Moderator: THE J0KER

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Re: Michael Porter Jr 

Post#141 » by THE J0KER » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:01 am

skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:I'm a big Denver fan only since Nikola Jokic arrived, but I follow the NBA much longer, and I can't remember any player of MPJ talent level which career is ruined with injuries. There are several very physical bigs (centers and forward-centers) which are really damaged (Camby, Hilario, Martin, McDyess...), but that is a completely different type of players compared to the pure shooter and scorer MPJ, type of the players which tends to have a prolonged career (like Anthony for example).
Rebel talked about Denver Nuggets history, and that we losing guys like MPJ due injuries again and again, and I (correctly) note that actually there is no such example in Denver of elite talent, except for couple physical Denver's big guys which I noted, not that in the entire history of NBA it never happens (why would I say something that naive anyway?).

Guess you are a neophyte with Denver Nuggets history, Alex English was the leading scorer of the entire decade of the entire NBA in 80's, I'd consider that elite, Carmelo seems like the most recent comparison as you mentioned. Funny, in hockey if someone messes with your stars they have an enforcer type send a message, not so in the NBA. Always considered Millsap as our tough guy but his game has regressed too much IMO.

OK, You won! Alex English played 10 full seasons for Nuggets and in all of them played at least 80 games (never missed more than 2) and finished career at 38! If that is your proof that Denver has very elite shooters which career was destroyed by injuries, you will beat me every time with yours *arguments*. Unfortunately, Fat Lever was not that lucky with his career longevity and health, but during his time in Denver, he missed just 20 games in 8 seasons.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#142 » by skywalker33 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:36 am

THE J0KER wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:I'm a big Denver fan only since Nikola Jokic arrived, but I follow the NBA much longer, and I can't remember any player of MPJ talent level which career is ruined with injuries. There are several very physical bigs (centers and forward-centers) which are really damaged (Camby, Hilario, Martin, McDyess...), but that is a completely different type of players compared to the pure shooter and scorer MPJ, type of the players which tends to have a prolonged career (like Anthony for example).
Rebel talked about Denver Nuggets history, and that we losing guys like MPJ due injuries again and again, and I (correctly) note that actually there is no such example in Denver of elite talent, except for couple physical Denver's big guys which I noted, not that in the entire history of NBA it never happens (why would I say something that naive anyway?).

Guess you are a neophyte with Denver Nuggets history, Alex English was the leading scorer of the entire decade of the entire NBA in 80's, I'd consider that elite, Carmelo seems like the most recent comparison as you mentioned. Funny, in hockey if someone messes with your stars they have an enforcer type send a message, not so in the NBA. Always considered Millsap as our tough guy but his game has regressed too much IMO.

OK, You won! Alex English played 10 full seasons for Nuggets and in all of them played at least 80 games (never missed more than 2) and finished career at 38! If that is your proof that Denver has very elite shooters which career was destroyed by injuries, you will beat me every time with yours *arguments*. Unfortunately, Fat Lever was not that lucky with his career longevity and health, but during his time in Denver, he missed just 20 games in 8 seasons.

Not hard to do, just check your history if you want to be known as a true Nuggets fan.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#143 » by THE J0KER » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:47 am

skywalker33 wrote:Not hard to do, just check your history if you want to be known as a true Nuggets fan.

My English is far from perfect when I writing, but I have no problems to understand when reading others. But in this case, I don't understand what you are trying to say with this short message.
skywalker33

Post#144 » by skywalker33 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:15 am

THE J0KER wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Not hard to do, just check your history if you want to be known as a true Nuggets fan.

My English is far from perfect when I writing, but I have no problems to understand when reading others. But in this case, I don't understand what you are trying to say with this short message.

I don't have a problem with your English, have to deal with more and more Euros as the market gets more Int'l players. And BTW, I can't speak a lick of Serbian, so I'd say you're ahead of the game. Perhaps there is a bit of misunderstanding going on, I thought you said you were "correct" when you said we had"no elite non-big scoring type" in Denver history, I was just trying to enlighten you as to who Alex was, as I noted you have only been a Nuggets fan since Jokic got here.

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#145 » by THE J0KER » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:23 am

skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:

I don't have a problem with your English, have to deal with more and more Euros as the market gets more Int'l players. And BTW, I can't speak a lick of Serbian, so I'd say you're ahead of the game. Perhaps there is a bit of misunderstanding going on, I thought you said you were "correct" when you said we had"no elite non-big scoring type" in Denver history, I was just trying to enlighten you as to who Alex was, as I noted you have only been a Nuggets fan since Jokic got here.

But You obviously didn't understand. It is a discussion not about all-star/HoF level Nuggets players, but these with such potential which INJURIES destroyed career. Rebel talked about them, but I confess that I don't know about any such player from Denver history (except a couple of bigz).
Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#146 » by Hogified05 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:00 pm

Am I absolutely nutty to think if Aaron Gordon and MPJ were to swap teams they would both reach their maximum potential. We need a wing scorer in the worst way. With Issac hopefully back in 2022 he erases a lot of MPJ defensive deficiencies. MPJ is free to let loose on offensive knowing he is the man. You guys need some defensive help badly. AG remedies that right away, Mitchell would not be going insane with AG on him. Still get his but not at the clip he is now. Plus he will know his role immediately. Murray and Jokic are the top dogs. I think AG's best role is the 3rd best player who isnt counted on for 20 a game, he is a more athletic Draymond to me.

Would AG for MPJ interest anyone? Or are you guys already in love with MPJ?
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#147 » by psimanic1 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:10 pm

Hogified05 wrote:Am I absolutely nutty to think if Aaron Gordon and MPJ were to swap teams they would both reach their maximum potential. We need a wing scorer in the worst way. With Issac hopefully back in 2022 he erases a lot of MPJ defensive deficiencies. MPJ is free to let loose on offensive knowing he is the man. You guys need some defensive help badly. AG remedies that right away, Mitchell would not be going insane with AG on him. Still get his but not at the clip he is now. Plus he will know his role immediately. Murray and Jokic are the top dogs. I think AG's best role is the 3rd best player who isnt counted on for 20 a game, he is a more athletic Draymond to me.

I would rather see if MPJ could play better defense. He is still young, this is his first season from high school and he wasnt asked to do much on defense as he wasnt given big minutes in regular season, but when he sees that defense could give him 30-35 minutes instead of 20-25 next year, i am sure he will try to get better on that side, he shows flashes almost every game, but he is still raw. You cant ask 15mpg player to be your best defender when you need him, especially when your team defense sucks because your best backcourt defenders are out. Lets see how he plays tomorrow, and hopefully against Kawhi and PG.
skywalker33

Post#148 » by skywalker33 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:34 pm

Hogified05 wrote:Am I absolutely nutty to think if Aaron Gordon and MPJ were to swap teams they would both reach their maximum potential. We need a wing scorer in the worst way. With Issac hopefully back in 2022 he erases a lot of MPJ defensive deficiencies. MPJ is free to let loose on offensive knowing he is the man. You guys need some defensive help badly. AG remedies that right away, Mitchell would not be going insane with AG on him. Still get his but not at the clip he is now. Plus he will know his role immediately. Murray and Jokic are the top dogs. I think AG's best role is the 3rd best player who isnt counted on for 20 a game, he is a more athletic Draymond to me.

Since when has Gordon become known as a defensive...well, anything ?? He's JAG, maybe a bit above average but nothing close to the potential MPJ STILL has ! Now if you like to all 3-4 #1's we could talk.... :lol:

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#149 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Sep 1, 2020 2:11 am

Oh, I'm pretty certain most of us are in love with Porter. I'm also not so certain Gordon is a defensive stopper. Certainly he's better than Porter, but Porter can improve. Gordon is certainly better than Barton, but it appears Barton is going to be coming off the bench, a role he once excelled at.

But for me this deal would be worse than all of that; in my opinion, Gordon is best with the ball in his hands and Denver's offense is best when Jokic has the ball in his hands. Granted, Jokic doesn't keep the ball long, but Gordon is more of a one-on-one player and that's why several of us can't wait to see Barton come off the bench - because he's best as a one-on-one player. The fit isn't right for Denver. But that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before.
manchambo
Starter
And1: 836

Post#150 » by manchambo » Tue Sep 1, 2020 5:01 pm

psimanic1 wrote:

I would rather see if MPJ could play better defense. He is still young, this is his first season from high school and he wasnt asked to do much on defense as he wasnt given big minutes in regular season, but when he sees that defense could give him 30-35 minutes instead of 20-25 next year, i am sure he will try to get better on that side, he shows flashes almost every game, but he is still raw. You cant ask 15mpg player to be your best defender when you need him, especially when your team defense sucks because your best backcourt defenders are out. Lets see how he plays tomorrow, and hopefully against Kawhi and PG.

His defense is improving game to game in these playoffs. He was solid in the 4th quarter of game 6. I don't see any reason to think he won't be at least a solid defender in the long run. He seems to have a good attitude and he obviously has the tools to be a good defender, with the caveat that he may never be much of a post defender: he is a naturally skinny dude and I'm not sure it would even be advisable for him to bulk up much.

Barkley was going on and on about how he needs to bulk up a few games back. But he's a 6'10" guard basically--turn him into something else and you lose what was so great about him to begin with.
Tigerbird1
Ballboy
And1: 0

Am I correct, when MPJ is on the floor 

Post#151 » by Tigerbird1 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 5:59 pm

there is seemingly an intent by the others players, particularly the guards, not to pass him the ball. When Murry brings it up the court it just seems like he seldom goes to Michael's side of the floor.

MPJ could also do a better job of moving on offense. But it just seems like their exists a chemistry issue or just they don't trust him yet?

Thoughts?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Am I correct, when MPJ is on the floor 

Post#152 » by The Rebel » Tue Sep 1, 2020 6:12 pm

Our offense calls for guys off the ball to either spot up or move to get themselves open, when the plays are for Murray like Malone has been calling then they spot up. Nobody with 2 brain cells is leaving MPJ when you have Craig or Millsap on the court which means he is covered.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#153 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Sep 1, 2020 7:40 pm

Merged the last two posts from another thread - didn't think we needed another "Porter thread".
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#154 » by THE J0KER » Thu Sep 3, 2020 11:25 pm

Read on Twitter

No single point for MPJ despite he is TOP3 talent in this class. Thanks to coach Malone 15mpg for Porter :banghead:
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#155 » by The Rebel » Thu Sep 3, 2020 11:34 pm

THE J0KER wrote:
Read on Twitter

No single point for MPJ despite he is TOP3 talent in this class. Thanks to coach Malone 15mpg for Porter :banghead:

Who cares? Like i have posted many times, I do not know how anybody can even start to argue that Malone does not know what he is doing with developing young players. Outside of Millsap and Plumlee Malone has developed the entire rest of the roster. If Porter wanted to play more than he should have worked harder on his defense earlier, he was given minutes early in the season so he had his chance to earn those minutes.
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,327

Post#156 » by DaFan334 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:33 am

The game tonight shows you why he hasn't played much. There are times he looks so lost out there. I thought he had turned the corner a bit, but tonight he looked like he didn't belong out there. He has talent, but he is going to need some time.
skywalker33

Re: Am I correct, when MPJ is on the floor 

Post#157 » by skywalker33 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:50 am

Tigerbird1 wrote:there is seemingly an intent by the others players, particularly the guards, not to pass him the ball. When Murry brings it up the court it just seems like he seldom goes to Michael's side of the floor.

Not sure I buy that theory about MPJ getting shunned by the guards, something to look out for.

Tigerbird1 wrote:MPJ could also do a better job of moving on offense. But it just seems like their exists a chemistry issue or just they don't trust him yet?

I do agree MPJ needs to get into the flow of the offense, I've caught him (and a few other players as well) flat-footed on the offensive end as well. But to say there's a chemistry issue seems short-sighted. Just my opinion, a bit negative for your first post dontcha think ?

skywalker33

Post#158 » by skywalker33 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:53 am

THE J0KER wrote:
Read on Twitter

Too much of a popularity contest to mean a thing IMO.

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#159 » by THE J0KER » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:07 am

DaFan334 wrote:The game tonight shows you why he hasn't played much. There are times he looks so lost out there. I thought he had turned the corner a bit, but tonight he looked like he didn't belong out there. He has talent, but he is going to need some time.

No, this game shows how *works* Malone scapegoat (or Blame Game) strategy on young players. Nurkic and Beasley look great in Portland and Minnesota literally since the very first day, but they didn't look so great at all in their final days and weeks in Denver with broken chemistry and status in the team. For 3pt Porter is 19-45 in bubble seeding games, 14-28 in the first 5 games of the playoff, and... just 1-14 in the last three games! Malone just killed shooting confidence of the team's most efficient shooter, and ironically, even with destroyed FG% and limited minutes, Porter is Nuggets leading player in +/- category in these three last games as the team's best rebounder. And during the season Denver has monster W-L winning stats in games MPJ played over 15 minutes, so the team would lose nothing if he played more. And wholes in his defense should be the reason why he should play more minutes this regular season because he is the rookie which missed his college career so how else to learn better defense without playing.

Miami was also a strong playoff team, their team and coach is known for elite defense, but since the first day of the season he maximizes playing time of rookies Nunn and Hero because that is the winning formula to make couple extra useful players for the playoff.
skywalker33

Post#160 » by skywalker33 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:18 am

THE J0KER wrote:
DaFan334 wrote:The game tonight shows you why he hasn't played much. There are times he looks so lost out there. I thought he had turned the corner a bit, but tonight he looked like he didn't belong out there. He has talent, but he is going to need some time.

No, this game shows how *works* Malone scapegoat (or Blame Game) strategy on young players. Nurkic and Beasley look great in Portland and Minnesota literally since the very first day, but they didn't look so great at all in their final days and weeks in Denver with broken chemistry and status in the team. For 3pt Porter is 19-45 in bubble seeding games, 14-28 in the first 5 games of the playoff, and... just 1-14 in the last three games! Malone just killed shooting confidence of the team's most efficient shooter, and ironically, even with destroyed FG% and limited minutes, Porter is Nuggets leading player in +/- category in these three last games as the team's best rebounder. And during the season Denver has monster W-L winning stats in games MPJ played over 15 minutes, so the team would lose nothing if he played more. And wholes in his defense should be the reason why he should play more minutes this regular season because he is the rookie which missed his college career so how else to learn better defense without playing.

Miami was also a strong playoff team, their team and coach is known for elite defense, but since the first day of the season he maximizes playing time of rookies Nunn and Hero because that is the winning formula to make couple extra useful players for the playoff.

Neither Nurkic nor Beasley were rookies when they landed in POR/MIN, very poor example. This game was a game of exhaustion, we were emotionally spent. If you want to take it out of Malone, OK, he's not on my favorite list either. However, to think MPJ could've been a Savior, he's really still a rookie and you need time to develop as a rookie, he's NOT there yet.

Return to Denver Nuggets