ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#3501 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 12:47 pm

mojo13 wrote:I love Dort too but right now he can’t shoot plain and simple. For as good as he is at D, he is very much a liability on offense. Houston is daring him to shoot. I look at him like Powell - an elite skill set but still very deficient making him a good role player whether a starter or not.

And in regards to Naz Mitrou Long - he has not yet committed to play for Greece (nor Canada for that matter). He is still eligible to play for either but I believe he is holding out until he best figures out where his career takes him. He would be a naturalized player for Greece as well and I’m not sure they want to burn that on him (currently Dorsey is their target).
He has been invited to Team Canada training camps in the past and I think attended a couple but never been rostered or played for Canada in a senior FIBA event. He has been contacted by the Greek federation but has yet to join them in any capacity.

Brazdeikis in the other hand has declared publicly he intends to play for Lithuania but as he is not citizen and has played for Canada after the age 17 thus locking him to Canada, much needs to happen for him to play for Lithuania.

Actually, the Greek Federation President and also the vice president, both recently stated that Mitrou-Long did indeed commit to Greece and has already joined the national program.

Whether or not he plays at the qualifiers is a different matter. But he has in fact joined the Greek national program.

Greek NT coach Rick Pitino seems to like Dorsey. But that doesn't mean places can't open up in the future. Because Dorsey has been awful so far every time he played with Greece. And he was nothing more than just average (if even that good) this season in EuroLeague. And that was with him playing for a Greek coach that was going out of his way to help him. There is definitely no guarantee at all that Dorsey has any future with Greece's national team, based on his performances so far.

For example, for me personally, I'd rather have young Greek guards like Giannoulis Larentzakis or Lefteris Bochoridis on the national team than Dorsey right now. Honestly, if not for the team having an American head coach at the moment, Dorsey certainly wouldn't have any set place in the team at all. In terms of guys counting as Greece's naturalized players under FIBA's age 14 rule, or whatever it is - Dorsey isn't even the first choice. Michael Bramos gets picked first to the training camp every summer over Dorsey, but he keeps refusing to play, claiming that he's too tired to play with the national team anymore. But that should give you an idea of where Dorsey's standing is at the moment. Zach Auguste might also be ahead of Dorsey in that category, based on how he plays with Panathinaikos this season.

So if Mitrou-Long was good enough, he could definitely replace Dorsey / Zach Auguste for the national team. The whole issue with Mitrou-Long and Greece's national team is just is he good enough. If he wants to play for Greece, he can't just be a G-League player. But right now it's really not related to Dorsey, because so far Dorsey is just another player for EuroLeague level.
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#3502 » by Mattd97 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 3:02 pm

Show me the link confirming that he has said he's committed to Greece. Would love to see it since canada has still been inviting him to all their camps
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#3503 » by mojo13 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 6:34 pm

Mattd97 wrote:Show me the link confirming that he has said he's committed to Greece. Would love to see it since canada has still been inviting him to all their camps

Yeah - I'd like to see that link too.

The last I read on this was that prior to the 2019 World Cup Greek federation "officials" traveled o the US to talk to "Greek" NBA players, and that supposedly included distant diaspora Naz Long.
The supposed intent was to gauge his interest to play for Greece in the WC. Nothing else I saw was mentioned (and I was looking). Naz was not on any player pool or invite list for Greece (that I saw made public - please link if you have it as he was not on Greece 19 man invite list). So one can infer he said "N" to Greece. However he was on Canada's expanded invite list for their WC training camp. Linked here:
http://basketball.ca/canada-games-s16612/news-article/30-athletes-invited-to-attend-senior-mens-national-team-training

Now this might be a stretch considering the history of Team Canada and who actually showed up to camp, but you'd think Canada Basketball talked to Naz and at least had some belief he might play for Canada (Note no Brazdeikis on this list) or why even invite him? (maybe not considering what a pipe dream that list turned out to be) But he ended up saying "No" to Canada as well and who knows what it all means one way or another. My read is he is still non-committal and I don't know which way it goes.

At the very least I see no evidence he has "committed" to play for Greece. Even if he has said something, he is technical not committed to either nation.

It seems he obviously has a better shot playing for Greece considering their considerably weaker talent pool - especially at guard. And it may be financially beneficial to do so if he ever ends up playing pro in Greece. But no one ever shows up to play for Canada so maybe Canada gives the better option. He certainly would have made the WC roster if he showed up.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#3504 » by frumble » Wed Sep 2, 2020 7:29 pm

Kenter16 wrote:Always tough to rank players but if I went by tiers it would be:
1. Murray, SGA, Wiggins
2. TT, KO, Brooks, Clarke, Powell
3. Dort, Barrett, CoJo, Birch, Lyles, Boucher
4. NAW, Kabengele, Long, Mulder, Shayok, Alexander, Brazdeikis, Brissett

This is a pretty accurate tiering. I would put Cojo in tier 2. His advanced numbers in Sacramento are encouraging. They are just simply much better when Cojo is playing.

I like the list too. Only change I would make is to swap Clarke and Wiggins. And this is not taking into account contract or expectations or anything like that; I think Clarke is flat out better than Wiggins now.
(and within Tier 2, I would have Powell and KO ahead of Wiggins).
Also agree that Joseph probably belongs in Tier 2 rather than 3.

Kenter16 wrote:It doesn't sound like the NBA schedule and the FIBA schedule are going to line up at all. I saw an article that the December 1st start date for the NBA is now not happening. It is likely they start later in December, maybe even on Christmas Day. This would push the regular season into July (likely), unless they do a compressed schedule or play 50 games. A lot seems like it is up in the air for this.

Yup. The more relevant list is what Mojo posted above (non-NBA guys).
Kenter16
Junior
And1: 91

Post#3505 » by Kenter16 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:56 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

What a performance from Lu. He is all heart.
Shai was only ok all series. OKC need a bit more out of him to win this one. All in all great experience for two guys that will hopefully play together for the National Team.
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,705

Post#3506 » by Kurtz » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:31 am

Yea, Dort is awesome. If anyone still think Wiggins is more valuable than Dort, I'd be surprised.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#3507 » by Kenter16 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:40 pm

Kurtz wrote:Yea, Dort is awesome. If anyone still think Wiggins is more valuable than Dort, I'd be surprised.

Dort scoring 30 has nothing to do with Wiggins. Proclaiming Dort is better after having a career night is irresponsible. Wiggins is still good no matter how many points Dort scores.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#3508 » by Kenter16 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 1:59 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

What? Did anybody see this coming? The only time I have seen Nash in the last couple years is on Bleacher Report champions league coverage. Didnt seem like something he was interested in.

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,705

Post#3509 » by Kurtz » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:22 pm

Kenter16 wrote:
Kurtz wrote:Yea, Dort is awesome. If anyone still think Wiggins is more valuable than Dort, I'd be surprised.

Dort scoring 30 has nothing to do with Wiggins. Proclaiming Dort is better after having a career night is irresponsible. Wiggins is still good no matter how many points Dort scores.

It has absolutely everything to do with Wiggins because we're directly comparing Wiggins to Dort.

I don't think you understand how insane it is to see Dort completely shut down the best scorer in the league while putting up 31 in a pressure-packed game 7. Yeah, he went Marcus Smart from the 3 - but it's not about that, it's that killer mentality that Dort has shown that the greats have. To suggest that the soft-headed Wiggins is a superior player even at this juncture, let alone headed into the future, I think is completely wrong.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3510 » by mojo13 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 9:46 pm

Kenter16 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

What? Did anybody see this coming? The only time I have seen Nash in the last couple years is on Bleacher Report champions league coverage. Didnt seem like something he was interested in.

Yes. Seemed strange and uprising to me as well. I picked up no whiff of his interest in coaching. Mostly everything public post-retirement has been tied to soccer.
He was not much involved in Basketball Canada as a GM - and his "consulting" role with Golden State seemed pretty low profile.
Perhaps on both accounts he was much more actively involved than the public perceived.

Supposedly he is fairly tight with and respected by KD - who had much to do with this.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#3511 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 4:03 pm

Mattd97 wrote:Show me the link confirming that he has said he's committed to Greece. Would love to see it since canada has still been inviting him to all their camps

I didn't say that Mitrou-Long said he committed to play with Greece. I said there was statements from the Greek Federation about it. I don't know where a link would be, because this was back several months ago. I can't remember exactly when, so I don't know where to search for it on a site, or even what site really. It was either some time before the World Cup, or some time a bit after it.

It wasn't any statement from Mitrou-Long. It was something like a reporter asking the federation president and later vice president about it. They said something along the lines of [paraphrasing] - We went to the US to talk to Mitrou-Long and he committed to our national program. So there is a chance that he would play for Greece in the future, but you can only have one naturalized player under FIBA rules.

Then they had the talks about who is considered "naturalized". The federation's rules are no one can play for the national team unless they are born in Greece, or their parents have Greek nationality at the time they are born (same laws as USA) - there can be some very special exceptions if they deem the player to be of a "great value to Greece".

Although Peja Stojakovic and Rony Seikaly both wanted to play for Greece, and were not given that special exemption. So it seems to be a really high standard. But a couple years back, the federation president said that nowadays they would have granted Peja and Seikally the right to play with the national team. So they did loosen that special exemption rule just a bit. But it's still supposed to only be for extreme cases of special talent and ability.

But even though these players had parents with Greek nationality at the time they were born, they still count as "naturalized" because FIBA has a rule now that you can't play unless you had been in the county by age 14.

So they listed:

Michael Bramos
Zach Auguste
Tyler Dorsey
Naz Mitrou-Long

as the current "naturalized players". They said Bramos has been the first choice of the federation every summer, but he always refuses to play, saying he's too old and tired. Then they talked about how Auguste would have already been invited to training camp, but he never sent his papers to FIBA to register with the national team. They talked about how he implied he would do so in the near future.

They also mentioned players that could play for Greece that would not count as "naturalized", and could play for Greece without taking a naturalized spot.

Sasha Vezenkov
Aleksej Pokusevski (would be natural Greek under FIBA rules - but the federation would have to grant the special exemption)

That both have the rights to play with Greece under the federation's rules and that also wouldn't count as "naturalized" under FIBA's rules. But then they said that at the time being they seem committed to Bulgaria and Serbia's programs instead.

On Mitrou-Long, they just said that he and Dorsey then could be logical camp invites, but that at the time, Mitrou-Long never came to Greece, so they have no idea on how good of a player he is.

There was also some talk about these "naturalized rules", since FIBA seems to apply them to some teams only. Like examples like Nigeria were brought up, where they can have 10-12 players on their team that have never lived in Nigeria, but other countries can only have one player that wasn't in their country by age 14.

Evidently, these rules can be enforced or not based on the level of a country's competitiveness. So basically, those rules can get enforced if another country's federation asks for them to be. So apparently no one cares about teams like Nigeria doing it.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#3512 » by Kenter16 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 5:24 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

So, Murray did this to Kwahi... He gets you excited for a full strength Canada squad. He is playing all world right now.

mojo13
Veteran

Post#3513 » by mojo13 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:47 pm

Mirotic - just to clarify the naturalization rules have nothing to do with age 14 or "Being in the country".

The rule (as I understand it) is that a player needs to have proof that they acquired citizenship by age 16 to not be considered a naturalized player.
There are no requirements about residing in a country (unless that is a precursor to citizenship). And proof of citizenship is a key - as most if not all countries around the world don't provide you automatic citizenship if you were born outside the country (different from citizenship rights). You may qualify and have a "right" to citizenship but you need to apply or otherwise register that citizenship otherwise how the country even know you exist?

For example - I am a Canadian and my children are born in the U.S. Although they are automatically eligible for Canadian citizenship due to my citizenship, I still need to file paperwork with the government of Canada and get a citizenship certificate (and/or passport). Otherwise how does Canada even know about them?

FIBA is saying this needs to be done prior to age 16 to not be considered "naturalized". This holds true for a child who may have immigrated to a country and later became a citizen. They must have proof of citizenship before age 16.

These Greek players may have a birth right to Greek citizenship, but unless they claim it (register it and get documented proof) before age 16 then they are "naturalized". You may try to find counter-examples but this is a rule enacted 5+ years ago (not sure when) and they grandfathered people in before the rule - like Nick Calathese.

I don't know for sure - but those Nigerian examples all probably got their Nigerian citizenship prior to 16. Or somehow came up with "proof" that they did (I am sure some countries are willing to forge documents).

Personally I think this is a good rule as it cuts down on the shenanigan of loose citizenship for athletes and a free market where the highest bidders land multiple impact players. You still see abusers - I understand some middle east countries are importing very young promising basketball players, getting them citizenship before age 16 in hope they will turnout to be gifted players.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#3514 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:58 pm

mojo13 wrote:Mirotic - just to clarify the naturalization rules have nothing to do with age 14 or "Being in the country".

The rule (as I understand it) is that a player needs to have proof that they acquired citizenship by age 16 to not be considered a naturalized player.
There are no requirements about residing in a country (unless that is a precursor to citizenship). And proof of citizenship is a key - as most if not all countries around the world don't provide you automatic citizenship if you were born outside the country (different from citizenship rights). You may qualify and have a "right" to citizenship but you need to apply or otherwise register that citizenship otherwise how the country even know you exist?

For example - I am a Canadian and my children are born in the U.S. Although they are automatically eligible for Canadian citizenship due to my citizenship, I still need to file paperwork with the government of Canada and get a citizenship certificate (and/or passport). Otherwise how does Canada even know about them?

FIBA is saying this needs to be done prior to age 16 to not be considered "naturalized". This holds true for a child who may have immigrated to a country and later became a citizen. They must have proof of citizenship before age 16.

These Greek players may have a birth right to Greek citizenship, but unless they claim it (register it and get documented proof) before age 16 then they are "naturalized". You may try to find counter-examples but this is a rule enacted 5+ years ago (not sure when) and they grandfathered people in before the rule - like Nick Calathese.

I don't know for sure - but those Nigerian examples all probably got their Nigerian citizenship prior to 16. Or somehow came up with "proof" that they did (I am sure some countries are willing to forge documents).

Personally I think this is a good rule as it cuts down on the shenanigan of loose citizenship for athletes and a free market where the highest bidders land multiple impact players. You still see abusers - I understand some middle east countries are importing very young promising basketball players, getting them citizenship before age 16 in hope they will turnout to be gifted players.

Yeah, those are the listed rules, but something is clearly not jiving. I know that's what FIBA rules say, but the Greek federation claims these different rules. I actually looked this up a little bit a few days ago, and I found similar comments from Spain's federation, although I forgot to bookmark it and can't find it now.

But Spain's federation was pretty much saying the same exact thing. A player has to be in the country by age 14, or they are naturalized for Spain, while some other countries can have 10-12 players that were not in that country. It really makes no sense, compared to FIBA's listed rules, but it seems quite odd that two of the biggest European federations would be saying that, and also basing who can play for their national teams on that.

I also looked at Nigeria's national team, to see if this was true. Sure enough it is. They have often had 10-11 players on their national team that were born and raised in the USA. That was even the case at the 2019 world cup. So something definitely doesn't jive with FIBA's listed rules.

Nigeria's 2019 national team, under FIBA listed rules, only 2 of the players on the team would have actually been eligible to play as natural. So then only one of the other 10 players would have been eligible to play as "naturalized". That mean's just 3 players of the 12 being accounted for under FIBA's listed rules. So somehow, 9 other players played, even though they wouldn't be allowed to under FIBA's rules.

Personally, I really don't care one way or another, if the rules are tightened for naturalized players or loosened. But they really shouldn't be making different standards for different teams. Just looking at that Nigeria example, it's completely ridiculous. They are just using a USA team in every tournament.

Now let's apply these listed FIBA rules to Spain's national team, since that's how I found some other discussion on this. If FIBA's listed rules are true, then both Serge Ibaka and Nikola Mirotic can play together on Spain's national team. However, they have never been allowed to and are both counted as naturalized. Spain has been arguing this and appealing this to FIBA, and FIBA simply refuses. They never allow them to both play on Spain's national team, even though under FIBA's listed rules, both should be able to play.

Ibaka would count as naturalized, because he came to Spain at 17. However, Mirotic would not be counted as naturalized, because he came to Spain at age 15. So, under FIBA's listed rules, Ibaka would take the sole naturalized place, while Mirotic would be counted as a natural player. Hence, they could both play on the national team at the same time.

FIBA has never allowed that, and counts both of them as naturalized. I found some comments from Spain's federation about that, where they said the same exact thing Greece's federation said. Unless a player is in the country at age 14, they are naturalized, and any player that isn't in the country at age 14 cannot play for Spain, unless they count as a naturalized player.

So same exact thing as Greek federation claims, and a very clear and obvious example, where the applied standard does not match at all to what the listed rules are. Because under the listed rules, Mirotic should count as a natural player for Spain. But he doesn't.

So the listed rules simply don't match to how national teams are being governed.

If we just look at this from what seems like a very obvious viewpoint, you have teams like Spain and Greece, that have been ranked in the top 5-10 of the world rankings ever since they started the rankings, then you have a team like Nigeria that has never even gotten remotely close to a top 10 ranking. You have European basketball that is quite developed, while in Africa, the sport is quite under developed. Therefore, Spain doesn't need Ibaka and Mirotic, even though they should have both under the rules. But Nigeria, yeah, they can use any and all the help they can get.

That's absolutely what it looks like, if you break it down. There really is no other reason for them to not allow Mirotic to be a natural player for Spain, unless we want to get into conspiracy theories that Team USA didn't want to face a Spain NT where both Mirotic and Ikaba could play on it. And, it seems pretty clear it has nothing to do with that, when Greece's federation says the same rules about being in the country by age 14 are applied to their players.

As for Calathes and Koufos, before it was said, as you said, that they played before these rules changes, so it didn't matter to them. But I remember that was also clarified that they had been to Greece and filed papers when they were children. Koufos was actually filed right after he was born. So this strangely again makes no sense. Because under the listed rules, they wouldn't be naturalized, but neither of them lived in Greece by age 14, so they should both be naturalized under the rules being applied to these other Greek diaspora players like Mitrou-Long. Yet, Calathes and Koufos are not counted as naturalized.

Another inconsistency......that this was changed 5 years ago, and players before that were grandfathered in. But Michael Bramos played with Greece's national team before that. Well before that actually. He was already on Greece's team and playing games in 2011. The federation is adamant in its comments that he counts as a naturalized player, because he was not living in Greece by age 14.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3515 » by mojo13 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:05 pm

The 1st and 2nd All Rookie Teams were announced yesterday .
Brandon Clarke on the 1st and RJ Barrett on neither.

Not surprised with either, but I can see some debate for RJ Barrett on the 2nd. He was inefficient, on a team with terrible fits around him, but he put up enough raw counting stats to be on the 2nd team over perhaps Coby White or Terrance Davis. Again - debatable and I have no issue with him not making the 2nd team.

Clarke had an fantastic rookie season with hyper-efficient play. I don't think anyone here was really advocating that RJ is the better player at this stage, but if anyone is clinging to that thought, this should end it (Clarke is almost 4 years older, so this is to be expected at this point). The question to me recently has been whether Barrett or Dort is better at this time.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3516 » by mojo13 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:02 pm

Watching Jamal Murray evolve into a star this playoffs has been exciting. Its clear we now have an alpha to construct a team around if we are ever so lucky to Qualify and have a deep roster turnout for a major FIBA event.

It has me thinking about how (in a perfect world) you'd build a FIBA team around Murray. I shudder to imagine Dillon Brooks on the floor with Murray taking the ball out of Jamal's hands and hiking up awful shot after awful shot (Brooks seems he'd be much better as spark off the bench when Murray sits down). It also has me thinking if Andrew Wiggins and/or RJ Barrett could be bad fits with Jamal as well (too early to tell on Barrett and Wiggins could actually be good depending on how he molds into Golden State). SGA seems just too good and versatile to not be a great compliment.

Kelly Olynyk is the closest thing we have to Jokic and think would be ideal on the floor with Murray. Dort/CoJo seem like a good compliment ala Gary Harris as a more defensive oriented guard. Brandon Clarke looks he would be ideal as well. Super efficient, low usage, can hit the three and covers for some of the defensive limitations of Murray and Olynyk.

It there a spot for non-shooting bigs like TT, Birch, Powell? Do you need the defense/rebounding? Powell as an elite roll guy is interesting, but Clarke seems to already offer more versatility. Do guys who can semi-stretch the floor and still rebound/defend like Chris Boucher or Trey Lyles become elevated around Murray?

What do you think is an ideal 5 man unit with Murray?

I'm leaning:
Murray
Dort/Cojo
SGA
Clarke
Olynyk
Kenter16
Junior

Post#3517 » by Kenter16 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:54 am

Murray
Cojo
SGA
Olynk
Thompson

I would put Thompson at the 5 and shift Olynk away from the basket. Thompson is a great screen setter and offensive rebounder.
I love Clarke's game, he would be the first guy off the bench for me.
Dort is a rotation guy for me. Valuable but not startable. Obviously, I am speaking in terms of full attendance. He is a liability offensively. Hopefully he builds off his last game and develops more offensive skills. He has the athleticism to do it.

Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#3518 » by Hair Canada » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:20 pm

mojo13 wrote:Watching Jamal Murray evolve into a star this playoffs has been exciting. Its clear we now have an alpha to construct a team around if we are ever so lucky to Qualify and have a deep roster turnout for a major FIBA event.

It has me thinking about how (in a perfect world) you'd build a FIBA team around Murray. I shudder to imagine Dillon Brooks on the floor with Murray taking the ball out of Jamal's hands and hiking up awful shot after awful shot (Brooks seems he'd be much better as spark off the bench when Murray sits down). It also has me thinking if Andrew Wiggins and/or RJ Barrett could be bad fits with Jamal as well (too early to tell on Barrett and Wiggins could actually be good depending on how he molds into Golden State). SGA seems just too good and versatile to not be a great compliment.

Kelly Olynyk is the closest thing we have to Jokic and think would be ideal on the floor with Murray. Dort/CoJo seem like a good compliment ala Gary Harris as a more defensive oriented guard. Brandon Clarke looks he would be ideal as well. Super efficient, low usage, can hit the three and covers for some of the defensive limitations of Murray and Olynyk.

It there a spot for non-shooting bigs like TT, Birch, Powell? Do you need the defense/rebounding? Powell as an elite roll guy is interesting, but Clarke seems to already offer more versatility. Do guys who can semi-stretch the floor and still rebound/defend like Chris Boucher or Trey Lyles become elevated around Murray?

What do you think is an ideal 5 man unit with Murray?

I'm leaning:
Murray
Dort/Cojo
SGA
Clarke
Olynyk

Yes, watching Murray has really been a pleasure. We all knew he could do that once in a while, but to bring it consistently on the biggest stage against tough defenses is a huge jump. Hopefully, that's gonna be the new normal for him. If it is, he's a top-3 PG in this league.

For the ideal starting five, if we are realistic, we are talking three years from now at the earliest (the 2023 WC). Murray and SGA seem like sure things. I'm also down with Olynyk and Clarke, who are two of my favorite players. The last position would be either a SG or a SF (as Shai can play both, as well as the PG). And here I think it's really hard to know how things will look like in 3 years. Maybe Brooks learns to recognize his limitations or improves his efficiency. Then I kind of like him as an energy defender and second or third creator coming from a (hopefully) successful Memphis team. Maybe Barrett takes a leap and becomes a decent scorer/creator in this league (3 years is an eternity for a 20 years old). Maybe Wiggins settles into a nice rotation role in GS and surprises us all with decent defense, better efficiency, and a willingness to play for team Canada (I'll admit that there seem to be too many ifs here). Maybe Dort improves offensively (I tend to agree though that I might prefer him as an energy guy coming off the bench). Or maybe it's even someone like NAW who suddenly finds his footing (and shooting) in the league and becomes a nice fit alongside his cousin and Murray. And I haven't even mentioned Co-Jo yet or some wild-card out of college or high school.

In short, while Jamal and Shai look like they will be at the height of their careers and should only be out of the starting five if they are injured or do not wish to play, the third spot in the backcourt seems wide open. Which is kind of fun for us here whom, in the absence of any Canadian national successes in the last 20 years, can only sit and speculate/fantasize...
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3519 » by mojo13 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:21 pm

Hair - interesting that you seem to have written off the 2021 Olympics already.

I am not feeling good about it either - I'm fairly doubtful we Qualify, and if so, I highly doubt much of our top NBA players will be available for the Olympics. But what if we Qualify and what if (somehow) the NBA season doesn't conflict? 2021 is much more visible in terms of player development - or even a hypothetical best 4 around Murray today?
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#3520 » by Hair Canada » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:38 pm

mojo13 wrote:Hair - interesting that you seem to have written off the 2021 Olympics already.

I am not feeling good about it either - I'm fairly doubtful we Qualify, and if so, I highly doubt much of our top NBA players will be available for the Olympics. But what if we Qualify and what if (somehow) the NBA season doesn't conflict? 2021 is much more visible in terms of player development - or even a hypothetical best 4 around Murray today?

Yes, maybe (hopefully) I'm being over-pessimistic here. But just can't see any of it happening (qualifying or our best NBA players being available) given how the NBA season is shaping up, with the start of the season not before the new year.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash

Return to Toronto Raptors