ImageImageImageImage

Magic part ways with radio broadcasters Dennis Neumann, Richie Adubato and Joey Colón (Robbins)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Magic part ways with radio broadcasters Dennis Neumann, Richie Adubato and Joey Colón (Robbins) 

Post#1 » by Knightro » Sat Sep 5, 2020 12:27 pm

Read on Twitter

Key Notes
-The Magic are saying this is another COVID related cutback
-The three radio broadcasters will NOT be replaced, the Magic will instead simulcast the TV broadcast on the radio.
- Neumann, Adubato and Colón had been doing Magic gradio for 29, 15 and 22 years respectively.

Full article: https://theathletic.com/2045721/ ($)
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,962

Re: Magic part ways with radio broadcasters Dennis Neumann, Richie Adubato and Joey Colón (Robbins) 

Post#2 » by Ducklett » Sat Sep 5, 2020 12:32 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

Key Notes
-The Magic are saying this is another COVID related cutback
-The three radio broadcasters will NOT be replaced, the Magic will instead simulcast the TV broadcast on the radio.
- Neumann, Adubato and Colón had been doing Magic gradio for 29, 15 and 22 years respectively.

Full article: https://theathletic.com/2045721/ ($)

Holy crap... this is insane.

Dennis Neumann carried the broadcast for almost 3 decades? What a boss. I hope he finds another radio gig or is able to retire.

This ORG is a disaster from top to bottom.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Re: Magic part ways with radio broadcasters Dennis Neumann, Richie Adubato and Joey Colón (Robbins) 

Post#3 » by Def Swami » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:28 pm

This is awful. Joey Colon and Dennis Neumann are staples of the franchise. Richie Adubator as well, but he was getting older. I wonder if they will be replaced. If not, the loss of Magic broadcasts on radio will be sad. I leaned on those broadcasts during car rides.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#4 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:32 pm

Horrible. Does this mean Steele will have to start calling games like he's doing a radio broadcast? :-?
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#5 » by j-ragg » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:45 pm

These are the guys they let go? And I still have to listen to KAPAYA?

Will always miss Joey's intro w/ the SAP button and his big ass smile. Tough break.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#7 » by basketballRob » Sat Sep 5, 2020 3:55 pm

Looks like we'll be one of the teams trying to save money rather than win games next year.

Can't imagine us resigning DJ or adding any substantial free agents with the MLE this year. They should just go ahead and tank, no fans will attend the games anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#8 » by thelead » Sat Sep 5, 2020 8:30 pm

Can they let Martins, Weltman, and Hammond go as well?
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#9 » by Ducklett » Sat Sep 5, 2020 8:37 pm

thelead wrote:Can they let Martins, Weltman, and Hammond go as well?

Would probably cost them more money to replace those bums.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#10 » by thelead » Sat Sep 5, 2020 8:44 pm

Ducklett wrote:

I’m not sure an AI-based GM/NBA 2k simulator would do any worse.
darthcheech2000
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#11 » by darthcheech2000 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 10:16 pm

thelead wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

I’m not sure an AI-based GM/NBA 2k simulator would do any worse.

This just blew my mind.

It shouldn't have, but it did.

It certainly would be interesting, until it determines moving the franchise to Vegas is the best chance at a championship.
let paid professionals do their job, don't you try and do it for them...
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,172

Post#12 » by Kent » Sun Sep 6, 2020 1:00 am

As much as I like David Steele, if I had to choose between him and Neumann for the call, it's Neumann easily.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Steele will go back to his radio style to accommodate the radio listeners, and just as well, as I like his loose, conversational delivery on TV.

Hopefully those three come back when the economic landscape improves.

And just gotta say, them letting Matt Guokas go was idiotic.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#13 » by OrlandO » Sun Sep 6, 2020 2:34 am

Kent wrote:As much as I like David Steele, if I had to choose between him and Neumann for the call, it's Neumann easily.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Steele will go back to his radio style to accommodate the radio listeners, and just as well, as I like his loose, conversational delivery on TV.

Hopefully those three come back when the economic landscape improves.

And just gotta say, them letting Matt Guokas go was idiotic.

Radio is a dead platform... doubt they will be back.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,697

Post#14 » by Viper1500 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 12:43 pm

Neumann was one of the most talented broadcasters on radio, definitely sad.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#15 » by basketballRob » Sun Sep 6, 2020 2:00 pm

Viper1500 wrote:Neumann was one of the most talented broadcasters on radio, definitely sad.
Hornets need a radio guy.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,214

Post#16 » by J-Mezzy » Mon Sep 7, 2020 8:53 pm

Damn not cool. I mean how much money do these moves actually save?

Joey Colon is a class act. The only way I could afford going to games when I was in high school was winning them in his radio show. This blows
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,858

Post#17 » by Anti Chalmers » Tue Sep 8, 2020 1:39 am

I hope they replace Jeff Turner.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#18 » by TheGlyde » Tue Sep 8, 2020 2:29 am

I feel like all the staff layoffs during COVID could all have been covered by just... Not picking up Melvin Frazier Jr’s team option for next year (which of course they likely still won’t)

But you get my point.

You just don't sign Aminu last year and boom, 100 extra staff at 80k per year for 5 years.

I guess if the Magic don’t use the MLE this offseason then you know the financial situation is really serious.
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#19 » by drsd » Tue Sep 8, 2020 11:21 am

Def Swami wrote:This is awful. Joey Colon and Dennis Neumann are staples of the franchise. Richie Adubator as well, but he was getting older. I wonder if they will be replaced. If not, the loss of Magic broadcasts on radio will be sad. I leaned on those broadcasts during car rides.

The answer:
The Magic will instead streamline their TV and radio broadcasts into one simulcast, citing financial concerns for the decision making.

LINK; Orlando Magic Dismiss Entire Radio Crew

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#20 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:19 pm

I guess with video streaming of games available radio is just not as needed, still sad to see more people let go.
aka: prorl

Return to Orlando Magic