Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,442

Re: Nets hire Steve Nash as their coach 

Post#21 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Sep 3, 2020 8:06 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09

I'm sorry for presenting this possible controversial post. But Steven A. Smith is once again making a complete AZZ out of himself bu implying racial ( white ) priveledge for the Nash hiring. Despite both Irving and Durant themselves lobbying for it. Also discounting his incredible Basketball IQ and acumen, and his time spent with the GS Warriors, As well as his impressive accolades. It's just a very poor and sad inference on his part, That only seeks to further diminish what little if any credibility he has left. :nonono: :crazy:
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#22 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 10:05 pm

I'm a little butthurt my favourite player of all time is going to coach the Nets after all these years of wanting nothing to do with us but I totally understand the opportunity and I wish him all the best. Unlike the Warriors who were still pretty young and trying to take that next step, the Nets have two of their best players with 3 championships between them and really wanting to "do it on their own" this time so there's going to be a lot of pressure on Nash.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
GoodBehavior
Senior
And1: 370

Post#23 » by GoodBehavior » Thu Sep 3, 2020 10:19 pm

Nets are a likable team outside Kyrie. Kevin Durant have nothing but nice things to say about Book, Monty, and the Suns in general. He made a reputation-hurting decision joining the dubs. Prior to that, he was one of the most likable figure in the game. Levert, Dinwiddle, Joe Harris, etc are very fun to watch.

With Nash in the mix, I am a fan. I have no idea how good of a coach he's going to be though, but they have a good blend of players and who knows how the east is going to be shaped. Bucks, Philly could be looking at a makeover. Jimmy and Goran is getting older in Miami. I think they can make serious noise, if he can rein in Kyrie.
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#24 » by suns12345 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 10:35 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

I'm sorry for presenting this possible controversial post. But Steven A. Smith is once again making a complete AZZ out of himself bu implying racial ( white ) priveledge for the Nash hiring. Despite both Irving and Durant themselves lobbying for it. Also discounting his incredible Basketball IQ and acumen, and his time spent with the GS Warriors, As well as his impressive accolades. It's just a very poor and sad inference on his part, That only seeks to further diminish what little if any credibility he has left. :nonono: :crazy:

Yeh not sure about this take,

To say he is deserving but then it is an issue of privelidge.

He is not the first guy to be hired with no experience as per Realgm wiretap

Mark Jackson, Jason Kidd and Derek Fisher all were hired without prior coaching experience in recent seasons.

And he brings up Mark Jackson as someone more deserving yet Mark got hired with no experience too. Just seems like a stretch.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#25 » by ATTL » Thu Sep 3, 2020 10:59 pm

cberry78 wrote:
ATTL wrote:It's too bad he doesn't want anything to do with the suns.

What would he have done with the Suns though? We already have an awesome head coach and I doubt he would leave the NYC area for any reason than being the HC somewhere worth his while (GSW, PHX, DAL, TOR, etc), so that means no Asst Coach (which would have been awesome). His only real options were the Nets and Knicks and I can't blame him for making that decision.

Personally I would rather have him be a free-lance player development consultant (like he really was for GSW) and we send him players to work out with (DB, CamJ, KO, RR - all 4 of them would benefit).

I think he would have gotten the job over Monty if he expressed any interest last summer. I think he would have been given the GM job if he wanted it over James. I believe steve would have been given any job in the building if he expressed any desire for it.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,911

Post#26 » by grumpysaddle » Thu Sep 3, 2020 11:22 pm

Have always wanted him back in some capacity. Happy he's getting the shot, and outside of Kyrie, the Nets are a really likable team.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#27 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 11:49 pm

ATTL wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
ATTL wrote:It's too bad he doesn't want anything to do with the suns.

What would he have done with the Suns though? We already have an awesome head coach and I doubt he would leave the NYC area for any reason than being the HC somewhere worth his while (GSW, PHX, DAL, TOR, etc), so that means no Asst Coach (which would have been awesome). His only real options were the Nets and Knicks and I can't blame him for making that decision.

Personally I would rather have him be a free-lance player development consultant (like he really was for GSW) and we send him players to work out with (DB, CamJ, KO, RR - all 4 of them would benefit).

I think he would have gotten the job over Monty if he expressed any interest last summer. I think he would have been given the GM job if he wanted it over James. I believe steve would have been given any job in the building if he expressed any desire for it.

100%. I truly believe at any point since Nash's retirement, if he wanted to come back in some capacity, whether it's as a consultant, assistant coach or HC, we would've laid out the red carpet for him. Sarver loves a good story
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,371

Post#28 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:31 am

I loved the Nets team and players, but when they added Kyrie and Durant, not really any longer. And if Nash is avoiding the Suns to go work for others, I'm not going to root for him.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#29 » by cberry78 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:37 am

bwgood77 wrote:I loved the Nets team and players, but when they added Kyrie and Durant, not really any longer. And if Nash is avoiding the Suns to go work for others, I'm not going to root for him.

What if he's just avoiding Sarver?
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#30 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:50 am

cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I loved the Nets team and players, but when they added Kyrie and Durant, not really any longer. And if Nash is avoiding the Suns to go work for others, I'm not going to root for him.

I thought they had a good relationship.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#31 » by cberry78 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:08 am

bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:

No clue honestly, just spit-balling'. Throwing **** at the fan to see what sticks. :lol:

But how would it change your opinion of Nash if that was the case?
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#32 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 5:14 am

cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:What if he's just avoiding Sarver?

No clue honestly, just spit-balling'. Throwing **** at the fan to see what sticks. :lol:

But how would it change your opinion of Nash if that was the case?

I don't really care that much about what Nash does at this point.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#33 » by Kerrsed » Fri Sep 4, 2020 5:38 am

bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:

I dont believe so. Nash has had ZERO interactions with the Suns since he left. Nothing, in any capacity, not even a sent in video for Suns night. I for one do not believe one bit that he likes Sarver. Nash was a Dantoni guy, and on top of that professional enough to not trash the team/FO. But lets be real, Sarvers cheap ways in the past have hurt the Suns and Nash. The JJ trade was all about Sarver not wanting to pay the money for him (Telling him to get offers from other teams and we would match, but then not following through), along with many many others who were let go or traded not to benefit the team with better talent, but as a cheaper option.

As for the "Controversy" about hiring Nash above others.......eh, i go back and forth. Nash has ZERO experience as a coach, the closest he has is what he did on the court directing the offense. But then again we have seen in the past that when you have a loaded team with star players, you can have just about anybody as a coach. I do laugh at "Mark Jackson, Jason Kidd and Derek Fisher all were hired without prior coaching experience in recent seasons." being used as an excuse to show that black coaches have been given the benefit of a doubt as well. You cant say "Recent Seasons" and use Mark Jackson's GS start in coaching 10 years ago as recent. Even Kidd's recent start to coaching was 7 years back. 3 black names and 2 of them are far from recent.

Look, it is unusual to hire a guy with no coaching background whatsoever. Its a gamble. Its also a cheaper option. Now the issue i have with the race debate is you have names like Jackson and Kidd and Fisher being thrown out there, like why they arnt given a chance to coach the Nets, and honestly its up to the FO. Personally i wouldnt want any of them as my coach when you look at their records, their systems, their history with players they have coached in the past, and their controversy's associated with their tenure as coaches. I wouldnt pick one of them over Nash for all those reasons, but not because of Race.

I think the guy that gets screwed over the most when it comes to these coaching vacancy's is Patrick Ewing. The guy is responsible for developing both Yao Ming and Dwight Howard. After spending years and year as an assistant coach and having his name brought up with every coaching vacancy, yet being passed on every time, he decided screw the league and went back to Georgetown to be the headcoach of his alma mater.

Now i will say that i dont think Black coaches get a fair shake in the league. Right now there are only 4 out of 30 teams. That number is crazy low when you consider how many players go on to become assistant coaches and player development coaches. There is definitely a glass ceiling at that point that very very few are actually able to break through. I also believe that they tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to their tenure with teams. I dont have the numbers or even know if they support what im saying, but it just seems are much much more likely to fire a black head coach quicker than a white one. Ive seen alot of black coaches getting fired after a season or two, yet you see horrible white coaches that fans are begging for the team to replace somehow get the benefit of the doubt and continue on for another 3+ seasons (Im looking at you Chicago/Washington).
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#34 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 5:50 am

I had just remembered Sarver not wanting to trade him to the Lakers, but he decided to do it for Nash because he wanted to be cloers to his kids, and thought Nash appreciated that. And then for some reason I thought they had invested or tried to buy a soccer team together or something like that.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#35 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 6:42 am

Kerrsed wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:What if he's just avoiding Sarver?

I dont believe so. Nash has had ZERO interactions with the Suns since he left. Nothing, in any capacity, not even a sent in video for Suns night. I for one do not believe one bit that he likes Sarver. Nash was a Dantoni guy, and on top of that professional enough to not trash the team/FO. But lets be real, Sarvers cheap ways in the past have hurt the Suns and Nash. The JJ trade was all about Sarver not wanting to pay the money for him (Telling him to get offers from other teams and we would match, but then not following through), along with many many others who were let go or traded not to benefit the team with better talent, but as a cheaper option.

As for the "Controversy" about hiring Nash above others.......eh, i go back and forth. Nash has ZERO experience as a coach, the closest he has is what he did on the court directing the offense. But then again we have seen in the past that when you have a loaded team with star players, you can have just about anybody as a coach. I do laugh at "Mark Jackson, Jason Kidd and Derek Fisher all were hired without prior coaching experience in recent seasons." being used as an excuse to show that black coaches have been given the benefit of a doubt as well. You cant say "Recent Seasons" and use Mark Jackson's GS start in coaching 10 years ago as recent. Even Kidd's recent start to coaching was 7 years back. 3 black names and 2 of them are far from recent.

Look, it is unusual to hire a guy with no coaching background whatsoever. Its a gamble. Its also a cheaper option. Now the issue i have with the race debate is you have names like Jackson and Kidd and Fisher being thrown out there, like why they arnt given a chance to coach the Nets, and honestly its up to the FO. Personally i wouldnt want any of them as my coach when you look at their records, their systems, their history with players they have coached in the past, and their controversy's associated with their tenure as coaches. I wouldnt pick one of them over Nash for all those reasons, but not because of Race.

I think the guy that gets screwed over the most when it comes to these coaching vacancy's is Patrick Ewing. The guy is responsible for developing both Yao Ming and Dwight Howard. After spending years and year as an assistant coach and having his name brought up with every coaching vacancy, yet being passed on every time, he decided screw the league and went back to Georgetown to be the headcoach of his alma mater.

Now i will say that i dont think Black coaches get a fair shake in the league. Right now there are only 4 out of 30 teams. That number is crazy low when you consider how many players go on to become assistant coaches and player development coaches. There is definitely a glass ceiling at that point that very very few are actually able to break through. I also believe that they tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to their tenure with teams. I dont have the numbers or even know if they support what im saying, but it just seems are much much more likely to fire a black head coach quicker than a white one. Ive seen alot of black coaches getting fired after a season or two, yet you see horrible white coaches that fans are begging for the team to replace somehow get the benefit of the doubt and continue on for another 3+ seasons (Im looking at you Chicago/Washington).

Kerrsed back from the grave!

Good seeing you back on the board mate
Hesh
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,142

Post#36 » by Hesh » Fri Sep 4, 2020 10:44 am

bwgood77 wrote:

At first I was actually surprised by your take on this, and didn't know you held this viewpoint on Nash. But after thinking about it, I never really did care what these Suns legends chose to do - unless it was currently relevant to the franchise (except for maybe Chuck). Even all the random things that Stoudemire gets involved in, I don't really have an interest. But in this case, it does seem like Nash is willing to work with any team not named the Phoenix Suns. :lol: Kind of strange. IIRC, he's even tried to help Trae with his game, who was a rookie. I think he interviewed Booker, once.

And yeah, Sarver and him have some joint venture as co-owners of a soccer team in Europe, IIRC. So, they seem to remain in contact as business partners. Makes it even more confusing that that he wouldn't choose the suns for any of his endeavors.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#37 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 11:49 am

Hesh wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

At first I was actually surprised by your take on this, and didn't know you held this viewpoint on Nash. But after thinking about it, I never really did care what these Suns legends chose to do - unless it was currently relevant to the franchise (except for maybe Chuck). Even all the random things that Stoudemire gets involved in, I don't really have an interest. But in this case, it does seem like Nash is willing to work with any team not named the Phoenix Suns. :lol: Kind of strange. IIRC, he's even tried to help Trae with his game, who was a rookie. I think he interviewed Booker, once.

And yeah, Sarver and him have some joint venture as co-owners of a soccer team in Europe, IIRC. So, they seem to remain in contact as business partners. Makes it even more confusing that that he wouldn't choose the suns for any of his endeavors.

Yeah, he's NEVER taken an interest really. Was he even back for that 50 year reunion? Probably I guess, but I certainly don't remember it. I do typically pull for ex Suns when they leave if I liked them. I pulled for Amare, Marion and like seeing TJ do well. But I don't have THAT much of an interest. But if they because we chose to move on, or due to trade, it is easier for me to want to see them do well. For Nash, he basically wanted to sign with our biggest rival in free agency, and we accomodated him by doing a sign and trade. I never thought he'd even work well with Kobe, and it didn't end up lasting long. He has never seemed to be too interested in the Suns since he left. The Suns I have most appreciated over the years are the ones who retired here or especially pretty much spent their entire years here. People know I love KJ, but he was the heart of the team from day 1 until he left, and then he even came out of retirement for the playoffs one year.

I was never quite as enormous of a fan of Chuck as many, though of course I was still a big fan of him and loved that team, but it was really only 3 years (his 4th was not a good one...Finley was probably the most exciting part). However, what I do appreciate about Chuck is that even though he may say some negative things about the Suns at times, you can tell he still feels a part of the Suns and loves the fans, wants them to do well, I think roots for them, and is a part of the valley. I don't watch him that much or care much for his overall opinions, but I think he feels more connected to the Suns because of his 4 years here than Nash does after we drafted him, brought him back, gave him an offense, he won two MVPs with us, etc. And you see so many other ex Suns wanting to be a part of the team and it's operations somehow (Tom Chambers, Eddie Johnson, Alvan Adams, Mark West, etc).

I don't know...maybe he has some ill will with Sarver.....you would have thought if he did it might have been more because of Kerr, bringing in Porter, trading Marion, etc. But of course he helped with GS. I'm sure he wasn't happy we had to let Amare go after the years they had together. So I guess I can see him not being a real fan of Sarver, just not keeping what works together, starting with Joe Johnson and ending with Amare...the team just seemed to slowly get dismantled starting with Joe, then Marion, then Amare..Grant Hill was a nice add to the end...but I imagine he wasn't too stoked about the team his last two years....I think he enjoyed playing with Grant Hill though.
Hesh
Bench Warmer

Post#38 » by Hesh » Fri Sep 4, 2020 12:20 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Hesh wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yeah, he's NEVER taken an interest really. Was he even back for that 50 year reunion? Probably I guess, but I certainly don't remember it. I do typically pull for ex Suns when they leave if I liked them. I pulled for Amare, Marion and like seeing TJ do well. But I don't have THAT much of an interest. But if they because we chose to move on, or due to trade, it is easier for me to want to see them do well. For Nash, he basically wanted to sign with our biggest rival in free agency, and we accomodated him by doing a sign and trade. I never thought he'd even work well with Kobe, and it didn't end up lasting long. He has never seemed to be too interested in the Suns since he left. The Suns I have most appreciated over the years are the ones who retired here or especially pretty much spent their entire years here. People know I love KJ, but he was the heart of the team from day 1 until he left, and then he even came out of retirement for the playoffs one year.

I was never quite as enormous of a fan of Chuck as many, though of course I was still a big fan of him and loved that team, but it was really only 3 years (his 4th was not a good one...Finley was probably the most exciting part). However, what I do appreciate about Chuck is that even though he may say some negative things about the Suns at times, you can tell he still feels a part of the Suns and loves the fans, wants them to do well, I think roots for them, and is a part of the valley. I don't watch him that much or care much for his overall opinions, but I think he feels more connected to the Suns because of his 4 years here than Nash does after we drafted him, brought him back, gave him an offense, he won two MVPs with us, etc. And you see so many other ex Suns wanting to be a part of the team and it's operations somehow (Tom Chambers, Eddie Johnson, Alvan Adams, Mark West, etc).

I don't know...maybe he has some ill will with Sarver.....you would have thought if he did it might have been more because of Kerr, bringing in Porter, trading Marion, etc. But of course he helped with GS. I'm sure he wasn't happy we had to let Amare go after the years they had together. So I guess I can see him not being a real fan of Sarver, just not keeping what works together, starting with Joe Johnson and ending with Amare...the team just seemed to slowly get dismantled starting with Joe, then Marion, then Amare..Grant Hill was a nice add to the end...but I imagine he wasn't too stoked about the team his last two years....I think he enjoyed playing with Grant Hill though.

Something definitely was/is going on behind closed doors, because Amare and Nash didn't really seem to say much about eachother after he went to the Knicks. It wasn't like there was any bad blood, but it was just like "whatever, I'm moving on", after being a powerhouse in the west for a long tenure. Wasn't that the reason why Nash was crying after the loss to the Lakers? In that, he knew it was most likely his last chance to chase a ring, because it was common knowledge within the Suns personnel that Amare was going to leave - that he'd get a huge contract and there was no way Sarver would match. It was over for the Suns.

I get what you mean by the Suns doing everything to appease him at the tail end of his career, out of sheer respect for him. He was already being treated as Suns royalty at that point, even while being traded to a rival team. So I also don't understand this animosity that he has towards the suns franchise. Like you said, it's as though Chuck feels more passionate about suns from his limited time on the team and what that did for his legacy, as opposed to someone who built himself entirely on Phoenix soil.

Ah well. Good luck to Nash. I will be keen to see how this turns out. But let's be truthful, with KD and Kyrie on this team, it would run more like a panel, rather than Nash as the superior leader.

I do have an interest in seeing Warren do well on other teams, but I don't think he'll do anything that will really jump out. What other fans are seeing of him right now is what we've known all along. Good player, but not great.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#39 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:00 pm

Hesh wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Hesh wrote:

Something definitely was/is going on behind closed doors, because Amare and Nash didn't really seem to say much about eachother after he went to the Knicks. It wasn't like there was any bad blood, but it was just like "whatever, I'm moving on", after being a powerhouse in the west for a long tenure. Wasn't that the reason why Nash was crying after the loss to the Lakers? In that, he knew it was most likely his last chance to chase a ring, because it was common knowledge within the Suns personnel that Amare was going to leave - that he'd get a huge contract and there was no way Sarver would match. It was over for the Suns.

I get what you mean by the Suns doing everything to appease him at the tail end of his career, out of sheer respect for him. He was already being treated as Suns royalty at that point, even while being traded to a rival team. So I also don't understand this animosity that he has towards the suns franchise. Like you said, it's as though Chuck feels more passionate about suns from his limited time on the team and what that did for his legacy, as opposed to someone who built himself entirely on Phoenix soil.

Ah well. Good luck to Nash. I will be keen to see how this turns out. But let's be truthful, with KD and Kyrie on this team, it would run more like a panel, rather than Nash as the superior leader.

I do have an interest in seeing Warren do well on other teams, but I don't think he'll do anything that will really jump out. What other fans are seeing of him right now is what we've known all along. Good player, but not great.

With Amare, we would have matched the contract if we could get insurance in the case of injuries or missed games, which we couldn't get. We didn't feel comfortable with his knees. The Knicks were fine with no insurance.

He would have stayed if we would have risked it without insurance, but it was 5 years. We definitely would have extended the window 1 more year. He was really good in 10-11. After that he began to drop off some, playing only 47 and 29 games the next 2 years, so it would have been tough. We might have had a solid run in the playoffs if he was back in 11-12 but then been stuck with the last 3 years of an overpaid contract. It probably would have been worth it in hindsight, or 1 or maybe 2 more shots, despite are fun 13-14 season, knowing we sucked mostly anyway, and the Morris and Len picks wouldn't have been missed...after that we may have been about the same as we were, if Dragic still came back...he was great with the pick and roll or pop...if we had Frye and Amare it would have maybe worked...still could have traded Dudley for Bledsoe..most everything probably still could have happened. Might not have had the Dragic money but it seems we also spent money on Beasley and tried to give Gordon a max so maybe could have still signed Dragic.
Hesh
Bench Warmer

Post#40 » by Hesh » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:25 pm

bwgood77 wrote:He would have stayed if we would have risked it without insurance, but it was 5 years. We definitely would have extended the window 1 more year. He was really good in 10-11. After that he began to drop off some, playing only 47 and 29 games the next 2 years, so it would have been tough. We might have had a solid run in the playoffs if he was back in 11-12 but then been stuck with the last 3 years of an overpaid contract. It probably would have been worth it in hindsight, or 1 or maybe 2 more shots, despite are fun 13-14 season, knowing we sucked mostly anyway, and the Morris and Len picks wouldn't have been missed...after that we may have been about the same as we were, if Dragic still came back...he was great with the pick and roll or pop...if we had Frye and Amare it would have maybe worked...still could have traded Dudley for Bledsoe..most everything probably still could have happened. Might not have had the Dragic money but it seems we also spent money on Beasley and tried to give Gordon a max so maybe could have still signed Dragic.

Suns med staff wouldn't sign off, and rightfully so. The prediction was eerily accurate. But I always thought that having those 2 years of superstar Amare would of been interesting, and probably worth the second half of that bad contract (teams always have bad contracts to manage). We probably could've traded him to a desperate team at some point. He took his game up a notch - albeit only for a season where he was healthy, but that was amazing.

Those were truly dark times right after he left - games were so boring (excluding the Horniceck era) and one thought it couldn't get much worse... :lol:

We wouldn't have acquired Bledsoe, that was a McD move. McD wouldn't be there if Amare was still around. Possibly could have got Dragic back.

Beasley, Shannon Brown, VC, Warrick, Turk..the list goes on. My goodness. A short relief from the likes of Dragic, Frye, Green, Bledsoe, and then it started again with scrubs up and down the roster. I get physically ill just thinking about it.

Return to Phoenix Suns