center night in and night out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

Considering the number of stretch 4's that can't play defense Drummond definitely has a place in the league and might get paid for what he does well which is rebound and alter/block shots in the paint. So I think a Love/Drummond front court is about the best pairing either could have in that instance. Though I definitely think TT is more of what the NBA is looking for as a big that can switch and play perimeter defense just his lack of shot blocking/altering hurts his overall value. Though the number of centers that can play perimeter defense/switch and alter/block shots well are what? 3 or 4 if that? Probably the biggest reason I'd be interested in Okongwu.
The problem is Drummond really doesn't have the quickness to defend the high PNR either. Now, if KPJ improves his defense this year enough to be a starter, then maybe he could switch onto some big men. But the high PNR is the most common offensive set run in the NBA and if you're not constructing a roster with that in mind, you're getting ready to take some Ls.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#22 » by Revenged25 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:41 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I don't see Drummond as being viewed as a positive asset on a contract at more than $8M per tbh. I think half the teams in the league have zero interest in starting a player like him at center night in and night out.

Considering the number of stretch 4's that can't play defense Drummond definitely has a place in the league and might get paid for what he does well which is rebound and alter/block shots in the paint. So I think a Love/Drummond front court is about the best pairing either could have in that instance. Though I definitely think TT is more of what the NBA is looking for as a big that can switch and play perimeter defense just his lack of shot blocking/altering hurts his overall value. Though the number of centers that can play perimeter defense/switch and alter/block shots well are what? 3 or 4 if that? Probably the biggest reason I'd be interested in Okongwu.
The problem is Drummond really doesn't have the quickness to defend the high PNR either. Now, if KPJ improves his defense this year enough to be a starter, then maybe he could switch onto some big men. But the high PNR is the most common offensive set run in the NBA and if you're not constructing a roster with that in mind, you're getting ready to take some Ls.

Aren't there some defenses that can help limit the problem such as zone defenses and other variations to them? The fact the NBA relies so heavily on man defense even if they don't have the personnel for it seems to be an issue with a lot of teams.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#23 » by JonFromVA » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:25 am

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Aren't there some defenses that can help limit the problem such as zone defenses and other variations to them? The fact the NBA relies so heavily on man defense even if they don't have the personnel for it seems to be an issue with a lot of teams.

When the goal is just to make the playoffs there's lots of ways to adjust the defense for a specific weakness ... it's just that we have so many including the inability to learn a defensive system.

Thanks to the Wizards time in the bubble, the Cavs were the leagues worst defensive team again. We even managed to fight off a Mike Longabardi led defense ...
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#24 » by Stillwater » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:46 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:The problem is Drummond really doesn't have the quickness to defend the high PNR either. Now, if KPJ improves his defense this year enough to be a starter, then maybe he could switch onto some big men. But the high PNR is the most common offensive set run in the NBA and if you're not constructing a roster with that in mind, you're getting ready to take some Ls.

When the goal is just to make the playoffs there's lots of ways to adjust the defense for a specific weakness ... it's just that we have so many including the inability to learn a defensive system.

Thanks to the Wizards time in the bubble, the Cavs were the leagues worst defensive team again. We even managed to fight off a Mike Longabardi led defense ...

they need to address the paint defense as much as they need to address the perimeter D but I dont expect them to do both unless they draft a big who can defend the paint and the perimeter= Okongwu 8-)
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by jbk1234 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:23 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Setting aside the fact that good outside shooting can tear up a zone pretty quickly, you shouldn't be building a team whose personnel are so poor defensively that you plan on needing a zone.

If the Cavs decide to go all in on Sexton at some point this season, then they should look to trade Garland (preferably after they've rehabilitated his value). Unless someone makes a decent offer for Love, which I deem unlikely prior to next summer, they've got no business extending Drummond.

It's one thing to say we're focused on development and evaluation. It's something altogether different to ignore the environment in which you're asking players to develop.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#26 » by Revenged25 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:41 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:The problem is Drummond really doesn't have the quickness to defend the high PNR either. Now, if KPJ improves his defense this year enough to be a starter, then maybe he could switch onto some big men. But the high PNR is the most common offensive set run in the NBA and if you're not constructing a roster with that in mind, you're getting ready to take some Ls.

Setting aside the fact that good outside shooting can tear up a zone pretty quickly, you shouldn't be building a team whose personnel are so poor defensively that you plan on needing a zone.

If the Cavs decide to go all in on Sexton at some point this season, then they should look to trade Garland (preferably after they've rehabilitated his value). Unless someone makes a decent offer for Love, which I deem unlikely prior to next summer, they've got no business extending Drummond.

It's one thing to say we're focused on development and evaluation. It's something altogether different to ignore the environment in which you're asking players to develop.

Well when your team is built already you should probably try to use the best systems, game plans, and rotations to maximize their ability to win. I was just thinking that maybe a zone or some other scheme might be best considering the personnel that is on the roster.

I think having Garland and Sexton isn't a bad thing, just not being forced together on the court for the majority of the game. Having two guards that can hopefully run an offense is something most teams dream of.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:52 am

This team had the second worst record in the league for two years in a row. The first half of last season was legitimately the worst basketball I've witnessed the Cavs play since the Ricky Davis era. Obviously, you want to make adjustments to avoid that type of outcome, but we're not a .500 team. If you're going to go through this horror show, you should be building towards something other than a tenth seed.

Prematurely overpaying limited veterans is one of the worst moves you can make IMO. You don't have cap space to trade, or use in F.A., and you're still not good. The Cavs are in a very good situation in terms of cap space right now. They should keep it that way until a deal too good to pass up comes along.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#28 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:57 pm

jbk1234 wrote:This team had the second worst record in the league for two years in a row. The first half of last season was legitimately the worst basketball I've witnessed the Cavs play since the Ricky Davis era. Obviously, you want to make adjustments to avoid that type of outcome, but we're not a .500 team. If you're going to go through this horror show, you should be building towards something other than a tenth seed.

Prematurely overpaying limited veterans is one of the worst moves you can make IMO. You don't have cap space to trade, or use in F.A., and you're still not good. The Cavs are in a very good situation in terms of cap space right now. They should keep it that way until a deal too good to pass up comes along.

Just keep in mind what "good deals" look like for a team like the Cavs. It's probably going to be a an under-valued player around the age of 25-27 that disappointed his previous team but "finds" himself on a his new team after getting "kicked to the curb" or whatever.

My point is, maybe it's not Drummond, but it may very well feel like Drummond.

If we choose to roll the dice on Andre or simply leverage him as a Thompson replacement, my hope we don't overpay him. Having players that contribute on solid deals brings value too.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#29 » by MotownMadness » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:31 pm

Drummonds problem is more mental where hes just not as passionate about the game consistently enough to have a big impact.

Its wierd cause it's a rough claim to make when the guy can avg the type of numbers he can and grab 20 20s. But I would be very skeptical paying him big money that hes gonna want cause of his big raw numbers he produces in his sleep.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:36 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:This team had the second worst record in the league for two years in a row. The first half of last season was legitimately the worst basketball I've witnessed the Cavs play since the Ricky Davis era. Obviously, you want to make adjustments to avoid that type of outcome, but we're not a .500 team. If you're going to go through this horror show, you should be building towards something other than a tenth seed.

Just keep in mind what "good deals" look like for a team like the Cavs. It's probably going to be a an under-valued player around the age of 25-27 that disappointed his previous team but "finds" himself on a his new team after getting "kicked to the curb" or whatever.

If we choose to roll the dice on Andre or simply leverage him as a Thompson replacement, my hope we don't overpay him. Having players that contribute on solid deals brings value too.
Oh, I'm happy to have decent players on good deals. I thought the DAJ contract with the Nets was a sign of how the market was going to treat traditional centers before Covid. Now I'm not so sure that guys like TT and Drummond will even find $10M per on the open market.

There is also the possibility that his $28M expiring contract could prove to be the most valuable trade asset on the Cavs roster by the deadline. The F.O. shouldn't do anything to impair its value.

Finally, I think there are better deals out there than trading for players like Drummond who are looking to get paid. Rebuilding teams can always use picks and the Magic have too many young front court players while desperately needing back court help.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#31 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:22 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Drummonds problem is more mental where hes just not as passionate about the game consistently enough to have a big impact.

Its wierd cause it's a rough claim to make when the guy can avg the type of numbers he can and grab 20 20s. But I would be very skeptical paying him big money that hes gonna want cause of his big raw numbers he produces in his sleep.

Detroit was probably in a can't win situation with Andre because he was going to see any hesitancy on the Piston's behalf to pay him as a betrayal, but even before Covid hit, it was crystal clear nobody wanted to pay him a max deal let alone give up something of value.

I'm a big fan of on-court/off-court data especially when trying to evaluate a player you suspect is putting up "empty stats", and while it's a mixed bag for Andre, he has put up some impressive numbers when he had the right/healthy mix around him. Does that make him a potential franchise player? Nah, but I think he can contribute to winning if used well.

It's hard to predict if a player will change, especially who's already banked over $100M in his career. I'm just saying these are typically the kind of circumstances where it happens (kicked to the curb and entering his prime).

But if we can reset his salary to around the $18M level, I'm not even going to sweat it.

If we had some open cap space, it would had been fun in the current economy to buy some more draft picks; but how many 19/20 yr olds can we develop at a time? As-is, some of our young players are going to struggle to get minutes unless/until there are injuries.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#32 » by MotownMadness » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:33 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Drummonds problem is more mental where hes just not as passionate about the game consistently enough to have a big impact.

Detroit was probably in a can't win situation with Andre because he was going to see any hesitancy on the Piston's behalf to pay him as a betrayal, but even before Covid hit, it was crystal clear nobody wanted to pay him a max deal let alone give up something of value.

I'm a big fan of on-court/off-court data especially when trying to evaluate a player you suspect is putting up "empty stats", and while it's a mixed bag for Andre, he has put up some impressive numbers when he had the right/healthy mix around him. Does that make him a potential franchise player? Nah, but I think he can contribute to winning if used well.

It's hard to predict if a player will change, especially who's already banked over $100M in his career. I'm just saying these are typically the kind of circumstances where it happens (kicked to the curb and entering his prime).

But if we can reset his salary to around the $18M level, I'm not even going to sweat it.

If we had some open cap space, it would had been fun in the current economy to buy some more draft picks; but how many 19/20 yr olds can we develop at a time? As-is, some of our young players are going to struggle to get minutes unless/until there are injuries.

Yeah we would have kept him at around that 16-18 mil per year number but he just shown all indications of wanting the max and it wasn't going to happen. That's why the Hawks backed off a trade as well because of what he was wanting in a extension.

If he realizes the money just isn't there and accepts the price we are talking about then yeah I would just take him cause while not having a star type impact he can still be a exciting player and dominate at times.

Or he goes all out next year and slacks off again after getting paid. That's just always been his issue is his motor. It's what caused him to slip in the draft and have no fan support in Detroit after 8 years of it.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#33 » by Revenged25 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:22 pm

I would go as high as 20/yr for Drummond if they can front load it since they are going to have a lot of cap tied up with Love regardless. So a 5 yr/ 100 extension would have his cap numbers at:

19,861,639.84 (Loves last season)

So the final 2 seasons without Love eating up a lot of the cap space has him at the 16-18 range that people wanted.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#34 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:48 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Yeah we would have kept him at around that 16-18 mil per year number but he just shown all indications of wanting the max and it wasn't going to happen. That's why the Hawks backed off a trade as well because of what he was wanting in a extension.

If he realizes the money just isn't there and accepts the price we are talking about then yeah I would just take him cause while not having a star type impact he can still be a exciting player and dominate at times.

Or he goes all out next year and slacks off again after getting paid. That's just always been his issue is his motor. It's what caused him to slip in the draft and have no fan support in Detroit after 8 years of it.

Yeah, fans tend to turn on players when they're getting paid more than the expectations for them. Andre has certainly improved his game, just not $28M in improvements.

We're in a similar situation with Tristan Thompson and that presumably has a lot to do with us trading for Andre. The best way to get something you want at a fair price is to not be desperate when entering negotiations, to have an alternative, and to be willing to walk away. I'm not sure whether the Cavs should be valuing offensive rebounding soo highly, but they are sitting on two of the best in the league at that particular de-valued skill.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#35 » by Stillwater » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:58 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Oh, I'm happy to have decent players on good deals. I thought the DAJ contract with the Nets was a sign of how the market was going to treat traditional centers before Covid. Now I'm not so sure that guys like TT and Drummond will even find $10M per on the open market.

There is also the possibility that his $28M expiring contract could prove to be the most valuable trade asset on the Cavs roster by the deadline. The F.O. shouldn't do anything to impair its value.

Finally, I think there are better deals out there than trading for players like Drummond who are looking to get paid. Rebuilding teams can always use picks and the Magic have too many young front court players while desperately needing back court help.

THIS
I think the entire point "initially" of bringing him in was a test drive to try to get a read on if having a dominant true 7' er presence on the glass would open up the game for Sexton and or Garland probably moresoe the latter because of his struggles. However despite it seeming to help some overall in a small window before the season was cut short I think it helped Love more than anybody.
My guess is since they are pretty much out of the Wiseman range without some bad medicals or something they might just pay Dre instead if its true Dan is eager to win this season instead of rebuilding slow and steady.
I would just draft Okongwu and trade Dre at the dl for a 21 1st and some role players. and try to focus on making the playoffs in 21-22
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#36 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:29 pm

btw, if other Pistons fans would like to share their thoughts, reminiscence, or vent about Andre, I doubt anyone would think of it as trolling. The Cavs fan base didn't exactly become attached to Andre after just 8 games and we have little invested in him.

Speaking for myself, anyway, I'd like to hear more about him.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by jbk1234 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 2:23 am

Revenged25 wrote:I would go as high as 20/yr for Drummond if they can front load it since they are going to have a lot of cap tied up with Love regardless. So a 5 yr/ 100 extension would have his cap numbers at:

So the final 2 seasons without Love eating up a lot of the cap space has him at the 16-18 range that people wanted.
See, a $100M extension, after a pretty meh three week tryout, just seems crazy to me.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#38 » by Revenged25 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 11:18 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:I would go as high as 20/yr for Drummond if they can front load it since they are going to have a lot of cap tied up with Love regardless. So a 5 yr/ 100 extension would have his cap numbers at:

See, a $100M extension, after a pretty meh three week tryout, just seems crazy to me.

Oh, I completely understand the concern there, but if we wanted to lower teh cap hit this year and have him locked in till he's 30 and at a reasonable price while Love is here, I'd take the chance if we weren't able to get Wiseman/Okongwu
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by jbk1234 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 4:50 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Oh, I completely understand the concern there, but if we wanted to lower teh cap hit this year and have him locked in till he's 30 and at a reasonable price while Love is here, I'd take the chance if we weren't able to get Wiseman/Okongwu

For me, they have an entire season to evaluate. They need to use it. Twenty million may, or may not, be a reasonable price. The only downside is Drummond performs so well this year he can't be re-signed at $20M per which seems extraordinarily unlikely for an entire laundry list of reasons.

The downside to extending early are as follows: (1) losing the opportunity to trade his expiring contract ahead of a summer where cap space will be at a premium; (2) he doesn't prove to be a particularly good fit with the younger guys and you either sacrifice their development or bring him off the bench; and (3) the rest of the league doesn't think he's worth the contract, you get stuck with him, or worse, have to trade him for an even worse deal without proper compensation.

No. 2 concerns me the most. Love is a pretty easy guy to fit into a roster so long as you have a big who can provide some rim protection while rotating over to help and/or you aren't starting two guards who are traffic cones defensively. But offensively, he gives you all the spacing you could want out of the PF position and he's a willing passer so long as the ball moves. Drummond isn't a plug and play guy. You have to make adjustments on the offensive end. The Cavs really need to take at least the first half of the season and see how it works before offering him an extension.

We're going to have spent five first round picks, three in the top 10, on this roster and we need to know what we have with them before making long-term decisions. The only thing worse than missing on a pick is hitting on it, hampering development due to roster construction, and watching that player shine with another team. See, e.g., the Orlando Magic.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#40 » by Revenged25 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 4:57 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:See, a $100M extension, after a pretty meh three week tryout, just seems crazy to me.

For me, they have an entire season to evaluate. They need to use it. Twenty million may, or may not, be a reasonable price. The only downside is Drummond performs so well this year he can't be re-signed at $20M per which seems extraordinarily unlikely for an entire laundry list of reasons.

The downside to extending early are as follows: (1) losing the opportunity to trade his expiring contract ahead of a summer where cap space will be at a premium; (2) he doesn't prove to be a particularly good fit with the younger guys and you either sacrifice their development or bring him off the bench; and (3) the rest of the league doesn't think he's worth the contract, you get stuck with him, or worse, have to trade him for an even worse deal without proper compensation.

No. 2 concerns me the most. Love is a pretty easy guy to fit into a roster so long as you have a big who can provide some rim protection while rotating over to help and/or you aren't starting two guards who are traffic cones defensively. But offensively, he gives you all the spacing you could want out of the PF position and he's a willing passer so long as the ball moves. Drummond isn't a plug and play guy. You have to make adjustments on the offensive end. The Cavs really need to take at least the first half of the season and see how it works before offering him an extension.

We're going to have spent five first round picks, three in the top 10, on this roster and we need to know what we have with them before making long-term decisions. The only thing worse than missing on a pick is hitting on it, hampering development due to roster construction, and watching that player shine with another team. See, e.g., the Orlando Magic.

Fair. Maybe give him half the season and if it looks working out go for a 4 year extension. Regardless I don't really want him on the roster past Love's time on the roster but I think he would want a longer deal with more money.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers