Knicks Interested In Fred VanVleet

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Knicks Interested In Fred VanVleet 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Sep 2, 2020 9:55 pm

The New York Knicks are interested in signing Fred VanVleet, a source tells Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News.

VanVleet will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason and could command $25 million to $30 million per season.

VanVleet re-signed with the Raptors in 2018 on a two-year, $18 million deal.

Via Stefan Bondy/New York Daily News

raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,284

Re: Knicks Interested In Fred VanVleet 

Post#2 » by raptorstime » Thu Sep 3, 2020 1:23 am

I wish him the best.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,781

Post#3 » by Dennis 37 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 1:44 am

Yeah, Fred wants to go from a first class organization, who gave him a chance after going undrafted, to the worst ownership in the league. An ownership that guarantees any success will be short lived.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,205

Post#4 » by King4Day » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:26 am

Dennis 37 wrote:Yeah, Fred wants to go from a first class organization, who gave him a chance after going undrafted, to the worst ownership in the league. An ownership that guarantees any success will be short lived.

If they offer him 25-30 mil, could you blame him? He's got a ring. Time to get paid.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,781

Post#5 » by Dennis 37 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:27 am

King4Day wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:Yeah, Fred wants to go from a first class organization, who gave him a chance after going undrafted, to the worst ownership in the league. An ownership that guarantees any success will be short lived.

If they offer him 25-30 mil, could you blame him? He's got a ring. Time to get paid.

Is that his only offer? If so he might take it. Would he go to any other team for 5 million less, I would think so.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,205

Post#6 » by King4Day » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:00 am

Dennis 37 wrote:
King4Day wrote:

Is that his only offer? If so he might take it. Would he go to any other team for 5 million less, I would think so.

Probably depends who but if he goes to NY, it's his team. Outside of maybe Charlotte, he probably can't say that anywhere else.
Toronto is the best option for him but I wouldn't be surprised if he left in that scenario
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#7 » by ontnut » Thu Sep 3, 2020 7:24 am

If that were to happen, it would be an interesting S&T scenario.
I have no doubt FVV will explore his options.
NYK have a bunch of miscellaneous parts they want to move, and may be willing to part with a pick in order to pair FVV and their two core pieces with a FA this offseason.
PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,142
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#8 » by PRESTIGE » Thu Sep 3, 2020 9:52 am

For $30 million a year he’d definitely go. Who wouldn’t?
bockingknickers
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#9 » by bockingknickers » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:33 pm

Anything more than big money 1 year with a 2 year team option is a mistake for NY. When did 17pt 6 ast and 4 rebounds a game become 25-30 mm? Inconsistent as a scorer as well.

Stay the course, draft a pg keep baking the cake from scratch in NY.

Don’t trade any picks for the guy but maybe like taj Gibson or bobby portis, randle
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#10 » by Jedzz » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:57 pm

ontnut wrote:If that were to happen, it would be an interesting S&T scenario.
I have no doubt FVV will explore his options.
NYK have a bunch of miscellaneous parts they want to move, and may be willing to part with a pick in order to pair FVV and their two core pieces with a FA this offseason.

I might be mistaken but isn't he going to be "unrestricted" FA? Knicks just have to be willing to outbid Toronto and anyone else by enough to make it worth it. I'm not sure why FVV would sign a new deal with Toronto if he planned on going for top market dollar, only to be flipped. Unless the covid atmoshere has players taking things short term for now.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#11 » by bluerap23 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:06 pm

PRESTIGE wrote:

For $30 million a year he’d definitely go. Who wouldn’t?

Giving Fred 30/year would be the ultimate Knicks move.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#12 » by Bentley1225 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:06 pm

His market value is around 3 years/$70 million - 4 years/$90 million.

A S&T is a possibility with DSJ going to T.O. and Knox going to a third team for 2nd round picks back to T.O.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,820

Post#13 » by spree2kawhi » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:17 pm

This has treadmill written all over it and Knicks fans - with their long history of treadmill FA signings - probably fear exactly that, but this is FVV. He's not cut from that mold. I like it, he's got what it takes to play tough, intelligent ball.
arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,627

Post#14 » by arbsn » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:00 pm

as a FVV fan gotta be happy he's gonna get his bag

That being said, there's a bunch of guards who are similar in production who make way less $... Marcus Smart, Dragic, Schroeder, Dinwiddie, Lou Will, Norm Powell, Fournier, etc etc

Anything over 20m is a huge overpay.. will be fun as an outsider to watch the Knicks fans turn on him after he doesnt average 20ppg and they are fighting for last place in the league again

Return to Wiretap Discussion