ImageImageImage

Elton Brand's Resume

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Elton Brand's Resume 

Post#1 » by SouthJersey » Wed Sep 2, 2020 12:43 pm

Lets face it, Brand never paid his dues to become a GM and it is showing. People in that position get Masters degrees and then spend the next 20 years learning from mentors and seeing how front offices work. Brand retired and 2 years later was a GM, and you wonder why it didn't work out? I could understand if he wanted to try his hand at coaching because he was a player, but I don't get why anyone, especially people who run a billion dollar company, would think he was ready for this role. Although he comes across as well spoken, he also seems clueless on what the team's identity is and what the next move is. Two years with a D League team is not really experience that jumps off the resume. I think it obviously speaks to how bad the ownership is of this team and Brand is probably being set up to be the fall guy next year, but with the crisis this team is in, I hope they just cut ties now.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Re: Elton Brand's Resume 

Post#2 » by Monix » Wed Sep 2, 2020 12:50 pm

former players who spend significant time in the league usually don't follow the path that you describe
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#3 » by SouthJersey » Wed Sep 2, 2020 1:14 pm

Monix wrote:former players who spend significant time in the league usually don't follow the path that you describe

Right, but Brand's path is specifically unconventional. I'm having a hard time coming up with someone who was given this much power with so little experience. I'm not counting coaching, because players can transition to that role because they know what it's like to be in different situations in a game.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#4 » by youngcrev » Wed Sep 2, 2020 1:31 pm

Brand got the job because it wasn't really "the job" at the time. They wanted to keep Colangelo's staff in place and needed a figure head. Now it seems like he is being given "the job" and frankly, yes, he's unqualified.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#5 » by BullyKing » Wed Sep 2, 2020 1:46 pm

youngcrev wrote:Brand got the job because it wasn't really "the job" at the time. They wanted to keep Colangelo's staff in place and needed a figure head. Now it seems like he is being given "the job" and frankly, yes, he's unqualified.

I think more and more we're learning that it wasn't because they wanted to keep the Colangelo henchmen in place as much as it was that Harris thinks he's Jerry Jones and wants to have a role in basketball decisions. A real GM is never going to go for that so you hire someone like Brand who doesn't have the option of saying no. They keep talking about collaboration and we assume its collaboration with Brett and Ned Cohen types but I think a large part of it is collaboration with Harris and Blitzer also.

That said, I lost all confidence in Brand when he justified selling the second round picks in his first draft by saying he needed to "save every cent" for free agency. Given that second round picks have no cap hold, either he's stupid or he thinks we are.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Dave Meltzer
Ballboy
And1: 24

Post#6 » by Dave Meltzer » Wed Sep 2, 2020 1:58 pm

BullyKing wrote:
youngcrev wrote:Brand got the job because it wasn't really "the job" at the time. They wanted to keep Colangelo's staff in place and needed a figure head. Now it seems like he is being given "the job" and frankly, yes, he's unqualified.

I think more and more we're learning that it wasn't because they wanted to keep the Colangelo henchmen in place as much as it was that Harris thinks he's Jerry Jones and wants to have a role in basketball decisions. A real GM is never going to go for that so you hire someone like Brand who doesn't have the option of saying no. They keep talking about collaboration and we assume its collaboration with Brett and Ned Cohen types but I think a large part of it is collaboration with Harris and Blitzer also.

Espn did report when the Butler trade was made that the trade was negotiated by the owners. So you could be on to something.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25233742/minnesota-timberwolves-trading-jimmy-butler-philadelphia-76ers

I remember when I read I was surprised people weren't making a bigger deal of that tidbit since it's such a bad sign.
When
mhunt
Rookie
And1: 172

Post#7 » by mhunt » Wed Sep 2, 2020 6:20 pm

Where are the wholesale front office changes we were promised?
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#8 » by Arsenal » Wed Sep 2, 2020 6:56 pm

BullyKing wrote:

That said, I lost all confidence in Brand when he justified selling the second round picks in his first draft by saying he needed to "save every cent" for free agency. Given that second round picks have no cap hold, either he's stupid or he thinks we are.

Yeah this. Harris and Blitzer are playing fantasy basketball with this team. Brand is just the front man and future fall guy. The rest of the clown show (Cohen, Rucker, etc.) are also future fall guys.

Don't expect them to clean house this offseason. Serves Josh Harris' selfish needs better to keep around multiple fall guys to be axed as needed in the future to cover up his meddling, incompetence, and ineptitude.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#9 » by 76ciology » Wed Sep 2, 2020 7:01 pm

Arsenal wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

Yeah this. Harris and Blitzer are playing fantasy basketball with this team. Brand is just the front man and future fall guy. The rest of the clown show (Cohen, Rucker, etc.) are also future fall guys.

Don't expect them to clean house this offseason. Serves Josh Harris' selfish needs better to keep around multiple fall guys to be axed as needed in the future to cover up his meddling, incompetence, and ineptitude.

I honestly just want your opinion on this and im not trying to argue.

When Hinkie was in charge, did Harris and Blitzer also played fantasy basketball with this team and let Hinkie be the “fall guy”? Or does this set-up only happened during EB’s tenure?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,621

Post#10 » by Mik317 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 7:44 pm

Brand being green isn't the issue. Its the fact that they decided that Byran's goons were good enough to be a pre-requisite for any new hire that they stayed. That coming after the fact that they basically lied and said they interviewed 70 people before landing on Bryan in the first place. At least with Hinkie there was multiple people up for the job...the choice was made prior to both of the previous GMs. It was Byran's job as soon as his dad came on board. And no one of value was going to take this job with the order to keep Bryan's leftovers on staff...so instead of hiring one of said leftovers, they attempted to look like they went outside of the box via hiring Brand..when in reality until further notice, he seems to simply be a figurehead who unlike the previous two can string sentences together and take the heat unlike the uncaring robot Sam or the Snakeoil Salemens Bryan. Its not that they are too involved but rather there are too many cooks in the kitchen and thus the end result is a meal that does not work as a whole.

Again I wasn't even a Hinkie Fanboy. I shat on his moves a lot including the ones that "worked" but the fact that everyone of said moves were apart of his plan, as crazy as it may have been is better than either a dude desperately trying to prove he got the job on his own merit (the whole burnergate thing shows that Bryan simply wanted credit as sans JJ everything was still tied to Hinkie) or a bunch of dudes angling for a job with a dude learning on the fly. Its not about Sam anymore. I just want a FO with a plan beyond just get a bunch of names and they'll figure it out. This does not mean Hinkie was perfect or the greatest but just that the last two (or current really) regime/s is a formless mass of poop thrown against a wall. If that ends up being Brand unleashed then great but they need one voice with a direct plan of action for the first time in 4 years.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#11 » by Arsenal » Wed Sep 2, 2020 8:51 pm

76ciology wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

When Hinkie was in charge, did Harris and Blitzer also played fantasy basketball with this team and let Hinkie be the “fall guy”? Or does this set-up only happened during EB’s tenure?

When Sam Hinkie was here, he was in charge and made all the basketball decisions. Harris and Blitzer had to stay in their lane as owners so no, they were not playing fantasy basketball. But at the end, Hinkie was made into a fall guy because Harris and Blitzer were too pathetic and weak to stand up to the pressure from the league.

Now with Elton Brand as the "GM", Harris and Blitzer are playing fantasy basketball behind the curtain and making the basketball decisions. In the future, Brand will be of use as a fall guy, as will Cohen, Rucker, and the rest of the clown show they have assembled. In their case, they will be fall guys for Harris and Blitzer's ineptitude in making basketball decisions.

Is that easy enough for you to understand?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#12 » by 76ciology » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:21 am

Arsenal wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

When Sam Hinkie was here, he was in charge and made all the basketball decisions. Harris and Blitzer had to stay in their lane as owners so no, they were not playing fantasy basketball. But at the end, Hinkie was made into a fall guy because Harris and Blitzer were too pathetic and weak to stand up to the pressure from the league.

Now with Elton Brand as the "GM", Harris and Blitzer are playing fantasy basketball behind the curtain and making the basketball decisions. In the future, Brand will be of use as a fall guy, as will Cohen, Rucker, and the rest of the clown show they have assembled. In their case, they will be fall guys for Harris and Blitzer's ineptitude in making basketball decisions.

What makes you say when Hinkie was the GM, the owners’ stay in their lane?

Then when EB was the GM, the owners’ was in charge?

Is this a gut feel or do you have evidence about this?

If I’m the owner, I have more respect with EB since he has more credentials and was in the league longer than Hinkie. EB is also more powerful (his connections with the agents and player community) and has better financial position, probably the richest GM in league’s history.

I honestly think it was the other way around.

If you make Hinkie the “fall guy” there won’t be any consequence. If you make “EB” the “fall guy”, it’s going to bite you in the ass.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#13 » by Sixerscan » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:24 am

76ciology wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
76ciology wrote:

If I’m the owner, I have more respect with EB since he has more credentials and was in the league longer than Hinkie. EB is also more powerful and has better financial position, probably the richest GM in league’s history.

Hinkie was the President of basketball operations.

Bryan Colangelo was the President of basketball operations.

Elton Brand is the GM.

Should be clear to everyone.

EB is definitely rich though.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#14 » by 76ciology » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:43 am

Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

If I’m the owner, I have more respect with EB since he has more credentials and was in the league longer than Hinkie. EB is also more powerful and has better financial position, probably the richest GM in league’s history.

Elton Brand is the GM.

Ok.

Maybe EB should be given a chance to run this team then.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#15 » by Monix » Thu Sep 3, 2020 1:26 pm

Joe Dumars went straight to President of Basketball Ops a year after he retired
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#16 » by Sixerscan » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:12 pm

Monix wrote:Joe Dumars went straight to President of Basketball Ops a year after he retired

Kerr was a TV announcer for a few years before taking over the Suns.

Seems like Billups could have had a few GM jobs by now if he wanted them.

Doesn't mean it was the right move but it's hardly unheard of.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#17 » by Sixerscan » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:13 pm

76ciology wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Elton Brand is the GM.

Ok.

I agree, or someone should. No more cloak and dagger about who is responsible for moves.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,410

Post#18 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Sep 3, 2020 9:23 pm

Well, he's either go to continue learning on the job or just be flat out fired at the end of next season. So far, the Horford signing especially looks bad. I think that alone is enough to terminate his job status alone. The Tobias signing is...well...still an undecided jury, but it's not looking good either.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#19 » by sixers hoops » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:27 am

76ciology wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Elton Brand is the GM.

Ok.

If he was dumb enough to take the fall for Horford and Tobias contracts, then he is not the person I want for the job anyway.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#20 » by 76ciology » Fri Sep 4, 2020 5:15 am

sixers hoops wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Hinkie was the President of basketball operations.

Elton Brand is the GM.

Ok.

If he was dumb enough to take the fall for Horford and Tobias contracts, then he is not the person I want for the job anyway.

He didnt take any credit when he traded role players for Butler and role players and picks that would be drafted for players we’ll never care about for Tobias Harris. Then found a steal with Thybulle. That also for me is dumb because people may think it is not himself who was responsible for those moves since he is just a GM and not the president of basketball operations.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers