ImageImage

Prospect Thread: Killian Hayes

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Re: Prospect Thread: Killian Hayes 

Post#21 » by KingCat » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:05 am

Hmm I take back my NAW comparison I made early. After watching more from him I see a guy that could have a Goran Dragic type game in the league. I should mention I love Dragic so I personally think Hayes would be a damn fine pick at number 3.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 962

Post#22 » by wilson115 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:20 am

UNCNYC wrote:On a site years ago I actually said that turnovers can be a good thing and people thought I was nuts lol. What I meant by that is just because a player turns the ball over a little more than they should could mean the player is trying to create an offense rather than be passive and play to avoid a turnover which can be good as well but it's all about the eye test. I am not a stat guy at all. The only stat imo that ever really tells the truth is rebounding. I think Hayes will start out slower than most other rooks and improve over a couple years

Interesting way to look at it. Kinda tracks with my impression of him as well, he just looks like someone who loves what he's doing, to the point he needs to tone down his enthusiasm. And I agree he's far from a finished product, he says he actually wanted to go through the whole prep-school-to-NCAA thing but his dad talked him into turning pro in France as a 16-year-old, so there's reason to hope there's room for growth once he comes over. Physically, though most sites now put him at well over 200 lbs., he clearly isn't done filling out, I just look at how much Monk improved this year after bulking up and feel the trainers could do the same for Killian.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2847971-killian-hayes-is-coming-to-claim-his-basketball-birthright

Rob Dauster said Hayes might have trouble co-existing with another ballhandler since he isn't a proven catch-and-shoot guy, which seems to be a theme here seeing we've got Devonte'. It's actually Hayes's C&S percentages (just >20%) that drag down his 3FG% overall, he's close to 40% shooting off the bounce. He's not one to let it fly like JJ Reddick but if he can get the ball and create with the clock ticking down I'd say he's just as valuable. Someone like Jeremy Lin who had a career year playing next to Kemba. Besides, looking at what Dallas's bench is doing to the Clippers it seems the trend is toward multiple scoring ballhandlers.
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#23 » by wilson115 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:22 am

KingCat wrote:Hmm I take back my NAW comparison I made early. After watching more from him I see a guy that could have a Goran Dragic type game in the league. I should mention I love Dragic so I personally think Hayes would be a damn fine pick at number 3.

Heady praise seeing Dragic is imo one of the best playing ... as much as I despise him for what he's done to us more times than I'd want to remember.
a-French-Fan
Senior
And1: 304

Post#24 » by a-French-Fan » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:26 am

I don't think picking a PG at #3 is the best idea when Devonte Graham shows that he can handle the team in the future... Graham and Hayes? Hayes as a SG? Why not, but he is a PG IMO
Frank Ntilikina is a play-off player, but he goes to the Hornets.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Ntilikina - Malédon - Hayes
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
Embiid- Poirier - Lessort [without Embiid: Fall]
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,214

Post#25 » by amcoolio » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:14 pm

a-French-Fan wrote:I don't think picking a PG at #3 is the best idea when Devonte Graham shows that he can handle the team in the future... Graham and Hayes? Hayes as a SG? Why not, but he is a PG IMO

Graham would be fine as an off-ball 2 that plays PG when Hayes is off the floor

Also there's no guarantee Graham stays as if he plays like this another year he will require the max and a team that strikes out on top FA in 2021 might entice him with a **** of money
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,144

Post#26 » by Braggins » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:24 pm

amcoolio wrote:
a-French-Fan wrote:I don't think picking a PG at #3 is the best idea when Devonte Graham shows that he can handle the team in the future... Graham and Hayes? Hayes as a SG? Why not, but he is a PG IMO

Graham would be fine as an off-ball 2 that plays PG when Hayes is off the floor

Also there's no guarantee Graham stays as if he plays like this another year he will require the max and a team that strikes out on top FA in 2021 might entice him with a **** of money

A playmaking PG with the size to guard SG's is actually a perfect fit for this roster. Graham has the shooting stroke and IQ to do well off ball and having another lead ball handler to take the heat off of him would potentially do wonders for his overall efficiency.

Monk could also be mitigated on defense and unlocked on offense if paired with a player like Hayes/Haliburton.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#27 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:15 pm

The team could more easily move Terry if they had someone like Hayes on the roster as well.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#28 » by BigSlam » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:49 am

What’s Hayes like defensively?

He has a great physical make up, but is he a good/willing one on one and team defender?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by wilson115 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:03 pm

BigSlam wrote:What’s Hayes like defensively?

He has a great physical make up, but is he a good/willing one on one and team defender?

Pearlman likes his help defense.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#30 » by 316Hornets » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:53 pm

Just watching this guys highlights and find him kind of boring. I guess that can be a good thing because he's rather methodical.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#31 » by KGdaBom » Wed Sep 2, 2020 3:29 am

yosemiteben wrote:Really not interested in Ball so this is my guy.

Definitely the best PG in the draft.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#32 » by KGdaBom » Wed Sep 2, 2020 3:31 am

LofJ wrote:Players whose names start with K or L tend to do really well in the league for some reason.

Kobe Bryant
Larry Bird
Lebron James
Luka Doncic
Kemba Walker
Kyrie Irving
Kevin Durant
Kevin Love
Klay Thompson
Kawhi Leonard
Kris Middleton
Kyle Lowry
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar / Lou Alcindor

Going by this the pick should be Killian Hayes or Lamello Ball (although his brother Lonzo might have killed his L luck).

How could you forget to mention Kevin Garnett?
I also love Kevin Johnson.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#33 » by KGdaBom » Wed Sep 2, 2020 3:45 am

bravor wrote:Considering the 'luck' this franchise has with frenchies, i'd rather see him get picked elsewhere. Especially because i like him a lot (much more than Maledon since they are with Cazalon the leaders of this generation).
Detroit would be my favorite for him since he knows Doumbouya pretty well and Sekou is a coach nightmare (behavior wise). Hopefully he could help fix his motivation and commitment while providing the Pistons a good boost on both ends.

Vassell might be a better fit if Edwards it not available and if Kupchak wants a sg that can fit with Graham. Even though i hope the plan is to get one of the bigs (Wiseman or Okongwu) in this case.

Hayes does seem a good fit for the Pistons, but he's a tall combo guard who would pair well with Graham IMO.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,214

Post#34 » by amcoolio » Wed Sep 2, 2020 3:56 am

If he could use his right hand he'd be the #1 overall pick. But its tough taking a guy with such a clear weakness that teams can gameplan for. Still like him though. Maybe he impresses in workouts.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#35 » by KGdaBom » Wed Sep 2, 2020 4:01 am

amcoolio wrote:If he could use his right hand he'd be the #1 overall pick. But its tough taking a guy with such a clear weakness that teams can gameplan for. Still like him though. Maybe he impresses in workouts.

Good point. I had forgotten about the one handedness. While reading this thread a guy named K Hayes came up to bat for the Pirates. He got out this time, but had homered to tie the game the inning before. Is that a good or bad omen?
Now he's the guy placed on second to start the 10th inning. Pirates behind 7-6 to the Cubs. I'm entertaining myself with this K Hayes thing. :lol: :lol:
K Hayes just scored the tying run.
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by wilson115 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 5:54 am

Hayes's trainer, ex-Piston Will Bynum:

It was Dumars who introduced Bynum to Hayes. ISE hired Hayes’ agent, Yann Balikouzou, in July 2019 as their director of international operations. Hayes is now represented by ISE, and Bynum began training him last summer. Hayes continued to work out with Bynum until March, when the COVID-19 pandemic interrupted their training schedule. Bynum is hopeful that they’ll find a way to get back on the court before the draft.

“His mindset is different because he wants to be the best at it, and this is the only thing he sees,” he continued. “Some kids, they have a little bit more that they see because of the environments that they grew up in. So it’s a different dynamic with those types of kids. With a kid like that, I can see the development and the process of getting better a little more easier because of his foundation.”

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2020/08/09/detroit-piston-bynum-killian-hayes-nba-draft/3327098001/
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,243

Post#37 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed Sep 2, 2020 9:22 am

KGdaBom wrote:
LofJ wrote:Players whose names start with K or L tend to do really well in the league for some reason.

Kobe Bryant
Larry Bird
Lebron James
Luka Doncic
Kemba Walker
Kyrie Irving
Kevin Durant
Kevin Love
Klay Thompson
Kawhi Leonard
Kris Middleton
Kyle Lowry

Going by this the pick should be Killian Hayes or Lamello Ball (although his brother Lonzo might have killed his L luck).

No mention of Larry Johnson?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#38 » by KGdaBom » Wed Sep 2, 2020 10:39 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Kobe Bryant
Larry Bird
Lebron James
Luka Doncic
Kemba Walker
Kyrie Irving
Kevin Durant
Kevin Love
Klay Thompson
Kawhi Leonard
Kris Middleton
Kyle Lowry

Grandmama being left out doesn't bother me. :D
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,243

Post#39 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:04 am

KGdaBom wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:How could you forget to mention Kevin Garnett?

Imminent ban :P
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#40 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:10 am

KGdaBom wrote:

Imminent ban :P

Did he play for the Hornets or Bobcats or whatever they were called then? I watched him way more at UNLV. :lol:

Return to Charlotte Hornets