ImageImageImageImage

poll: are you personally pleased with the outcome of this season

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Are you personally pleased with the outcome of this season

Yes: the Magic gave us a second consecutive playoff birth
13%
Maybe: this was one of the worst playoff teams ever, but the Magic did win a game
18%
No: blow it up
69%

Total votes: 61

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Re: poll: are you personally pleased with the outcome of this season 

Post#21 » by Skin » Tue Sep 1, 2020 7:50 am

MagicMatic wrote:I’ve been saying how poorly constructed this roster is for years. Every year there will be posters saying I’m crazy and that “it all takes time”. Here we are, and most of those posters are no longer here.

I could really care less who is on this team anymore. It doesn’t work. It doesn’t make sense. The players are overpaid for the results. There has been zero direction.

Hennigan’s roster is still the core. MOVE ON from them. I don’t care what empty stats they’ve managed to put up (or haven’t) on a lacking roster with few options. None of that matters if there are few assets of value, limited future prospects, and an overpriced roster.

The FO needs to do their **** jobs and build a roster themselves.

#draintheswamp #dumphennysguys

Henny's guys and WeHam's guys are mixture like oil and water. They don't go together. WeHam's guys alone... there might be something.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#22 » by tiderulz » Tue Sep 1, 2020 1:10 pm

this team did about what it could, but it still has too many holes that the front office hasnt filled. wing upgrades, more ball handlers, outside shooting. this team was never going to do more than a 1st round playoff exit to begin with
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#23 » by paperboymafia » Tue Sep 1, 2020 1:23 pm

I chose "blow it up" but i'm inbetween that and just feeling underwhelmed.

Feel like now that isaac is def out for another year its maybe time to overhaul. The current team has gone as far as it can.
Trillen
Rookie
And1: 155

Post#24 » by Trillen » Tue Sep 1, 2020 1:25 pm

I voted maybe, just because overall this year has been weird. That said, I'm ready to bottom dwell again and pray to ping pong gods.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,528

Post#25 » by Furinkazan » Tue Sep 1, 2020 1:57 pm

Im so pleased I bought Doncic jersey
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,088

Post#26 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue Sep 1, 2020 3:03 pm

Voted blow it up but feel like there’s a different meaning for this team. You have to try and get a more modern NBA roster in Orlando. We can’t go into next season and get to our bench and go yeah we’re screwed.

Make some moves to get better NBA depth and a freaking backbone for goodness sakes.

They’ve decided it’s a Vuc lead offense so don’t go out and get an Aminu type player. Go get a spot up shooter like Korver or JJ. Go get a combo guard who doesn’t need the ball and can work it a bit.

Enough of the Iwundu’s Clark’s Enniss’s MCW’s Frazier’s.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#27 » by zaymon » Tue Sep 1, 2020 3:26 pm

I am not pleased with the outcome but i am pleased how we fought despite the injuries.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
dsg2003mach1
Senior
And1: 458

Post#28 » by dsg2003mach1 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 5:25 pm

when your ceiling is first round cannon fodder there is nothing to be proud of.
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,316

Post#29 » by jonbob17 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 5:27 pm

We can blow it up without turning into the Process. The draft odds have gotten worse for tankers but better for the mediocre teams that try. For instance, Charlotte and the Bulls this year coming through with the draft gods.

We can take a couple steps back while the core develops or heals, and them move forward. I mean if the Magic finished 11th next year in the East, that might be the 5th worst record in the league, assuming teams don't mail it in out West. I am not really sure how much better that that we should expect either depending on Was and Atl improvements, if the Magic stand pat. Move the players for value, AG, Fournier, Vuc if you can get a great return, bring in a couple extra rookies maybe.
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,389

Post#30 » by GelbeWand09 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 5:58 pm

SOUL wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

This page is pretty funny.

No picks for Magic incoming or outgoing and being the only team that hasn't tried accrue picks or package picks for a star sums up the Magic to a T. We're probably running it back with the same group with the same outcome all with the excuse of "people watch playoff games". Hooray.

That's one of the things i never understood about the post Dwight rebuild. Compared to other rebuilding teams, we almost never tried to get extra picks.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#31 » by MagicMatic » Tue Sep 1, 2020 6:28 pm

GelbeWand09 wrote:
SOUL wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

This page is pretty funny.

No picks for Magic incoming or outgoing and being the only team that hasn't tried accrue picks or package picks for a star sums up the Magic to a T. We're probably running it back with the same group with the same outcome all with the excuse of "people watch playoff games". Hooray.

That's one of the things i never understood about the post Dwight rebuild. Compared to other rebuilding teams, we almost never tried to get extra picks.

Which is absolutely baffling considering we barely make trades for quality talent and aren’t players in free agency.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,124

Post#32 » by pepe1991 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 8:11 pm

What i find confusing is cry for lottery picks , and in same time pretending it won't require complete tanking to get there.
Didn't Magic do execlly that for years? Half a** tanking never going all in for that ? How did that play out.
Magic in last 7 years had FIVE different top 6 pick players on rookie contracts ( not all in same time ).

Why some of you acting like you are not rooting for 76ers process type of rebuild ? Because you know it failed ?
Why be in "closet" about it?

Why, if tanking is such a miracle work, 6th pick from 2018 isn't superstar ? Why 1st overall pick from 2017 isn't averaging 30 ppg against Bucks this year ? Why 2015 first overall pick can't even win 35 games as leader of his team ?
Why rebuild via draft didn't work for literally nobody else but Warriors over last 2 decades?

So now you will pull Doncic and Mavs, when same posters claimed Trae Young was better (or at least, not much worst) and how Hawks won a trade -last year.

Why Kings spent 14 years in lottery for 0 superstars ?

Heat, Bucks , Lakers, Clippers, Celtics. How many years any of them spent in lottery to draft their best player? Execlly zero.
Heat got their best player as free agent, drafted Adebayo with late lotto pick, Bucks have 2 players they drafted as best players, non of them was lottery pick. Lakers literally traded everybody for Davis. 0 starters were drafted there. Clippers, same story, 2 major FA moves, 0 starters drafted by them.
Celtics used worst GM in history to do all the tanking for them, but they never went to lottery to add Brown nor Tatum.

Jokić and Nuggets- their best player wasn't even first round pick.
Jazz - 13# pick and 27th pick
Rockets- whole team build via trades and FA
OKC- 11th pick (SGA)
Raptors- 27th pick (Siakam) rest via trades or non lottery picks..

That's pretty much reality of landscape of nba. Nobody tanked for best player.

II already replyed to Magic Matic and flawed logic of " not needing to blow it up" .
You actually have to blow whole thing up to put yourself in position to not win games. It absolutely requires adding negative assets and players without any basketball impact, to keep chances of winning games minimal. ( if you don't, you have Orlando Magic, team that drafed 3 players in 4 years - 5,6,6 , and missed on all impacful players) .
But in process of gutting roster for picks, you get rid of all talent and now you have lottery pick and bunch of crap with probably bloated contracts , added through trades for more picks and trading away your positive assets.

And this is execlly where 76ers plan went to s***. They had bunch of picks, bunch of lottery picks and lot of average, yet overpayed players. In 2017-18 they payed for Covington, JJ Redick, Amir Johnson and Trevor Booker- $60 M.
Next year Embiid was no longer rookie scale contract player and his salary become bloated as well. So in order to stop paying bunch of Amir Johnson's $11M a year they had to cash in, made a trade for established star Butler and solid offensive option Harris. However, in moment Butler decided to walk, whole process was dead at sight.

Drafting star is amazing. But you only have window of 3 years to actually pay him as rookie. After that he is just another cap eating monster that makes it that much harder to put respecful team around.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#33 » by PrimeThyme » Tue Sep 1, 2020 9:03 pm

The difference between all those teams you listed, isn't just the fact that they didn't tank, its the fact that they didn't have to tank because they have extremely competent ownership/management who drafts exceptionally well. That's not us. Let's not act like if Philly had just simply not cashed in picks to get Fultz and taken Tatum instead that they wouldn't be a perennial contender in the East right now even with being poorly managed. They already have been even without Tatum (Simmons got hurt this year). They were a game away from the EC finals last season where they would have played and matched up well against the Bucks had they gotten there.

I want to be clear that I am not advocating for a full rebuild with this front office. I would want to see a full-scale rebuild and a new front office brought in as I think WeHam has already proven to be the definition of mediocre and incompetent. That means that Martins would be gone too as I do not want him being the final decision-maker.

I'd even be open to a full restructure, that kept us competitive while changing the pieces on this roster, but it would have to be under the condition that we brought in a new competent front office and replaced Martins as well. However, since that is far from realistic, the only option I see is a full-on tank so that we can hope to fall into a generational talent.

That's all fans of poorly managed/owned teams have to hope for.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 572

Post#34 » by MasterGMer » Tue Sep 1, 2020 9:05 pm

I think there ought to be more options to vote for. Make aggressive changes to status quo and develop our young players should be an option
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,906

Post#35 » by Knightro » Tue Sep 1, 2020 9:08 pm

From an expectations standpoint, the Magic pretty much maxed out what this roster is capable of achieving as presently constructed for the second year in a row.

Had they played out the whole season, they'd have feasted on the multiple bad teams they had left on the schedule and finished somewhere around 40 to 42 wins and been the 7 seed again.

But who cares? They can't win a playoff series as presently constructed, but they don't have a clear path towards getting better either because they're capped out and are picking outside the lotto.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 572

Post#36 » by MasterGMer » Tue Sep 1, 2020 10:59 pm

Knightro wrote:From an expectations standpoint, the Magic pretty much maxed out what this roster is capable of achieving as presently constructed for the second year in a row.

Had they played out the whole season, they'd have feasted on the multiple bad teams they had left on the schedule and finished somewhere around with around 40 to 42 wins and been the 7 seed again.

But who cares? They can't win a playoff series as presently constructed, but they don't have a clear path towards getting better either because they're capped out and are picking outside the lotto.

I am optimistic to this Magic team. This upcoming offseason and next will determine whether Magic could win a Championship.

We need to draft better and we need to take care of the veterans on this roster. If Evan opting in, we need to trade him. We also need to trade one of our PF on the team. We have 5 PFs on the team now, including Clark and 4 of them didn't play this postseason.

We also need to continue to develop our young stars. This was Fultz's Rookie season, pretty much. And we still need Bamba to have a complete offseason strength and conditioning workouts. JI needs to continue his recovery and future is still bright to him.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#37 » by Xatticus » Wed Sep 2, 2020 4:17 am

pepe1991 wrote:What i find confusing is cry for lottery picks , and in same time pretending it won't require complete tanking to get there.
Didn't Magic do execlly that for years? Half a** tanking never going all in for that ? How did that play out.
Magic in last 7 years had FIVE different top 6 pick players on rookie contracts ( not all in same time ).

Why some of you acting like you are not rooting for 76ers process type of rebuild ? Because you know it failed ?

Why, if tanking is such a miracle work, 6th pick from 2018 isn't superstar ? Why 1st overall pick from 2017 isn't averaging 30 ppg against Bucks this year ? Why 2015 first overall pick can't even win 35 games as leader of his team ?
Why rebuild via draft didn't work for literally nobody else but Warriors over last 2 decades?

So now you will pull Doncic and Mavs, when same posters claimed Trae Young was better (or at least, not much worst) and how Hawks won a trade -last year.

Heat, Bucks , Lakers, Clippers, Celtics. How many years any of them spent in lottery to draft their best player? Execlly zero.
Heat got their best player as free agent, drafted Adebayo with late lotto pick, Bucks have 2 players they drafted as best players, non of them was lottery pick. Lakers literally traded everybody for Davis. 0 starters were drafted there. Clippers, same story, 2 major FA moves, 0 starters drafted by them.
Celtics used worst GM in history to do all the tanking for them, but they never went to lottery to add Brown nor Tatum.

OKC- 11th pick (SGA)

II already replyed to Magic Matic and flawed logic of " not needing to blow it up" .
You actually have to blow whole thing up to put yourself in position to not win games. It absolutely requires adding negative assets and players without any basketball impact, to keep chances of winning games minimal. ( if you don't, you have Orlando Magic, team that drafed 3 players in 4 years - 5,6,6 , and missed on all impacful players) .
But in process of gutting roster for picks, you get rid of all talent and now you have lottery pick and bunch of crap with probably bloated contracts , added through trades for more picks and trading away your positive assets.

And this is execlly where 76ers plan went to s***. They had bunch of picks, bunch of lottery picks and lot of average, yet overpayed players. In 2017-18 they payed for Covington, JJ Redick, Amir Johnson and Trevor Booker- $60 M.
Next year Embiid was no longer rookie scale contract player and his salary become bloated as well. So in order to stop paying bunch of Amir Johnson's $11M a year they had to cash in, made a trade for established star Butler and solid offensive option Harris. However, in moment Butler decided to walk, whole process was dead at sight.

Drafting star is amazing. But you only have window of 3 years to actually pay him as rookie. After that he is just another cap eating monster that makes it that much harder to put respecful team around.

There are 14 lottery picks. We are picking 15th. There is a really good chance that we will be picking in the lottery next year regardless of this front office's wants. We aren't talking about breaking up the 98 Bulls. This team is not good. It really wouldn't take much to significantly improve the EV of our draft picks.

The Process ended the day that Hinkie stepped down. Colangelo took over and immediately started trading in the assets that Hinkie accumulated. It's just weird to me that you characterize it as a failure. If that's a failure... then how in the **** would you characterize the Orlando Magic right now? Philly won 50+ games the past couple years and reached the second round of the playoffs. We have 7 50+ win seasons in our franchise's history and we have reached the second round of the playoffs only 5 times. Oh... and the process began a year after our rebuild started. If Philadelphia decides to go in a different direction, at least they have the assets to get something of value in return.

Speaking of assets... that's basically what this is all about. Anthony Davis was picked first. That didn't lead to a great deal of success in New Orleans, but where would they be without all of the assets they got in return for Davis? How would the Lakers have acquired Davis without the lottery assets they acquired? If you don't have assets, then you need to acquire them. You aren't guaranteed to get something of value out of your draft picks, but it's still the best place to go if you want to stockpile talent. There is some uncertainty involved, but to argue against the value of high draft picks is asinine. And if your front office can't figure out how to get some value out of lottery picks, why would you think non-lottery or second-round success stories would serve as proper examples of how to build a roster?

If you aren't where you want to be, then where you are isn't what matters. Where you are going is what matters. We are perfecting the art of sabotaging the value of our own prospects while filling out the rotation with non-assets in an attempt to polish the same turds year after year. We are not in a good place and we are going nowhere. Unfortunately, this seems to be where our ownership and front office wants to be. I just don't know how anyone can advocate against trying anything other than what we are doing now. I don't know precisely what the best course of action is, but I know that sitting around with your thumb up your ass isn't going to fix anything.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,124

Post#38 » by pepe1991 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 7:06 am

Xatticus wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:What i find confusing is cry for lottery picks , and in same time pretending it won't require complete tanking to get there.

OKC- 11th pick (SGA)

There are 14 lottery picks. We are picking 15th. There is a really good chance that we will be picking in the lottery next year regardless of this front office's wants. We aren't talking about breaking up the 98 Bulls. This team is not good. It really wouldn't take much to significantly improve the EV of our draft picks.

The Process ended the day that Hinkie stepped down. Colangelo took over and immediately started trading in the assets that Hinkie accumulated. It's just weird to me that you characterize it as a failure. If that's a failure... then how in the **** would you characterize the Orlando Magic right now? Philly won 50+ games the past couple years and reached the second round of the playoffs. We have 7 50+ win seasons in our franchise's history and we have reached the second round of the playoffs only 5 times. Oh... and the process began a year after our rebuild started. If Philadelphia decides to go in a different direction, at least they have the assets to get something of value in return.

Speaking of assets... that's basically what this is all about. Anthony Davis was picked first. That didn't lead to a great deal of success in New Orleans, but where would they be without all of the assets they got in return for Davis? How would the Lakers have acquired Davis without the lottery assets they acquired? If you don't have assets, then you need to acquire them. You aren't guaranteed to get something of value out of your draft picks, but it's still the best place to go if you want to stockpile talent. There is some uncertainty involved, but to argue against the value of high draft picks is asinine. And if your front office can't figure out how to get some value out of lottery picks, why would you think non-lottery or second-round success stories would serve as proper examples of how to build a roster?

If you aren't where you want to be, then where you are isn't what matters. Where you are going is what matters. We are perfecting the art of sabotaging the value of our own prospects while filling out the rotation with non-assets in an attempt to polish the same turds year after year. We are not in a good place and we are going nowhere. Unfortunately, this seems to be where our ownership and front office wants to be. I just don't know how anyone can advocate against trying anything other than what we are doing now. I don't know precisely what the best course of action is, but I know that sitting around with your thumb up your ass isn't going to fix anything.

This is still complete cherrypicking.
What happend to a team that lost most games for Anthony Davis same year ? Charlotte Bobcats and their worst win percentage in history? 7-59 record that year led them to... Michael Kid Gilchrist.

Where you are going is what matters. We are perfecting the art of sabotaging the value of our own prospects while filling out the rotation with non-assets in an attempt to polish the same turds year after year.

Every year you use same phrase. Who are turds you are always mentioning? Nikola Vučević? Can we have more of this 30 points a game in playoff series against best defense in nba turds?
Who are allegedly sabotaged prospects ? MO Bamba who can't get off bench for more than 15 min because he is too lazy to put body in playing shape?
Fultz ? NBA guard without jumpshot? Inserted in starting role after 20 games for no good reason.
Isaac who was inserted as starter basically from day one?
Okeke ? 0 nba games played.

Or you are refering to past, where Payton was starter from day one, Oladipo - starter from day one, Harris- starter from day one. OR Hezonja and how much he developed after Magic? :crazy:

Maybe just maybe it's obvious from start that some players don't have high potential, so sabotaging team to "develop" them is complete waste of time. Hence, we already tried that, when we gutted roster to "develop" Oladipo, Payton and Gordon. That turned great :lol:

I just don't know how anyone can advocate against trying anything other than what we are doing now.

Because we tried tanking road from 2012 to 2018. That's why we drafted 2,4,5,6,6 in six years. Non of them turned into anything.

If tanking and collecting assets is best path, by now Kings would be king of nba. They just missed playoffs for 14th time in a row. 14 lottery picks. Cousins was last respecful allstar theey had.
Not only them ,Suns ( 10) and Knicks (7) are still ongoing playoff droughts. Suns have bunch of guys and Booker, Knicks don't even have that.

My main issue with this FO is complete lack of desire to take chances in trades and having zero desire to adjust team to modern requirements. Where everybody goes for spacing, ballhandling and shooting ,they draft bigs who can't handle nor shoot.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#39 » by drsd » Wed Sep 2, 2020 8:14 am

Well: the poll's results are conclusive. Two times more fans here are unhappy with the season than other answers.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#40 » by KillMonger » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:04 am

Happy? no.....resigned? defeated? deflated? disappointed? hell yes....This season should be clear to everyone, ownership included that this team as currently constructed is capped right where we are and changes are needed......problem is though you need something to sell to the season ticket holders and you can't sell a rebuild....hopefully the FO does what it needs to do to move forward OFF the treadmill

Return to Orlando Magic