***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach*****

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#21 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:35 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:This is exciting, not gonna lie. I don’t know how any of this works out, but besides someone like Pop, I prefer this to all the possible retreads and even to retaining Vaughn as the lead.

Vaughn was solid in his short stint, but from reporting I remember during his stint in Orlando and elsewhere as an assistant he is a major hardass and wears on his veteran players quickly, at least and especially when they’re not winning. This team doesn’t need an egotistical, apathetic assclown like Kidd, but they also didn’t need an OCD drill sergeant. He should be a great secondary voice though.

Vaughn seems to have mellowed out though. You never saw him yelling at guys or overreacting, and he made an emphasis on listening to the players. He seemed pretty calm on the sidelines and even in interviews.

I'm eager for Steve to get started.

Summer 2016:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

We are going to be discussing KD to the Warriors for the foreseeable future. This is an unprecedented move on a number of levels, a top 3 player, former MVP, joins the team he lost to in the playoffs (after taking a 3-1 series lead). As the days and weeks continue, stories will continue to leak out about what went into KD’s decision and about his time in OKC.

We all know about the KD Jerry West phone call, according to Sports Illustrated’s Lee Jenkins, another former player had a role in “recruiting” Durant. A Warriors executive said: “Without Steve Nash, I’m not sure if we get Kevin Durant”

Steve Nash, now the Warriors player development consultant, and KD connected back in 2014 for a conversation on Vice Sports and the two discussed basketball and their philosophies and preferred style of play. Nash thrived and became a 2X MVP in Phoenix playing in an up tempo pace and space offense. And we now know KD has been longing to play in a more free flowing system predicated on spacing and ball movement. Warriors assistant Bruce Fraser spoke of Nash’s role:

“Steve knows us—our culture and our guys—so well. He doesn’t sell anybody on anything. He’s just a great sounding board.”

Fraser and Nash were in close contact during the KD recruitment process and no doubt they were able to share notes and present what they thought would appeal to KD. As Durant was mulling his decision he was able to visualize all of the possibilities within the Warriors system and hopes to fully maximize his game and win a championship.

kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#22 » by kamaze » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:37 pm

:o Steve Nash? I'm shocked.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#23 » by GTR11 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:38 pm

Rarely you see great players become good coaches. I'm not sure how I feel about this.
Paradise

Post#24 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:40 pm

Press Conference is Sept 9th

Read on Twitter
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,682

Post#25 » by Vampirate » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:42 pm

Raps fan here, I like the move. Nash is a good hire on Principal because he's a Hall of Fame player so the players, mainly Kyrie and KD should at listen if not buy in.

Also, Nash is not only a great basketball player but he's just very intelligent person overall as he has a University degree.

Time will tell, overall a risky hire but one that could pay dividends.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#26 » by MGrand15 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:51 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:This is exciting, not gonna lie. I don’t know how any of this works out, but besides someone like Pop, I prefer this to all the possible retreads and even to retaining Vaughn as the lead.

Vaughn was solid in his short stint, but from reporting I remember during his stint in Orlando and elsewhere as an assistant he is a major hardass and wears on his veteran players quickly, at least and especially when they’re not winning. This team doesn’t need an egotistical, apathetic assclown like Kidd, but they also didn’t need an OCD drill sergeant. He should be a great secondary voice though.

Vaughn seems to have mellowed out though. You never saw him yelling at guys or overreacting, and he made an emphasis on listening to the players. He seemed pretty calm on the sidelines and even in interviews.

Yeah, I think during the bubble Vaughn talked about how much he's changed as a coach since his time in Orlando. He talked about being more accepting of young players (his one example was letting guys shootaround in durags which I fully support :lol: ) and being more relaxed. Didn't seem like lip service - the guy was a rock in the bubble. Loved what I saw from him on and off the court and I'm glad he's back.
Paradise

Post#27 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:52 pm

Read on Twitter
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#28 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:54 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

I had thought that too, I would have much preferred retaining Vaughn to most other possible options like Lue, Thibs, or Jeff Van Gundy, etc.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#29 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:59 pm

I did not want Jacque Vaugn, but I'm skeptical of this move.

It's certainly not the safe move. I think were all a little scarred after the Kidd move.

I personally would have preferred Ty Lue as a safe option.

But lets trust Marks. I'm willing to give this a chance. .
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#30 » by Shark » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:01 pm

I'm okay with this move. Obviously there's a huge risk hiring someone that doesn't have head coaching experience, but Nash was a smart player and hopefully that'll translate to his coaching career.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#31 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:03 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Yeah, I think during the bubble Vaughn talked about how much he's changed as a coach since his time in Orlando. He talked about being more accepting of young players (his one example was letting guys shootaround in durags which I fully support :lol: ) and being more relaxed. Didn't seem like lip service - the guy was a rock in the bubble. Loved what I saw from him on and off the court and I'm glad he's back.

He definitely seemed to have calmed down a lot, and what I do love about Vaughn is he is very focused, goal driven, success orientated and to the point, but while still maintaining a realistic, intelligent outlook on the environment around him. He's just a smart guy who cuts a lot of the fat out of things and gets down to business and calls it like it is, instead of fluffing everything up to pander to false narratives.

I'm definitely happy he was retained, though it feels like it's only going to be a short stint til a job that really interests him opens up and he's a head coach again. I'm guessing that's a lot of why he stayed, not only to see this through, but because none of the current openings interested him nearly as much as staying here as lead assistant.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#32 » by GTR11 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:10 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#33 » by ProspectPark » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:14 pm

Read on Twitter
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#34 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:25 pm

Very off the grid, but if I was a nets fan I’d be relieved it was a retread like Hollins or McMillan.

Can’t wait to see what Steve has up his sleeve
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,851

Post#35 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:27 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

MAY!!!!!!!!!??? :o :o :o

Marks runs a tight ship. I like it
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Paradise

Post#36 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:30 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

MAY!!!!!!!!!??? :o :o :o

Marks runs a tight ship. I like it

He did the very same thing with the Atkinson hire.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,466

Post#37 » by Stone » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:32 pm

I'm just as surprised as everyone else. Particlaly about the length of the contract 4 years. I hope that comes with options. This could be a make or break move for Sean Marks. Although it looks like Joe Tsai signed off on it as well.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Welcome to Brooklyn , Coach Nash !!...... :beer:
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Paradise

Post#38 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:49 pm

Read on Twitter
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#39 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:51 pm

Read on Twitter

It amazes me when Stephen A wants to pull this stuff out of his ass.

Mark Jackson got himself black balled by his behavior in Golden State. His race is not the reason why he isn't getting jobs, it's because he's a homophobic ass hole.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#40 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:57 pm

Paradise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Part of me likes how candid Spencer is, but another part of me feels like this guy probably thinks he's going to get traded, which sucks.

I mean yeah Caris has been amazing but Spencer was playing at an all star level for a good stretch of the season...he should at least give himself some more credit.

Return to Brooklyn Nets