ImageImageImageImageImage

Johnnie Bryant thanks Jazz, excited for Knicks job

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,260

Johnnie Bryant thanks Jazz, excited for Knicks job 

Post#1 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:46 am

Bryant, now a former assistant coach of the Jazz, has officially signed with the Knicks as their new associate head coach under Tom Thibodeau.

Marc Spears of The Undefeated first reported the news.

Bryant was grateful to the Jazz organization for having him since 2012.

“To the city and the state that embraced me when I first step foot on the campus of the University of Utah, I say thank you. To the Miller family, Steve Starks, Dennis Lindsey, and Ty Corbin, who believed in me and gave me the opportunity to coach in the NBA, I say thank you. To Quin Snyder who encouraged me daily to be the best coach that I can be, I say thank you. To all the players, co-workers, those at the arena, the friends, and simply everyone, I say thank you,” Bryant said in a statement.

Prior to joining the Jazz in 2012, Bryant was running his own training gym (Bryant Sports Academy). Corbin, the former Jazz coach, was so impressed with the player development work he’s done with Ronnie Price and Paul Millsap and his son Tyrell Corbin that he invited him to join his staff.

Bryant stayed with the Jazz when Snyder replaced Corbin in 2014.

Bryant has since been credited for Gordon Hayward and Donovan Mitchell’s development while in Utah. He has also forged a strong bond with the Jazz current star Mitchell.

It was Bryant, who consoled Mitchell right after his emotional post-game interview in the aftermath of their Game 7 loss to the Denver Nuggets.

Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports reported that Mitchell collapsed into Bryant’s arms and began weeping uncontrollably.

The poignant scene could also have been good friends saying goodbye to each other as they chart new chapters in their respective careers.

Mitchell is said to be closing in on a max deal extension to stay with the Jazz.

Bryant, meanwhile, is excited for the tough task of helping Thibodeau turn the Knicks fortunes around.

“As I embark on new journey, I am very appreciative for this opportunity to coach for the Knicks and I’m excited for my next coaching chapter in New York,” Bryant said.

The hiring is viewed beyond the developmental coaching standpoint. While Bryant is expected to help develop the Knicks young core particularly RJ Barrett, he will also help Thibodeau in managing game situations and in-game plan preparation.

Snyder vouched for Bryant that he’s more than just a developmental coach.

“Tactically, he’s learned [a lot] in the game and on the bench. He’s great on the court with players and you see him develop guys. It’s something we take pride in with our program. Johnnie’s been a big part of that,” Snyder told reporters during the Jazz-Nuggets series.

Bryant’s length of contract was not made available but it is believed to be the same with Thibodeau, who was signed to a five-year deal.

Bryant will join the Knicks when they conduct voluntary workouts as approved by the league for the eight teams that didn’t make the Bubble starting from September 14 until Oct. 6.

https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-york-knicks/johnnie-bryant-thanks-jazz-excited-for-knicks-job/amp/

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Chris Haynes article
https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/the-utah-jazz-arent-done-inside-donovan-mitchells-night-of-disappointment-144653183.html
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,867

Re: Johnnie Bryant thanks Jazz, excited for Knicks job 

Post#2 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:49 am

SUGGESTION: Always post the link you're quoting so the publication gets fair attribution
iLLmatic860
General Manager

Post#3 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 5:25 am

Clyde_Style wrote:SUGGESTION: Always post the link you're quoting so the publication gets fair attribution

Done. Added the Haynes report in also op

When Mitchell finished, Jazz assistant coach Johnnie Bryant — who is taking a job as the associate head coach of the New York Knicks — was waiting for him outside of the large cubicle where Zoom news conferences are held.

Mitchell just collapsed into his arms and began weeping uncontrollably. Bryant and Mitchell are as close as any assistant coach and player. The two embraced for several minutes as the coach consoled Mitchell.

“That’s two years in a row,” Mitchell cried to Bryant, referring to losing in the first round to Houston in five games last season. “We worked too f--king hard for this.”
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,930

Post#4 » by knicks94 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:44 pm

I would be excited as well if I worked for an organization that I know will continue paying me after they fire me.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#5 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Sep 4, 2020 2:39 pm

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:SUGGESTION: Always post the link you're quoting so the publication gets fair attribution

Done. Added the Haynes report in also op

When Mitchell finished, Jazz assistant coach Johnnie Bryant — who is taking a job as the associate head coach of the New York Knicks — was waiting for him outside of the large cubicle where Zoom news conferences are held.

Mitchell just collapsed into his arms and began weeping uncontrollably. Bryant and Mitchell are as close as any assistant coach and player. The two embraced for several minutes as the coach consoled Mitchell.

“That’s two years in a row,” Mitchell cried to Bryant, referring to losing in the first round to Houston in five games last season. “We worked too f--king hard for this.”

yeah. donovan was a mess after that heartbreaker game 7.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#6 » by F N 11 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:29 pm

Its lit
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,495

Post#7 » by adjacent2bench » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:16 pm

Feel like the team is trying to not only develop players, but coaches too. Lot of guys to choose from when Thibs (who's over 60) leaves Hopefully Thibs stays for a long though and has success.
iLLmatic860
General Manager

Post#8 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 5:25 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,146

Post#9 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Sep 5, 2020 1:30 pm

Just wait until he gets a taste of 2 years of being a Knick. Enthusiasm level will be below zero.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#10 » by Oscirus » Sat Sep 5, 2020 8:32 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Just wait until he gets a taste of 2 years of being a Knick. Enthusiasm level will be below zero.

If he makes it to year 3, he'll be a legend.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,145

Post#11 » by Fat Kat » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:18 am

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#12 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:31 am

Big time bump
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,946

Post#13 » by TheGreenArrow » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:36 am

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dsjr under johnnie Bryant.....

I still have hope man I still have hope.
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,200

Post#14 » by DOT » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:52 am

I still think the only way DSJ is on the roster past next year is if he breaks out into a legitimate All Star, and even then he might be traded

Him and Frank are gonna be the first casualties of chasing stars, with their cap holds being like 18 mil each. Just not worth it to keep them around even if they play well, unless you sign them to a cheap extension.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,086

Post#15 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:54 am

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#16 » by robillionaire » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:09 am

i hope dsj can get some explosiveness back, he looked messed up all year, not sure if it was the back injury or the bojangles but he's had a year to get it together now
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,657

Post#17 » by DaGawd » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:24 am

I really don't have any expectations or hope for marked improvement for anyone on the roster other than RJ and Mitch so if someone else steps like DSjr I'd be estatic
BaF
Washington Wizards
YungKnicks
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#18 » by YungKnicks » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:17 pm

DSJ problem is that he can't shoot. The same for Frank and everyone else not name Bullock.
tjumper78
Pro Prospect
And1: 174

Post#19 » by tjumper78 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:31 pm

i dont know anything about him but it seems like a good signing because the jazz fans are not happy with it. lol

Return to New York Knicks