ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

OntZags
Ballboy
And1: 10

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#3481 » by OntZags » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:54 am

frumble wrote:Re the discussion of non NBA bigs, anyone know Bennett's health status and where he is going to be playing when he returns?

All I've seen is right knee 'soreness'. Nurse has already mentioned the difficulty in getting deep in the rotation during important games (with Rondae/Boucher/Thomas seeing little run when every1 is a go) so I'd be shocked to see him getting any action in Orlando barring serious injury flare up. Too far down the depth chart.

I believe two-ways are only 1 year deals so he'd be back in the marketplace. My intuition is he has shown enough to be brought back on a 2-way (the other Raptor 2-way is an older guy in Watson who I'm not sure has NBA rotation upside) but somebody could come calling with a better offer or the Raps might opt to go for some undrafted rookies this season. Not much clarity on his status at the moment but he's definitely a guy to keep in mind as a quality national team contributor, perhaps especially so if he winds up in Europe.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#3482 » by Hair Canada » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:11 am

casoldi wrote:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nUTHTn-fMt7YgZfpP3JIFqmR0zxNt3-OeWVc-gVpP3w/edit?usp=sharing

This is the spreadsheet I update to keep track of which schools the young recruits commit to. I couldn't find something similar online so I decided to make one.

Don't look past 2020 it's not up to date.

Nice project!

I believe that Khalifa Koulamallah actually de-committed from South Dakota (citing COVID19 as the reason) and decided to stay in Canada instead -- he'll play for the Carleton Ravens.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,880

Post#3483 » by mojo13 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:11 pm

OntZags wrote:
frumble wrote:Re the discussion of non NBA bigs, anyone know Bennett's health status and where he is going to be playing when he returns?

All I've seen is right knee 'soreness'. Nurse has already mentioned the difficulty in getting deep in the rotation during important games (with Rondae/Boucher/Thomas seeing little run when every1 is a go) so I'd be shocked to see him getting any action in Orlando barring serious injury flare up. Too far down the depth chart.

I believe two-ways are only 1 year deals so he'd be back in the marketplace. My intuition is he has shown enough to be brought back on a 2-way (the other Raptor 2-way is an older guy in Watson who I'm not sure has NBA rotation upside) but somebody could come calling with a better offer or the Raps might opt to go for some undrafted rookies this season. Not much clarity on his status at the moment but he's definitely a guy to keep in mind as a quality national team contributor, perhaps especially so if he winds up in Europe.

I think you read that too quickly. The question was about Anthony Bennett.

I have not heard much at all since his knee surgery that took him out of the Rockets training camp. I've looked around too.

I think Blake Murphy looked an said his rights were still help by Agua Caliente Clippers if he returns to the G. But I have no idea on how he has recovered, if he is training or what his plans are. I did hear something about a clothing line a few months back - but that is about it.
Kenter16
Junior
And1: 91

Post#3484 » by Kenter16 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:34 pm

Some real promising performances the last couple days by our Canadian boys.
Nikeil Alexander-Walker got the start in a meaningless game last night and really showed his potential. 29 points, 7 assists and one steal. Showed how he can get to the rim against NBA talent. He did have a few bad turnovers in the first half, but settled in and made some good decisions. Hopefully he gets more minutes next season.
Chris Boucher is getting minutes since the Raptors clinched 2nd spot. He just puts up number when he plays. It's impressive. Looks like he has improved his 3 pt shooting during the shutdown, albeit a small sample.
Dillon Brooks had a great game to get Mephis in the play-in game. When he is on, he's on. He just needs to find out how to be on more often.
Hopefully Lu Dort's knee injury isn't serious. He fits in well with that OKC team. He is pure energy and is fun to watch.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#3485 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:44 pm

I just realized when I listed Canada's EuroLeague players that I forgot the by far best player Canada ever had that played in the EuroLeague.

Mike Jackel - basically Canada's GOAT EuroLeague player.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3486 » by mojo13 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:51 pm

Bump for the greatness of Jamal Murray
In the 6 games so far:

Jamal Murray so far in this series:
34.0 PPG
6.7 APG
6.2 RPG
59/57/91 splits

Jamal Murray is the first player since Allen Iverson in 2001 to have three straight 40+ point playoff games. Over those last three games Jamal Murray is AVERAGING:
47.3 points per game,
8.0 rebounds,
7.0 assists and,
7.3 made 3-pointers

while shooting...

64% from the floor,
63% from 3-point range,
89% from the free-throw stripe

Those 142 points are the most in a 3 game post-season stretch since MJ did it in 1988 with 143.

Records...records..records....

These 40-50 point games shouldn't be too much of a surprise to Canadian fans....Murray has shown to have this in him. It is consistency that always plagued him. To do this for three straight is the breakout we've been looking for.

That shot making, killer instinct could really carry Canada far if we ever pull it all together.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,311

Post#3487 » by Tor_Raps » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:34 pm

I am so pumped to hopefully see Team Canada play one day. If we end up having a 2021 team, I see the following depth chart:

PG Murray/ Joseph/ Dort
SG Shai/ Brooks/ Nickael
SF Wiggins/ Barrett
PF Olynyk/ Powell/ Lyles/ Boucher
C Thompson/ Clarke/ Birch

Edit - updated the potential depth chart.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3488 » by mojo13 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:11 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:I am so pumped to hopefully see Team Canada play one day. If we end up having a 2021 team, I see the following depth chart:

PG Murray/ Joseph/ Dort
SG Shai/ Brooks/ Nickael
SF Wiggins/ Lyles
PF Barrett/ Olynyk/ Boucher
C Thompson/ Clarke/ Powell/ Birch

Or maybe start Olynyk over Barrett to better spread the depth.

Why would Barrett start at PF over, let's say Clarke, who had a way better rookie season and is currently a way better player. And is a PF too! Let alone Olynyk who has been Canada's best FIBA player for the past 5-7 years. Powell & Boucher are both much better options too. Even then Brooks, Dort, CoJo are all better players than Barrett today. Barrett next summer? Who knows, but.....Knicks.

Anyways....its all moot this point. People better be hoping the next rendition of Team Canada looks more like this:

Guards:
Kevin Pangos, Tyler Ennis, Phil Scrubb, Dylan Ennis

Wings
Nik Stauskas, Dyshawn Pierre, Thomas Scrubb, Melvin Ejim

Bigs
Andrew Nicholson, Kyle Wiltjer, Owen Klassen, Connor Morgan

That's probably the best we can do for the June Qualifiers in Victoria. Unless by some miracle the timing works out for a few NBA guys who miss the playoffs.

Honestly....at this point it seems less than 50/50 we even make the Olympics. Greece is going to have a better team on paper. Turkey and Czech could be equivalents to Canada, but at least both are hurt badly by missing NBA players as well.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#3489 » by Tor_Raps » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:53 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:I am so pumped to hopefully see Team Canada play one day. If we end up having a 2021 team, I see the following depth chart:

PG Murray/ Joseph/ Dort
SG Shai/ Brooks/ Nickael
SF Wiggins/ Lyles

Why would Barrett start at PF over, let's say Clarke, who had a way better rookie season and is currently a way better player. And is a PF too! Let alone Olynyk who has been Canada's best FIBA player for the past 5-7 years. Powell & Boucher are both much better options too. Even then Brooks, Dort, CoJo are all better players than Barrett today. Barrett next summer? Who knows, but.....Knicks.

Anyways....its all moot this point. People better be hoping the next rendition of Team Canada looks more like this:

Guards:

Wings

Bigs

That's probably the best we can do for the June Qualifiers in Victoria. Unless by some miracle the timing works out for a few NBA guys who miss the playoffs.

Honestly....at this point it seems less than 50/50 we even make the Olympics. Greece is going to have a better team on paper. Turkey and Czech could be equivalents to Canada, but at least both are hurt badly by missing NBA players as well.

Only reason why I had Barrett there at PF was because I am hoping he takes a huge step next season. If he does, it might be to a point where he's too good to come off the bench.

I agree that as it stands now, id rather have Olynyk starting. It also helps balance the overall lineup better too. I stated that at the bottom of my lineup projection for very reason if Barrett disappoints next season lol.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3490 » by mojo13 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:56 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
mojo13 wrote:

PG Murray/ Joseph/ Dort
SG Shai/ Brooks/ Nickael
SF Wiggins/ Lyles

Guards:

Wings

Bigs

Only reason why I had Barrett there at PF was because I am hoping he takes a huge step next season. If he does, it might be to a point where he's too good to come off the bench.

I agree that as it stands now, id rather have Olynyk starting. It also helps balance the overall lineup better too. I stated that at the bottom of my lineup projection for very reason if Barrett disappoints next season lol.

I am with you in hoping Barrett takes a HUGE step next year. But I prefer to advocate for what they are rather than what I hope they may be.

RJ Barrett shooting splits this season: 40/32/61 with .48 TS%
Brandon Clarke: 62/36/76 with .66 TS%
Kelly Olynyk: 46/41/86 with .62 TS%
The later two are actually bigs where Barrett is a guard who could get by as a wing.

Brandon Clarke just put in an historically efficient year let alone rookie campaign. Barrett on the other hand was pretty mediocre (if not pretty bad). He is young and hopefully improves but saying he will be better than Clarke, Olynyk, Powell, Brooks, Dort or whoever by next summer is very speculative. At this point no one is sure if Barrett is more Wiggins or Murray/SGA. He's young and by all accounts has the heart and drive but has to fix that shot ASAP. He is not close to my Top 5 right now and may not be Top 10. Hopefully he is firmly Top 10 by next summer, but I'm doubtful he'd be Top 5.

Always tough to rank players but if I went by tiers it would be:
1. Murray, SGA, Wiggins
2. TT, KO, Brooks, Clarke, Powell
3. Dort, Barrett, CoJo, Birch, Lyles, Boucher
4. NAW, Kabengele, Long, Mulder, Shayok, Alexander, Brazdeikis, Brissett

Bunch of non-NBA guys I'd stick in Tier 4 - Nik Stauskas, Tyler Ennis, Andrew Nicholson, Kevin Pangos, Dylan Ennis, Kyle Wiltjer, Dyshawn Pierre, Melvin Ejim are all better than most of the NBA Tier 4 guys, especially at FIBA.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#3491 » by Tor_Raps » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:05 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
mojo13 wrote:

Guards:

Wings

Bigs

I am with you in hoping Barrett takes a HUGE step next year. But I prefer to advocate for what they are rather than what I hope they may be.

The later two are actually bigs where Barrett is a guard who could get by as a wing.

Brandon Clarke just put in an historically efficient year let alone rookie campaign. Barrett on the other hand was pretty mediocre (if not pretty bad). He is young and hopefully improves but saying he will be better than Clarke, Olynyk, Powell, Brooks, Dort or whoever by next summer is very speculative. At this point no one is sure if Barrett is more Wiggins or Murray/SGA. He's young and by all accounts has the heart and drive but has to fix that shot ASAP. He is not close to my Top 5 right now and may not be Top 10. Hopefully he is firmly Top 10 by next summer, but I'm doubtful he'd be Top 5.

1. Murray, SGA, Wiggins

Bunch of non-NBA guys I'd stick in Tier 4 - Nik Stauskas, Tyler Ennis, Andrew Nicholson, Kevin Pangos, Dylan Ennis, Kyle Wiltjer, Dyshawn Pierre, Melvin Ejim are all better than most of the NBA Tier 4 guys, especially at FIBA.

While i agree with how much Barrett needs to improve, he just looks like a gym rat. Someone who will continue to work to get better. For that reason, id stick him in your tier 2 list.

Lets see how it goes though. For the first time in maybe ever, I can't wait to watch Team Canada on the court. Now whether that will be 2021 or 2024 remains to be seen.
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#3492 » by Mattd97 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:27 pm

am i the only one more confused why a 6-6 swing man (listed as a shooting guard) is playing the 4? and a 6-9 big man (listed as a pf) is the back up 3? would not moving barrett to back up 3 make much more sense? with murray, wiggins, and SGA out there its not as if you need another ball dominant offensive guy out there so much to start playing guys out of position
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
Kenter16
Junior

Post#3493 » by Kenter16 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:52 pm

1. Murray, SGA, Wiggins

This is a pretty accurate tiering. I would put Cojo in tier 2. His advanced numbers in Sacramento are encouraging. They are just simply much better when Cojo is playing.
Long and Brazdeikis will not play for Canada. They have committed to Greece and Lithuania. I would say Brandon Clarke is still firmly in the maybe column. I would guess it's 50/50 as to whether he plays for Canada or not.

It doesn't sound like the NBA schedule and the FIBA schedule are going to line up at all. I saw an article that the December 1st start date for the NBA is now not happening. It is likely they start later in December, maybe even on Christmas Day. This would push the regular season into July (likely), unless they do a compressed schedule or play 50 games. A lot seems like it is up in the air for this.
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,639

Post#3494 » by Kurtz » Tue Sep 1, 2020 3:49 am

mojo13 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
mojo13 wrote:

Guards:

Wings

Bigs

1. Murray, SGA, Wiggins

I think Murray has elevated himself onto his own tier. I would also knock down Wiggins a tier if not 2, and elevate Dort and Cojo.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#3495 » by Tor_Raps » Tue Sep 1, 2020 3:18 pm

Kurtz wrote:
mojo13 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

1. Murray, SGA, Wiggins

I think Murray has elevated himself onto his own tier. I would also knock down Wiggins a tier if not 2, and elevate Dort and Cojo.

You cant knock wiggins because of his contract/expectations. He is still a much better player than Dort and cojo. Come on lol.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,547

Post#3496 » by Psubs » Tue Sep 1, 2020 3:37 pm

Will Karim Mane get a shot at the men's team? It would be cool for the Raptors to draft him and he's coached by Nurse on the team.
Kurtz
RealGM

Post#3497 » by Kurtz » Tue Sep 1, 2020 4:17 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
Kurtz wrote:
mojo13 wrote:

1. Murray, SGA, Wiggins

You cant knock wiggins because of his contract/expectations. He is still a much better player than Dort and cojo. Come on lol.

I would legit take Dort over Wiggins right now, even if they had the same contract. Maybe I'm too much in the moment, but Dort's defense is phenomenal, and he can drive it with power and explosiveness. Having a guy who can defend SFs that well in a league where that's the dominant position right now is very valuable. I think he can improve from the 3 as well.

Wiggins has too many holes. No defense. No playmaking. Bad from the 3. I'm just not a fan of the guy.

Fair enough, in the NBA he's a level above Cojo, but Cojo works well with Team Canada, his playmaking, defense and the ability to create his own shot were stand outs in the last tourney.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#3498 » by Kenter16 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 6:24 pm

Kurtz wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Kurtz wrote:

I would legit take Dort over Wiggins right now, even if they had the same contract. Maybe I'm too much in the moment, but Dort's defense is phenomenal, and he can drive it with power and explosiveness. Having a guy who can defend SFs that well in a league where that's the dominant position right now is very valuable. I think he can improve from the 3 as well.

Wiggins has too many holes. No defense. No playmaking. Bad from the 3. I'm just not a fan of the guy.

Fair enough, in the NBA he's a level above Cojo, but Cojo works well with Team Canada, his playmaking, defense and the ability to create his own shot were stand outs in the last tourney.
Read on Twitter
?s=09

I love Dort. But he isn't good... Yet. When you watch him you can't help but notice him. He is an all out all the time kind of guy. So you notice him every time he's on the court. But to take Dort over Wiggins is a blind take. There is nothing to support that argument besides emotion.
Dort is a guy I would have on my team all day. No doubt.

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
Kurtz
RealGM

Post#3499 » by Kurtz » Tue Sep 1, 2020 6:32 pm

Kenter16 wrote:
Kurtz wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=09

I love Dort. But he isn't good... Yet. When you watch him you can't help but notice him. He is an all out all the time kind of guy. So you notice him every time he's on the court. But to take Dort over Wiggins is a blind take. There is nothing to support that argument besides emotion.
Dort is a guy I would have on my team all day. No doubt.

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app

How is Defensive Points Saved calculated in that chart? Does it take into account that Dort is guarding Harden all game?
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3500 » by mojo13 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 2:00 am

I love Dort too but right now he can’t shoot plain and simple. For as good as he is at D, he is very much a liability on offense. Houston is daring him to shoot. I look at him like Powell - an elite skill set but still very deficient making him a good role player whether a starter or not.

And in regards to Naz Mitrou Long - he has not yet committed to play for Greece (nor Canada for that matter). He is still eligible to play for either but I believe he is holding out until he best figures out where his career takes him. He would be a naturalized player for Greece as well and I’m not sure they want to burn that on him (currently Dorsey is their target).
He has been invited to Team Canada training camps in the past and I think attended a couple but never been rostered or played for Canada in a senior FIBA event. He has been contacted by the Greek federation but has yet to join them in any capacity.

Brazdeikis in the other hand has declared publicly he intends to play for Lithuania but as he is not citizen and has played for Canada after the age 17 thus locking him to Canada, much needs to happen for him to play for Lithuania.

Return to Toronto Raptors