6%

Total votes: 18

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Re: WCQF: Oklahoma City Thunder vs Houston Rockets | P1 

Post#421 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:12 pm

Galloisdaman wrote: Now if you take them out of the equation OKC is left with SGA, Dennis, Adams and Balzey as their talent. All good players but how would you rank that talent in comparison to the rest of the league?

Last in the west, which is what we need for at least a year.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#422 » by Galloisdaman » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:15 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote: Now if you take them out of the equation OKC is left with SGA, Dennis, Adams and Balzey as their talent. All good players but how would you rank that talent in comparison to the rest of the league?

So then the talent is not great. I do not think a year will do it unless some dramatic moves are made.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#423 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:47 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

So then the talent is not great. I do not think a year will do it unless some dramatic moves are made.

Well its not developed so its not great yet. We don't know what it will be but there is some reason for optimism. I think most of us think Shai's ceiling is a really good number two guy. He's been in a fortunate situation the last two years. Going in to year three its time to turn it over to him and see how he does. Maybe he develops or maybe he stagnates. It's time to find out.

Personally I'm pretty intrigued with Bazley. I think he can be a very valuable piece moving forward. He actually ended the year shooting 35% from three. He has the potential to be a very well rounded player. I think he could be part of our core going forward. He strikes me as a high level glue guy.

Dort is likely a keeper but he's got some work to do this off season.

My plan would be to trade up and try to get another very good prospect this year regardless of if that player is Ogongwu, Toppin, Avdija or whoever. I don't have specific player in mind because I don't follow college basketball close enough. You ride out next year with Shai, Bazley, Dort, new prospect and that should get us in the Cade Cunningham or other high pick sweepstakes.

That's gives you quite a bit of young talent and still plenty of assets left to put pieces around it as needed. No its not a full proof plan. Players can bust, get injured or not get along. If the plan doesn't work, re-evaluate after a while and then adjust accordingly. If other things happen like Luka requests a trade to OKC, then do it. However, you can't sit and wait on manna to fall from heaven. It's like my dad always told me, "Plan your work, then work your plan".
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#424 » by Galloisdaman » Fri Sep 4, 2020 2:16 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Last in the west, which is what we need for at least a year.

Well its not developed so its not great yet. We don't know what it will be but there is some reason for optimism. I think most of us think Shai's ceiling is a really good number two guy. He's been in a fortunate situation the last two years. Going in to year three its time to turn it over to him and see how he does. Maybe he develops or maybe he stagnates. It's time to find out.

Personally I'm pretty intrigued with Bazley. I think he can be a very valuable piece moving forward. He actually ended the year shooting 35% from three. He has the potential to be a very well rounded player. I think he could be part of our core going forward. He strikes me as a high level glue guy.

Dort is likely a keeper but he's got some work to do this off season.

My plan would be to trade up and try to get another very good prospect this year regardless of if that player is Ogongwu, Toppin, Avdija or whoever. I don't have specific player in mind because I don't follow college basketball close enough. You ride out next year with Shai, Bazley, Dort, new prospect and that should get us in the Cade Cunningham or other high pick sweepstakes.

That's gives you quite a bit of young talent and still plenty of assets left to put pieces around it as needed. No its not a full proof plan. Players can bust, get injured or not get along. If the plan doesn't work, re-evaluate after a while and then adjust accordingly. If other things happen like Luka requests a trade to OKC, then do it. However, you can't sit and wait on manna to fall from heaven. It's like my dad always told me, "Plan your work, then work your plan".

I think SGA is a good player. He could be a borderline all star if he matures physically and mentally. I think Balzey has shown some legit reasons to be hopeful but still has to show more on a larger scale. I think Dort is hopefully a great defensive player who may struggle on offense. I do not think that is a good nucleus compared to most other teams. I'm very impressed with Dennis. I would encourage him go have a better career than Lou Williams off the bench. I really think he could be an amazing 6th man. He already was this season.

I think the hope to improve would be by trading quantity for quality with the draft picks. Adams should have some trade value as well. I respect Adams heart a lot. It is weird that he is only 26. I'm not sure what will happen with CP3 and Gallo. Both have value as they are good players but their value should be in more supporting roles on contenders based on age.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#425 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:02 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:

I think the hope to improve would be by trading quantity for quality with the draft picks. Adams should have some trade value as well. I respect Adams heart a lot. It is weird that he is only 26. I'm not sure what will happen with CP3 and Gallo. Both have value as they are good players but their value should be in more supporting roles on contenders based on age.

What team, especially in a small market, builds that way? Jokic and Murray, Lillard and Mccollum, Mitchell and Gobert, all came through the draft for their respective teams. Even larger markets like Philly and Boston get most of their guys through the draft and then added pieces in other ways.

OKC has the assets to trade for a good player if he becomes available but sometimes that's easier once your core is in place. It's hard to trade for good young players that are still on rookie contracts. Most teams that have those type of players are rebuilding and don't want to move them. OKC could take a chance on a reclamation project like a Marvin Bagley but I don't see someone like De'Aaron Fox or Morant becoming available.
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#426 » by Galloisdaman » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:51 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
You may be misunderstanding my post.

Yeah...I misunderstood. I agree. We aren't getting anything good picking in the 20s.

Tried to and ! but hit it twice by accident, lol :D
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,076

Post#427 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:19 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Why should we care about getting quality FA right now? The goal is to get quality FA in 2 or 3 years (if they make a good rebuild)

The odds are against a good rebuild on mid to late round picks. I think you increase those odds with some 2 for 1, 3 for 1 or 4 for 1 packages to get higher draft picks or good prospects.

uh?

We trade CP3, Gallo probably going to walk (or S&T) and we trade one of Schroeder or/Adams and we are good to to get a high pick next year.

A line up of Adams/Bazley/SGA/Dort/X + scrubs on the bench is bad enough to get a high pick.

PS : I'm not against trading low picks for a high one, not sure worth it this year (probably worth it if it's 2 for one)
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#428 » by getrichordie » Fri Sep 4, 2020 5:52 pm

Glad to see someone else coming around on the tank...
[twitter] @thunderdustin

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder